Des Moines University (DMU-COM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Sorry for the dumb question, but when the secondary asks for the letter writer's title, do we put 'Professor of Anatomy/Medical Doctor/etc.' or just 'Doctor/Mrs./etc.'?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry for the dumb question, but when the secondary asks for the letter writer's title, do we put 'Professor of Anatomy/Medical Doctor/etc.' or just 'Doctor/Mrs./etc.'?

I did the former! I figured professional titles made more sense.

Members don't see this ad :)
Received secondary today.

Reactions: 1 user
Is the DMU secondary available to anyone?

I have mid 3.x GPA and 95+percentile MCAT, and just got a email from DMU saying that they regret to inform me that they are unable to invite me to complete a supplemental application. What's going on??

I think I may be the first person rejected pre-secondary this year. Fantastic start.:boom::boom::boom::boom::boom:

I have mid 3.x GPA and 95+percentile MCAT, and just got a email from DMU saying that they regret to inform me that they are unable to invite me to complete a supplemental application. What's going on??

That's interesting. I have worse stats and already got an interview invite, but maybe its because my GPA "as a number" is bad early in my academic career with psychology and art school, but got a 3.90 with my first stab at a pre-med curriculum.

Nvm I just found out it's because they don't take international applications. It's weird that I added them onto my list when I specifically curated my list from only the schools that take international applications. Nvm DMU, we are good.

I think I may be the first person rejected pre-secondary this year. Fantastic start.:boom::boom::boom::boom::boom:

With those stats, I would not be very worried. If you applied broadly you will get an acceptance.

^^^ I'm half convinced they have all of our names in a large glass dish and they just pick a few at random each day to interview and to reject.

Reactions: 1 users
Nvm I just found out it's because they don't take international applications. It's weird that I added them onto my list when I specifically curated my list from only the schools that take international applications. Nvm DMU, we are good.

Although I'm glad for you that it isn't because you had a weak application, now I don't feel special :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Although I'm glad for you that it isn't because you had a weak application, now I don't feel special :)

lol I'm sure DMU wouldn't agreed with you, otherwise why would they give out one of their precious interview spots for someone who's not special?

Members don't see this ad :)

They tell you that for each seat in the class ~30 others were looking for that spot. You're on your way!

First II of the season just now!! Super pumped, no. 1 choice!

Reactions: 4 users
Still no interview invite....starting to get nervous

Reactions: 4 users
I'm waiting for II as well. What's your stats like? I have 3.4X GPA and >90 percentile MCAT with decent ECs...

Have faith!!! We have a long road ahead. Stay strong!!!!!!!

x

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Do we need to report speeding tickets on the secondary? It says: "Applicants must provide information about all pending charges (infractions, misdemeanors, and criminal) and all convictions, including deferred sentences, deferred judgements, dismissals, expungements, etc., related to any infraction, misdemeanor or felony charge (excluding parking violations)." What exactly is an infraction?

Do we need to report speeding tickets on the secondary? It says: "Applicants must provide information about all pending charges (infractions, misdemeanors, and criminal) and all convictions, including deferred sentences, deferred judgements, dismissals, expungements, etc., related to any infraction, misdemeanor or felony charge (excluding parking violations)." What exactly is an infraction?

I read in another thread that infraction = any violation of the law. Not sure what that constitutes though to be honest.

I read in another thread that infraction = any violation of the law. Not sure what that constitutes though to be honest.
I just emailed them. I'll post their response when I get it.

So is everyone planning on flying into Des Moines airport? The fees are so high! :mad:

So is everyone planning on flying into Des Moines airport? The fees are so high! :mad:

Flights from where I am (east coast) aren't too too bad. Probably gonna try to stay there for one night to cut hotel costs down.

Flights from where I am (east coast) aren't too too bad. Probably gonna try to stay there for one night to cut hotel costs down.

Same. Between here and Kirksville, I might just end up driving & popping in a motel for a night. It might end up being cheaper with it being a 8-10 hour drive.

Kind of a weird question, I guess, but would a teaching experience be an ok thing to delve into on my "service" experience,

...or would this only be for...volunteer experience, or possibly a personal service experience with a family member?

Thanks!

Kind of a weird question, I guess, but would a teaching experience be an ok thing to delve into on my "service" experience,

...or would this only be for...volunteer experience, or possibly a personal service experience with a family member?

Thanks!

If you got paid it wouldn't really be service. Teaching as a volunteer would count.

If you got paid it wouldn't really be service. Teaching as a volunteer would count.
It was during student teaching which I paid the teacher to allow me to do. So, yes, as a leadership role, I think I will use it as service. Thanks!

The question is pretty vague.
I would say any experience where you served another would count as service experience, whether that be paid or unpaid. Given the wording of the prompt, I don't think getting paid would prevent it from being classified as service.

Last edited:
The question is pretty vague.
I would say any experience where you served another would count as service experience, whether that be paid or unpaid. Given the wording of the prompt, I don't think getting paid would prevent it from being classified as service.

I interpreted it this way as well, I put down a paid experience. The wording led me to believe that would be fine.(however my CARS skills aren't exactly amazing lol)

Any current students mind shooting me a pm and answering some questions?

Seems like only ppl with a 508+ mcat are getting interviews atm

II!!!! :) :)

Reactions: 5 users
Nice job on that GPA! You deserve that II!!!!

Thank you!:) I appreciate it!
I really did not think I'd get an II because of my low MCAT.

I just emailed them. I'll post their response when I get it.
This is their response: If the ticket is just an average speeding ticket that did not result in a misdemeanor or felony, then you do not need to list it on your application.

Last edited: