Edward Via - Carolinas (VCOM-CC) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
True but Alabama has a lot more medical schools and ACOM is brand new. Don't you think all of this will place huge competition for the rotations in the state? I could most definitely be wrong but it was one of the things I considered when I applied. Don't get me wrong, I love Alabama but I didn't want to risk it. I've also heard that if you get accepted to one of the VCOMs you can call the main campus and if you have a good reason can change where you matriculate in to.

Yea, I'm not sure how the rotations work because I'm getting different answers from everyone regarding VCOM-A competing with ACOM... But it seems that the Auburn campus does get the extra applicants from Virginia and SC. In my friend's interviewing class, everyone had SC and Virginia as their top choice.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm from Oklahoma, had an II after about 2 weeks. I had to write a letter of interest though and tell them my ties to the Appalachian area though. You're one state away, I doubt you would need to do the same. Your turnaround will be based purely off of your stats.

Thanks for the information. I suppose if I do need to write a letter I can talk about my family being in SC there, but you're most likely right I am close enough for that not to be necessary. I got an e-mail today (literally like 12 hours after I submitted my secondary) from Amy saying they needed my LORs to "move the process along." Is this an automatic message? I sent them a few minutes ago.

Thanks for the information. I suppose if I do need to write a letter I can talk about my family being in SC there, but you're most likely right I am close enough for that not to be necessary. I got an e-mail today (literally like 12 hours after I submitted my secondary) from Amy saying they needed my LORs to "move the process along." Is this an automatic message? I sent them a few minutes ago.
Yeah, I got the same thing.

Members don't see this ad :)

Last edited:

I received the same message from both Amy and Meghan and have yet to hear anything. However I'm from New England so that could have something to do with that...lol.

Any current VCOM students out there? I have a question for you

My question is about the curriculum. I know the first 2 years are broken up into blocks, I was wondering how current students prepared for the COMLEX exam. My concern is that as I progress through the blocks I will become less familiar with the content covered in the earlier blocks. Is there a connection to previously covered blocks that I am not seeing? Or is it just the responsibility of the student to review before block 8?

Got my II today! Finished my secondary on Monday, completed email was this morning. Interview dates were November 24, December 1 & 3. Took the December 3 if anyone wants to share a hotel room. :soexcited:

Reactions: 1 users
Got my II today! Finished my secondary on Monday, completed email was this morning. Interview dates were November 24, December 1 & 3. Took the December 3 if anyone wants to share a hotel room. :soexcited:

Hi, what was the phone number that called you? Or at least the area code? I recieved a phone call this morning but didn't answer it (I never usually answer if I don't know the #) but they didn't leave a message! Also do you mind sharing your stats? :) CONGRATS BY THE WAY. I can't wait to hopefully get an interview invite.

Reactions: 1 user
quick turn around. congrats! you mind sharing some stats?

Wow that's super quick! I was told to send a letter of interest since I'm out of the region.

Wow that's super quick! I was told to send a letter of interest since I'm out of the region.
Were you on hold pre-interview and thats how you found out you needed a LOI? Or did you just call for a status update. I'm also OOS but was only complete a week ago but not sure if they ask this of a lot of OOSers.

Were you on hold pre-interview and thats how you found out you needed a LOI? Or did you just call for a status update. I'm also OOS but was only complete a week ago but not sure if they ask this of a lot of OOSers.

No I just received my LOR from the DO I was shadowing and updated admissions with his info and Megan told me that a letter in intent/interest could help if you're not from the region.

quick turn around. congrats! you mind sharing some stats?

Haha 7 hours may be a record! :) 3.6c, 3.7s, 28, OOS resident from FL w/out ties to the state. VCOM CC was my #1 out of the 3 schools.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, what was the phone number that called you? Or at least the area code? I recieved a phone call this morning but didn't answer it (I never usually answer if I don't know the #) but they didn't leave a message! Also do you mind sharing your stats? :) CONGRATS BY THE WAY. I can't wait to hopefully get an interview invite.

Area code (864) , they left a message when I got the missed call. I have strong clinical/research/teaching experience and am 1/2 an Asian minority.

Any current VCOM students out there? I have a question for you

My question is about the curriculum. I know the first 2 years are broken up into blocks. Is there a connection to previously covered blocks so that you don’t forget the material in the 1st blocks?

