2021-2022 Uniformed Services University of Health Sciences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anybody have an idea of how quickly medical waivers go through? Got flagged for a knee issue that hasn't bothered me since I was 13, but still pretty worried since USU is my top choice
I think they generally take 4-6 weeks. Mine was granted in about 6 weeks.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Do y’all think it’s possible to get a waiver for posterior thoracic spinal fusion for correction of scoliosis (June 2016)?

No complications to date. Still have lower back flexibility and complete range of motion.

I have medical records and clearance letter from my surgeon ready to go

Members don't see this ad :)
II earlier today! LM 74, submitted on 7/14. For those who have already filled out the Google Form: it asks for a service preference statement and says to "ensure your selections match your signed Service Preference Statement." I don't remember signing this during the secondary application, are they asking for it to match an SPS that comes later in the process? Thanks in advance!

Reactions: 1 users
II earlier today! LM 74, submitted on 7/14. For those who have already filled out the Google Form: it asks for a service preference statement and says to "ensure your selections match your signed Service Preference Statement." I don't remember signing this during the secondary application, are they asking for it to match an SPS that comes later in the process? Thanks in advance!
You fill that out and bring it to the interview. With virtual interviews, I’m assuming you’ll just fill it out and email it back.

It's on the "interviewforms" PDF I think.

I am a bit confused… I was contacted for my upcoming interview and it sounds like it’s only 1 interview? I thought there were two separate interviews during the interview week?

I am a bit confused… I was contacted for my upcoming interview and it sounds like it’s only 1 interview? I thought there were two separate interviews during the interview week?
Yes, there are two interviews! They are scheduled separately and individually. Your interviewers do not know who else you are interviewing with.

Reactions: 2 users
Do I have a shot with a 3.45 gpa, 524 mcat, and about 10 W's? its been a rocky ride the first half of college and I know its a stretch, but i am hoping that the mcat and extracurriculars (300 research, 500 clinical) will make up for it. asking for a friend :(
You wrote it in the first person, but you're asking for a friend?

Yeah you have a shot. Your MCAT is great, but unfortunately will help you get an interview and not much else. The MCAT is not really looked at for admission. Your GPA is below average, but if your last 45-60 credits are really good, that will help a lot. Your Ws are a lot, so be prepared to provide an explanation. But you can overcome those things for sure if you have good explanations, a great upward trend, and a good overall story. The school wants people with a diversity of experience (not just racial or ethnic diversity) and who will contribute to making the class better. I got in with a 3.4 and 26 Ws. But I had great ECs and a good story.

You wrote it in the first person, but you're asking for a friend?

Yeah you have a shot. Your MCAT is great, but unfortunately will help you get an interview and not much else. The MCAT is not really looked at for admission. Your GPA is below average, but if your last 45-60 credits are really good, that will help a lot. Your Ws are a lot, so be prepared to provide an explanation. But you can overcome those things for sure if you have good explanations, a great upward trend, and a good overall story. The school wants people with a diversity of experience (not just racial or ethnic diversity) and who will contribute to making the class better. I got in with a 3.4 and 26 Ws. But I had great ECs and a good story.

thank you for your response. I have an upward trend for the past year + post-bacc. i will pm you with details :)

Regarding the medical examination— is it true we have to wait approximately 30 days after our second interview to get our medical exam done? Or should it be done WITHIN 30 days of our second interview?

“Your medical exam should be scheduled prior to your first interview and completed approximately 30 days after your second interview.” - from Interview email

Regarding the medical examination— is it true we have to wait approximately 30 days after our second interview to get our medical exam done? Or should it be done WITHIN 30 days of our second interview?

“Your medical exam should be scheduled prior to your first interview and completed approximately 30 days after your second interview.” - from Interview email

I did my medical 2-3 weeks before my interview. Everything was processed quick and I got qualified 1 week before an interview.

I think they just don’t want you to procrastinate and I believe they also can’t release unconditional offers without medical clearance.

Does the medical exam include height/weight requirements?

Members don't see this ad :)
so if we don't pass heigh/weight, we can't interview with USUHS?
I think Admissions would be a better resource for you to answer this question.

From what I’ve read,
I think weight may not disqualify you as long as above/below min/max requirements prior to matriculation. But I cannot say the same for height since that cannot change.

