2020-2021 Oakland (Beaumont)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Current M2 here looking to dispel some misconceptions

Without even evaluating the merits of the praise and criticism for OUWB, the truth about OUWB statistically probably lies between the two extremes of it being a paradise and it being a ****show. In short, it's likely in between. Now let's evaluate it for what it is. It is marketed as some sort of antidote to the problems of medical schools, with a strong sense of community, a relative absence of mean "gunner" behavior, and a focus on education

#1 The reality is it is a small school with a centralized campus and a number of mandatories. This makes it easy to meet people, outside of quarantine, and opportunities to make friends. If there are people you will click with you will meet them. This does not guarantee you will fit in or find a group for you. Essentially, you enter the school and hope you can find your crowd. If you don't easily fit a niche, like say you're a loud sporty man or a quiet nerdy woman where there's plenty of people like you, it might be challenging. With bigger schools, you have more opportunities to roll the dice so to speak and find your niche. It can't be stated enough that many of my classmates find friends for life and feel extremely included, but that isn't the truth for everyone.

#2 Gunner behavior yes isn't too bad here. People generally collaborate and contribute. There are raging gunners here but they're in the minority. Volunteer opportunities are aplenty and I like to believe this promotes kindness within the student body. However that doesn't change the fact that people can be ***holes, and you might have to deal with them for a while. I'm familiar with the case of a literal sociopath who tried to threaten and destroy the career of another student, illegally at that, and they're still within the body of 500 students currently enrolled. Some of our students of color don't feel welcome among their white classmates. Microaggressions are a thing and they become especially problematic in MS3. Some lower-income students might feel out of place with all the fancy family vacations or gourmet cooking hobbies. It's a very white and middle to upper-middle-class feeling area and student body, and while this is hardly unique to OUWB, the vibe is more diverse at peer schools like say Wayne State.

#3 Professors DO care about the quality of their teaching. They're here because they're passionate, and we do have some phenomenal lecturers. But the problems with AFCP and BFCP, our foundational courses, and their detraction on our mental health have been made clear and they remain as weed-out-ish as possible. The M4 class had like 5 students repeat the year because of those classes. Many exams are fair, but others aren't and really test your ability to regurgitate. It should be understood however that this is a problem at many medical schools, but OUWB is not the antidote that it claims to be for unfocused or disorganized medical education.

I want to make it clear that OUWB is not a bad school or even a mediocre one, since I've criticized it for several paragraphs, as many other schools have these same issues. I would just advise that you shouldn't necessarily choose OUWB just because of its education and its sense of community, especially considering that it's more expensive for many of us versus a state school. I think it's entirely fair to choose it because you like to be close to family/the location in general or the pretty solid strength of Beaumont Health. If you're turned off by another problem because it has issues that to your understanding OUWB does not have, like an issue with the curriculum at that school, by all means matriculate. Just understand that like any other program, issues persist at OUWB.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
@OUWB Student I agree with you about everything except the professors. I am not saying that they don’t care. They do, at least they think they do. But I don’t care about that. My education still suffers. Their methodologies are still antiquated and medieval and their teaching is style is draconian to say the least. It spills over into organ systems too. I have compared our curriculum to at least 5 other mid tier schools across the country where I have friends and it’s nowhere near the detail orientedness and the useless crap (pardon for my French) that were being fed. Retired NBME questions seem 10 times more reasonable compared to the absolute garbage we get. Telling people they’re “humanities” heavy school and that they have “student centered curriculum” is the cherry on the absurdity cake. This school is the dictionary definition of inhumane and their curriculum is ONLY professor centered. Their draconian methods and outdated curriculum will sooner or later disappear when they leave. That’s just a fact. This absurd has no place in our century. But while they’re here they will make sure to make our lives living hell because it’s their passion to teach physics in neuro section, it’s their passion to have 4 lecures about lymphoma when you can cover it in 30 minutes and move on. That passion is more taxing on their students mental health than they could ever know. I have absolutely 0 sympathy for people who “think they’re doing good” to someone while in reality they ruin lives. Quite literally. That’s all.

