Class of 2020!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It's not the duty of the court to figure out what the legislators intended. What makes this more complicated is that the original lawmakers clearly intended for subsidies to go to the states only (to coerce adoption). SCOTUS basically legislated from the bench to produce their decision.
i'm no expert, but generations of jurisprudence before King disagrees with you. You don't pull concepts out of your butt as a Justice; you cite precedents that have defined what statutory interpretation is. also...how do you know what the lawmakers intended? Were you in Congress or any of the committees when the ACA passed? :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad.

i'm no expert, but generations of jurisprudence before King disagrees with you. You don't pull concepts out of your butt as a Justice; you cite precedents that have defined what statutory interpretation is. also...how do you know what the lawmakers intended? Were you in Congress or any of the committees when the ACA passed? :rolleyes:

I'm no jurist, but the word "state" obviously isn't the same as "state and federal". Also, if the attitude of "using the past as a guide for the present" was held up, we'd still be "enforcing separate but equal". If anything, Roberts saved the Obama administration on this one. (And for the record, I fully support the SCOTUS on gay marriage. I gave Scalia +1 for King but -2 for his weird and angry rant on gay marriage).

And my point exactly. SCOTUS should have handed back the ACA for Congress to figure out if subsidies should also go to the federal exchanges. To figure out what the ACA writers intended, just Google what Gruber was saying back in '09.

Last edited:
I'm no jurist, but "state" doesn't mean "state and federal". Also, if the attitude of "using the past as a guide for the present" was held up, we'd still be "enforcing separate but equal".

And my point exactly. SCOTUS should have handed back the ACA for Congress to figure out if subsidies should also go to the federal exchanges. To figure out what the ACA writers intended, just Google what Gruber was saying back in '09.
The argument is more complicated than that, it's based on context and relies on what other parts of the law say...maybe you should actually read the opinion instead of relying on talking points from your favorite news site or pundit.

Separate but equal? Lol u a bio major? Statutory interpretation is a legal method of analysis. Separate but equal was a policy. Policies can be ruled unconstitutional. Methods of analysis must be followed.

Gruber orchestrated Romney's plan..he was nowhere near as involved in the ACA. Try Senator Baucus, Rep Waxman, Zeke Emanuel, Bob Kocher instead.

Members don't see this ad :)
The argument is more complicated than that, it's based on context and relies on what other parts of the law say...maybe you should actually read the opinion instead of relying on talking points from your favorite news site or pundit.

Separate but equal? Lol u a bio major? Statutory interpretation is a legal method of analysis. Separate but equal was a policy. Policies can be ruled unconstitutional. Methods of analysis must be followed.

Gruber orchestrated Romney's plan..he was nowhere near as involved in the ACA. Try Senator Baucus, Rep Waxman, Zeke Emanuel, Bob Kocher instead.

Sure. I'm a bio major. My legal experience isn't anywhere close to what yours is. But how the heck is "state" also "state and federal"?

I love my bro Zekey because of how hilarious he is (as in not the kind you laugh with).

The Federalist said:
Now Zeke is back with a major article in The Atlantic, in which he provides a rationale for death at age 75. In his opinion, people older than 75 are annoying. They aren’t as productive as they used to be, don’t “contribute to work, society, the world.” They are more likely to be disabled, “a state that may not be worse than death but is nonetheless deprived.” Plus, they are a pain in the ass: “they set expectations, render judgments, impose their opinions, interfere, and are generally a looming presence for even adult children.”

Zeke is only 57, but I would say he already qualifies on most of those measurements. I can’t see that he contributes much to society and the world, and he certainly “renders judgments, imposes his opinions, and interferes” where he isn’t wanted. And I would guess he isn’t as productive as he once was. Why wait until he is 75 years old?

You seem to know a lot about U.S. politics for a Canadian K-Pop singer.

Reactions: 1 users
I love my bro Zekey because of how hilarious he is (as in not the kind you laugh with).
Zeke has weird ideas about EOL care, yes. But don't be that guy who discounts everything someone does because of a specific viewpoint they hold

also I'm never going to hear the end of this huh

You're kind of eager to make me stop talking about you being a K-Pop singer, who happened to release a single called "Black & White" in 2011 that topped the charts in South Korea.

You're kind of eager to make me stop talking about you being a K-Pop singer, who happened to release a single called "Black & White" in 2011 that topped the charts in South Korea.
Ok you lost me, I don't get it?

Members don't see this ad :)
12/14 secondaries received, only 2 ultra-reach schools left. The end and the beginning are near...

So if you started doing some new community service or something kind of benign like that right now, already verified and submitting secondaries, would you send that out as an update to adcoms or anything?

Now that I'm not stuck in night classes I'm going to an org here that provides meals to families and bag lunches to kids over the summer, I'm doing food prep after work every week. Also I registered for the massive annual regional volunteer free clinic that's in October and they may call me in before now and then to do some setup related stuff with supplies as well. Wondering if those are worth sending out :/ I tried to work them into some secondaries but they rarely fit heh

So if you started doing some new community service or something kind of benign like that right now, already verified and submitting secondaries, would you send that out as an update to adcoms or anything?

Now that I'm not stuck in night classes I'm going to an org here that provides meals to families and bag lunches to kids over the summer, I'm doing food prep after work every week. Also I registered for the massive annual regional volunteer free clinic that's in October and they may call me in before now and then to do some setup related stuff with supplies as well. Wondering if those are worth sending out :/ I tried to work them into some secondaries but they rarely fit heh
Not worth update. Many schools don't care for pre-II updates. Those small things won't make or break

Not worth update. Many schools don't care for pre-II updates. Those small things won't make or break
That was kind of my feeling, but it also keeps bugging me that I decided to do this stuff only after submitting -_-; It would be with my secondary for most schools though since I'm submitting like half of em this week.

Finally verified, so I guess I'm going to be joining you guys on that secondary train. My inbox already started to flood with secondaries, so the work begins... cue mulan music.

Got a dolla' and a dream. Leggo. ;)

Mysterious as the dark side of the mooooooooooooonnnnnnn

Someone's grinding through those secondaries. ;)

Absolutely!....Not, lol. I have yet to feel the burn of procrastination to the degree in which I am able to finally act, my good sir.

(Reading pride and prejudice at the moment instead) :rolleyes:

Absolutely!....Not, lol. I have yet to feel the burn of procrastination to the degree in which I am able to finally act, my good sir.

(Reading pride and prejudice at the moment instead) :rolleyes:
NOOOOOOOOOO, you must! Go work hard! You can do it.

Reactions: 1 user
Good luck with your applications guys! I'm not applying this year but I'll definitely be living vicariously through y'all :love: I just started an internship in nuclear medicine and it's all I ever wanted in life! I have my own office (well, I share it with someone else but it has a door and it's not a cubicle!), the hours are very relaxed, and it's a very interesting mix of biochem, anatomy, and physics. The stipend is not the best, but better than all the hospitals that wanted unpaid labor :meh:

The moment when my parents don't trust me to travel on my own, and want to make every trip a mini family vacation.../sob. I really wanted to have student hosts...

sigh idk how i'm going to make it through this year. The stress is already killing me. All I think about is med school. I even wake up early and can't go back to sleep cuz I keep thinking about everything, like whether I'll get interviews, or accepted, etc.. The first thing I do in the morning is check my email and SDN....this is seriously bad for my health lol

sigh idk how i'm going to make it through this year. The stress is already killing me. All I think about is med school. I even wake up early and can't go back to sleep cuz I keep thinking about everything, like whether I'll get interviews, or accepted, etc.. The first thing I do in the morning is check my email and SDN....this is seriously bad for my health lol
I'm totally right here with you. This process can be extremely stressful and make us super neurotic, because so much of it is beyond our control. We just gotta keep staying positive!

I'm totally right here with you. This process can be extremely stressful and make us super neurotic, because so much of it is beyond our control. We just gotta keep staying positive!

haha thanks for the words of encouragement. WE CAN DO THIS!!! :)

The moment when my parents don't trust me to travel on my own, and want to make every trip a mini family vacation.../sob. I really wanted to have student hosts...
Tell them to stuff it? >_>

If it's any consolation my parents are on the other end of the spectrum and neither care about nor support me doing this so I'm cleaning out my emergency savings on app fees and, eventually, interview travel. Consider the cost savings of mini family vacations :laugh:

Tell them to stuff it? >_>

If it's any consolation my parents are on the other end of the spectrum and neither care about nor support me doing this so I'm cleaning out my emergency savings on app fees and, eventually, interview travel. Consider the cost savings of mini family vacations :laugh:
Haha, that's true! I really should be counting my blessings. I was just really hoping to explore the school and everything on my own, so the idea of having my family around irks me just a wee bit.

EDIT: I should mention that I'm also annoyed since my parents don't want me to reserve an intervew date until they find a hotel/flight/etc that works the them.

NOOOOOOOOOO, you must! Go work hard! You can do it.