Hi, @Dreams2012 I'm not a current student (i hope to be a future one! :happy:), but from what I understand from the interview day and the open house they just had on the 8th, you get an entire block to study for your boards (really nice!). It is mostly the responsibility of the student to prepare, but they do offer misc. study aids. For example, they talked about how they provided the class with a bunch of video lectures from a professor who taught a board review course. So it was like they were taking a COMLEX review course, but they had control of when they studied, coming up with a review schedule, what other materials they used, etc.

Also, and you probably already know this, but the block scheduling is systems-based, so you are recalling basic principles you learn in block one (genetics, pathology, immunology, biochem, etc.) throughout the entire 7 blocks.

I asked at the open house how they studied for boards, and they each responded a little differently. So I do think it is more self-directed study. But I don't necessarily think that's a bad thing. They provide you with certain materials to succeed and it's your decision on how and when to use those. And it's your option to use other methods/materials. Everyone learns differently.

If you need a more structured study system, I'm sure there will be others in your class who need the same thing. So set up a "class time" where you all meet together and watch the videos together. That way you get accountability and structure. There are ways to make it work for you, and you have the entire block to devote to studying. They definitely want you to succeed.

This is my $0.02 worth, and you might already know all of this. Just wanted to share :)

Just gave up my interview spot on 12/1. Good luck to whomever gets it!!

Hello everyone,

I just got my interview!!
I really would like to know what to prepare for... Questions they ask? Anything tricky?
Also, how long does it take, and when is over? Is it a multiple people interview?
I need to choose flights so that would help a lot

@nessa PM me if you haven't had your questions answer yet. I interviewed here and can help ya out!

All I know is this from Megan: "The interview day begins at 9 a.m. and concludes around 2:15 p.m."

Good luck!

Interview on Dec 8th. Anyone?
How many people do they interview per day?

my interview at the auburn campus was 8 people for what it's worth.

We had seven people on Nov. 4th.

Everyone there is so nice and the day was really more fun than nerve-racking. There are 3, 30-min interviews: one with a biomed faculty member, one with a clinical faculty member, and one with an OMS II. The one with the OMS II was more scenario based. Ex. "If you were in __________ situation, how would you respond and why?"

The format for the other two was more of a conversation than anything else. They really go above and beyond to make sure you are comfortable. And I think that is because they want to see how you will interact on a normal day on their campus. They've already seen what you look like on paper and now they just want to see how you interact and present yourself in person. They want to see if you will fit in at their school.

If you already love the school and are leaning hard towards going there, this process will seal the deal for you. Trust me. You can read all day about how people say it's a family atmosphere and everyone is so nice, but you won't quite understand or appreciate the validity of those claims until you experience it for yourself.

Hope this helps set any nerves at ease and gets you excited for your interview day! Good luck!! :)

Switched VCOM-CC to my #1 choice (VCOM-VC #2 and Auburn #3). Application complete 11/13. Generally, how long does it take them to follow-up? Will they just keep me hanging until the cycle is over if I'm looked over or tell me they're not interested? Is it worth it to follow-up by phone call or e-mail?

For my interviewing group, everyone heard back within a week. A followup call wouldn't hurt. It's still pretty early in the cycle, so you shouldn't be worrying. A few interviews (and acceptances) will come your way sooner or later.

For my interviewing group, everyone heard back within a week. A followup call wouldn't hurt. It's still pretty early in the cycle, so you shouldn't be worrying. A few interviews (and acceptances) will come your way sooner or later.

Thanks for the support. I'm guessing no one is doing any work this week for thanksgiving?

Switched VCOM-CC to my #1 choice (VCOM-VC #2 and Auburn #3). Application complete 11/13. Generally, how long does it take them to follow-up? Will they just keep me hanging until the cycle is over if I'm looked over or tell me they're not interested? Is it worth it to follow-up by phone call or e-mail?

I've been complete since 10/31 and haven't heard a peep. Then again I'm not from the region, you will probably have better luck than I.

Thanks for the support. I'm guessing no one is doing any work this week for thanksgiving?
I'm interviewing there tomorrow so they maybe they will also be giving out II

I have an interview for 12/01! I'm so nervous but excited at the same time. Reading these forums really help me calm down!