PS And I’m sorry for the person who’s life almost got ruined in your class. That really sucks.
It sounds like you're an M1, so I'm not going to diminish your frustration with these classes and how they're taught. I'm sure you're familiar with the problems our class has with musculoskeletal as well. Personally I don't feel the teaching and exams, bar MSK and BFCP, are as bad as others do, but I appreciate their perspective and the fact that the teaching could be much better.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
When reading the above post I would get rid of the emotion and try to understand the rationale behind it. Our education is not ungodly, but it suffers because of minute details being hyperfixated on.

The teaching style is difficult because it varies from professor to professor, but there are more issues than fewer when it comes to how things are run. I wouldn’t call it inhumane (emotional statements detract from fact) because at the end of the day things are always gonna be difficult, but things are not efficient.

I will say that some things make sense to a POINT. We don’t really need the physics to understand action potentials, and we most definitely don’t need to be able to calculate electron potentials. But you can kind of guarantee it’s gonna be on the test. Especially because we had 3 hours of lectures on Potentials. This is something that could be covered in 30 minutes.

And yes, some things are beyond dragged out. We could cover all Hodgkins in 1 lecture and all Non-Hodgkins in another lecture, but each disease “requires” its own lecture it feels. I feel like the professors are also incentivized to make their lectures a full 50 minutes as well, because if we cut the fat then a lot of stuff could be covered in 30 minutes.

As for the person whose life was almost ruined, I’m not sure why we have those types at this school. They dwell among all the classes I guess. The cut-throat persona some people carry is not charming.

I don’t want this to become an emotional debate. I understand that these things get us emotional because they tend to control everything we do in our day-to-day, but emotions and hyperbole will get people to start ignoring your message.
Completely agree with this. Lots of repetitive or unnecessary information that will never be important or would be better contextualized in M3 and M4.

Most people aren't like that individual. Just be wary of who you trust.

Hi Everyone! I hope everyone's cycle is starting to fall into place. Best of luck to everyone.

I was fortunate to receive an acceptance a couple months ago and now I am preparing for medical school to start. I was wondering if any current students could shed some light on materials that are needed/useful for medical school. I currently have an iPad I use for notes, and I am looking into getting a dual monitor. Aside from electronics and study tools, are there any items that I should add to my wardrobe (e.g. comfy tennis shoes, business professional clothes, business casual clothes)? Really any advice in materials that you thought were useful and not useful would be much appreciated. Also I am a girl in case there are any girl - specific items that are noteworthy.
OUWB provides students with a laptop and backpack so you should be set electronic-wise in addition to your iPad. I never used an ipad but I know classmates did and loved them! I didn't feel I needed any other materials for first semester except Netter's flashcards for anatomy (not sure if those are still popular or not) and I got a dry erase board. A handful of students in my class bought laptop stands off Amazon to elevate their computers when sitting in lecture so the screen would be at eyesight. A few students got mouses for their laptops for exam taking.

Once organ systems started in second semester, I purchased the additional outside study resources such as a First Aid book, question banks (I used Rx and Kaplan and there's usually deals around December so pay attention at that time), Pathoma for pathology, and Costanzo for physiology. I got Sketchy pharm and Boards and Beyond videos airdropped from upperclassmen. My only recommendation would be that you can usually get a deal on First Aid or question banks by becoming a member of certain organizations such as AMA.

It wouldn't hurt to get some business casual clothes but I would say that's more important before third year when you start clerkship years and wear business casual most days (unless you're in scrubs). Third year is usually when people will invest in more comfortable tennis shoes for long days when scrub attire is appropriate (not entirely necessary but up to you). Otherwise, first year you are only in business casual/professional clothes maybe once a week for APM or patient panels. For my year, some students got scrubs for anatomy lab specifically because your clothes can get a little smelly or gross even wearing a gown.

If you're not from an area with a harsh winter you'll need a good winter coat and boots!

Otherwise, I did not feel I had to invest in a lot of additional resources/materials. I would also recommend maybe waiting a month to see what you ACTUALLY need once you get into a good groove and establish your study habits. What you need may be different from others depending on your learning style so don't feel pressured to purchase things just because others in the class are.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
I will say that some things make sense to a POINT. We don’t really need the physics to understand action potentials, and we most definitely don’t need to be able to calculate electron potentials. But you can kind of guarantee it’s gonna be on the test. Especially because we had 3 hours of lectures on Potentials. This is something that could be covered in 30 minutes.
This should be reserved to biomedical engineers doing signal or instrument research/device development. Why is OUWB teaching this...

This should be reserved to biomedical engineers doing signal or instrument research/device development. Why is OUWB teaching this...
lol they claim they do it for our rotations. Because that's what the attending will do, he will ask you to calculate the electron potential of your patient. Complete absurd.

• Haha
A basic conceptual understanding is still important for making mechanistic sense of things like seizures and MS. Agree that the calculations aren't necessary for neuro though, it's more the variables involved that matter

For cardio and renal their own calculations are extremely important if you want to make sense of that pathology, even if you don't perform them yourselves on wards

So are we expecting a mass R wave tomorrow? Last interview date is March 12th so we are kinda at the end of the rope I'd say.

Members don't see this ad :)
This school thread has some of the most negativity that I’ve seen from other threads I’ve been frequenting. OU is/was a current top choice of mine, but wow. Idk if it’s just the opinions of those current students who are posting on here, or if OU truly is so polarizing, but I’m really feeling uneasy by the ongoing discourse. I mean, just on this page there are deleted comments of students bickering about how truly good/bad the school is, tales of sociopathic classmates ruining careers, and cries of inhumane teaching practices. Sheesh!

Last edited:
  • Sad
This school thread has some of the most negativity that I’ve seen from other threads I’ve been frequenting. OU is/was a current top choice of mine, but wow. Idk if it’s just the opinions of those current students who are posting on here, or if OU truly is so polarizing, but I’m really feeling uneasy by the ongoing discourse. I mean, just on this page there are deleted comments of students bickering about how truly good/bad the school is, tales of sociopathic classmates ruining careers, and cries of inhumane teaching practices. Sheesh!
Deleted comments are because there was a discussion about this, perhaps some students felt scared (which is really sad, nothing said here was illegal or false, it was all opinions and perspectives. Everyone has a right to share theirs). Overall these problems will be in any school and they are very real. And yes there are shady students who are really trigger happy on "reporting" people and the administration can't ignore it, even if it is for an absurd reason (unlike when there is a real concern about the quality of our education). I am truly sorry you feel uneasy but I think it just boiled up in people (This many people don't just go off for no reason) because no one was listening to them. It is already near impossible to get an admission into an MD school, you would think after a process this selective you will have a responsive environment but that bubble quickly breaks. I just hope that at least something good will come out of this and admin will get more responsive.

