DMU-COM Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Apparently I was a lucky one that wasn't grilled. The questions were very conversational, and very expected. Why medicine, why DO, how would you react if you failed.... I looked over last years thread and the interview feedback section and felt prepared. Good luck to those interviewing soon!

Members don't see this ad.

I've heard the first deposit is due in December. I haven't seen that in writing, but I'm fairly certain.

Members don't see this ad :)
Same here. DMU is my top OOS choice. I'm going to withdraw from my other OOS interviews if I get an acceptance here. That'll save a bunch of time! Unfortunately it's my first medschool interview. :scared: Hope I don't screw it up.

I checked out the residency matches on the DMU website, and it looks like there are a lot of people who matched into surgical residencies!! And some were even in texas! That's a double bonus for me if I end up going to DMU. Something to work for I guess, lol.

Anyway, good luck to us. Is anybody interviewing on 9/29??

Hey Buhl! How did that interview go for you?

hey guys, I emailed them to reschedule my interview. It was originally on 9/8 (this thursday) but something came up and have to reschedule. I hope they still give my interview spot to someone even though its such short notice.

I must respectfully disagree with Texastaco,

I also interviewed but I felt that my interview was almost too low stress. They barely asked me any questions (just why doctor why DO and why DMU). Other times, they were just discussing amongst themselves, as though they forgot I was there!

Therefore, I have no clue how I did, which is a bad thing...

just added DMU to my primary app list. didnt at first cuz i thought my mcat was too low below their average but i just took it again this past friday, god willing i hope i did better. DMU and CCOM are my top choices. do u guys know how DMU looks at multiple mcat takes? do they take the best score, most recent etc.?

Has anyone else had problems with DMU's student hosting program?

I sent out a few polite requests to host and only one student got back to me . . . 8 days later . . . with a response fratboy-esque response that started out with "hey whats up dude."

Is this just me?

Has anyone else had problems with DMU's student hosting program?

I sent out a few polite requests to host and only one student got back to me . . . 8 days later . . . with a response fratboy-esque response that started out with "hey whats up dude."

Is this just me?

LOL! I have had two people respond back to me about a week or two after I sent out requests and they were both willing to host me. Both were girls though...maybe for guys it's a bit different...? :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey does anyone know of any hotels near DMU that have a shuttle to/from the airport as well as to DMU??? I don't really want to rent a car just for a day and a half. If anyone recommends any hotels that are close enough to campus to take a cab too I'd appreciate it : D

heres to hoping a new batch of interview invites come out tomorrow...or this week...and I get 1 :)

Hey all. I posted this earlier, but i'm a 1st year DMU student and if anyone has questions about your interview day, the school, etc feel free to PM me.

For interviews biggest piece of advice I can offer is RELAX AND BE YOURSELF. Every day my friends and I eat lunch by the big table where you interviewees sit...and its super easy to pick out the ultra-stressed so...relax and have fun!

Interviewing this Thursday, 09/08, who else is gonna be there with me!! : D I'm just planning on getting cabs while I'm there if anyone else is interested in checking out downtown after the interview

Interviewing this Thursday, 09/08, who else is gonna be there with me!! : D I'm just planning on getting cabs while I'm there if anyone else is interested in checking out downtown after the interview

I'll be flying in tomorrow for the 9/8. huzzah!

i am so friggin pumped for my interview on 9/12. Oh man. anyone wanna PM me some awesome tips i wouldn't be mad.

Wish I was interviewing before you so I could give you tips! Good luck anyway. :D

i am so friggin pumped for my interview on 9/12. Oh man. anyone wanna PM me some awesome tips i wouldn't be mad.

Me too! See you monday! Unfortunately I am devoid of tips, but I would love to "know" somebody from SDN on interview day!

Anyone else interviewing on the 15th? I am excited and nervous about the interview because it's my first one! :scared:

Anyone else interviewing on the 15th? I am excited and nervous about the interview because it's my first one! :scared:

Is it weird that I always read your posts in my head with the Lisa Simpson voice? I can't help it! It just happens... :laugh:

Have a great interview day! Mine's on the 29th.

Is it weird that I always read your posts in my head with the Lisa Simpson voice? I can't help it! It just happens... :laugh:

Have a great interview day! Mine's on the 29th.

