Edward Via - Carolina Campus (VCOM-CC) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have read and heard a lot of really good things, so I'm right there with you. Hopefully, the interview goes in my favor. But you never know...Good luck on getting yours!
Thank you! I will keep my fingers crossed for you as well. I hope you have someone to practice interview skills with.:smuggrin: That's something I will need plenty of help with!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
So I have been reading up some more about the process at VCOM. Is it safe to assume that a quick turn around time between primary and secondary is an indicator for VCOM's interest in a candidate? I've seen that some people waited for months after the primary while others received a secondary within two days. What factors are considered after secondary submission? Is the essay the deciding factor? Also, has anyone been rejected POST secondary due to low GPA or MCAT? It would make sense to reject someone due to low stats right away to save some money but who knows...sorry about all these questions but I'm still trying to understand this process as this is my first time doing all this and I feel a little overwhelmed :depressed:

I also recommend looking at the student yearbook/handbook on the website for information about the school. I found it extremely helpful.

Members don't see this ad :)
I also recommend looking at the student yearbook/handbook on the website for information about the school. I found it extremely helpful.
Yeah, me too! I'm almost through with the whole thing. :) So far, I really LOVE this school!

Hey y'all, I was accepted back in October and I had a slow turn around in terms of primary to secondary but a week after being complete I got an II. If you get an II, as long as you don't surprise them (in a bad way) on interview day then you're in (from what I've heard)! Also, I had a low MCAT but very high GPA and tons of EC's and over 6,000 hrs of volunteering, research, DO shadowing, great LOR's, etc so that absolutely helps. If you have any questions, PM me. Good luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Hey y'all, I was accepted back in October and I had a slow turn around in terms of primary to secondary but a week after being complete I got an II. If you get an II, as long as you don't surprise them (in a bad way) on interview day then you're in! Also, I had a low MCAT but very high GPA and tons of EC's and over 6,000 hrs of volunteering, research, DO shadowing, great LOR's, etc so that absolutely helps. If you have any questions, PM me. Good luck!
Thank you @doctorinthehouse_ that was very helpful! Do you know if they reject people post secondary due to low MCAT or low GPA? To me, it would only make sense to invite people who meet the minimum requirements to submit a secondary and reject those who don't right away! I've just seen that some schools do that :/ You would think that if you don't screw up the secondary you'd be invited to an interview.....but I guess we'll never know LOL Congratulations on your acceptance!! You must be counting down the days until summer :)

Thank you @doctorinthehouse_ that was very helpful! Do you know if they reject people post secondary due to low MCAT or low GPA? To me, it would only make sense to invite people who meet the minimum requirements to submit a secondary and reject those who don't right away! I've just seen that some schools do that :/ You would think that if you don't screw up the secondary you'd be invited to an interview.....but I guess we'll never know LOL Congratulations on your acceptance!! You must be counting down the days until summer :)
I totally am! Thank you! I read in one of the VCOM handbook/docs (idk where exactly) during my preliminary app process and remember seeing that they invite about 700 ppl (per campus) to complete a secondary app and then from that about 300. Don't quote me but the ratio is about that. There are only 160 spots in the class so they do reject post secondary and post interview. Do your absolute best on everything and be hopeful you are what they are looking for. Hope this helps!

Reactions: 1 users
I totally am! Thank you! I read in one of the VCOM handbook/docs (idk where exactly) during my preliminary app process and remember seeing that they invite about 700 ppl (per campus) to complete a secondary app and then from that about 300. Don't quote me but the ratio is about that. There are only 160 spots in the class so they do reject post secondary and post interview. Do your absolute best on everything and be hopeful you are what they are looking for. Hope this helps!
Oh okay, great! Finally some numbers :) That doesn't sound too bad. I'm glad they screen so heavily. Thank you!!

Yeah I'm pretty sure that is what I was told at my interview as well.... They don't interview many people and about half of those interviewed get accepted. So about 300 interviews and about 160 acceptances.