Hi guys, current M1 here. This thread really took quite a turn and I just wanted to address a few concerns. First of all, you should remember that only a select few will be coming on here to talk about their frustrations. Many of the students are not aware of what is happening on social media platforms like this, so I would advice that if you want an honest and transparent opinion about the school, reach out to the school and ask them to share a few student emails from M1-M4 years or talk to someone who you've met during your interview because I can assure you they will be very comfortable talking to you about the pros and cons.
There is a lot of frustration in regards to the professor-written/NBME. Keep in mind that STEP is becoming P/F and a lot of schools are slowly transitioning to professor written. One good thing about it is that we have already started building up the questions since certain organ systems have been professor written for quite a while and are taught beautifully, others that are slowly changing definitely have bumps along the road because certain questions can be very detailed and if you don't remember that one exact word, you may or not get that answer correct. But honestly, we had an NBME exam for our heme/lymph final and it literally had the same exact detail orientation as professor written, even more so that I actually started debating whether I even want an NBME final. Of course this will vary from course to course, but as the professors build their questions and flush them out, hopefully they will slowly improve. In terms of professors, they are very willing to assist. They have so many open office hours and are very responsive to questions being asked. I'm not sure where the mentality of the professors working against students came from from some of the comments here, but I have found plenty of support. When you talk to professors, they literally tell you what you should focus on and what is important and that helps so much in navigating how I study.
For the students and community in general, I will be honest and say yes, I have not felt the community that was so strongly emphasized during orientation and what OUWB stood for, and I think that has to do a lot with covid unfortunately. It's really human nature to quickly judge others based on a statement and develop a negative attitude towards them and that has been prominent because we don't know each other. But what I can say is that I have met a lot of other students who are incredible. I have a built a community of great friends and people I can trust and rely on, whether it is talking about concerns, spending time after finals together, complaining about hard an exam is, etc. but its unfortunate that sometimes a select few can create a negative impact on the entire student body, but I think that just means that its a chance for us to come together and build the community.
For those who say pick ouwb only if it is your last choice. I would disagree with that statement. No matter where you go, there will be pros and cons to it. The hospital system and the connections you get to build here with faculty and physicians is really vast. It is so easy to connect with the directors of the residency programs and spend time with them, to the point that they even schedule regular calls with you to make sure you're staying on the right track to get to the specialty you want. Based on the personalities of my classmates, I am positive that a majority of our class will likely end up going more towards the route of surgical specialties/hard core competitive areas because it seems like we are super competitive class that chose the school and hospital to allow us to succeed in those specialities - but that doesnt mean we aren't collaborative. Our classmates share their massive Anki decks that they've worked on, their powerpoint slides, their notes from lectures or office hours that others have missed. You're always gonna have gunners in the class, but it doesn't disqualify the other 80-90% of the students who want to work together and are very collaborative and want to get to know each other.
I would just say in the end that be careful with taking in the very negative hateful comments because it doesn't address the feelings and thoughts of the majority of the students. Those few comments are actually what can sometimes create a negative atmosphere but it completely disregards the positive aspects of the great students here (I literally have amazing M1-M4 students that I always talk to), the mental health support, the fun activities we get to do (for example over winter break, the administration literally sent us canvases and paint over winter break to work on paintings together-, professors set up game nights and book clubs, a lot of great initiatives for volunteering are popping up that I actually feel like I am signing up for way too many). In the end, please reach out to a student directly from the school. Sometimes anonymity can be helpful, but it's really easy way to focus on only the few negatives when anonymous that I'm sure many schools are facing but are not very vocal on it.

