A.T. Still University Kirksville (KCOM) Discussion Thread 2012 - 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Don't they give interviews to pretty much everyone who meets the requirements?

3500+ applications for 180 spots...Think about that. Getting an interview at almost any school is a wonderful accomplishment in itself. They don't have the time, the staff, or probably even the desire to interview all those nerds.

Members don't see this ad.

3500+ applications for 180 spots...Think about that. Getting an interview at almost any school is a wonderful accomplishment in itself. They don't have the time, the staff, or probably even the desire to interview all those nerds.

Ok ok, I guess I wasn't really thinking. Lol

Yay, Just submitted my secondary!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
we do not have to submit another batch of mcat scores directly to this school because it is in the aacomas application correct?

we do not have to submit another batch of mcat scores directly to this school because it is in the aacomas application correct?

yes, that was my understanding

Don't they give interviews to pretty much everyone who meets the requirements?

I think you got the point, so I won't hound you anymore about that but I thought It might be helpful to give you an idea of how many they do interview/accept. Just please keep in mind I could be completely off as this is just my estimation.

On my interview day I was in a fairly small group with what seemed like no more than 10-15 people and if memory serves there were two days per week that you could choose from for most weeks and may be a week or two with three days. I know they don't start interviews until October because I was there for mine the 2nd week of Oct and they told me we were literally their second interview group for the year. I believe they do most of their interviewing from oct-april or 7 months. You figure several weeks of no interviews due to holidays ect so about 25 weeks of interviewing. If they average (13 people/ group)(2.5 groups/week)(25weeks)=800 or so interviews.

You could also come at it from the opposite direction: They need to fill 180 seats so they need to accept/accept pending at least twice that and build up a modest wait list or around 300acceptances50 accepted pending and 50 wait list 400 or so and you would think they would at least interview twice the number of people they need to fill those lists which puts you back to that 800ish range for interviews. So at around 3500 applicants that's about a 20% chance for an interview. Anyone please feel free to add your thoughts if I'm way off on interview group size, frequency per week, or anything else, and remember this is just a guess!! Any who good luck to all applying I'll be rooting for you!!

except that there are many factors (like each person's stats and EC's) 20% is a good estimate of how many actually get an invite. I think the CHANCE of an interview varies much more from 1% to 99%. But that's just technicalities... .

I totally agree your chances go way above or way below 20% depending on your personal appliction strength and other factors.

Members don't see this ad :)
Whoa. I thought I was in the KCUMB thread and was about to freak out about not even receiving it yet. Checked my email to make sure I had already submitted this baby (ATSU-KCOM). Submitted on 6/28.

Karma .. This is what happens for you messing with people on the pcom thread

Submitted. Now we play the waiting game.

Does anyone know if we get a "complete" email from KCOM? I checked my status on the website and all of my stuff was marked as received a week ago, but I haven't gotten anything from them.

Does anyone know if we get a "complete" email from KCOM? I checked my status on the website and all of my stuff was marked as received a week ago, but I haven't gotten anything from them.

I can't remember anything past getting an email with a code to check status...

Had a little extra cash lying around so I added KCOM to my list of schools. Now to do that secondary.... :/

Thanks! Hopefully I'm all set then :D Now time to wait :scared:
Yeah, that code is kind of pointless... it's not updated very often. Anyways, you guys should probably start hearing about interview invites once August rolls around, and I'm pretty sure that the interviews start in October.

Yeah, that code is kind of pointless... it's not updated very often. Anyways, you guys should probably start hearing about interview invites once August rolls around, and I'm pretty sure that the interviews start in October.

Cool...I can't wait to get something scheduled

All my letters have been marked as received, so I'm assuming I'm complete now! :)

Now to wait for an interview here. Or rejection.

Here's a link you should have by now. click
Goto the free online download. Most of you probably have seen this already, but just for those that haven't...

All my letters have been marked as received, so I'm assuming I'm complete now! :)

Now to wait for an interview here. Or rejection.

Lol, don't think about rejections or you'll be stressing all the way til the spring...

Just in general for everyone, remember you only control so much of this process. While that might cause some to worry alot: simply don't. I believe the statistic in getting into med school is higher than most think it is. It's on the order of 40% I believe. While that's not as high as some hope for, remember some of that 60% that don't make it this year are the people that are applying for the wrong reasons; obviously won't cut it; applied too late; etc.

