A.T. Still University Kirksville (ATSU-KCOM) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Current students-- I just got the housing email, but I'm waiting to hear back from one more school before I decide for sure that I'm going to KCOM. Realistically, how long do I have before all the on-campus housing is full? Also, do I even want on-campus housing? What do people living there now think of it?
I'm in the same boat. I find out in march. I got the email too and would like to know the details of the living situation there since I don't know potential room mates in kirksville

Members don't see this ad.

Current students-- I just got the housing email, but I'm waiting to hear back from one more school before I decide for sure that I'm going to KCOM. Realistically, how long do I have before all the on-campus housing is full? Also, do I even want on-campus housing? What do people living there now think of it?
Have you checked the Class of 2018 facebook page? There's an ongoing discussion about housing that probably pretty well covers all your questions.

What I can tell you for certain is that campus housing fills up pretty fast. But rent is pretty cheap here so you won't be at a huge loss if you end up having to live elsewhere... but the better options outside of campus housing get snatched up too.

How many hours a week is spent on OMM? Do all osteopathic schools teach the same amount of OMM, or are some schools more OMM heavy? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know how I would go about sending and updated transcript to KCOM? Do I just go through my universities registrar and use KCOM's admissions office as the recipient or is there a way that it can be emailed or faxed?

How many hours a week is spent on OMM? Do all osteopathic schools teach the same amount of OMM, or are some schools more OMM heavy? Thanks.

I don't remember the amount of hours but I was told by students at ATSU / DMU / KCUMB that not all schools are equal. I believe ATSU and DMU are more OMM heavy than KCUMB. That's all I know though.

Maximum 4 hours per week, 2 hours tuesday and thursday morning. Often less than that (sometimes 1 hour tuesday and thursday). Some weeks, none at all.

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone already attending know how to get more information on the HPSP scholarships? Going to KCOM, and they mentioned it quite a bit, having no experience in military... best resources?

Anyone already attending know how to get more information on the HPSP scholarships? Going to KCOM, and they mentioned it quite a bit, having no experience in military... best resources?
Many med students are on the HPSP, though in my opinion, students and recruiters are not your best resource for getting a real understanding of what you're signing up for. Students are only experiencing the "go to school and we pay you" side right now so they've yet to be jaded. Recruiters will tell you whatever they want and (according to military docs that I've spoken to) often have no idea what they're talking about.

I'd recommend checking out the HPSP threads in the military medicine subforums here on SDN. Read away, then ask questions to people who have gone through it (residents and docs). I personally knew 3-4 docs back home that did the HPSP, and all of them recommended I NOT do it based on a number of considerations. I don't think the HPSP is a bad thing to do, but just get a very good understanding of it before you sign away the next 8+ years of your life. I've not completely ruled out the military as an option (they have the FAP that you can sign up for during residency) but my wife and I decided that the HPSP was not for us. Good luck!

Maximum 4 hours per week, 2 hours tuesday and thursday morning. Often less than that (sometimes 1 hour tuesday and thursday). Some weeks, none at all.
I caught someone saying it was 8 hours a week here.

nah son

Does anyone know how I would go about sending and updated transcript to KCOM? Do I just go through my universities registrar and use KCOM's admissions office as the recipient or is there a way that it can be emailed or faxed?
It needs to be sent by the university in order to be official - this could be done via email or fax if both your university and KCOM will do that. Some schools want this to be done via AACOMAS (your university sends transcript to AACOMAS, which is then verified and sent to schools you applied to), though some schools might accept the transcript directly so I would just touch base with KCOM admissions because I don't know what they prefer.

Yeah you nailed it on the head. Your university registrar, and have them mail to KCOM admissions.

Yeah you nailed it on the head. Your university registrar, and have them mail to KCOM admissions.

This is what I did and it worked fine for me. As a side note, I couldn't find anything on the ATSU site regarding the status of my transcripts, so I just called ATSU after a few weeks to verify that they had recieved them. I spoke with a lady on the phone who said they will do an audit of transcripts a bit later on. Personally, I like to know that everything is in place sooner than later so I can re-send if needed without pushing deadlines.

My application has been complete since 12/03/13. I haven't received a pre-interview hold nor an ii nor a rejection letter. I called and they said my app is still in review. Is this like "not good enough now" type group? Anyone in the same boat?

Members don't see this ad :)
My application has been complete since 12/03/13. I haven't received a pre-interview hold nor an ii nor a rejection letter. I called and they said my app is still in review. Is this like "not good enough now" type group? Anyone in the same boat?

I've been complete since 12/16 and in January they told me I'd hear by the end of January, but I didn't so I called again and they said they can keep your file open for however long they want until they're done interviewing. Idk what to think of it, but I'm already in somewhere so I'm not holding my breath.

I've been complete since 12/16 and in January they told me I'd hear by the end of January, but I didn't so I called again and they said they can keep your file open for however long they want until they're done interviewing. Idk what to think of it, but I'm already in somewhere so I'm not holding my breath.
Thanks for the info and congrats on the acceptance!

I'm heading to Kirksville next weekend to look for housing. Would love to meet some of my classmates!!

I'm headed there tomorrow with the wife and kiddo to do the same.

Anyone know ATSU COM's class profile stats? I have been looking for them everywhere and can't find them. Also, anybody know why the AACOM doesn't post stats like the AAMC's MSAR?

Anyone know ATSU COM's class profile stats? I have been looking for them everywhere and can't find them. Also, anybody know why the AACOM doesn't post stats like the AAMC's MSAR?
1st, see page 2 of this thread (didn't quite look everywhere) and use ctrl+f to search my name or "stats" and you shall find.

2nd, feel free to email AACOM.

Anyone have any advice for the interviews?
Would really appreciate any help!

Anyone have any advice for the interviews?
Would really appreciate any help!

My interview was by far the most relaxing I had compared to any other school! Be prepared for the basic questions, why DO? Why a physician in the first place? Why KCOM? Know your application and if you have any weaknesses be ready to talk about those. and then...... just be yourself, smile, shake their hand and be interested, excited!

Anyone who interviewed 1/13 heard back yet? I haven't. Called last Monday to make sure that they had my updated address and they did and told me that they had not tried to contact me yet.

Does anyone know if they are especially backed up this time of year?

So I just called because I got another letter of recommendation that I wanted to submit to the school. I already interviewed 2/7. I asked if my file had already been reviewed or should I go ahead and send the letter...

She said, "Your file has already been reviewed but a decision hasn't been made. Go ahead and send your letter."

The first part didn't sound like good news, but the second part gave me hope. Anyone have any insight on this? I know it would all be speculation, but... Just curious!

So I just called because I got another letter of recommendation that I wanted to submit to the school. I already interviewed 2/7. I asked if my file had already been reviewed or should I go ahead and send the letter...

She said, "Your file has already been reviewed but a decision hasn't been made. Go ahead and send your letter."

The first part didn't sound like good news, but the second part gave me hope. Anyone have any insight on this? I know it would all be speculation, but... Just curious!
Might as well get that letter sent.

Probably soon-ish.

I was on the alternate list, sent an additional letter from a D.O. and a professor. They called me back about a week before they said they would let me know to tell me I was accepted. They made it sound like it might help or might not, but I feel like it did.

Anyone know when the admissions committee meets? Getting anxious!!

Just got an email this morning saying that they will be making a decision on April 7, did anyone else get this? Is this generally a good or bad sign? (I interviewed on 1/13 for what it is worth, too.)

Just got an email this morning saying that they will be making a decision on April 7, did anyone else get this? Is this generally a good or bad sign? (I interviewed on 1/13 for what it is worth, too.)

I have not gotten an e-mail..... interviewed 2/7, but haven't heard anything yet. April is a long time to wait!.... I would call them and ask what that means.

I have not gotten an e-mail..... interviewed 2/7, but haven't heard anything yet. April is a long time to wait!.... I would call them and ask what that means.
I would NOT call them because they've given you a date and I don't think there's much more to it. It means they'll decide in April and not sooner. It's a precise date.

I would NOT call them because they've given you a date and I don't think there's much more to it. It means they'll decide in April and not sooner. It's a precise date.

Me.... I would call, this seems to me like your application is liked but not enough to accept you now.... if you dont want to call, perhaps think about sending in a letter of intent, let them know why you like KCOM and how interested you are.

