A.T. Still University Arizona (ATSU-SOMA) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I interviewed in April last year, good luck you guys! Message me if you have any questions.

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed in April last year, good luck you guys! Message me if you have any questions.

Curious which CHC you are set to be at...

I was told that by January the CHC seats are pretty much all called for, and then some shuffling occurs with students choosing other medical schools and giving up their spots.

Curious which CHC you are set to be at...

I was told that by January the CHC seats are pretty much all called for, and then some shuffling occurs with students choosing other medical schools and giving up their spots.
I chose Flagstaff. Because I deferred my acceptance I got to choose first way back in July. I don't know which CHC's have open spots at this point.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just turned down an interview. Hopefully one of you successfully claims it!

I chose Flagstaff. Because I deferred my acceptance I got to choose first way back in July. I don't know which CHC's have open spots at this point.

Not sure if this has been asked on the thread yet, but is there a difference between the CHC's besides for location? What makes students pic one over the other? Also, when do you get to choose/rank these sites?

Not sure if this has been asked on the thread yet, but is there a difference between the CHC's besides for location? What makes students pic one over the other? Also, when do you get to choose/rank these sites?
I would ask a current student about differences. All of the lectures are online, so I know that's not any different, and I'm assuming they do most of their in class stuff the same.

You choose/rank your sites after your acceptance. You'll get an e-mail to a link that has a presentation about each site an then you get to put them in whatever order you want. You don't have to rank all of them (I think I ranked maybe 6?) You can rank sites that are already filled over those that are open in hopes that a spot opens up.

Reactions: 1 user

The main difference is location and therefore different populations that you will be exposed to and treating. Beyond that the differences are the available rotations for third and fourth year, the different staff at each site (which might affect rotations, or how many days a week/ rotation you need to meet up). These are the real reasons students should pick sites, but people pick them because either the location sounds cool, or they are trying to get back closer to home and the CHC they choose is closest.

Over the past couple of years the school has made a great effort to stabilize each site and make sure that everyone is following the same set of rules, but this has been hard to accomplish. What this means is that different CHC's have different rules that you won't know about until you are there. Sometimes this feels unfair compared to other CHC's, but honestly the other CHC's feel the same way about you. Hopefully by the time any new/applying students get to their CHC's this will be ironed out.

Reactions: 1 users
I would ask a current student about differences. All of the lectures are online, so I know that's not any different, and I'm assuming they do most of their in class stuff the same.

You choose/rank your sites after your acceptance. You'll get an e-mail to a link that has a presentation about each site an then you get to put them in whatever order you want. You don't have to rank all of them (I think I ranked maybe 6?) You can rank sites that are already filled over those that are open in hopes that a spot opens up.

The main difference is location and therefore different populations that you will be exposed to and treating. Beyond that the differences are the available rotations for third and fourth year, the different staff at each site (which might affect rotations, or how many days a week/ rotation you need to meet up). These are the real reasons students should pick sites, but people pick them because either the location sounds cool, or they are trying to get back closer to home and the CHC they choose is closest.

Over the past couple of years the school has made a great effort to stabilize each site and make sure that everyone is following the same set of rules, but this has been hard to accomplish. What this means is that different CHC's have different rules that you won't know about until you are there. Sometimes this feels unfair compared to other CHC's, but honestly the other CHC's feel the same way about you. Hopefully by the time any new/applying students get to their CHC's this will be ironed out.

Thanks for your replies. For those who interviewed already or in the past years, what exactly is a file review with faculty/staff? Also, are the 3 MMI's pretty standard or challenging? I understand there usually is a confidentiality clause so I'm not asking for any specifics.

Is it too late to apply to this school this cycle?

I know I am very late in the cycle--I applied to other schools earlier on and never looked into this school for geographical reasons, but I stumbled onto the CHC structure tonight and absolutely love everything about this program. My goal is to work with Spanish-speaking populations (I'm not URM, though) which is clearly outlined in my PS and I have spent many many hours volunteering at hospitals, food pantries, a local homeless medical clinic, schools, free clinic in Guatemala, etc. My sgpa is 3.03 and my cumgpa is 3.34 (both will go up once I finish my ochem retake--also I graduated in 3 years with a double major while working, so hopefully they can look past it). MCAT is 30 (11V,10B,9P). I have very strong ties to northern VA, so I'd rather wait to apply if the Washington DC CHC is already full but I'm not sure if there's even a way to find that out.

Thanks in advance for any advice! I'm kicking myself for not looking into ATSU-SOMA sooner :/

I sent my secondaries to SOMA in February last year.
Is it too late to apply to this school this cycle?

