DMU-COM Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
F. That sucks. This is me hoping they overlook your mistake and you get the benefit of the doubt. However, I don't think it looks good. Good luck though and I guess this is why we apply to multiple schools.

Ah well, I'm not beating myself up over it. They already rejected me based on my <3.0 sGPA (2.96) so it was a long shot anyway. Gluck to everyone gunning for DMU

Members don't see this ad.

Oh man, I just totally messed up LOL.

So I was writing an appeal email to the Admissions office and wrote this awesome story about maturing, etc etc. I put [Institution] in place of DMU's name since I was going to use the same letter for KCUMB. I ended up hitting send before changing [Institution] back to DMU-COM. Noticed it the second after it submitted and unfortunately, cannot recall emails through Gmail. I fail at proofreading. Sent them a second email with the fixes and just said that I forgot to include my AACOMAS ID#.

/writes DMU off his list for good and hangs head in shame.

FYI, I think it is under options, maybe a Labs option, you can chose to have an Undo option to sent mail in Gmail. It gives you like 10 seconds to cancel the send. It has saved me a couple times when I hit send, and then immediately realized I messed something up.

Oh man, I just totally messed up LOL.

So I was writing an appeal email to the Admissions office and wrote this awesome story about maturing, etc etc. I put [Institution] in place of DMU's name since I was going to use the same letter for KCUMB. I ended up hitting send before changing [Institution] back to DMU-COM. Noticed it the second after it submitted and unfortunately, cannot recall emails through Gmail. I fail at proofreading. Sent them a second email with the fixes and just said that I forgot to include my AACOMAS ID#.

/writes DMU off his list for good and hangs head in shame.

ouch!! :| that's gotta hurt! here's hoping they understand.. i feel there should be some allowance in this extremely strict procedures for human errors that we all are prone to..

good luck to you for the rest of the schools you've applied to.. and hope DMU, by some miracle, understands, and accepts the final version :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got the secondary this morning, and within 10 minutes afterwards I got the fasttrack interview invite!! First interview invite for me this cycle, super excited! Anyone else interviewing on 9/29?

Just got the secondary this morning, and within 10 minutes afterwards I got the fasttrack interview invite!! First interview invite for me this cycle, super excited! Anyone else interviewing on 9/29?

that rocks!

to anyone interviewing before 9/12, if you are following this thread, you know how pumped I am for this interview. when you guys get done with your interview, if you can PM me with any and all available tips that would be VERY appreciated. This will be my first interview so I won't have any "practice" before (i have had many jobs as a nontrad so I am very familiar and comfortable with job interviews). It would have been nice to get one under my belt but that isn't going to work. so any input would be SUPER AWESOME.

that rocks!

to anyone interviewing before 9/12, if you are following this thread, you know how pumped I am for this interview. when you guys get done with your interview, if you can PM me with any and all available tips that would be VERY appreciated. This will be my first interview so I won't have any "practice" before (i have had many jobs as a nontrad so I am very familiar and comfortable with job interviews). It would have been nice to get one under my belt but that isn't going to work. so any input would be SUPER AWESOME.

I interview on 9/2, PM me any time after and I'll let you know how it goes, it'll be my first one as well.

For those of you with IIs who did not receive the fast track invites, how long did it take from when your file was complete until you received your invitation?

Complete July 13 and interview invite August 4

Booked my hotel room for September 1st. Interview on September 2nd. I'm starting to get anxious...

They just changed their into student policy!!!! Refunded my secondary! Whyyyyy? Anyone know anything about this????

They just changed their into student policy!!!! Refunded my secondary! Whyyyyy? Anyone know anything about this????

I'm struggling to make sense of what you are saying. You want them to refund your secondary payment because they changed some policy? What did they change into student policy?

Members don't see this ad :)
i read that as DMU refunded their secondary money basically saying "just kidding." it made my heart drop in panic becausemy excitement for a DMU interiew has me awake nights. and working nights has me awake, but I blame DMU.

i read that as DMU refunded their secondary money basically saying "just kidding." it made my heart drop in panic becausemy excitement for a DMU interiew has me awake nights. and working nights has me awake, but I blame DMU.
like they changed the stats for a secondary and thus refunded people who didnt meet the stats? kinda confused here lol

Maybe something about International Students? Not accepting them anymore? Refunded his secondary because of this?

All speculation.

Maybe something about International Students? Not accepting them anymore? Refunded his secondary because of this?

All speculation.

Ah, this makes sense - the poor english, and maybe "into" was supposed to be "intl".

All speculation.

I received an email from DMU and they are no longer accepting applications from international students, including Canadians. They refunded my secondary application. It's too bad - I was really looking forward to DMU.