Me.... I would call, this seems to me like your application is liked but not enough to accept you now.... if you dont want to call, perhaps think about sending in a letter of intent, let them know why you like KCOM and how interested you are.

I sent an updated transcript with my Fall 2013 grades through AACOMAS.

I would guess the reason for the wait is so they can figure out how many seats are left. Calling them won't help anything, why do something to move your name down the list? A letter of intent may be a better option, but it will likely be thrown in your file and won't make much of a difference. I feel for you though, the wait will suck. It is entirely possible to hear something before April.

Reactions: 1 user
Letter of intent = great idea to me.

Anyone know if the "accepted pending seat" (gauranteed seat class of 2019) list gets much movement and if students put on this list are ranked at all?

I do not, but I know several of my classmates that were accepted off the wait list (not accepted pending), which means they probably pulled the whole accepted pending list. These are just assumptions but it seems like you'd have a strong chance of matriculation c/o 2018

I do not, but I know several of my classmates that were accepted off the wait list (not accepted pending), which means they probably pulled the whole accepted pending list. These are just assumptions but it seems like you'd have a strong chance of matriculation c/o 2018
I hope your right!!! Do you know when the latest of your classmates received an acceptance? If I am accepted later should I worry about being able to find housing?

I hope your right!!! Do you know when the latest of your classmates received an acceptance? If I am accepted later should I worry about being able to find housing?
A friend of mine was called the first day of orientation (he's from MO though so that helped). Couldn't tell you in housing. It'll probably be hard to get something cheap at that time.

I hate the waiting game! We need to rename the process of applying to med school to reflect it better .... Maybe Apply.... Wait x wait x wait^2'

Letter of intent = great idea to me.

Is sending a letter of intent common for students to do at this school? If so, any advice on writing the letter? (like: who to address, who to send to, what to write, etc.) Thanks!

Can any current students comment on when your deposit deadlines were....?

I hate the waiting game! We need to rename the process of applying to med school to reflect it better .... Maybe Apply.... Wait x wait x wait^2'

Everyone better get used to waiting because it never ends (esp in 4th year). There's waiting for board scores, waiting on attendings/residents, waiting for residency ii, waiting for match day, waiting for graduation. Maybe it gets a little better when residency starts, but I'm sure lots of residents end up waiting for the fellowship/job game and the end of residency. It is just a big long road of waiting. . . .

Is sending a letter of intent common for students to do at this school? If so, any advice on writing the letter? (like: who to address, who to send to, what to write, etc.) Thanks!
I had called the school and asked if it would help and they told me "no" but I am still toying with the idea because it wouldn't hurt.

Everyone better get used to waiting because it never ends (esp in 4th year). There's waiting for board scores, waiting on attendings/residents, waiting for residency ii, waiting for match day, waiting for graduation. Maybe it gets a little better when residency starts, but I'm sure lots of residents end up waiting for the fellowship/job game and the end of residency. It is just a big long road of waiting. . . .
Good point! :) got my acceptance! ....now waiting for movement on the accepted pending seat list!! :) move baby move! :)

Has KCOM utilized it's alternate list in recent years?

Accepted pending availability with guaranteed 2015 seat! My first acceptance!!!

Interviewed 2/7, received the notification by email 3/3.

Has KCOM utilized it's alternate list in recent years?
+1, I am wondering the same thing. Also, does anyone know if an alternate has ever been moved to the accepted pending availability with a guaranteed spot the following year?

I swear no one uses the thread specific search function or actually tried to find answers in threads.

Yes the waitlist had seen action in past years. With that knowledge, one can assume with an accepted pending, your chances are high that you'll get pulled sooner. No idea how much waitlist action there is.

I swear no one uses the thread specific search function or actually tried to find answers in threads.

Yes the waitlist had seen action in past years. With that knowledge, one can assume with an accepted pending, your chances are high that you'll get pulled sooner. No idea how much waitlist action there is.
Thanks. It is sort of confusing when people say they were taken off the waiting list since most don't specify if it is the alternate waiting list or the accepted pending. I assume all at the beginning are the accepted pending but was curious as to how many are taken off the alternate list. From what I saw in the previous years thread it only looked like a handful of people were and I was wondering if that is how it has been for the past couple of years.