2021-2022 William Carey University College of Osteopathic Medicine (WCUCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
II just now, but I have no choice in the date. Unfortunately, I will be in Canada for my cousin's wedding, so looks like I'll have to miss a bit of her wedding to attend, which I'm fine with.

Is the entire interview around 20-30 mins? How many faculty members? Was it an open or closed file interview? Any advice at all? Thank you so much, I greatly appreciate any help.

It was sooo chill and mine was probably 15 minutes tops (though I had one of the shorter interviews I've seen mentioned). Have fun at the wedding & definitely don't stress about the interview, just know the common questions and you'll be fine

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
It was sooo chill and mine was probably 15 minutes tops (though I had one of the shorter interviews I've seen mentioned). Have fun at the wedding & definitely don't stress about the interview, just know the common questions and you'll be fine
Thank you so much!!

Reactions: 1 user
II just now, but I have no choice in the date. Unfortunately, I will be in Canada for my cousin's wedding, so looks like I'll have to miss a bit of her wedding to attend, which I'm fine with.

Is the entire interview around 20-30 mins? How many faculty members? Was it an open or closed file interview? Any advice at all? Thank you so much, I greatly appreciate any help.
congrats!!!! yeah it’s a true max of 30 minutes. there will be people interviewing before and after you so unless you wrap it up early, they’ll end it at 30 minutes because someone else will be pinging in!

Members don't see this ad :)
II on 10/27! Complete 8/3

hi friend, would you be able to tell us if it's open, partial blind, or closed file?

hi friend, would you be able to tell us if it's open, partial blind, or closed file?
i don’t know for certain but while i wasn’t asked any questions about my app as a part of my interview, they personally and specifically referenced my major in college and it’s relevancy to Carey’s program so they definitely had the ability to see at least some of my background info to that end.

I just had my interview and it wasn’t as conversational as I thought it would be? It was mostly just question and answer. The people were really nice though!

Just had my interview. It was a mix of conversation like and some questions and answers. Overall it was enjoyable. Lots of jokes from the interviewer. It really did help calm my nerves.

Reactions: 2 users
Just had my interview. It was a mix of conversation like and some questions and answers. Overall it was enjoyable. Lots of jokes from the interviewer. It really did help calm my nerves.
the thought of interviewing with this school freaks me out. how do y'all handle the stress knowing that the class is full or close to full? if I got an interview here I would be too scared to show up holy cow I get this feeling in my stomach and I don't know why I care so much bc I don't even have an interview here.

the thought of interviewing with this school freaks me out. how do y'all handle the stress knowing that the class is full or close to full? if I got an interview here I would be too scared to show up holy cow I get this feeling in my stomach and I don't know why I care so much bc I don't even have an interview here.
there's a lot of posts up above that should ease your concerns, if you do get an interview here or anywhere else that already has a waitlist. in addition I would recommend you read last years thread as well. in a lot of the DO programs including Carey, historically the waitlist moves quickly, especially as we get closer to seat deposit time. as you can read up above, people have already moved off the waitlist this year. as far as handling the stress, focus on the things you can control and let go of the things you can't. i feel like that's the name of the game for the application cycle.

• Love
Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with ellaevie on this. I was more stressed about the interview (since it was my first one) rather than the class being full or close to being full. What really helped was wanting to do my absolute best in the interview because that is something I have control over at the moment. If I get rejected post-II, it doesn’t matter if the class was full or not. I hope that helps and that you will get a II soon!

Last edited:
I got an acceptance elsewhere that I prefer, so I will be withdrawing my acceptance. I hope one of the waitlist people gets my spot!

Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone know if being waitlisted is same as being deferred?

Oof are they sending out letters today? I had my interview last Thursday so now I am a little nervous.

Just got the email. WL, oof. All I feel is pain.

• Care
Did you happen to get a position number?
Nah, I don't think they give it to you, unless you contact them and ask. Also, not sure if there's a difference but the wording was actually for alternate list, not the wait list. Not sure if that's the same thing or not. Did anyone get deferred? On the slides, it said candidates could either be accepted, rejected or deferred, but as mentioned above, it seems deferral is a completely separate thing?

Nah, I don't think they give it to you, unless you contact them and ask. Also, not sure if there's a difference but the wording was actually for alternate list, not the wait list. Not sure if that's the same thing or not. Did anyone get deferred? On the slides, it said candidates could either be accepted, rejected or deferred, but as mentioned above, it seems deferral is a completely separate thing?
I got deferred. I too feel pain. I guess I feel weird about it because it’s like uhh so you like me or not, pick one please. I also called them and they said I’ll get a reply later is what they said.