I know I am very late in the cycle--I applied to other schools earlier on and never looked into this school for geographical reasons, but I stumbled onto the CHC structure tonight and absolutely love everything about this program. My goal is to work with Spanish-speaking populations (I'm not URM, though) which is clearly outlined in my PS and I have spent many many hours volunteering at hospitals, food pantries, a local homeless medical clinic, schools, free clinic in Guatemala, etc. My sgpa is 3.03 and my cumgpa is 3.34 (both will go up once I finish my ochem retake--also I graduated in 3 years with a double major while working, so hopefully they can look past it). MCAT is 30 (11V,10B,9P). I have very strong ties to northern VA, so I'd rather wait to apply if the Washington DC CHC is already full but I'm not sure if there's even a way to find that out.

Thanks in advance for any advice! I'm kicking myself for not looking into ATSU-SOMA sooner :/

I have an interview here on Friday, anyone know if there are still spots open? Or am I interviewing for the wait list? Thanks!

I have an interview here on Friday, anyone know if there are still spots open? Or am I interviewing for the wait list? Thanks!
I was wondering the same thing, I have an interview feb 6th which they added as an extra interview date. And I feel as if they would only add extra dates they didn't have planned if the class was not already full

I was wondering the same thing, I have an interview feb 6th which they added as an extra interview date. And I feel as if they would only add extra dates they didn't have planned if the class was not already full
Hey guys,

I asked about this on my interview day, and I sensed that March/April interviews are kind of for the wait/deferred list. Don't quote me on it but I think there might still be some spots opened.

Best of luck!!

Members don't see this ad :)
This school has moved up in my list of schools. I love the vibe here

I noticed that the ATSU SOMA accepted students FB page (Class of 2019) has almost 100 people already. Isn't their cap 100? (10 sites x 10 students per class per site). I would hate to waste time and money interviewing if a wait list acceptance is our only real chance.

I noticed that the ATSU SOMA accepted students FB page (Class of 2019) has almost 100 people already. Isn't their cap 100? (10 sites x 10 students per class per site). I would hate to waste time and money interviewing if a wait list acceptance is our only real chance.
1) A lot of people in the facebook group are not part of the accepted class. Some of them are current students and staff.

2) Some of these people are going to drop their acceptances pending getting accepted to other places.

1) A lot of people in the facebook group are not part of the accepted class. Some of them are current students and staff.

2) Some of these people are going to drop their acceptances pending getting accepted to other places.

Thanks--that helps me remain somewhat hopeful. I am very intrigued by this school.

Last edited:

Also the class size is 108. There are 11 sites, 10 of which have ten students and the South Carolina site has eight students.

I just moved my interview up to February 6th, so my other date (4-27) should be open now. Im looking forward to see how the rotations work here. Im guessing its not possible to remain in the same place for all 4?

I just moved my interview up to February 6th, so my other date (4-27) should be open now. Im looking forward to see how the rotations work here. Im guessing its not possible to remain in the same place for all 4?
No, you have to go to a CHC site

Did anyone who interviewed already stay with a current student? I don't think they have a specific "host" program, but I think its helpful to get to ask students how they really feel about a program (outside the school)... and its cheaper!

For those who are interviewing on 2/6: I booked my hotel at the clarion hotel in chandler. Its like a 20 minute drive from the school, but free shuttle to the airport. If anyone will be in that area and is renting a car, I would be happy to split the cost (or a cab from that area).

For those who are interviewing on 2/6: I booked my hotel at the clarion hotel in chandler. Its like a 20 minute drive from the school, but free shuttle to the airport. If anyone will be in that area and is renting a car, I would be happy to split the cost (or a cab from that area).

Is there a closer, cheaper, nicer hotel to the school?

I stayed at the hotel with the shuttle service (T&T) will take you to the interview and back to the airport. I don't remember it being that expensive.

In Mesa? Name of hotel?
I interviewed a year ago so I don't remember, but it should be in the e-mail you got about the interview day. They explicitly mention the T&T shuttle service along with the hotel they will take you to.

Yeah there probably is... Kinda was in a hurry when i booked it. I ended up renting a car, so anyone who wants to stay in that hotel I can drive.

It's too disappointing to feel racism towards foreigners from some of the admission people during the interview day!

It's too disappointing to feel racism towards foreigners from some of the admission people during the interview day!
Racism towards foreigners? Seems counter-cultural to the ideology of this school's mission and admissions selection process.

I see you've been accepted to VCOM-Auburn. I live in Mesa and also have accepted a seat at VCOM-Auburn. If you need anything or want to get together, let me know what I can do.

Edit: I interview with SOMA in March.

Tried to read through the past couple pages on this thread to see if there is a Facebook page for accepted students but no luck... If there is one, can someone post the link please? Thanks

Tried to read through the past couple pages on this thread to see if there is a Facebook page for accepted students but no luck... If there is one, can someone post the link please? Thanks
Yes, there is. Just look up ATSU-SOMA on Facebook and add yourself to the appropriate class.

I understand the confidentiality stuff, but can anyone give insight as to how many MMI stations are there? how long do you have at each station? just trying to prepare a little! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I thought I read there were 3 stations, but I haven't interviewed and can't verify this is accurate.

I have been accepted to this school so I know the process.

Unfortunately, I can't disclose really anything about the MMI portion but I did want to let you know (as with all advice for MMIs) there is no way to really prepare for the prompts. They want to know how will you respond on the fly because they are looking at your facial expression, how you generally conduct yourself, and interpersonal communication style.

It if makes you feel better you can read through MMI topics as well as general medical hot topics that I'm sure are available online but in the four MMIs (at different schools) that I've participated in it didn't help me at all.

Been complete here and under review for a while. Is there anyone here very familiar with the hometown scholar program. Do you think getting an endorsement from a community health center was big plus n terms of interview invite and acceptance? thanks

Been complete here and under review for a while. Is there anyone here very familiar with the hometown scholar program. Do you think getting an endorsement from a community health center was big plus n terms of interview invite and acceptance? thanks

Had a friend who applied a while back to SOMA. He had one of the faculty members at a local CHC (one of the SOMA CHCs) write a LOR for him. He got into SOMA that year. He said he applied twice to the school. The year before he did not have the letter and the year after he did (his app was not that much different from each cycle).

I can't say for sure how much the LOR helped him, but I would still take the story with a grain of salt. There might have been other factors that lead to his acceptance.

Had a friend who applied a while back to SOMA. He had one of the faculty members at a local CHC (one of the SOMA CHCs) write a LOR for him. He got into SOMA that year. He said he applied twice to the school. The year before he did not have the letter and the year after he did (his app was not that much different from each cycle).

I can't say for sure how much the LOR helped him, but I would still take the story with a grain of salt. There might have been other factors that lead to his acceptance.
I appreciate the input. It sounds like its definitely a big plus. I will look into that for sure and see if I can get a letter from a community health center.

Hi all. I got rejected from ACOM, one of 2 schools that offered me an interview. ACOM just wasn't meant to be (LOVED the school btw). It was most likely the interview that did me in. It never felt right as soon as it started. It felt like an interrogation. I guess I'm looking for some tips to do well on my SOMA interview this Friday. I've done some research about the school and MMI, but I still feel like I'm not prepared enough. I have less than stellar numbers (3.4cgpa, 3.17 sgpa, 26 MCAT) and somewhat lackluster ECs, but I feel like I am a great fit for the school. I'm very community oriented, all of my volunteering experience have been in underserved/economically disadvantaged areas, but I worry that it's not enough. I don't want to blow this interview, so anyone have any advice how to really impress admissions? I'm not expecting any more interviews so my ATSU-SOMA interview just got 1000x more important

Hoping to land an interview at SOMA! I am still on hold here.

Hello! I will be attending ATSU-SOMA this upcoming year and was wondering if there are any current students floating about on this thread that can give me tips on apartments. I have the list that the school provided but just wanted to see if you had any insight also.
I will be moving to Mesa with my SO, so it would be nice to have an apartment that would be roomy enough for me to study without being bothered. We also need pet friendly for our cat, Ollivander. :cat:
I would also prefer to be within reasonable biking distance to campus.
Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Hello! I will be attending ATSU-SOMA this upcoming year and was wondering if there are any current students floating about on this thread that can give me tips on apartments. I have the list that the school provided but just wanted to see if you had any insight also.
I will be moving to Mesa with my SO, so it would be nice to have an apartment that would be roomy enough for me to study without being bothered. We also need pet friendly for our cat, Ollivander. :cat:
I would also prefer to be within reasonable biking distance to campus.
Any suggestions would be appreciated!
From what I've been told, almost everyone lives in Colonial Grand. It's a mile from campus.

Great to hear u guys enjoyed your time over there...I can't wait to get out of this cold weather and enjoy some good weather in Arizona!I finally got an interview here coming up february 21st, what airport are people flying into? I haven't heard anyone mentioning student host in this thread, does this school provide a list of current students willing to host people for interviews at all??

Great to hear u guys enjoyed your time over there...I can't wait to get out of this cold weather and enjoy some good weather in Arizona!I finally got an interview here coming up february 21st, what airport are people flying into? I haven't heard anyone mentioning student host in this thread, does this school provide a list of current students willing to host people for interviews at all??

I couldn't find any info on student hosts. Would have been ideal for costs. I flew into PHX and rented car. Didn't have hotel when I landed. Found Dobson Inn for $59.99 plus tax and fees. You can probably find cheaper through AirBNB. Good luck!