That's so strange. All I know is I'm going to my interview unless they send me an email or call me saying otherwise. THAT'S FINAL! :smuggrin:

That's so strange. All I know is I'm going to my interview unless they send me an email or call me saying otherwise. THAT'S FINAL! :smuggrin:

Did you get an invite? It would be awesome if you didn't get an invite and just picked a date you heard they were doing interviews and showed up anyway.

Did you get an invite? It would be awesome if you didn't get an invite and just picked a date you heard they were doing interviews and showed up anyway.

Haha, yes I did get a fast track invite. Although... you do give me an idea for some TX schools if I don't get an invite. I'm coming whether they like it or not, LOL.

Haha, yes I did get a fast track invite. Although... you do give me an idea for some TX schools if I don't get an invite. I'm coming whether they like it or not, LOL.

haha. i got a SOMA invite and was waiting for a KCOM one. If you haven't gotten an invite to either, the SOMA login is very generic. So I tried changing the "SOMA" in the website to "KCOM" and using the same login info and it ended up working. I thought about scheduling an interview anyway, but decided that it was high enough on my list to not risk the rejection.

been complete since a week. no invite :(

haha. i got a SOMA invite and was waiting for a KCOM one. If you haven't gotten an invite to either, the SOMA login is very generic. So I tried changing the "SOMA" in the website to "KCOM" and using the same login info and it ended up working. I thought about scheduling an interview anyway, but decided that it was high enough on my list to not risk the rejection.

Haha ya. Maybe if someone already has an acceptance to their top school, they could be willing to try this. Or not. :p

been complete since a week. no invite :(

lol..... you know this is almost a year long process? Relax, last year I was complete at a school for 7 MONTHS before I was interviewed, so 7 days would be a miracle for a turnaround at any school!

lol..... you know this is almost a year long process? Relax, last year I was complete at a school for 7 MONTHS before I was interviewed, so 7 days would be a miracle for a turnaround at any school!
haha its times like these I wish I had a time machine or like a hyperbolic sleep chamber and can wake up June next yr with an acceptance and a month or 2 before the start of med school!

Fast track Interview Invite!!! My first DO invite, my AACOMAS was verified on
Tuesday:soexcited:

haha its times like these I wish I had a time machine or like a hyperbolic sleep chamber and can wake up June next yr with an acceptance and a month or 2 before the start of med school!

That's silly, how could you possibly become jaded by this process if you did that? It's a rite of passage I think. :rolleyes:

Fast track Interview Invite!!! My first DO invite, my AACOMAS was verified on
Tuesday:soexcited:

Congrats! When's your interview?

Are there any other 9/28 interviewers out there? I'm flying in town on 9/27 and should be at the hotel around 5-6pm, so if you want to meet up afterwards let me know! I'll be staying at the Hampton.

Fastrack interview offer received today. AACOMAS verified Thursday (8/18) but not batched processed until this Tuesday (8/23) as is AACOMAS' SOP.

For those who are interested in the exact nature of Fastrack interviews:

"Because of your competitive qualifications, we encourage you to schedule your interview day at DMU even before all of the supporting documents arrive to complete your file! But plan to complete your file prior to your interview date."
"fasTrack Requirements: Your supplemental application and letters of recommendation are due in our office prior to your scheduled interview date."

Stats: 33 MCAT + 3.6 cum + 3.9 sci + advanced degree

Interview date: 9/15

DMU seems to be an excellent school and it'll be my first interview so I'm pretty excited. Despite what many may assume, Des Moines is ranked as one of the nicest cities in the US.

If anyone is interviewing on 9/15 please let me know, I know a great place to get some German food and a beer (or two, but not three ) and will have my car.

Last edited:
Fastrack interview offer received today. AACOMAS verified Thursday (8/18) but not batched processed until this Tuesday (8/23) as is AACOMAS' SOP.

For those who are interested in the exact nature of Fastrack interviews:

"Because of your competitive qualifications, we encourage you to schedule your interview day at DMU even before all of the supporting documents arrive to complete your file! But plan to complete your file prior to your interview date."
"fasTrack Requirements: Your supplemental application and letters of recommendation are due in our office prior to your scheduled interview date."

Stats: 33 MCAT + 3.6 cum + 3.9 sci + advanced degree

Interview date: 9/15

DMU seems to be an excellent school and it'll be my first interview so I'm pretty excited. Despite what many may assume, Des Moines is ranked as one of the nicest cities in the US.

If anyone is interviewing on 9/15 please let me know, I know a great place to get some German food and a beer (or two, but not three ) and will have my car.

I am interviewing on the 15th as well :) I will also have my car...German food sounds really good!

Congrats! When's your interview?

Are there any other 9/28 interviewers out there? I'm flying in town on 9/27 and should be at the hotel around 5-6pm, so if you want to meet up afterwards let me know! I'll be staying at the Hampton.

Thanks! My interview is on 9/15.