Last edited:
  • Care
Reactions: 5 users
Hi guys, current M1 here. This thread really took quite a turn and I just wanted to address a few concerns. First of all, you should remember that only a select few will be coming on here to talk about their frustrations. Many of the students are not aware of what is happening on social media platforms like this, so I would advice that if you want an honest and transparent opinion about the school, reach out to the school and ask them to share a few student emails from M1-M4 years or talk to someone who you've met during your interview because I can assure you they will be very comfortable talking to you about the pros and cons.
There is a lot of frustration in regards to the professor-written/NBME. Keep in mind that STEP is becoming P/F and a lot of schools are slowly transitioning to professor written. One good thing about it is that we have already started building up the questions since certain organ systems have been professor written for quite a while and are taught beautifully, others that are slowly changing definitely have bumps along the road because certain questions can be very detailed and if you don't remember that one exact word, you may or not get that answer correct. But honestly, we had an NBME exam for our heme/lymph final and it literally had the same exact detail orientation as professor written, even more so that I actually started debating whether I even want an NBME final. Of course this will vary from course to course, but as the professors build their questions and flush them out, hopefully they will slowly improve. In terms of professors, they are very willing to assist. They have so many open office hours and are very responsive to questions being asked. I'm not sure where the mentality of the professors working against students came from from some of the comments here, but I have found plenty of support. When you talk to professors, they literally tell you what you should focus on and what is important and that helps so much in navigating how I study.
For the students and community in general, I will be honest and say yes, I have not felt the community that was so strongly emphasized during orientation and what OUWB stood for, and I think that has to do a lot with covid unfortunately. It's really human nature to quickly judge others based on a statement and develop a negative attitude towards them and that has been prominent because we don't know each other. But what I can say is that I have met a lot of other students who are incredible. I have a built a community of great friends and people I can trust and rely on, whether it is talking about concerns, spending time after finals together, complaining about hard an exam is, etc. but its unfortunate that sometimes a select few can create a negative impact on the entire student body, but I think that just means that its a chance for us to come together and build the community.
For those who say pick ouwb only if it is your last choice. I would disagree with that statement. No matter where you go, there will be pros and cons to it. The hospital system and the connections you get to build here with faculty and physicians is really vast. It is so easy to connect with the directors of the residency programs and spend time with them, to the point that they even schedule regular calls with you to make sure you're staying on the right track to get to the specialty you want. Based on the personalities of my classmates, I am positive that a majority of our class will likely end up going more towards the route of surgical specialties/hard core competitive areas because it seems like we are super competitive class that chose the school and hospital to allow us to succeed in those specialities - but that doesnt mean we aren't collaborative. Our classmates share their massive Anki decks that they've worked on, their powerpoint slides, their notes from lectures or office hours that others have missed. You're always gonna have gunners in the class, but it doesn't disqualify the other 80-90% of the students who want to work together and are very collaborative and want to get to know each other.
I would just say in the end that be careful with taking in the very negative hateful comments because it doesn't address the feelings and thoughts of the majority of the students. Those few comments are actually what can sometimes create a negative atmosphere but it completely disregards the positive aspects of the great students here (I literally have amazing M1-M4 students that I always talk to), the mental health support, the fun activities we get to do (for example over winter break, the administration literally sent us canvases and paint over winter break to work on paintings together-, professors set up game nights and book clubs, a lot of great initiatives for volunteering are popping up that I actually feel like I am signing up for way too many). In the end, please reach out to a student directly from the school. Sometimes anonymity can be helpful, but it's really easy way to focus on only the few negatives when anonymous that I'm sure many schools are facing but are not very vocal on it.
thanks for saying this! it’s nice to get the facts in a non emotional way and i’m so thankful for all the students who came forward to share. but we do have to remember response bias is gonna be inherent here. ppl are way more likely to leave a bad review than a good one. but with that said the honesty from students is greatly appreciated

Reactions: 2 users
Current M1 here. First off, I wanted to start off by saying that I never ever ever ever thought I would post anything on SDN, I usually try to stay as far away from it as possible. With that being said, seeing a lot of the comments on this thread made me quite sad and frustrated, so just know I’m not writing this with a faint heart. I’ll start off by saying that this year has been really hard so far. This may come as a shock, but med school is really hard, and mixing in isolation from a global pandemic, losing a lot of aspects of the curriculum that were more hands on, and just generally not being able to grind through it together has certainly taken a toll on our class a great deal.

In addition to this, OUWB is not perfect. No med school is, and if you’re expecting an easy, perfect everything then med school is certainly not the place for you. What saddens me the most though, is how people have taken their frustrations, and run them wild in an anonymous forum. From my personal experience, some of the frustrations voiced on this forum are based in fact, others feel bafflingly absurd. Even the frustrations based in fact feel blown way out of proportion, and this I believe is the stance of many in the M1 class.

It’s unfortunate that negative voices often speak the loudest, but I for one am glad I chose to go to OUWB, and am proud to be a part of this class and program. I urge anyone reading this to not disregard our faults, but to rationalize that many of the comments on this thread have been dramatized and emotionally charged, and to not judge the whole of our school based on a couple people taking out frustration anonymously behind their keyboard.

