Ask your random questions about AADSAS here!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How does your DAT get uploaded through AADSAS? Is it through the DENTPIN or do I have to do something?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
How do we see the status of our application per school on AADSAS? My email from VCU says: "Your application will be reviewed for the above items and your status updated to Application is Complete and Under Review upon receipt of all materials. To do so, visit: https://portal.aadsasweb.org/. Log on to your AADSAS application and click the status menu on the horizontal toolbar at the top of the page."

I don't see any kind of toolbar or anything. So anyone know where it is we can actually see this?

I think that was only for previous years (not sure). And they haven't updated their automated message.

Members don't see this ad :)
There is but there is no info there from any school about what the status of the application is. Just says something like "No info to show here". Maybe it'll update later
Yes, it will update later. Schools do that individually and I think updates happen at midnight

Does anyone know what "CAS App" means that I need to send ?
Where did you heard this? I thought it was just AADSAS or TMDAS.

Edit: AADSAS is your CAS for dental so if you see it blank, it means that they haven't updated their system yet.

Last edited:
It said it on western U page after the supplemental under documents needed or something like that
Oh I just edited my post haha but your CAS is AADSAS. Westernu didn't update it to differentiate it apparently, you will find a similar answer in the WesternU 2021 thread.

It said it on western U page after the supplemental under documents needed or something like that
I know what you are referring to. I've already answered this before in the WesterU 2021 thread IIRC, but to state again, the CAS App is referring to your AADSAS application and that will not show received until they are done processing our AADSAS applications which will take a while according to them. Don't expect that field to be updated till possibly August.

My fellow SDN'ers, I have attended the CDS Midwinter Meeting multiple years with my Pre-Dental Club, would this be better suited for Dentistry/Shadowing Experience OR Extracurricular/Volunteer/Community Service? Appreciate the input.

EDIT: OR perhaps even Academic Enrichment Programs?

Last edited:
On the PDF holistic coversheet for every school u applied to, where it says on page 1 of the PDF bottom left it says that GPA, cumulative, all undergraduate coursework and GPA, cumulative, including graduate coursework, for the subtitle of GPA, cumulative, including grad coursework does AADSAS combine both the grad and undergrad gpas under that subtitle or just calculate only the Grad gpas?

My fellow SDN'ers, I have attended the CDS Midwinter Meeting multiple years with my Pre-Dental Club, would this be better suited for Dentistry/Shadowing Experience OR Extracurricular/Volunteer/Community Service? Appreciate the input.

EDIT: OR perhaps even Academic Enrichment Programs?
I would do extracurricular.

Members don't see this ad :)
On the PDF holistic coversheet for every school u applied to, where it says on page 1 of the PDF bottom left it says that GPA, cumulative, all undergraduate coursework and GPA, cumulative, including graduate coursework, for the subtitle of GPA, cumulative, including grad coursework does AADSAS combine both the grad and undergrad gpas under that subtitle or just calculate only the Grad gpas?

The word "including" means that both grad and undergrad GPA's are taken into account when calculating the cumulative GPA

For the cover sheet, do we choose 3 things all together total? Or is it 3 per category, such as 3 from EC/community service, 3 from research experience, 3 from shadowing etc?

How do we add the degree we earn from the 2nd major we input? There is no place to input the degree under 2nd major.

So how do I enter courses that had lab+lecture combined? The course title does not indicate that a lab portion is a part of it. Should i just add "+Lab" to the course title or something?

So how do I enter courses that had lab+lecture combined? The course title does not indicate that a lab portion is a part of it. Should i just add "+Lab" to the course title or something?

To be on the safe side, I'd just go with what your transcript list it as word-for-word. Literally just copy how your transcript list is as and don't add "+lab".

Do you list the Merit/Trustee scholarship that you started receiving when you got accepted to college under awards

QUESTION:

Are West Virginia University School of Dentistry, University of Michigan School of dentistry, and University of New England College of dental medicine OOS?

Last edited:
QUESTION:

Are West Virginia University School of Dentistry, University of Michigan School of dentistry, and University of New England College of dental medicine OOS?
What do you mean?

Yes, I am double-majoring. So from my first major I get BS and second major I get BA. But there is no place to put BA after I select my major under "2nd major"

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
If there's no place for it, there's not much you can do. Just leave it after you put the second major and don't worry about it. No one is going to get you in trouble for that lol

Should I list it for all the semesters that I received it? Because I have had it since my first semester and I still have it
Thank you
I had something like that. I think I listed the start date and said it lasted up until present. I can't remember exactly since AADSAS deleted my account now lol. See if you can do that though

Does anyone know have under school designations one like with a date that says mailed and now there is a second line under each school that says not mailed with 7/8/2016 listed on it? Does anyone know what it means? Thanks!

Does anyone know have under school designations one like with a date that says mailed and now there is a second line under each school that says not mailed with 7/8/2016 listed on it? Does anyone know what it means? Thanks!
It'll be mailed tomorrow. Don't worry about it

check Doc Toothache's guide that's stickied for OOS rates
Thank you.
I am aware of the guide and have a list of OOS friendly. I would like to know what percentage would consider "friendly" because I calculated that Roseman and Mercy have 24% of OOS acceptance. Most schools that I research on, have below 28% of OOS acceptance.

Sorry, I worded my previous questions incorrectly.