Also on that note, keep in mind that SDN represents a small number of the actual applicants so don't think that everything that is posted up here is the norm... Anyways, relax while you can! Sooner than later interview invites will start coming out and then you can resume the hurry up and wait/agonizing wait/anxious thinking all over again.

I submitted on Friday the 6th and got the code Monday the 9th! So quick turnaround :)

Thanks. I think I've confused the adcoms, so I think I should just be quiet wait for my code...heh

Got my DO LOR finally.... I will sending in the LORs shortly.... For details about the epic DO LOR wars see lecom-B thread....

Anyone aware when secondary scrutiny starts to go down? First wave of applicant interview invites? Ugh, this ish gives me ulcers.

My bad, August. Neurosis has me inattentive. Gluck folks!

Dear KCOM,

It has been brought to my attention that you have failed to mark me complete. While I am sure you understand the time is money, however money can not buy time. I understand that other unsaid persons have applied to your school, if you feel they are somehow in the way of the review process of my application please feel free to put their apps aside and review mine. They won't mind and nobody has to know.:D

All my love,

Worldchanger36

Dear KCOM,

It has been brought to my attention that you have failed to mark me complete. While I am sure you understand the time is money, however money can not buy time. I understand that other unsaid persons have applied to your school, if you feel they are somehow in the way of the review process of my application please feel free to put their apps aside and review mine. They won't mind and nobody has to know.:D

All my love,

Worldchanger36

:laugh: if only!

Dear KCOM,

All my love,

Worldchanger36

:laugh:

The "Clinical Health Experiences" section of the secondary only gives you four slots. What if we have more than 4?

Anyone having trouble with retrieving their ACT/SAT scores? I don't even remember which email I used to try to use the "forgot user ID/password" function.

Anyone having trouble with retrieving their ACT/SAT scores? I don't even remember which email I used to try to use the "forgot user ID/password" function.
It's not that big of a deal if you can't find them

Hello Kirksville forum. I hate to be another "what are my chances" person, but I cannot resist. I'm a 24N with a 3.20 gpa but I have a lot of shadowing (100+hours) and extracurricular stuff (captain of my undergrad's track team, christian leadership council, freshman seminar mentor, etc, etc). What I think sets me apart is that my uncle, grandfather, two great uncles, and two cousins are all graduates of ATSU-KCOM and I explained how I have grown up around osteopathic medicine and the holistic worldview all my life.

What're my chances?! Lol

Hello Kirksville forum. I hate to be another "what are my chances" person, but I cannot resist. I'm a 24N with a 3.20 gpa but I have a lot of shadowing (100+hours) and extracurricular stuff (captain of my undergrad's track team, christian leadership council, freshman seminar mentor, etc, etc). What I think sets me apart is that my uncle, grandfather, two great uncles, and two cousins are all graduates of ATSU-KCOM and I explained how I have grown up around osteopathic medicine and the holistic worldview all my life.

What're my chances?! Lol

24/3.2 is pretty low. Median is somewhere around 3.6/26. If you have a sub-sectional score of <6 your chances are 0.

I don't know how much emphasis KCOM puts on legacies, but it will probably help a litle.

I'm 10 Verbal, 8 Bio, 6 physical. I have A's and B's in my Bio classes but I got a C in Physics I and a B in Physics II. My sciences gpa is a 3.3, my cumulative is a 3.03. I go to a liberal arts school so we take alot of extra nonmajor classes to be "well rounded".

I'm 10 Verbal, 8 Bio, 6 physical. I have A's and B's in my Bio classes but I got a C in Physics I and a B in Physics II. My sciences gpa is a 3.3, my cumulative is a 3.03. I go to a liberal arts school so we take alot of extra nonmajor classes to be "well rounded".
To be honest, at this point those stats are too low. Retake classes and MCAT. They might factor in your family members as KCOM grads but I wouldn't rely on that. Either way, best of luck

I think I'm gonna go for it and try again next year if I don't get it. My gpa will be better after this year and I don't have the money to retake the MCAT and pay for secondaries

I think I'm gonna go for it and try again next year if I don't get it. My gpa will be better after this year and I don't have the money to retake the MCAT and pay for secondaries

Im glad we could help answer your question!

:bang: