2021-2022 Uniformed Services University of Health Sciences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Are both interviews during the same week?
As far as I know, yes. You're given a general timeframe (e.g. "Week of August 30th"). About a week before, each interviewer will contact you to schedule times so you'll probably have them on different days.

Members don't see this ad.

I confirmed my interview pretty much within a day of receiving the offer, but still haven't heard from my interviewers. Should I reach out to a contact person? My interview is the week of 9/6, and I already scheduled myself for fewer shifts that week to open up my availability.

Members don't see this ad :)
I confirmed my interview pretty much within a day of receiving the offer, but still haven't heard from my interviewers. Should I reach out to a contact person? My interview is the week of 9/6, and I already scheduled myself for fewer shifts that week to open up my availability.
You'll probably hear from them later next week. I heard from my interviewers the Wednesday/Thursday before the week of my interview.

Reactions: 1 user
I got an II! One of my top schools. Been pursuing medical school on/off for about 10 years now and it's finally all coming together. I couldn't be more excited

Reactions: 5 users
How long did you guys hear back after getting complete email? I just got the application complete email but I've been complete since July......

How long did you guys hear back after getting complete email? I just got the application complete email but I've been complete since July......
I was complete mid-July (supplemental submitted 6/28) and got the "complete" email last week. I by no means intend to speak on behalf of everyone, but it appears that some people who were fully complete at the beginning (supplemental/pre-req match) may have got II emails approx. 5-6 weeks after receiving their "complete" emails. I think these are interesting anecdotal samples, but don't take these as absolutes. Semper Fi

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know how USUHS considers the MCAT? For instance do they only really consider the last score or do they take the best section scores from each attempt,, etc?

Just want to be sure... to submit my SF-86 I need a code. How long since interview extended did everyone receive their code to submit?

Does anyone know how USUHS considers the MCAT? For instance do they only really consider the last score or do they take the best section scores from each attempt,, etc?
They will see all your scores. The MCAT is not weighed heavily. The AAMC recommends that a score of 500 on the mcat is sufficient evidence of the ability to succeed in medical school, and USUHS takes that seriously.

Reactions: 2 users
Just want to be sure... to submit my SF-86 I need a code. How long since interview extended did everyone receive their code to submit?
I got an email title starting with [Dod Safe] with a link to a turn in page. I didn't use any code. Then again, I can't guarantee you that I did this right. This was 2 days after II

I got an email title starting with [Dod Safe] with a link to a turn in page. I didn't use any code. Then again, I can't guarantee you that I did this right. This was 2 days after II
Apperciate the response. It’s been 5 days since my invite so I’m gonna reach out! Good luck with your interview/cycle!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
They will see all your scores. The MCAT is not weighed heavily. The AAMC recommends that a score of 500 on the mcat is sufficient evidence of the ability to succeed in medical school, and USUHS takes that seriously.
Awesome, thank you. Side note, I really like your signature.

Kind of embarrassing to admit, but I looked up the requirements for the Army Physical Fitness Test and couldn't do the minimum sit-ups for in 2 minutes for "maintaining" required for my age and gender. I don't regularly do strenuous exercise and currently have a pretty sedentary lifestyle, but my BMI is normal and I don't think I'm that much less physically fit than the average person. Whenever there have been minimum physical fitness requirements for any program I've been in, I've always been able to meet them easily, so I was a bit surprised. What happens if med students can't meet the physical requirements? Does it happen often?

Last edited:
Would anyone have any idea how likely I am to get a waiver given adderall usage within the last 8 months?

Would anyone have any idea how likely I am to get a waiver given adderall usage within the last 8 months?
The military’s party line is you have to have been off for at least 2 years and been able to function well without it, however there is a lot of variability across branches, case by case, etc. So it depends to some degree

I believe they take the highest score but they see every attempt. Generally speaking, medical schools do not superscore MCAT sections from different exams. From the website:

The Admissions Committee does not average multiple test scores together and any improvement is looked at favorably by the Admissions Committee.