"Has your education ever been interrupted or affected adversely for reasons other than deficiencies in conduct or academic performance" For this question I mentioned something that I had depression but I didn't really mean being "depressed" like I wasn't ever diagnosed with depression! I was just undergoing some sort phase of sadness for a period of time and I'm over it now! BUT I mentioned at the end that I was able to go over it tho
I already submitted my application, and rn I'm thinking about it and I'm worried that this is gonna play against me rather than help me! since they might think that I really have depression and they probably don't want someone with depression since it it can affect decision making and cognitive ability.
Please guys give me your thoughts I'm kinda worried about this and I feel like it's going to have a negative impact regarding my acceptance.
Thank you

"Has your education ever been interrupted or affected adversely for reasons other than deficiencies in conduct or academic performance" For this question I mentioned something that I had depression but I didn't really mean being "depressed" like I wasn't ever diagnosed with depression! I was just undergoing some sort phase of sadness for a period of time and I'm over it now! BUT I mentioned at the end that I was able to go over it tho
I already submitted my application, and rn I'm thinking about it and I'm worried that this is gonna play against me rather than help me! since they might think that I really have depression and they probably don't want someone with depression since it it can affect decision making and cognitive ability.
Please guys give me your thoughts I'm kinda worried about this and I feel like it's going to have a negative impact regarding my acceptance.
Thank you
The consensus on here is generally not to mention anything like that. There is a still a major stigma against mental health illnesses. Although, I personally wouldn't use the word "depression" to describe general sadness in the future. Depression is an illness and not something I would ever wish on anyone. My life while dealing with (diagnosed) severe depression and anxiety was truly horrific. I chose not to mention it on my application because I didn't want to place any doubt in ad coms' minds about my abilities to perform in dental school.

I'm doing the secondary for ASDOH right now and I don't really understand what they mean by this question.

"Explain any prolonged periods of non-academic activity during or after full-time enrollment in formal coursework".

Do they want me to explain what I did after I graduated?

I'm doing the secondary for ASDOH right now and I don't really understand what they mean by this question.

"Explain any prolonged periods of non-academic activity during or after full-time enrollment in formal coursework".

Do they want me to explain what I did after I graduated?
Yes. They just want to make sure you're not sitting on your butt doing nothing.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
How do you send or post school specific letters of recommendation? Because many schools don't want you to send them directly to the school, is there somewhere to do it on the supplemental applications?

Thanks.

How do you send or post school specific letters of recommendation? Because many schools don't want you to send them directly to the school, is there somewhere to do it on the supplemental applications?

Thanks.
Call them and ask if they will make an exception. You don't send them in with the supplemental. By school specific do you mean a letter written by a dentist who attended that school (for example)? If they won't accept it by email/mail then you're out of luck.

Call them and ask if they will make an exception. You don't send them in with the supplemental. By school specific do you mean a letter written by a dentist who attended that school (for example)? If they won't accept it by email/mail then you're out of luck.

Like I think its UNLV asks for a letter of recommendation from a chaperone during a community service event. And I'm not using that letter in the 4 included in the AADSAS application. Where do I send that specific letter?

Like I think its UNLV asks for a letter of recommendation from a chaperone during a community service event. And I'm not using that letter in the 4 included in the AADSAS application. Where do I send that specific letter?
I just checked their requirements and don't see that anywhere. Where did you see that?

Thank you

Last year when I applied, I talked about my depression and anxiety in that section. I think it might have negatively impacted my acceptance. I received 2 interview invites and one of the interviewers told me that if I struggled because of those illnesses my freshman year then I'll probably struggle during dental school (which I thought was not true). When I talked to dental school advisors from other schools about why I might not have received interview invites, they all said that they didn't know because my application was solid. Now I'm re-applying and I did not mention anywhere in my application about my depression and anxiety. If you have a good GPA and DAT scores, then they might overshadow the depression part, but I'm not entirely sure.

sorry not UNVL it's Arizona school of dentistry and oral health which is one of my top picks.
This is where it says to send it to.

"Evaluation III may be sent directly to ASDOH (ASDOH Admissions, 800 West Jefferson Street, Kirksville, MO 63501) or electronically through Interfolio."

The consensus on here is generally not to mention anything like that. There is a still a major stigma against mental health illnesses. Although, I personally wouldn't use the word "depression" to describe general sadness in the future. Depression is an illness and not something I would ever wish on anyone. My life while dealing with (diagnosed) severe depression and anxiety was truly horrific. I chose not to mention it on my application because I didn't want to place any doubt in ad coms' minds about my abilities to perform in dental school.
True! How much do you think this is gonna iml
Last year when I applied, I talked about my depression and anxiety in that section. I think it might have negatively impacted my acceptance. I received 2 interview invites and one of the interviewers told me that if I struggled because of those illnesses my freshman year then I'll probably struggle during dental school (which I thought was not true). When I talked to dental school advisors from other schools about why I might not have received interview invites, they all said that they didn't know because my application was solid. Now I'm re-applying and I did not mention anywhere in my application about my depression and anxiety. If you have a good GPA and DAT scores, then they might overshadow the depression part, but I'm not entirely sure.
I'm wondering how many schools did you apply to and if you don't mind sharing your stats.
Sorry that you had to reapply cuz you shared that with them