I've been pre-writing in my head lol does that count? Just playing. I am devoting this weekend to it though. It's on!

Haha, that's true! I really should be counting my blessings. I was just really hoping to explore the school and everything on my own, so the idea of having my family around irks me just a wee bit.

EDIT: I should mention that I'm also annoyed since my parents don't want me to reserve an intervew date until they find a hotel/flight/etc that works the them.
Rude! No way would I want my parents to come with me and especially not make me set plans entirely around their travel deals what the crap.

So what would happen if you just... Didn't do that? >_>

Rude! No way would I want my parents to come with me and especially not make me set plans entirely around their travel deals what the crap.

So what would happen if you just... Didn't do that? >_>
They'd be pissed and pull the guilt trip card...Honestly, I hope this is just a one time thing so that my younger brother can have a mini vacation before his school starts again. I don't plan on having this be a serial thing....

Welp I got verified last night and still have 5 days left in my trip. I predicted Friday so I guess not many people submitted around my time. Guess I better work on some secondaries tonight..

They'd be pissed and pull the guilt trip card...Honestly, I hope this is just a one time thing so that my younger brother can have a mini vacation before his school starts again. I don't plan on having this be a serial thing....
I'd definitely rather have the martyr messages from my dad than have him with me on one of these trips for sure. But I was also raised Catholic so I've been heavily immunized to the effects of guilt.

I would be okay if my parents wanted to use my interview as an excuse for a vacation, like I imagine if I get an interview at Colorado during skiing season they'll want to make it a family trip to Telluride. But I'd need to stay in a different hotel as them and have no contact with them the day before and the day of the interview. But I cannot imagine having your parents come to every single interview. Talk about tiger parenting.

I've officially applied to two schools now. Should have two more by tonight. The waiting for interviews begins...

Good luck!

The continued waiting for my committee letter is... continuing.
That sucks, how long have you been waiting?

Got my first interview invite! To be fair the school interviews all in-state applicants, but I'm still excited!

Reactions: 4 users
Good luck!

The continued waiting for my committee letter is... continuing.
Yeah I'm waiting on my last letter writer right now too :/ I asked for all letters by July 15th and for many people I asked for them in May because they're all so busy. Reminded a few times and everything... My secondaries are mostly out now so that letter is the only think holding me up and I'm starting to get pretty cranky.

That sucks, how long have you been waiting?

Got my first interview invite! To be fair the school interviews all in-state applicants, but I'm still excited!
OMG a huge congrats! Any II is a big deal, so good luck!
I was verified before 7/1 and will likely keep waiting until August for this letter. It's just the way my school runs, I guess. Unfortunate but there's nothing I can do about it, sigh

Yeah I'm waiting on my last letter writer right now too :/ I asked for all letters by July 15th and for many people I asked for them in May because they're all so busy. Reminded a few times and everything... My secondaries are mostly out now so that letter is the only think holding me up and I'm starting to get pretty cranky.
Ugh, I never realized how stressful the LOR portion of our app could be. I asked for my letters in May as well but I know they all did them last minute. Professors are not so different from us ;) I hope your letter gets in quick!

I was verified before 7/1 and will likely keep waiting until August for this letter. It's just the way my school runs, I guess. Unfortunate but there's nothing I can do about it, sigh

Ugh, I never realized how stressful the LOR portion of our app could be. I asked for my letters in May as well but I know they all did them last minute. Professors are not so different from us ;) I hope your letter gets in quick!

Thanks! Yeah, I was really worried about the LORs too... I asked my professors in February to have them done by Jun 1st, last one came in July 7th...

Excuse you, I might wait until the last minute but I do not miss deadlines entirely ;P

I had considered giving them a buffer fake deadline earlier but since these are attendings I was also sure they knew how it worked and would know I was making it up. Alas!

After filling out the never ending list of secondaries, id kill for a II just to be excited about.

Hey hey party people.

Out of curiosity, if someone tells you to apply broadly, how would you interpret that?

People keep warning me about it and saying that's the mistake everyone makes their first app cycle. I kept thinking "nah, I'm applying to all kinds of programs with all kinds of stats, I'm good" but... Maybe I'm not?

And speaking of school ranges, I grew up in Texas but the only TX school I'm applying to is Baylor because the Texas app system schools all require more biology and math than I can get in the next year. I've maxed out what I can take at any local colleges because the university doesn't allow postbac students. This really bothers me because that is a HUGE hole in my applications, I feel, but I can't think of a way to fix it short of quitting my job and moving to another state, which is not really feasible. Not sure what else to do here.