Has anyone here received a specific interview date beyond the "interview week" that they gave us? I would like to have a heads up to plan for work absences, etc...

Kind of embarrassing to admit, but I looked up the requirements for the Army Physical Fitness Test and couldn't do the minimum sit-ups for in 2 minutes for "maintaining" required for my age and gender. I don't regularly do strenuous exercise and currently have a pretty sedentary lifestyle, but my BMI is normal and I don't think I'm that much less physically fit than the average person. Whenever there have been minimum physical fitness requirements for any program I've been in, I've always been able to meet them easily, so I was a bit surprised. What happens if med students can't meet the physical requirements? Does it happen often?
Keep doing the sit-ups, push-ups, etc. It'll be something you'll have to do every year active duty, and I would assume at USUHS, too.

The Army, at least, is moving to a new physical fitness test FYI. Look into it - cardiovascular endurance is more important now, as well as lower body strength.

For the DoDMETS, I went to the ER for a knee issue maybe 10 years ago.. I have no idea who the doctor was or how to find that record. If I just put the hospital name would that suffice? I also have no clue what date it was when my knee injury happened because it was so minor.

Some of the DoDMETS questions seem like a hidden polygraph: "currently or ANY history of acne?".

Y/N: Y
Explanation: "I was once, in fact, a teenager."

Some of the DoDMETS questions seem like a hidden polygraph: "currently or ANY history of acne?".

Y/N: Y
Explanation: "I was once, in fact, a teenager."
So I answered all of these as truthfully as possible and then the NP that gave me my physical told me that it was overboard.

Basically only answer the questions if you were prescribed any medication or had to see a physician for the medical issue. At least that's what the NP told me.

anyone know if the DODMERB physical testing (the running) is on a treadmill or a track?

If I remember correctly there is no run test for DODMERB, you don't have to complete a run until you do your brach of choice's PFT once you're accepted. For the Army those have to be on a track, they cannot be on a treadmill. But I'd be happy to get confirmation from someone else.
No fitness test for DoDMERB other than the physician asking you to do a few mobility movements (e.g. some squats, bends, twists, etc.) to see if you're physically OK. The PFT comes during the 5-6 week officer orientation camp thing.

No fitness test for DoDMERB other than the physician asking you to do a few mobility movements (e.g. some squats, bends, twists, etc.) to see if you're physically OK. The PFT comes during the 5-6 week officer orientation camp thing.
Gotcha thanks everyone! Civilian here, so trying to keep track of everything is... a lot.

Hi everyone. Civilian here. I wanted to ask a clarifying question which I'm pretty sure I know the answer to, but I want to be extra careful of coirse. I was offered an interview (yay!) but obviously applied to other schools as well and would like to have options if I am lucky enough to get into multiples. My service preference is US public health service. If I interview, and I am accepted after the interview to USUHS, I am not obligated to accept, correct? I can decline? Or consider other options? Thanks everyone, I just want to make sure that by interviewing, I'm not accidentally setting myself up for any sort of contractual agreement to say yes if accepted!

Hi everyone. Civilian here. I wanted to ask a clarifying question which I'm pretty sure I know the answer to, but I want to be extra careful of coirse. I was offered an interview (yay!) but obviously applied to other schools as well and would like to have options if I am lucky enough to get into multiples. My service preference is US public health service. If I interview, and I am accepted after the interview to USUHS, I am not obligated to accept, correct? I can decline? Or consider other options? Thanks everyone, I just want to make sure that by interviewing, I'm not accidentally setting myself up for any sort of contractual agreement to say yes if accepted!

You can decline I believe

You can decline I believe
Yes, you can decline. I was accepted last cycle (put Navy as 1st but was given an Army spot). After talking to Capt. Liotta, I decided to decline because (1) my acceptance was last-minute, (2) wanted to give my spot to someone who admired the Army as much as I admire the Navy, and (3) I wanted to tie up loose ends and grow more as an individual.

Anyways, I also got an II today (for the week of Oct. 11th)!

