Des Moines University (DMU-COM) Discussion Thread 2012 - 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Count me in! C/o '17. Excited to meet you guys later this year! Til then..

Sent from my SGH-T769

Members don't see this ad.

For any current students, what would you say, outside of your tuition, is the total cost of attending DMU per year? I'm from NJ and am trying to weigh a tuition of 27.5 at a school I can live at home while attending vs. 20 k in tuition at DMU + living expenses. Thanks.

I wish I had your problem.

But, I'd stay in Jersey if you are certain that **** is not going to hit the fan for long 4 years and you will not be forced to leave the parent's house. Because if you do have to go it is (a) annoyance of searching for a place (b) NJ is atrociously expensive compared to DMU if you attempt any sort of self-sustaining living.

I thought I read something about students needing to have finished Boards by late June.

No, we can take boards in July. Rotations start end of July, so you'd probably want to take boards no later than early/mid July. Several of my classmates were signing up for July dates.

Members don't see this ad :)
No, we can take boards in July. Rotations start end of July, so you'd probably want to take boards no later than early/mid July. Several of my classmates were signing up for July dates.

Thank you for correcting me. Good to know! So how many weeks' time did/do you get to study for boards?

Does anyone know how many they are taking in this years upcoming class? And how full it is as of now..

I heard that DMU was really picky about who they select for their interviews and that essentially if you get an interview you are typically accepted or waitlisted. Is that true?

I believe they are picky and that most are accepted/wait-listed, but I do know of someone from my interview group who said they were rejected.

I was wondering the same thing. I have an interview here coming up and I was wondering if they waitlist a lot of interviewees or is there a high chance of getting an acceptance after an interview... Anyone knowledge would be helpful!

Thank you for correcting me. Good to know! So how many weeks' time did/do you get to study for boards?

We're officially done with all classes on May 22, but those last 2 weeks are pretty light with mostly Medical Ethics and some Intro to Clinical Clerkship courses (plus 1 derm test). I scheduled my COMLEX for mid June, so I'll have almost a month of full time studying.

Members don't see this ad :)
I posted this in the other DMU 2017 thread but this one seems to have a little more activity...

I made it onto the alternate list for this school from an interview that happened within the past couple weeks.

I looked at some older threads, but was discouraged to see that it looks like it's rather difficult to make it off the waitlist. The only thing I was a little unsure about was that since I'm waitlisted much earlier in the process than some of the other historic posters (me being in Jan/Feb and them being in May/June) does that mean I have a slightly better shot? The email hasn't assigned me a ranking yet, so I don't know if that's a policy they ceased or if a ranking is coming later on. Do I even have a chance at this school? I really loved this place and wouldn't hesitate to go there for a second if given the opportunity.

I posted this in the other DMU 2017 thread but this one seems to have a little more activity...

I made it onto the alternate list for this school from an interview that happened within the past couple weeks.

I looked at some older threads, but was discouraged to see that it looks like it's rather difficult to make it off the waitlist. The only thing I was a little unsure about was that since I'm waitlisted much earlier in the process than some of the other historic posters (me being in Jan/Feb and them being in May/June) does that mean I have a slightly better shot? The email hasn't assigned me a ranking yet, so I don't know if that's a policy they ceased or if a ranking is coming later on. Do I even have a chance at this school? I really loved this place and wouldn't hesitate to go there for a second if given the opportunity.

from what i understand, and i am not certain, people get asked in april if they are still interested and then ranked in may. so it doesn't sound like being earlier will be any benefit. that being said, last year there was a decent amount of waitlist movement but the year before there was almost none. so there is really no way of knowing. but good luck and keep the faith!

WListed applicants are ranked in different quartiles. You will be informed in May via email which quartile you are placed in. How they rank people is really vague. I PMed couple of people from last cycle who got accepted off the WL about what they did to be ranked higher up on the list. Several of them informed me that they did absolutely nothing after they were initially placed on the WL , while some others said that they sent in regular updates.