Yeah I'm pretty sure that is what I was told at my interview as well.... They don't interview many people and about half of those interviewed get accepted. So about 300 interviews and about 160 acceptances.
Thank you! I'm so glad this forum exists. :)

So I don't really post here (I think maybe once before?), but I really needed somewhere to let out my anxiety. I interviewed on Monday and they said they would notify us by the end of the week. There were only 4 of us interviewing (supposed to be 5 but someone was a no-show). My stats aren't great but I have over 5000 hours volunteer experience on an ambulance and over 5000 hours paid experience on an ambulance (both as a basic and Paramedic). I also have your other generic ECs like research assistant (nothing elaborate or published), domestic mission trips, leadership experiences/honor societies, etc. I'm also a URM and grew up in a rural area as well as work in a rural area and in the interview I made it clear that I intend to stay in a rural area like various parts of the Carolinas and to work in primary care. I'm an SC resident. Unfortunately my MCAT was a 22. My sGPA is around 3.5 and my cGPA is 3.7. I'm not even sure how I ended up with an interview, to be honest, considering my MCAT was so low. Anyways, I'm posting here hoping to let out my anxieties, even if it means I don't get accepted. I didn't sleep last night (and that's not even because of my job, that's just nerves) but it's really unusual for me to be this anxious about anything -- I'm usually very laid back!! I need to do SOMETHING to let out these feelings and I know SDN is a brutally honest place. I'm tired of hearing my co-workers and family saying the generic "Oh you're smart and a hard worker, you have nothing to worry about!" Because frankly, they don't really "get it." There's a much higher chance I won't be accepted versus being accepted and I guess I'm coming here for that level of honesty. Regardless of what happens, congratulations to all of you accepted and best of luck to those of use who remain. This is my top choice school!

So I don't really post here (I think maybe once before?), but I really needed somewhere to let out my anxiety. I interviewed on Monday and they said they would notify us by the end of the week. There were only 4 of us interviewing (supposed to be 5 but someone was a no-show). My stats aren't great but I have over 5000 hours volunteer experience on an ambulance and over 5000 hours paid experience on an ambulance (both as a basic and Paramedic). I also have your other generic ECs like research assistant (nothing elaborate or published), domestic mission trips, leadership experiences/honor societies, etc. I'm also a URM and grew up in a rural area as well as work in a rural area and in the interview I made it clear that I intend to stay in a rural area like various parts of the Carolinas and to work in primary care. I'm an SC resident. Unfortunately my MCAT was a 22. My sGPA is around 3.5 and my cGPA is 3.7. I'm not even sure how I ended up with an interview, to be honest, considering my MCAT was so low. Anyways, I'm posting here hoping to let out my anxieties, even if it means I don't get accepted. I didn't sleep last night (and that's not even because of my job, that's just nerves) but it's really unusual for me to be this anxious about anything -- I'm usually very laid back!! I need to do SOMETHING to let out these feelings and I know SDN is a brutally honest place. I'm tired of hearing my co-workers and family saying the generic "Oh you're smart and a hard worker, you have nothing to worry about!" Because frankly, they don't really "get it." There's a much higher chance I won't be accepted versus being accepted and I guess I'm coming here for that level of honesty. Regardless of what happens, congratulations to all of you accepted and best of luck to those of use who remain. This is my top choice school!

You got the interview and I'm sure did well. There's no reason to feel anything but confident at this point. Haha it's hard to take any stock in what *non-applicant* family/friends say - I feel ya. Even if you don't get accepted this round then an MCAT re-take would put you in good position for the future!

You got the interview and I'm sure did well. There's no reason to feel anything but confident at this point. Haha it's hard to take any stock in what *non-applicant* family/friends say - I feel ya. Even if you don't get accepted this round then an MCAT re-take would put you in good position for the future!