For those still waiting, just know that it takes about 5-6 weeks to hear back after receiving the "complete" email. The wait time increases to about 8-9 weeks (after Nov/Dec) as the cycle goes on.

Edit: More information since people are probably going to ask
3.73/517
WARS: 84-87
Secondary submitted July 4th
"Complete" email received August 9th

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 3 users
Interview invite 20 minutes ago. Stats in signature. Week of October 11th. Stoked!

Do reapplicants need to get another physical exam done through DoDMERB?

Do reapplicants need to get another physical exam done through DoDMERB?
DoDMERB physical is good for two years. You may be requested to submit a form updating your current medical 'status' but it's unlikely you will have to go through another DoDMERB physical.

DoDMERB physical is good for two years. You may be requested to submit a form updating your current medical 'status' but it's unlikely you will have to go through another DoDMERB physical.
So question on DoDMERB: i was hospitalized when I was 2 years old for a XXX and do not know the exact date of my hospitalization. I contacted the hospital and have not been able to get the records in a timely manner. Is it reasonable to put a date that is kinda in the realm of when I was hospitalized or it needs to be the exact date. I have not had any XXX since age 2.

So question on DoDMERB: i was hospitalized when I was 2 years old for a XXX and do not know the exact date of my hospitalization. I contacted the hospital and have not been able to get the records in a timely manner. Is it reasonable to put a date that is kinda in the realm of when I was hospitalized or it needs to be the exact date. I have not had any XXX since age 2.
I was hospitalized when I was young for something that required surgery. I thought I was around 3 years old when it happened and I answered the DoDMERB questionnaire as if the event occurred when I was that age (I also remembered it being cold so I put "December/Janurary"). Had the physical and the doctor just asked me a few questions about it. It never came up again because it isn't something that would affect me today. A few weeks later, the hospital I was admitted to finally sent me my medical records and it turns out I was 5 years old and it happened in March.

As long as it isn't something that would raise concerns about your ability to serve right now, it shouldn't be an issue.

I was hospitalized when I was young for something that required surgery. I thought I was around 3 years old when it happened and I answered the DoDMERB questionnaire as if the event occurred when I was that age (I also remembered it being cold so I put "December/Janurary"). Had the physical and the doctor just asked me a few questions about it. It never came up again because it isn't something that would affect me today. A few weeks later, the hospital I was admitted to finally sent me my medical records and it turns out I was 5 years old and it happened in March.

As long as it isn't something that would raise concerns about your ability to serve right now, it shouldn't be an issue.
Much appreciated your comment!!!

Just received the "application is complete" email after submitting everything about a month ago - anyone who's gotten an II, about how long did it take from that email to receive the invitation?

Just received the "application is complete" email after submitting everything about a month ago - anyone who's gotten an II, about how long did it take from that email to receive the invitation?
About 5 weeks

It generally takes 5-6 weeks earlier in the cycle but it can take 10+ weeks when we're deeper into the cycle (when we factor in holidays).

Last cycle, I received the "application is complete" email on 9/23/2020 and received an interview invite on 12/22/2020 (about 13 weeks). I interviewed on the week of 1/25/2021. Take this with a grain of salt though - remember that the 2020 cycle was absolutely brutal and extremely competitive (COVID delays, Fauci effect, etc.).

This cycle, I received the "application is complete" email on 8/9/2021 and received an II on 9/10/2021 (just under 5 weeks). I am scheduled to interview on the week of 10/11/2021.

Last edited:
@Incognito32 Does USU email you when you clear security and medicals? Thanks for all your helpful posts on here
I don't think you get a notification for your SF-86 if you're in the clear. From what I recall, they will call you if they have any questions/concerns.

As for medical, you generally receive an email from DMACS titled "New Correspondence Notification". The email will bring you to the DoDMERB website where you will log in and view your current medical status.

And you're welcome :). We're all in this together.

Anybody have an idea of how quickly medical waivers go through? Got flagged for a knee issue that hasn't bothered me since I was 13, but still pretty worried since USU is my top choice

II today!

Reactions: 3 users