Drexel IMS 2014-2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just got accepted to IMS Sacramento program. I'm choosing between this and Rutgers GSBS. Anyone know about the housing/safety of Sacramento?
I was in your shoes about a year ago (except it was UMDNJ, of course). Had already sent in a deposit for the GSBS, too. Jumped on Drexel when accepted:
(1) Weather / California!
(2) Mostly medical school classes with comparison to Drexel medical students (I think GSBS lets you take maybe one? If they think you'll not drown?)
(3) Sure it's not a 1-year master, but the option for a 2nd year allows you to continue to enhance your academic profile.

And the Midtown area is great. In terms of positives:
(1) Very close to campus (~10-15 minutes on both bike and car from where I'm at)
(2) Everything you might need (groceries, eatouts, hair cut, dentists, etc.)

Neutrals:
(1) Rent is around 500-1000, depending on what you want. Check out padmapper.com (I put this under neutral cause this can be expensive or cheap depending on where you're coming from)
(2) Fair amount of homeless. I don't mind... I just leave my bottles/cans by the dumpster and they pick em up for recycling in a few hours, max.

Negatives:
(1) A few weeks ago, there was one female victim of murder about 3 blocks from where I live. However, the murderer was romantically involved with her; it was not some random shooting. Most people will attest that midtown is mostly professionals aged 25-35, and violent crimes in this area are *extremely* rare.
(2) Now for the crime that's pretty common in midtown: bicycle theft. It's unfortunate because bike is the best way to get around, IMO. If you want to bike, get yourself a solid U lock and some locking skewers or a cable for your wheels (and seat, if really paranoid). For a U-lock, I spared no expense and got Kryptonite's New York Fahgettaboudit. I got Pinhead locking skewer and haven't had a problem with them since, though I don't think they're necessarily the top-of-the-line security for your wheels (or seat).

I mean, when I put in my deposit in and signed up for UMDNJ's crime alert texts, I was getting automatically texted about a shooting, car break in, and rape every week. For safety, Sacramento >>> Newark.

Members don't see this ad.

Here's an event with 3 speakers: 2 physicians, the director of the California Health and Human Services Agency and the Senior Medical Director of Sutter Independent Physicians; as well as the CEO of the Sacramento Native American Health Center.

Sure, it's public health based, but there was maybe 30 attendees at most. And most were MPH students/alumni... Another awesome example of potential networking events. And did I mention I'm like the only one noshing on the free food?

I seriously hope I can apply even though it's way past the deadline. It's a pain getting all my LoR in! You should get $$$ or something for all the promotion you're doing. Hehe.

Any of you find it weird we haven't received info about orientation yet? I've looked online and there are two dates for Sac...One online and one at the campus. Really not sure which I'm supposed to attend and if there will be a dress code.

Members don't see this ad :)
Any of you find it weird we haven't received info about orientation yet? I've looked online and there are two dates for Sac...One online and one at the campus. Really not sure which I'm supposed to attend and if there will be a dress code.
Both. The online one is for Drexel ims in general (classes, grading, fin aid, etc.), and in person is to orient you to sac/campus/staff.

You're not seen online. In person I'm not sure but I doubt it (I was excused from the inperson one due to circumstances so I didn't attend). You will be first impression-ing everyone tho so look like you want to be treated?

I was in your shoes about a year ago (except it was UMDNJ, of course). Had already sent in a deposit for the GSBS, too. Jumped on Drexel when accepted:
(1) Weather / California!
(2) Mostly medical school classes with comparison to Drexel medical students (I think GSBS lets you take maybe one? If they think you'll not drown?)
(3) Sure it's not a 1-year master, but the option for a 2nd year allows you to continue to enhance your academic profile.

And the Midtown area is great. In terms of positives:
(1) Very close to campus (~10-15 minutes on both bike and car from where I'm at)
(2) Everything you might need (groceries, eatouts, hair cut, dentists, etc.)

Neutrals:
(1) Rent is around 500-1000, depending on what you want. Check out padmapper.com (I put this under neutral cause this can be expensive or cheap depending on where you're coming from)
(2) Fair amount of homeless. I don't mind... I just leave my bottles/cans by the dumpster and they pick em up for recycling in a few hours, max.

Negatives:
(1) A few weeks ago, there was one female victim of murder about 3 blocks from where I live. However, the murderer was romantically involved with her; it was not some random shooting. Most people will attest that midtown is mostly professionals aged 25-35, and violent crimes in this area are *extremely* rare.
(2) Now for the crime that's pretty common in midtown: bicycle theft. It's unfortunate because bike is the best way to get around, IMO. If you want to bike, get yourself a solid U lock and some locking skewers or a cable for your wheels (and seat, if really paranoid). For a U-lock, I spared no expense and got Kryptonite's New York Fahgettaboudit. I got Pinhead locking skewer and haven't had a problem with them since, though I don't think they're necessarily the top-of-the-line security for your wheels (or seat).

I mean, when I put in my deposit in and signed up for UMDNJ's crime alert texts, I was getting automatically texted about a shooting, car break in, and rape every week. For safety, Sacramento >>> Newark.

Thank you so much for writing all that! I'm pretty sure I'm committing to Drexel and your reply helped confirm the decision!

Does Drexel actually facilitate a roommate list or is it something they have but never get around to posting up in the housing section? Otherwise, if anyone is looking for a roommate in Sacramento, let me know!

Thank you so much for writing all that! I'm pretty sure I'm committing to Drexel and your reply helped confirm the decision!

Does Drexel actually facilitate a roommate list or is it something they have but never get around to posting up in the housing section? Otherwise, if anyone is looking for a roommate in Sacramento, let me know!
i pm'd u. As for the roommate list, I never heard of such a thing. The only list I used was craig's.

From what I recall, there was a short, somewhat informal roommate list that was sent out at some point

Hello Everyone! I got into the IMS-Sacramento program. I submitted my application late so I found out I got accepted a couple of days ago. I am currently waiting to get my account activated so I do not have access to the student accounts as of yet so I just had a few questions general questions.
Has anyone gotten their financial aid and do we have to make registration payments before the classes start?

I am also looking for housing so I was wondering if anyone could tell me the best way to go about it or if anyone is looking a roommate. Ideally I'd want to be close the school and in a nice affordable (around 500/month?) location.

Lastly, looks like I may miss first two days of classes and reach Sacramento by the third days of classes. Is this bad or will I be able to catch up?

Also, those who are also starting Sac IMS this August: Hello future classmates!!

Anyone still looking for housing? I'm looking for a roommate (possible in Stiles) or somewhere else pretty close. PM me
Just accepted yesterday..... Need housing ASAP if anyone needs a roomate

Hi,

I'm also planning on entering the program this fall and was also looking for a roommate. I'm a female (don't necessarily about single-gender rooming) and looking for something around the $800-$900 price range. Reply if you're interested!
Have you found a roommate? Accepted yesterday, need housing

Er...did anyone get any details about the online orientation? I got an email that its at nine but no info how to access it.

Is there a recommended dress code for the Philly orientation this week. Business casual?

Both. The online one is for Drexel ims in general (classes, grading, fin aid, etc.), and in person is to orient you to sac/campus/staff.

You're not seen online. In person I'm not sure but I doubt it (I was excused from the inperson one due to circumstances so I didn't attend). You will be first impression-ing everyone tho so look like you want to be treated?

I think this is a good way to approach the orientation.

is drexel sacramento completely online or do I have to move to sac?

It's physically in Sacramento. You'll need to move there.