You will be invited to interview based on your app but the acceptance offer may be conditional pending you meeting the requirements prior to matriculation.

Not sure if things have changed but I interviewed on the week of January 25th (2020) and completed my medical examination on March 3rd, 2020. Based on the email, I would assume you have 30 days after your second interview to complete the physical.

Do it as soon as possible because it takes a long time for waivers to go through. Things that you didn't even know you have might come up too.

Last edited:
so if we don't pass heigh/weight, we can't interview with USUHS?
If you don't pass height/weight, you will need to get a waiver (common for overweight individuals). You can interview if you don't meet the height/weight requirements but the most you will get is a conditional acceptance (i.e. accepted on the condition that you can obtain a waiver). If you do not get this waiver, you cannot get an unconditional acceptance.

I don't think there's overcoming height min/maxes but you can get tape-tested if you're heavier than the maximum weight for your height (as per Army standards). Not too sure about being underweight though.

Last edited:
On the interview information webpage, it says that the interviewers have access to the “AMCAS Statement and USU supplemental materials.” Anyone know if AMCAS Statement is the personal statement alone, or the entire AMCAS application? Just trying to clarify before sending the Activity Update from the Interview Forms and don’t want to repeat info that the interviewers already have!

On the interview information webpage, it says that the interviewers have access to the “AMCAS Statement and USU supplemental materials.” Anyone know if AMCAS Statement is the personal statement alone, or the entire AMCAS application? Just trying to clarify before sending the Activity Update from the Interview Forms and don’t want to repeat info that the interviewers already have!
I had my interview and my faculty interviewer had my whole app.

The student didnt seem to know much about my app? But I don’t know if that’s because they didn’t have it or if they didn’t look

Interviewer told me they have your entire AMCAS besides GPA and MCAT

I had my interview and my faculty interviewer had my whole app.

The student didnt seem to know much about my app? But I don’t know if that’s because they didn’t have it or if they didn’t look
The fourth years are in the midst of bushmaster. They probably didn’t have time to look in depth.

The interviews are partially open. If I am correct, your interviewers have access to everything except your GPA/MCAT. However, this does not mean that they will look at your primary/secondary. My student interviewer just skimmed my PS and secondaries while my faculty interviewer didn't look at any part of my application. They just want to confirm that you have the right intentions, personality, and humanity (i.e. you're not a robot). Relax, make good conversation, and drive home "why military medicine".

The interviews are partially open. If I am correct, your interviewers have access to everything except your GPA/MCAT. However, this does not mean that they will look at your primary/secondary. My student interviewer just skimmed my PS and secondaries while my faculty interviewer didn't look at any part of my application. They just want to confirm that you have the right intentions, personality, and humanity (i.e. you're not a robot). Relax, make good conversation, and drive home "why military medicine".
When I interviewed, I had two faculty members and neither of them had read my app lol.

When did your interviewers reach out to schedule their interviews? I generally have to ask off for work two weeks in advance, agh.

When did your interviewers reach out to schedule their interviews? I generally have to ask off for work two weeks in advance, agh.
If I recall correctly, both of my interviewers contacted me the Wednesday/Thursday/Friday before my scheduled interview week.

I just tried to schedule my DoDMERB physical and the receptionist at the office said they only take walk-ins? I know I need to put my appointment day and time to continue through the portal so I’m confused. It’s also almost an hour away from where I live.

I had my interviews the week of 13 September and mine contacted me the weekend before my scheduled week. Both interviewers, however, gave me multiple days with times varying from early morning through the evening as possible times to chat. I wouldn’t stress too much about fitting them into your schedule, unless you literally work all the time you’re not sleeping. Both of mine folks were easy to coordinate with. I hope you have a similar experience!

I just tried to schedule my DoDMERB physical and the receptionist at the office said they only take walk-ins? I know I need to put my appointment day and time to continue through the portal so I’m confused. It’s also almost an hour away from where I live.
That’s weird. Did you try finding an alternate location through DODMERB? A friend of mine who lives in the same area as me said that when he first logged on to the site they had his “closest site” as a facility in another state, so maybe it’s worth a try to use a different site.

Why don’t you just put in the date and time you are planning to go there since it’s walk-in?
There is no real reason they ask for a specific date but to check that you did it, add it to your calendar and let you print all the forms for your appointment.

Don’t overthink it and Good luck!

Hey all. If I seem late to the party, it's because I've been lurking in the back and finally decided to jump in.
Excited/scared out of my mind to apply to USUHS. Hands down, top choice.

Cumulatively my science GPA is a 2.9 because you know, undergrad. When I was young, dumb and full of myself.
I'm working on an MS in Biomedical Sciences, been strong at a 3.8.
MCAT 511.
I sent up my supplemental mid-July but it wasn't complete because of MCAT. Got scores back at the end of August.
As told by my advisor, Ms. Ferrell, wonderful lady by the way, I made it onto the spreadsheet by September 1.
@PMWB2022 my "complete" email caught up Sept 13. So yay for that.
No interview invite yet.

And for those of you wondering, yes, I joined SDN 10 years ago when I was, once again, young, dumb and full of myself. Between now and then, I enlisted, got time as a medic and airborne infantry, then reclassed to Civil Affairs in the reserves while I go to grad school.

Best of luck to everyone applying.
For those in-the-know, I'd like to hear your thoughts on what you think my chances might be.

Hey all. I submitted my secondary 7/15 and received an email saying that they had all documents and no action required on 7/18. I now just received an email this AM, 10/4, stating that my application is complete (email looks a little different this time). It also says "there was no delay, others just submitted before you." Did this happen to anyone else? Is this an error or is it truly taking 6 weeks to mark applications as complete. Thanks!

I took me a little longer than 6 weeks but I think that’s because my LORs were submitted a month later after my secondaries were completed so I think it just depends on tour situation

I took me a little longer than 6 weeks but I think that’s because my LORs were submitted a month later after my secondaries were completed so I think it just depends on tour situation
As I understand it, the actual "completion" email seems irrelevant to the process. Personally I reached out almost immediately after I knew the last thing had been sent up. Rather surprisingly my admissions counselor jumped right in, to the effect of, "well since I have you on the phone, let's just get you on the spreadsheet."

Hey all. I submitted my secondary 7/15 and received an email saying that they had all documents and no action required on 7/18. I now just received an email this AM, 10/4, stating that my application is complete (email looks a little different this time). It also says "there was no delay, others just submitted before you." Did this happen to anyone else? Is this an error or is it truly taking 6 weeks to mark applications as complete. Thanks!
It happens. I had everything submitted by around July 2nd (or 4th) and received the "no action required" email in almost no time at all. I didn't receive the "application complete" email until August 9th. The timeline was pretty similar last cycle, albeit later in the cycle.

Some counselors work faster than others, while some have more students than others. You can generally expect to hear back about 5-8 weeks from now.

Hey all. If I seem late to the party, it's because I've been lurking in the back and finally decided to jump in.
Excited/scared out of my mind to apply to USUHS. Hands down, top choice.

Cumulatively my science GPA is a 2.9 because you know, undergrad. When I was young, dumb and full of myself.
I'm working on an MS in Biomedical Sciences, been strong at a 3.8.
MCAT 511.
I sent up my supplemental mid-July but it wasn't complete because of MCAT. Got scores back at the end of August.
As told by my advisor, Ms. Ferrell, wonderful lady by the way, I made it onto the spreadsheet by September 1.
@PMWB2022 my "complete" email caught up Sept 13. So yay for that.
No interview invite yet.

And for those of you wondering, yes, I joined SDN 10 years ago when I was, once again, young, dumb and full of myself. Between now and then, I enlisted, got time as a medic and airborne infantry, then reclassed to Civil Affairs in the reserves while I go to grad school.

Best of luck to everyone applying.
For those in-the-know, I'd like to hear your thoughts on what you think my chances might be.
Welcome!

Your sGPA is 2.9 but what's your cGPA? The website states that the lowest cGPA accepted is 3.0. MCAT is good and I assume you have a strong upward trend. From what I understand, USU's top 3 criteria are probably (1) Your answer to "why military medicine"/essays/interview, (2) leadership experience, and (3) GPA. MCAT is not too important and I might argue that research experience will help you more than MCAT. It sounds like you have a wealth of life experience and that could certainly help you. However, that GPA is a bit of a concern (to me, anyway).