Thank you for this! Maybe I can go take a nap now...I'm at work so the last thing I need is to be sleep deprived and trying to drive an ambulance :dead::sleep:

Members don't see this ad :)
Man I feel for you. I know how anxious I was. Let's put it this way, your gpa is fine, but the mcat is not even in the ballpark range. If you will retake you will definitely get in somewhere if you do not this time. I tried for two years getting into a dental school, with stellar stats and got denied twice. One cycle I decided to apply to medical school with good stats and got in. Honestly I think you will end up where you are meant to be. If you do not get in just regroup, get a job or purse a masters/SMP, retake the mcat and kill it, then apply again. Best of luck. Stay calm, life is too short to worry

Man I feel for you. I know how anxious I was. Let's put it this way, your gpa is fine, but the mcat is not even in the ballpark range. If you will retake you will definitely get in somewhere if you do not this time. I tried for two years getting into a dental school, with stellar stats and got denied twice. One cycle I decided to apply to medical school with good stats and got in. Honestly I think you will end up where you are meant to be. If you do not get in just regroup, get a job or purse a masters/SMP, retake the mcat and kill it, then apply again. Best of luck. Stay calm, life is too short to worry

I'm definitely already studying for the MCAT again. I know I can do it -- I was just working way too many hours when I took it and it really shows. It would just be nice to save the money and anxiety/hair pulling of having to take it again. I would rather save that hair and pull it while studying for the COMLEX! :p

Hey man, I wouldn't start worrying just yet. I'm no expert, but they said they'd notify you by the end of the week. I know 5 days can kill your nerves, but it is just now Wednesday. Wait until Friday to start sweating (try anyway, they say the worst part of this whole process is the waiting).

Just got rejected pre-II. They sent me an email however there is one line that confused me.. "However, we encouraged to resubmit your application for the next admissions cycle." Are they encouraging me to reapply again? Or are they telling me that my application has moved from the 2015-2016 application pile to the 2016-2017 pile?

Just got rejected pre-II. They sent me an email however there is one line that confused me.. "However, we encouraged to resubmit your application for the next admissions cycle." Are they encouraging me to reapply again? Or are they telling me that my application has moved from the 2015-2016 application pile to the 2016-2017 pile?
When were u complete ? In state ? Stats ? Sorry to hear that I feel like it's coming my way too

Wow that statement is super confusing. I assume they are saying reapply again in my opinion. Otherwise they would have probably gave you more information in the email?

When were u complete ? In state ? Stats ? Sorry to hear that I feel like it's coming my way too

Wow that statement is super confusing. I assume they are saying reapply again in my opinion. Otherwise they would have probably gave you more information in the email?

Complete around october. FL resident. Stats - lower GPA and MCAT but amazing ECs and LORs

And yea @soccermac42 I'm thinking the same thing. I emailed them though just to get further clarification. Applying for their post-Bacc so at least on the bright side my application for that will start to get processed lol!

Sorry that you got rejected.
I think it's just a generic response geared toward all rejected applicants. Many schools do this. It just means you can apply again next year if you improve your application. etc.. retook the MCAT, or improved your GPA.

I meant to comment in sooner but I wanted to give you a thoughtful response. I have a low MCAT as well but a much higher GPA, and I was excepted to VCOM in early October (the first batch of interviewees). I had stellar LORs and about 8000 hrs of clinical experience, undergrad research, etc etc. The school makes it a point to select people that fit the mission and they want quality versus quantity (numbers). However, you must be smart to be accepted into medical school and you must display the ability to handle the course-load, time commitment, and determination to succeed in both classes and board examinations. That said, they want people who are more than just a number as well. The MCAT is an indicator as to how well you grasp information from undergrad but it does not mean you will be a good doctor or a bad doctor. I know MANY medical students that did very poorly on the MCAT but performed top of their class and in the 90th percentile of their boards. I'm not making this up, I have several friends at Nova (OMS-III) and a resident I round with who attended VCOM himself. I'm not trying to start an MCAT argument I'm just speaking based on my own experience and opinion. The fact that you got an interview, means your scores were good enough for VCOM. I would not lose sleep over this as long as you presented yourself well and did well on the interview day and really proved who you are and what you have to offer. VCOM was my first choice, and I was accepted elsewhere so I did something right and it wasn't about my performance on ONE test. Smile, keep your head up, and be honored to have had an interview. P.m. me if you have any questions, I'm happy to help!

Last edited:
CONGRATULATIONS!!!! Do you mind sharing your stats? :D

496 MCAT and 3.7. I have a few acceptances and now need to make decisions. I did highly enjoy the factuly at VCOM. Best professors I have meet.

496 MCAT and 3.7. I have a few acceptances and now need to make decisions. I did highly enjoy the factuly at VCOM. Best professors I have meet.
Yeah, I've read that a lot around here! That's amazig, I wish I had your problems haha Good luck with whatever decision you make :)

Miracles do happen, guys!!! I've been accepted!!!! :D I'm so elated!

Reactions: 5 users
NEWLY ACCEPTED PEEPS: Join the accepted students Facebook! PM me for the link. HUGE CONGRATS ALL OF YOU!

I keep seeing people mention having "great LORs," have you guys read yours?!? How do you know their contents?

I keep seeing people mention having "great LORs," have you guys read yours?!? How do you know their contents?

Haha I didn't know mine till the interview. I'll tell this story because I am accepted, I have learned to just laugh at myself, and it's too funny not too. With my name it could go either way boy or a girl. This department chair at ECU school of medicine wrote me a LOR because he gave me a scholarship once at another school that his family funded. He told me to ask him to write a LOR when I applied, so I did. When I get to my interview the interviewer looked at me and said you are a guy, I said yes I am. He was then like one of your LOR says her in it multiple times. I was like what the heck, the professor must have just messed up. Luckily I had a picture of him giving me the scholarship, and was like I'll call him, he knows me and my stats, but the interviewer just started laughing and loved me in the end. All in all it was super nerve wrecking and scared me to death, but in the end I got an acceptance call the next day. Word of advice always know your LOR people very well.

I received my II on January 7th for next Wednesday. When I spoke with them on the phone, they said they are still actively reviewing and interviewing.
When were you complete? I was complete since 11/12 and haven't heard back anything yet.

Haha I didn't know mine till the interview. I'll tell this story because I am accepted, I have learned to just laugh at myself, and it's too funny not too. With my name it could go either way boy or a girl. This department chair at ECU school of medicine wrote me a LOR because he gave me a scholarship once at another school that his family funded. He told me to ask him to write a LOR when I applied, so I did. When I get to my interview the interviewer looked at me and said you are a guy, I said yes I am. He was then like one of your LOR says her in it multiple times. I was like what the heck, the professor must have just messed up. Luckily I had a picture of him giving me the scholarship, and was like I'll call him, he knows me and my stats, but the interviewer just started laughing and loved me in the end. All in all it was super nerve wrecking and scared me to death, but in the end I got an acceptance call the next day. Word of advice always know your LOR people very well.

The next day! Man, I hope I'm so lucky!

Theyre confidential so you don't know. But an LOR from a professor you barely knew and just squeezed you an LOR among the sea of LORs he/she wrote that semester vs an LOR from a physician you've shadowed for over 100 hrs is the major difference between good and bad. Make sure you choose people that know you well and can craft a letter that conveys your character in the best possible way.

Well, just finished my interview day. I'm more into this school than I was, if that's even possible. I suppose I'll know before the end of next week. Fingers extra crossed...

Well, just finished my interview day. I'm more into this school than I was, if that's even possible. I suppose I'll know before the end of next week. Fingers extra crossed...
I'm glad it went well!! This is probably going to be the longest wait ever :) How did it go? Was it as conversational as everyone says?

Vey conversational. They do a really impressive job of making you feel at home and reducing your interview anxiety. The school and faculty seem amazing. It most certainly will be a long wait.

Complete email today. Does that mean I'm complete for all 3 schools?

Complete email today. Does that mean I'm complete for all 3 schools?
It should. If interviewed they will call you and set up an interview at the school they think fits you best.

Hey everyone! Just wondering if someone wouldn't mind giving some input on a few things. Firstly, I submitted my primary to this school earlier in the month and received the secondary application just a few days later. Unfortunately, I am just submitting it today because it took me awhile to get a DO letter and it asks for that information. I have been told it's really important to have it in within two weeks otherwise it looks like you're not interested, which would have been this past Tuesday. Is it a big enough deal that I should mention why it took me longer to submit it? I'm definitely interested!

Also, does anyone happen to know how full the class is at this point? If they receive all my materials by the end of the month, does that mean any potential interview would most likely be for the waitlist? Just wondering what to expect.

Thanks in advance for any replies and good luck to everyone!

Hey everyone! Just wondering if someone wouldn't mind giving some input on a few things. Firstly, I submitted my primary to this school earlier in the month and received the secondary application just a few days later. Unfortunately, I am just submitting it today because it took me awhile to get a DO letter and it asks for that information. I have been told it's really important to have it in within two weeks otherwise it looks like you're not interested, which would have been this past Tuesday. Is it a big enough deal that I should mention why it took me longer to submit it? I'm definitely interested!

Also, does anyone happen to know how full the class is at this point? If they receive all my materials by the end of the month, does that mean any potential interview would most likely be for the waitlist? Just wondering what to expect.

Thanks in advance for any replies and good luck to everyone!

I can tell you what happened to me and maybe that will help. I submitted my primary around October and got my secondary shortly after that. I didn't submit my secondary until January. I rely on Veteran's benefits to pay for my schooling, and they couldn't understand why a med school would require two applications, so it took a while to get the funds. However, as soon as I sent it, I contacted admissions to let them know why I struggled to get it in. I can't say that it is beneficial to contact admissions for your problem, so do so at your own risk, but it may have helped me. Honestly, I didn't ask so I have no way of knowing if it helped. They are VERY friendly there, I interviewed recently and it is a very family/team atmosphere.

As for your D.O. letter, it is unfortunate that you waited to submit your secondary until after you received that, because they don't require that to submit your secondary, they only require it to keep your acceptance should you be accepted. During my interview day, they mentioned that they realize that in some places it may be difficult to get that letter, and they are more than willing to help people where they can in that regard. As for how full the class is, they mentioned they still have some seats available, but they are also interviewing for waitlist spots as well. I wouldn't be too concerned just yet, because they do interview into April and if you read the previous year threads for VCOM, people were getting accepted in February and even early March.

I hope that helped. Good Luck!

I can tell you what happened to me and maybe that will help. I submitted my primary around October and got my secondary shortly after that. I didn't submit my secondary until January. I rely on Veteran's benefits to pay for my schooling, and they couldn't understand why a med school would require two applications, so it took a while to get the funds. However, as soon as I sent it, I contacted admissions to let them know why I struggled to get it in. I can't say that it is beneficial to contact admissions for your problem, so do so at your own risk, but it may have helped me. Honestly, I didn't ask so I have no way of knowing if it helped. They are VERY friendly there, I interviewed recently and it is a very family/team atmosphere.

As for your D.O. letter, it is unfortunate that you waited to submit your secondary until after you received that, because they don't require that to submit your secondary, they only require it to keep your acceptance should you be accepted. During my interview day, they mentioned that they realize that in some places it may be difficult to get that letter, and they are more than willing to help people where they can in that regard. As for how full the class is, they mentioned they still have some seats available, but they are also interviewing for waitlist spots as well. I wouldn't be too concerned just yet, because they do interview into April and if you read the previous year threads for VCOM, people were getting accepted in February and even early March.

I hope that helped. Good Luck!

I appreciate the helpful reply! I think I will take your advice on contacting them to explain, since it hopefully can't hurt. But I actually didn't realize I could submit the secondary without a letter since it asked for the contact information of a physician LOR writer, and I didn't have one yet (MD or DO). I'm really hoping it won't effect my application too much. Good luck, and thank you!

Any one interview yesterday hear back yet?

I interviewed last Wednesday and still waiting. Hoping that isn't a sign of anything.