If you have any questions about OUWB or my experience, feel free to reach out. I’ll be straight up, but it will come from the perspective of someone who has had a positive experience and is proud of OUWB. Hope this offers some clarity,

-Eli Tukel

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
This is getting out of hand. Also an M1 here. And I really don’t think it’s beneficial to continue this debate because every student has their perspective and frustrations. This is what’s blowing it out of proportion. And no one should talk from anyone else’s name. It’s sad that it came to this point that people felt so isolated and ignored that they had to come here but this needs to stop. If you want to actually know what students think talk to them individually. Neither overly phony/positive nor overly negative comments help. Let this go.

Reactions: 3 users
Current M1 here. First off, I wanted to start off by saying that I never ever ever ever thought I would post anything on SDN, I usually try to stay as far away from it as possible. With that being said, seeing a lot of the comments on this thread made me quite sad and frustrated, so just know I’m not writing this with a faint heart. I’ll start off by saying that this year has been really hard so far. This may come as a shock, but med school is really hard, and mixing in isolation from a global pandemic, losing a lot of aspects of the curriculum that were more hands on, and just generally not being able to grind through it together has certainly taken a toll on our class a great deal.

In addition to this, OUWB is not perfect. No med school is, and if you’re expecting an easy, perfect everything then med school is certainly not the place for you. What saddens me the most though, is how people have taken their frustrations, and run them wild in an anonymous forum. From my personal experience, some of the frustrations voiced on this forum are based in fact, others feel bafflingly absurd. Even the frustrations based in fact feel blown way out of proportion, and this I believe is the stance of many in the M1 class.

It’s unfortunate that negative voices often speak the loudest, but I for one am glad I chose to go to OUWB, and am proud to be a part of this class and program. I urge anyone reading this to not disregard our faults, but to rationalize that many of the comments on this thread have been dramatized and emotionally charged, and to not judge the whole of our school based on a couple people taking out frustration anonymously behind their keyboard.

If you have any questions about OUWB or my experience, feel free to reach out. I’ll be straight up, but it will come from the perspective of someone who has had a positive experience and is proud of OUWB. Hope this offers some clarity,

-Eli Tukel
Thank you for sharing your honest perspective :)

Hey guys…I haven’t heard back after my interview and its been 6 weeks. At my interview day, the dean said we will hear back in 4 weeks, so I am not sure what to do in this situation. I was thinking of sending a Letter of Intent, however, the admin did say to send the LOI at the beginning of April. I did not want to blatantly ignore what they said. Is it appropriate to call the admissions about this? Am I silently rejected? Has my application somehow fell through the cracks? Has any one else experienced this? This is my top choice and I am worried. I would appreciate any feedback from anyone! Thanks in advance!

Hey guys…I haven’t heard back after my interview and its been 6 weeks. At my interview day, the dean said we will hear back in 4 weeks, so I am not sure what to do in this situation. I was thinking of sending a Letter of Intent, however, the admin did say to send the LOI at the beginning of April. I did not want to blatantly ignore what they said. Is it appropriate to call the admissions about this? Am I silently rejected? Has my application somehow fell through the cracks? Has any one else experienced this? This is my top choice and I am worried. I would appreciate any feedback from anyone! Thanks in advance!
Definitely don’t call admissions over this. You will get a decision. I remember mine came in a couple weeks later than I expected and I was also super concerned/anxious while waiting. If they say to send LOI only in April, then you should follow that guideline.

Anyone hear nothing from Oakland since submitting your secondary?

Reactions: 4 users
Just withdrew my acceptance. Not to keep fanning the flames, but please remember the experiences shared are certainly valid, but these are likely very similar things you'll find at any med school. I went to OU for undergrad and had close relationships with a good number of OUWB students across different graduation years. They had similar complaints but all loved their time at OUWB, built lifelong friendships, and matched into solid programs (all of them in their top 3 choices). If this is your only acceptance, do not feel discouraged....YOU DID IT! You're going to be a dang doctor and should be very proud of getting over the hardest part in this journey.

• Care
Reactions: 9 users
Pre-II rejection this morning. Was complete very late. Mid November. Good luck everybody.

Interviewed on 2/5, accepted today!! Best of luck to all those waiting to hear back!

• Love
Reactions: 5 users