Since you received the "complete" email on 9/13, you'll likely hear back by the end of October. It generally takes 4-6 weeks earlier in the cycle and up to 8+ weeks later on.

Would like to hear other peoples' thoughts.

Welcome!

Your sGPA is 2.9 but what's your cGPA? The website states that the lowest cGPA accepted is 3.0. MCAT is good and I assume you have a strong upward trend. From what I understand, USU's top 3 criteria are probably (1) Your answer to "why military medicine"/essays/interview, (2) leadership experience, and (3) GPA. MCAT is not too important and I might argue that research experience will help you more than MCAT. It sounds like you have a wealth of life experience and that could certainly help you. However, that GPA is a bit of a concern (to me, anyway).

Since you received the "complete" email on 9/13, you'll likely hear back by the end of October. It generally takes 4-6 weeks earlier in the cycle and up to 8+ weeks later on.

Would like to hear other peoples' thoughts.
This is my third time applying and I agree with pretty much all of this. I applied as a senior ROTC cadet with a 3.6 cGPA, 3.4 sGPA, and a 501 MCAT. I received and interview and it went really well. I was placed on the waitlist and never came off, but I think they put a lot of stock into their interviews, Military, and clinical experience.

Last year I took the MCAT again and got a 503 with a 123 in one section and didn’t receive an interview. The MCAT can make a difference if you’re below their cut-off, or if you have low GPA stats. I assume they’re looking for proof of academic accomplishment in either success on the MCAT or success by GPA metrics.

This year I gained some clinical experience and too the MCAT again (511). Got the email a week or so ago that my app is in and others are being processed before mine.

To the original poster - I interviewed with a prior service SFC and he said his MCAT was fine and, in his words, his GPA “was trash”. He still got an interview and may have gotten in. Prior service + good interview could be the key to getting in!

This is my third time applying and I agree with pretty much all of this. I applied as a senior ROTC cadet with a 3.6 cGPA, 3.4 sGPA, and a 501 MCAT. I received and interview and it went really well. I was placed on the waitlist and never came off, but I think they put a lot of stock into their interviews, Military, and clinical experience.

Last year I took the MCAT again and got a 503 with a 123 in one section and didn’t receive an interview. The MCAT can make a difference if you’re below their cut-off, or if you have low GPA stats. I assume they’re looking for proof of academic accomplishment in either success on the MCAT or success by GPA metrics.

This year I gained some clinical experience and too the MCAT again (511). Got the email a week or so ago that my app is in and others are being processed before mine.

To the original poster - I interviewed with a prior service SFC and he said his MCAT was fine and, in his words, his GPA “was trash”. He still got an interview and may have gotten in. Prior service + good interview could be the key to getting in!
Cumulatively yes, I acknowledge my GPA is trash. But I'm hoping they'll put more stock into the 3.8 I've kept up in my Master's program. As far as I can tell, I haven't gotten the automatic rejection so, some hope there. And my semester with Neurology has been shaping up pretty well too. On-track for A, A-. So as far as upward trends are concerned, I'm clawing my way up from the depths.

@PMWB2022 yeah, I just called, it was either the same day or day after I got my scores. Whether that's equal to a "completion email" or not, well I have no idea.

Cumulatively yes, I acknowledge my GPA is trash. But I'm hoping they'll put more stock into the 3.8 I've kept up in my Master's program. As far as I can tell, I haven't gotten the automatic rejection so, some hope there. And my semester with Neurology has been shaping up pretty well too. On-track for A, A-. So as far as upward trends are concerned, I'm clawing my way up from the depths.

@PMWB2022 yeah, I just called, it was either the same day or day after I got my scores. Whether that's equal to a "completion email" or not, well I have no idea.
I definitely wouldn’t worry too much! I wasn’t trying to say your GPA is trash, just that someone (who was probably overly harsh on themselves) with a lower GPA was extended an II. Having a 3.8 in a Master’s program will go a long way.
Last year they were sending out interview invites well into January so we’re still early in their cycle.
Good luck!

Hi everyone!