I did that too after I read your post and it was pretty funny :laugh:

Good luck with your interview as well! :luck:

In Des Moines literally right across from campus staying with a student. Excited for my interview tomorrow!!!

One week after interview....

Chances we hear something early??? I'm hoping!

Interview !!YES!!!!!!!!!! that makes Seven schools applied to and Seven interviews recived!!!!! I am really looking forword to seeing DMU as it is my first choice school!

^ I just my invite too! Yay for batch #2 :D
Just started working full-time this past week, so hopefully I can find sometime off

^ I just my invite too! Yay for batch #2 :D
Just started working full-time this past week, so hopefully I can find sometime off

When were you guys complete... I was really hoping to get in this batch :(

When were you guys complete... I was really hoping to get in this batch :(
i was complete 8/12 and didnt get an interview yet :( it says 60 days on the complete email so hopefully ill hear back soon or more of the batch emails will come out later today :xf:

i was complete 8/12 and didnt get an interview yet :( it says 60 days on the complete email so hopefully ill hear back soon or more of the batch emails will come out later today :xf:

I was complete 8/14... PLEASE DMU!!! SHOW SOME LOVE!!! :beat:

I haven't even interviewed yet and I already give DMU admissions office a 10/10 for helpfulness. They've answered every question and fixed every problem of mine within one phone call. :thumbup::thumbup:

I was complete 8/14... PLEASE DMU!!! SHOW SOME LOVE!!! :beat:
it looks like when the 1st batch went out a few got hold status so as long as we havent received an email period we are in good shape and they may have just not gotten to our apps (probably why they say 60 days~2 batches)

it looks like when the 1st batch went out a few got hold status so as long as we havent received an email period we are in good shape and they may have just not gotten to our apps (probably why they say 60 days~2 batches)

I like your logic.

I was complete on 8/5 so your theory might me right, good luck! and may your interview invite speedily arrive.

I was complete on 8/5 so your theory might me right, good luck! and may your interview invite speedily arrive.

Well that is sort of relieving... but unfortunately the weekend is coming up so I know that it will not be speedy enough...

When it comes to medical school applications nothing is ever speedy enough :)

Very Happy to receive an invite today. Due to 2 other interviews this month plus finishing my last semester of school, I will have to schedule for Friday Oct. 7 plus the plane flight is half price then vs. anytime in September. Congrats to everyone else! Would drive, but too far from Alabama:)

Very Happy to receive an invite today. Due to 2 other interviews this month plus finishing my last semester of school, I will have to schedule for Friday Oct. 7 plus the plane flight is half price then vs. anytime in September. Congrats to everyone else! Would drive, but too far from Alabama:)
when were u complete?

Just received one as well! I'll also be there on October 7th. That's the earliest one I can make. So excited!

when were u complete?

I received the complete email on 8/5 so just over a month ago. In the email it stated they would respond within 60 days, so they responded in 35 days. Under promise and over deliver, that's what I am talking about.

So I loved everything about DMU!!! This school is seriously amazing and is definitely my first choice now. It was my second interview so it was nice to have another school to compare it to as well.
Overall the interview day was very relaxed. We met with the associate dean of admissions and went around the table introducing ourselves. Then he gave us a sheet detailing all the reasons why DMU is awesome. Then we heard a financial aid talk for like 15 minutes. Then we got a tour of the Sim lab and surgical suite and heard the Dean of the college speak. I was a little sad that no one got to deliver a baby though. Afterwards we saw an OMM demonstration, had lunch, took a tour of the anatomy lab library gym etc. and then had the interview. (Some people interviewed then toured). My interview was relaxed and very conversational. I even ended up recommending a book to one of my interviewers. Someone said that they try to match you up with people you have things in common with which seemed to be true. Overall I loved this school and I will be pretty upset if I don't get in since I have a strong feeling I will end up there next fall if accepted.

I was complete Aug 4th and just got an invite. Sounds like they go through apps in order.

just added DMU to my primary app list. didnt at first cuz i thought my mcat was too low below their average but i just took it again this past friday, god willing i hope i did better. DMU and CCOM are my top choices. do u guys know how DMU looks at multiple mcat takes? do they take the best score, most recent etc.?

I was wondering the same thing...

(interviewing 9/12. g'luck to everyone else!)