2022-2023 Idaho College of Osteopathic Medicine (ICOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please feel free to tag a pre-medical moderator once the secondary prompt has been posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Secondary Questions:
1. What characteristics of ICOM will help you to become a successful physician?

2. If this is not your first time applying to medical school, how have you improved your application? (Please type N/A if not applicable)

3. What does Osteopathic Principles and Practices mean to you and how will you integrate these into your future practice

Interview feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
  • Care
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys! I am a rising 2nd year at ICOM. If you have any questions about the program or area feel free to reach out!

They just said they received the primary app and will review it. 2-4 weeks turnaround time.

I’m a rising 3rd year, in case anyone has any questions.

Does the school provide opportunities/support to become an orthopedic surgeon?
I know that we had a handful of 4th year students recently match into Ortho. Most surgical specialties are very tough for DOs to get into vs non-surgical specialties. Just keep that in mind.

Does the school provide opportunities/support to become an orthopedic surgeon?
Individual opportunities? I have no clue. I’m definitely not interested in ortho so I am unaware of what they would offer for that. I know only one 4th year matched to ortho this year. There’s opportunities out there, but you may have to go seek them on your own.

How are the clinical rotations? Do you have to go far?
I am a rising 2nd year student so I cannot speak to the quality of the clinical rotations. From what I have heard from 3rd/4th year students your 3rd year rotations are what you make of them. They say that if you volunteer, participate, try your best to answer questions, and really put your best foot forward, you will have a good rotation.

As for location, view the links below to see where our clinical rotations are at. A 3rd/4th year student/alum would be best to answer this question. If you attended high school in Idaho or one of our mission states and would like to do a rotation in your home state I believe you can submit a hardship application and they will let you get first dibs before OOS students (don't quote me on this).

How are the clinical rotations? Do you have to go far?
We don’t have our third year schedules yet so I’m not sure about the traveling for rotations. They say you should never have to travel more than an hour (since that’s an “away” rotation), but some sites have to send people to other places.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone have recommendations on where to live? I saw Jasper which is pretty close but has bad reviews, also say Heritage West which looks new but a little further from campus

Anyone have recommendations on where to live? I saw Jasper which is pretty close but has bad reviews, also say Heritage West which looks new but a little further from campus
I lived at The Enclave, but I honestly don’t feel like what you’re getting is worth the price. We paid 1,300$ when we moved in, but now it’s about 1,700$ for the same unit. Unfortunately, that’s pretty much how everything is in Meridian/Boise. They’ll send out an Excel sheet with various places listed and you can look at those. There’s The Lofts or Indigo, just to name some I know off the top of my head.

Everything’s 1600+ anymore. ICOM was all like “1400 is average!” Maybe in Mountain Home 😂

Hey everyone! I am one of the 4th year medical students at ICOM. If anyone has any questions, feel free to message me! Always happy to help. :)

I got invited to their open house but no secondary lmao rip

Anyone receive notification after submitting secondary? I got nothing in my email saying complete.

Ofcourse! Here are the prompts (no character/word limit for any of them):

2. If this is not your first time applying to medical school, how have you improved your application? (Please type N/A if not applicable)

3. What does Osteopathic Principles and Practices mean to you and how will you integrate these into your future practice?

Ofcourse! Here are the prompts (no character/word limit for any of them):

3. What does Osteopathic Principles and Practices mean to you and how will you integrate these into your future practice?
@PapaGuava

Got the "We have completed the final review of your secondary application. [...] You could be selected for an interview at any point during the cycle." Additionally: "Our interview cycle runs from September 2022 through April 2023."

They're doing their new class orientation/whitecoat this week, so I'm kind of surprised to have heard back today.

I see that on the secondary the Casper is not required, and I took it and got second quartile... do you think it would look worst to voluntarily release the score, or withhold it since it's not required?

I see that on the secondary the Casper is not required, and I took it and got second quartile... do you think it would look worst to voluntarily release the score, or withhold it since it's not required?

I feel like either way you would be fine. I don’t think casper holds much weight in their process otherwise they would require it.

hey everyone, I notice ICOM has a min MCAT of 500, are they lenient on this at all?

hey everyone, I notice ICOM has a min MCAT of 500, are they lenient on this at all?
I would say if you're under 500, medical school might not be up your alley. Not due to incapability but because standardized and regular exams will become your life.

@_bonewizard thats a little harsh.he can always retake and comlex/step 1 is now pass fail. step2/comlex 2 is all clinical so mcat is actually not a great indicator of residency match anymore.

Reactions: 1 users
I would say if you're under 500, medical school might not be up your alley. Not due to incapability but because standardized and regular exams will become your life.
While I appreciate the comment I don’t appreciate the outlook on my future, I still showed improvement between takes rather than go down scores as well

Reactions: 5 users
@_bonewizard thats a little harsh.he can always retake and comlex/step 1 is now pass fail. step2/comlex 2 is all clinical so mcat is actually not a great indicator of residency match anymore.

That's correct, but I don't mean to be harsh. I only mean to give a realistic view as to the rigors at medical school. Your testing scores don't mean anything necessarily but if the MCAT is a major roadblock then further exams will be much, much worse.

While I appreciate the comment I don’t appreciate the outlook on my future, I still showed improvement between takes rather than go down scores as well

I understand, I didn't mean to dissuade you, only that even if ICOM would allow sub 500, be sure it's what you want because getting a semester in and dropping out is so much more expensive than not switching to PA or NP. Please continue to practice and test but keep in mind that the MCAT is the MCAT for a reason.