I have an interview for 12/01! I'm so nervous but excited at the same time. Reading these forums really help me calm down!
I interviewed today; campus was really nice, interviews were really relaxed, and everyone was really nice. Gave us all a lot of information and everything flowed smoothly. Everyone in my interviewing group seemed to get along well too. The only concerns I have with the school is the cost and that this year is the first match. However, since they are a VCOM branch it should not be much of an issue.

I interviewed today; campus was really nice, interviews were really relaxed, and everyone was really nice. Gave us all a lot of information and everything flowed smoothly. Everyone in my interviewing group seemed to get along well too. The only concerns I have with the school is the cost and that this year is the first match. However, since they are a VCOM branch it should not be much of an issue.
I have to agree about the cost. Adding up load fess, it is pretty much over 200k of debt. Average medical student graduate with 130-150k.
But hey, I really think there is hope... Scholarships. Something.

ACCEPTED THIS AFTERNOOON!! Got the call from Ms. Tyler. "Underdawg" here. PM any questions! Would gladly help anyone with the process!

Reactions: 3 users
Accepted today! First acceptance so far, still hard to believe I am going to be a doctor! Such an amazing feeling!
I interviewed on November 4th with 6 others.
DM me with any questions you may have or just post them on here and ill reply.

Accepted today! First acceptance so far, still hard to believe I am going to be a doctor! Such an amazing feeling!
I interviewed on November 4th with 6 others.
DM me with any questions you may have or just post them on here and ill reply.

I also interviewed November 4th and was accepted!! Such a great program. Congrats @attaboy and @HealthStudies11!!

Anyone can message me, as well, if you have any questions. Good luck, y'all!

CURRENT medical students: I've been accepted to VCOM-Auburn and I have some questions only you can/will answer. Just need a few things answered before I send my deposit.

In your own words can you explain the mandatory attendance policy. How is it enforced? Is there assigned seating (as I have heard rumors of)? Does the 85% include only lectures or does it include small groups etc. (I already know about labs)? For the Class of 2015, what was your experience like being part of the inaugural class? What kind of student feedback do they take into legitimate consideration beyond the COCA feedback you get to give? What do you like most about the school? What aspects of the facility/curriculum/curricular delivery/faculty would you change? If given the opportunity and privilege of choice, would you choose to attend VCOM-CC again?

I want an intimate, no-holds barred opinion on the school (don't need to be PC or polite like in the threads). I'd prefer you PM me, plus you probably don't want to post in here.

I'm super pumped to meet ya'll too btw!

Submitted my secondary and letters yesterday and today respectively. We will see if I am too late.

I just withdrew my acceptance here. Good luck everyone!!

Can someone describe how rotations work at this school for 3rd and 4th year?
Just as far as the time spent at each, traveling aspects and testing.

Thanks guys

Can someone describe how rotations work at this school for 3rd and 4th year?
Just as far as the time spent at each, traveling aspects and testing.

Thanks guys
From what I understand, there is minimal traveling between rotations your 3rd year. You're pretty much at the same clinical site the entire time. (which is a good thing because you don't have to go through the hassle of getting acquainted with new surroundings/facilities every 4-or-so weeks.) It also allows you to build better relationships with your preceptors. I think the 4th year is more up to you. You do more surgical rotations during your 4th year and you have more options as to where you go. You can do what they called an "audition" rotation, which is where you can apply to do a rotation at pretty much anywhere in the country at which you are interested in doing a residency. This allows you to network and get to know people while you're there, to increase your chances for a match.

here's some links that might be helpful:

http://www.vcom.edu/clinical/3rdyr_clinical.html

http://www.vcom.edu/catalog/#78/z

http://www.vcom.edu/catalog/#84/z

Hope this helps! :)

Thank you @ajackson !

I was the person sitting closest to the TV monitor opposite of the windows on our interview day ;)

@attaboy i was sitting next to you. ;) Haha glad to know I'll be seeing ya around next year!

On a side note- did you shadow a DO in the CSRA area? I'm trying to find one to shadow to get my letter of rec in within the 30 day deadline after acceptance and I'm struggling to find one who will return a phone call or email.

Just accepted my offer to attend VCOM in the fall! I'm so excited to be going here next year. PM me if you have any questions. I'd love to meet other students who will be going here next year!

Reactions: 3 users