I was deferred in my initial decision letter after my interview. On that letter, Dr. Weir had handwritten a note that said, “you’re my #X alternate.” Then, about 3-5 days later I got an email saying I was accepted. Hope this helps. I wasn’t #1 and I ended up with an acceptance so the list has already moved some.
That does help a bit. I did not get a alternative number but should I ask? Also what is the difference between alternative list and deferred if you do not mind me asking? Thank you!

I submitted secondary and am complete mid July. Silence for me after that. Has anyone experienced this? Reached out to them and still haven't heard back.

I submitted secondary and am complete mid July. Silence for me after that. Has anyone experienced this? Reached out to them and still haven't heard back.
Same to all of the above. I’ve honestly given up on WCU at this point and would decline an interview if offered based on the fact that they are already interviewing for waitlis.

Same to all of the above. I’ve honestly given up on WCU at this point and would decline an interview if offered based on the fact that they are already interviewing for waitlis.
i am so frustrated i keep wanting to self sabotage and withdraw my app entirely

I wonder if I got an R. No email or anything; I interviewed on the 4th lol
Mm…see I called before asking about my status and they emailed it to me right after…so you might have to reach out?

For me, I just got the email on Thursday earlier this week.

I have been given an offer of acceptance at my top MD choice, so I will be withdrawing my application/declining my acceptance from WCUCOM. I hope it goes to one of you guys! Stay hopeful and optimistic! This was my 3rd time applying, so I know what some of you guys are feeling right now. Best of luck to you all!

Reactions: 3 users
My app was complete 9/27 because I was waiting on an additional LOR... does anyone know if they are still offering II?

My app was complete 9/27 because I was waiting on an additional LOR... does anyone know if they are still offering II?
I just got my interview like 2 weeks ago, and I was complete early August, so I would say yes and that they probably just haven’t gotten to your app yet!

Withdrew my app due to receiving several acceptances from other schools and lack of communication from admissions since submitting secondary in July. Good luck to everyone applying I hope you all get acceptances here and elsewhere! :)

I just got my interview like 2 weeks ago, and I was complete early August, so I would say yes and that they probably just haven’t gotten to your app yet!
when you got the II, did you have an option to schedule it or was it a 'do you wanna show up on X day' followed by 0 mention of how to reschedule if you cannot make it?

we're at a point in the cycle for this school where it wouldn't be surprising if applicants are straight up being asked to show up on a certain date...

when you got the II, did you have an option to schedule it or was it a 'do you wanna show up on X day' followed by 0 mention of how to reschedule if you cannot make it?

we're at a point in the cycle for this school where it wouldn't be surprising if applicants are straight up being asked to show up on a certain date...

I got my II in August and they asked me to show up on a specific date

They gave me a specific date and time!

when you got an email about the interview to accept or decline, how long does it take from accepting the interview invite for them to send follow up email about the details about time of the interview date?

when you got an email about the interview to accept or decline, how long does it take from accepting the interview invite for them to send follow up email about the details about time of the interview date?
I just double checked my emails, and there was a week in between the interview invite email and getting the email with the details regarding date/time

I got my II middle of September and the email was basically, "We'd like to invite you to interview, and we'd like you to interview (via Microsoft Teams) on this date. Please let us know if you accept or decline." It was more flowery than that but that was the gist. There really wasn't any mention of being able to pick a different day, but there also wasn't anything that categorically said you *couldn't* ask for a different day. I responded immediately and accepted the interview and they sent me the specific time the next day. The day before my interview at like 9am, my interview host sent an email with the Teams link! Obviously that was a couple months ago now so things may have changed!

has anyone sent in a seat deposit yet? i don't have any other A's at this point so with the holiday next week/usps travel times, I'm probably going to be mailing mine in soon... just curious if any one else has at this point!

has anyone sent in a seat deposit yet? i don't have any other A's at this point so with the holiday next week/usps travel times, I'm probably going to be mailing mine in soon... just curious if any one else has at this point!

Not yet. I'm waiting to hear back from another school but I'm trying to narrow down my current As and I have no idea where WCUCOM ranks on that list yet lol. I feel like I know a lot less about this school than my other As so I'm going to try to reach out to some current students!