Anyone have any experiences with tricky questions during their interview? I heard its pretty conversational but just want to see if there was any specific experiences...

Anyone have any experiences with tricky questions during their interview? I heard its pretty conversational but just want to see if there was any specific experiences...

It was absolutely the most pleasant interview I've had yet ever, not just medical school. Of course, learn about the school, prep for some of the notorious toughies just in case, and come with good questions. Oh yea, most importantly, be able to answer questions, and well, about anything on your app. 95% of my interview was clarifying points on my app, such as a questionable academic performance ( e.g., bad anatomy grade).

I don't know why, but today seems like it's gonna be a great daaaaaaaayyyy...

Does DMU email the acceptance letters?

E-mail and snail mail. Very quick response (< 1 week in my case).

Last edited:
Np. Good luck to yous guys. :)

Good luck to all recent interviewees.

On a different thought -- is anyone going to the second look? And from Des-Moinites: where are better/acceptable places to live both near and away from school?

Good luck to all recent interviewees.

On a different thought -- is anyone going to the second look? And from Des-Moinites: where are better/acceptable places to live both near and away from school?

Depends on your definition of acceptable and how far you want. Also depends if you have to put kids in school or if you want to be close to the social scene. Depends on whether location is more important than size or vice versa. West Des Moines is popular among students. Few, including myself, live up in johnston. Couple live downtown. Urbandale and Ankeny are good. Clive as well.

Depends on your definition of acceptable and how far you want. Also depends if you have to put kids in school or if you want to be close to the social scene. Depends on whether location is more important than size or vice versa. West Des Moines is popular among students. Few, including myself, live up in johnston. Couple live downtown. Urbandale and Ankeny are good. Clive as well.

I'm trying to find a small (2BR) home to rent within a 10 -15 minute drive of school. My boyfriend will be working and I think we can probably afford 1000-1200 total including all utilities per month. Does this seem reasonable to you?

I'm trying to find a small (2BR) home to rent within a 10 -15 minute drive of school. My boyfriend will be working and I think we can probably afford 1000-1200 total including all utilities per month. Does this seem reasonable to you?

Just rationalizing here, but I read somewhere that the average 2 br apt is about $700/month. I'm betting you can find one within your range. With that said, I'm kinda freaking out a bit about finding a place in a city that's several hours away from the city I live in. Good luck!

I don't know where they got the $700/month for a 2BR, I sure haven't found any in that range and I've been searching since September.

I don't know where they got the $700/month for a 2BR, I sure haven't found any in that range and I've been searching since September.

Right..and I'm looking for a house not an apartment. Found a great one on craigslist and pretty sure it was a scam. This is definitely difficult from a distance!

What are the actual price ranges for 2 br apartments, realistically? Damn, moving sucks..

Right..and I'm looking for a house not an apartment. Found a great one on craigslist and pretty sure it was a scam. This is definitely difficult from a distance!

That is exactly my issue. I'm so frustrated that I've just given up for awhile. I might start looking around a couple weeks before the Second Look day.

I have rented long distance before (that's how I found my pace in Oregon).
With apartments it involved trolling crime reports on local website and extensive calling apartments/house rental managers.
Difference between Portland and Des Moine appears to be that Des Moine Craigslist is significantly less utilized - so less places to call.
And I agree with baby doc, we have not found a <700/mo 2B house or apt yet anywhere within 10 -15 minute range.

Frky, to me acceptable = no gun shots within ear shots, no stray bullets and do drunking neightbours at whome I would have to fire bullet because they are too loud while trying to study. Oh, and I would like to keep my car from being broken in/stolen -- it served me well despite couple of bullet holes (resulting from occasional mistakes in choosing residency place).

I grew up and in large cities (4+ million), and Des Moine will be the smallest place I ever lived in at 500K.

Frky, to me acceptable = no gun shots within ear shots, no stray bullets and do drunking neightbours at whome I would have to fire bullet because they are too loud while trying to study. Oh, and I would like to keep my car from being broken in/stolen -- it served me well despite couple of bullet holes (resulting from occasional mistakes in choosing residency place).