I would appreciate if anyone can give me some information about the interview format, environment, stress level, etc. Also, what is the average acceptance rate post interview? Thanks

Good luck everyone :luck:

i wish i could go to sleep tonight and wake up on september 11th. granted, I would be fired from my 2 jobs for no call/no show, and my suit wouldn't be ready (hell yes i bought a new suit for this interview), but i am so pumped. I want everything to go perfectly.

Thanks! My interview is on 9/15.

I would appreciate if anyone can give me some information about the interview format, environment, stress level, etc. Also, what is the average acceptance rate post interview? Thanks

Good luck everyone :luck:
The interview is pretty low stress. First you wait around in the admissions office, have some juice or breakfast snacks, and have your picture taken.

Then you move on to a small room for some informational meetings with financial aid, Dr. Mueller (biochem prof), and some others I don't remember. All the applicants give a short intro of themselves. It's pretty laid back.

Then some tours of the sim lab, library, anatomy, etc, followed by lunch with students.

Then the interview :eek:. Just kidding - it was also pretty laid back. Normal interview questions with 2 profs and a 2nd yr - although I suppose the mix could change. One of my interviewers is now my advisor and he even remembered me.

It's hard to predict chances of admission It seemed last year there were quite a lot of waitlists (and even rejections) early on. This seems different than a lot of schools that hand out a lot of acceptances earlier in the cycle. I had my interview scheduled about 3 wks into the interview cycle so I had already seen people post about their waitlists - the whole time I was in the morning meetings I was thinking "waitlist - they are so going to waitlist me", but they didn't. :)

So the age-old advise of just relax and be yourself is the best. Everyone there is going to try to make you feel comfortable - from the students to the faculty - so just make the best of it and enjoy the day as much as possible.

Good luck!!!

Thanks for the info. I'm pumped for my interview on September 2nd! I've already booked my hotel room and now it's just a few days away.

The interview is pretty low stress. First you wait around in the admissions office, have some juice or breakfast snacks, and have your picture taken.

Then you move on to a small room for some informational meetings with financial aid, Dr. Mueller (biochem prof), and some others I don't remember. All the applicants give a short intro of themselves. It's pretty laid back.

Then some tours of the sim lab, library, anatomy, etc, followed by lunch with students.

Then the interview :eek:. Just kidding - it was also pretty laid back. Normal interview questions with 2 profs and a 2nd yr - although I suppose the mix could change. One of my interviewers is now my advisor and he even remembered me.

It's hard to predict chances of admission It seemed last year there were quite a lot of waitlists (and even rejections) early on. This seems different than a lot of schools that hand out a lot of acceptances earlier in the cycle. I had my interview scheduled about 3 wks into the interview cycle so I had already seen people post about their waitlists - the whole time I was in the morning meetings I was thinking "waitlist - they are so going to waitlist me", but they didn't. :)

So the age-old advise of just relax and be yourself is the best. Everyone there is going to try to make you feel comfortable - from the students to the faculty - so just make the best of it and enjoy the day as much as possible.

Good luck!!!

Thanks! I am getting more and more excited about this school and since it's my first interview, I hope I do well :xf:

Could someone tell me how much the deposit to hold a seat in the class is for DMU?

Could someone tell me how much the deposit to hold a seat in the class is for DMU?

Last year, I had to put down $500 once I was accepted and then I believe it was another $500 in the beginning of May.

Last year, I had to put down $500 once I was accepted and then I believe it was another $500 in the beginning of May.

Do you know if the deposit is refundable if you decide to attend a different school? And is this the case with most medical schools? Thanks

I'm pretty sure most deposits are non-refundable. I think the first deposit is due by December or so, but I may be wrong.

I couldn't say for certain, but I think most schools have a nonrefundable deposit. That's a lot of people's complaints about DO schools. They don't have a set day to hear back so you end up potentially losing thousands depending on your situation.

I couldn't say for certain, but I think most schools have a nonrefundable deposit. That's a lot of people's complaints about DO schools. They don't have a set day to hear back so you end up potentially losing thousands depending on your situation.

Wow, that sucks (not that I have been accepted or anything :xf:). Are deposits non-refundable for MD schools too??

I think so, but the difference is you have until may 15th or so to make a deciision. So you could get 7 acceptances in sep and think about them for months.

I think so, but the difference is you have until may 15th or so to make a deciision. So you could get 7 acceptances in sep and think about them for months.

Darn that sucks! I knew so many people who were waitlisted at TX schools and ended up getting in around June. Those lucky *******, just kidding. :laugh:

Does anyone know why DO schools do this? You think it has to do with them wanting to "capture" as many students possible so they don't get accepted off a waitlist for an MD school and decide to go there instead? I feel like that may have a small part to do with it. I guess it's good strategy, lol.

I guess the ultimate goal is to get as many interviews and acceptances by December, lay out the options in front of you, and pick from there.