I submitted my secondary on 9/6, and got the "everything received" email on 9/9. I know that its only been 4 weeks, and it may take a while for any interview offers to come in, but I've been considering asking about a status update in the next few weeks. The portal makes it seem like its a normal and acceptable to do, but do you think it could hurt your chances at all asking about the application status?

Thank you in advance for any responses!!

Hi everyone!

I submitted my secondary on 9/6, and got the "everything received" email on 9/9. I know that its only been 4 weeks, and it may take a while for any interview offers to come in, but I've been considering asking about a status update in the next few weeks. The portal makes it seem like its a normal and acceptable to do, but do you think it could hurt your chances at all asking about the application status?

Thank you in advance for any responses!!
You can absolutely ask for an update and it will not hurt your chances. I did this last year but my counselor told me the same thing that the emails told me (something along the lines of "Your application is currently being reviewed and no further action is required on your part.").

Once you receive the "Application Complete" email (not the "everything received" email), you should hear back in about 4-6 weeks about interviewing.

You can absolutely ask for an update and it will not hurt your chances. I did this last year but my counselor told me the same thing that the emails told me (something along the lines of "Your application is currently being reviewed and no further action is required on your part.").

Once you receive the "Application Complete" email (not the "everything received" email), you should hear back in about 4-6 weeks about interviewing.
Second this. I also asked for an update because it seemed to be taking a long time, and I got a similar response. Got an interview soon after.

@alaskamedd Oh I wasn't implying you were being needlessly cruel or anything. My mentality is to own everything to my name, boils and all. I think Oliver Cromwell said something along those lines. If anything I can address actual or perceived weak spots rather than just bury my head in the sand. But in any case.
Funny enough, I just got my interview invite for the week of 1 November a few hours ago. Maybe it's a case of the squeaky wheel gets the oil, or maybe I look good on paper. But hey, more paperwork! And the kind I'm not annoyed or angry with. It's almost like a tertiary application.

Oh and I forgot to add, if anyone out there has questions about the Army, I've got some perspective on the enlisted side of AMEDD and the lifestyle in general. So feel free. And if you dare, I could go on about being Airborne.

Reactions: 3 users
@alaskamedd Oh I wasn't implying you were being needlessly cruel or anything. My mentality is to own everything to my name, boils and all. I think Oliver Cromwell said something along those lines. If anything I can address actual or perceived weak spots rather than just bury my head in the sand. But in any case.
Funny enough, I just got my interview invite for the week of 1 November a few hours ago. Maybe it's a case of the squeaky wheel gets the oil, or maybe I look good on paper. But hey, more paperwork! And the kind I'm not annoyed or angry with. It's almost like a tertiary application.

Oh and I forgot to add, if anyone out there has questions about the Army, I've got some perspective on the enlisted side of AMEDD and the lifestyle in general. So feel free. And if you dare, I could go on about being Airborne.
Huge congrats on getting an interview!

Anyone on this thread have thoughts on how to get medical waiver process started after you complete your physical? My physical scheduled for this Wednesday. I know I will need a medical waiver for spinal fusion surgery I had over 5 years ago (no physical hindrances or complications to date).

Should I reach out to the commissioning coordinator after my physical? I have all my medical records and letter from surgeon put together to be sent up for approval.

Anyone on this thread have thoughts on how to get medical waiver process started after you complete your physical? My physical scheduled for this Wednesday. I know I will need a medical waiver for spinal fusion surgery I had over 5 years ago (no physical hindrances or complications to date).

Should I reach out to the commissioning coordinator after my physical? I have all my medical records and letter from surgeon put together to be sent up for approval.

From my past experience, they will email you instructions on how to do a waiver if you need one.

They will upload a correspondence PDF on the DoDMERB Tricare website with instructions.

Anyone else from interviewed applicants got an invitation to visit USU in person? Is this good news?

Anyone else from interviewed applicants got an invitation to visit USU in person? Is this good news?
I did as well. The email sounds like they invited everyone who has interviewed already so I don’t think it necessarily means anything. Still exciting to be able to visit campus in-person though

Yes, also got this. I’m just debating going to this one vs a later event because we have to RSVP by Oct 14th, and should hear about acceptance decisions on the 15th. I’d absolutely love to go, but if I found out that I didn’t get in I feel like there would be no point in spending the time and $$ to go. Any insight?