I grew up and in large cities (4+ million), and Des Moine will be the smallest place I ever lived in at 500K.

Yea I am looking for something similar. The only affordable options (Im looking for a house not an apt) all seem to be east of the school and or city. The only former DMU student I have met counseled me not to live on the east side though. Have you turned up anything good yet?

Des Moines doesn't have any areas like that. We are a pretty safe area and if it happens, it is rare. But it does happen occasionally and some areas are worse than others. Near Drake University is one of those areas, specifically 24th or so to 6th Ave. Also east of the school isn't the East Side. East Side is anything east of the river and it isn't necessarily bad, it is just different. That is the type of area where there are car parts stores on every corner and people leave their cars on cement blocks for months at a time. It isn't crime infested and definitely isn't full of bad people, it just isn't the high class neighborhood many are used to. there are definitely positives to that but it isn't for everyone. South side isn't too bad. it really depends on your goals. if you are looking for a place to sleep, go anywhere. if you are looking to put kids through schools and block parties, that is different.

Just got the email saying I was accepted. Interviewed on Feb. 1st. Can't wait!

Waitlisted:( interviewed on jan 31

Waitlist > or >> rejection. Keep your head up. There's still a good amount of time left to see movement on the list. With that said, I know nothing about that aspect of the process at DMU, but I still wanna wish you luck.

I have to agree with Frky about the areas in Des Moines. There isn't anywhere here where I feel unsafe (and there were plenty where we moved from). As far as the $700/mo two bedroom, if you find it let me know. Housing was the one thing that took some patience when we moved here. If you have some requirements in a place (ie more than one bedroom, or pets or beig near a certain school), it's going to take a lot more leg work and probably cost you more. If you are the type of person who can live in a no frills apartment, they have plenty of great ones across from the school. I wanted a two bedroom and have a dog so it took us two trips to find a place.

On my way to DMU! Super excited just hope that there are still spots open and I'm not interviewing for a wait list spot.

On my way to DMU! Super excited just hope that there are still spots open and I'm not interviewing for a wait list spot.

Good luck, Sir/Ma'am. My interview day was very comfortable, including the interview itself. Never had a more relaxed interview. Enjoy yourself regardless.

Last edited:

Awesome me too. I have a friend in the DPM program and she gave me an impromptu little tour today. I was blown away by what I saw. Hopefully there will be actually acceptances out of tomorrow!

Good luck, Sir/Ma'am. My interview day was very comfortable, including the interview itself. Never had a more relaxed interview. Enjoy yourself regardless.

Thanks, I have heard nothing but good things about the interview day at DMU.

Awesome me too. I have a friend in the DPM program and she gave me an impromptu little tour today. I was blown away by what I saw. Hopefully there will be actually acceptances out of tomorrow!

Thats cool, I have a friend in the DPM too but she is a 4th year so not around right now. Good luck tomorrow!!

App complete 1/29
Interview 2/8
Acceptance 2/13

Woowoo Sigh of relief

The interview ended up to be my highlight of the day. My 30-min interview turned into an hour!

Congrats! My interview ended up running pretty long too. Who did you interview with?

Interviewed today and it is like everybody says, super conversational and enjoyable. I really hope to get in here!

Does anybody know about how long it took for people to get their Pulse info in the mail once they paid their seat deposit?

rejected post-secondary

stats:
3.33 sGPA
URM, OOS, non-trad (mid-20's)
23 mcat 7PS/8/8
A's in every pre-req except Gen Chem II (B)

good luck to everyone else.

rejected post-secondary

stats:
3.33 sGPA
URM, OOS, non-trad (mid-20's)
23 mcat 7PS/8/8
A's in every pre-req except Gen Chem II (B)

good luck to everyone else.

What kept your sGPA down? Trend? Could you improve your MCAT? ECs? How did your interview feel?

I ask because, from what you put, we have some similarities. Hoping I can give you a pointer or something.