Edward Via - Virginia Campus (VCOM-VC) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I did receive a complete email.
I'll call them sometime this upcoming week. Grats on the acceptance! Are you IS?

Sounds good, and I'm OOS.

Members don't see this ad.

I set up a FB page for people accepted to the VCOM Carolinas Campus about a month ago. If there still isn't one set up for the VCOM Virginia Campus, then any one of you can set it up and PM accepted people the link. PM me if you have any questions on how to do this :)

There is one!

Can someone share the link for VCOM Class of 2020 FB Page! Thank you :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys, I'm worried about getting a grade below a B and having my acceptance rescinded. Has this ever happened to anyone?

Hi guys, I'm worried about getting a grade below a B and having my acceptance rescinded. Has this ever happened to anyone?

Is this in a pre-req course? Any chance you'd be able to retake the course by the time you matriculate?

Is this in a pre-req course? Any chance you'd be able to retake the course by the time you matriculate?

I can retake it if I have to, it's not a pre-req but an elective. Just wondering if anyone has gone through this or know anything about it

I submitted my secondary 11/4 and received payment confirmation but other than that I haven't received a complete email or anything..I understand they take their time but does anyone think VCOM would be receptive to pre-interview love letters if I'm really interested in the school?

Last edited:
I submitted my secondary 11/4 and received payment confirmation but other than that I haven't received a complete email or anything..I understand they take their time but does anyone think VCOM would be receptive to pre-interview love letters if I'm really interested in the school?

Contact them to verify receipt of the application. They had some difficulty with mine, and I didn't realize it for a month, and it needed to be resubmitted.

Complete since 10/27..
No word still. Anyone else?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Just got accepted! Good luck to everyone!

just got accepted also :) good luck everyone!

Reactions: 1 users
Submitted 11/6, still haven't received a complete email. Is this typical? Wondering if the Thanksgiving holiday caused a delay (or me submitting late has). Sigh.

Last edited:
Does anyone have specific interests in VCOM other than its a school in your area/it's a US medical school?

I got a call from VCOM on Monday asking if I was still interested in submitting my secondary because they'd love for me to do so. Was this just a courtesy call?

I got a call from VCOM on Monday asking if I was still interested in submitting my secondary because they'd love for me to do so. Was this just a courtesy call?
Yes, most likely. Think about the $$$.
The call wouldn't change anything for me.
Does anyone have specific interests in VCOM other than its a school in your area/it's a US medical school?
Go through their site and look around yourself. I'm sure you'll find something that you'll end up liking.

I got a similar contact from them. Submitted the secondary, received an II later that day, interviewed the next week, accepted two days later. They're interested.

I got a similar contact from them. Submitted the secondary, received an II later that day, interviewed the next week, accepted two days later. They're interested.
That was a really quick turn around... even quicker than when I went through the process (in september). Did all your fellow interviewees have the same rushed process?

I'm a student at VCOM and if they call you that means they are interested.

Reactions: 2 users
That was a really quick turn around... even quicker than when I went through the process (in september). Did all your fellow interviewees have the same rushed process?

Two friends who were accepted there this year got their IIs three business days after submitting, interviewed a week later, and were accepted a week after that.

n = 3, can't speak as to others.

I think VCOM does a great job of processing applications quickly and identifying the candidates they want.

Just got an ii!
Kinda unexpectedly in that it was a phone call (not not by an email).

I'm scheduled for the 18th of January. Anyone else got a recent ii (and perhaps are interviewing the same day)?
Will try to read through the entire thread soon, but in the meantime, any quick tips and words of advice?

Thanks!

Just got an ii!

I'm scheduled for the 18th of January. Anyone else got a recent ii (and perhaps are interviewing the same day)?
Will try to read through the entire thread soon, but in the meantime, any quick tips and words of advice?

Thanks!
Grats! I still haven't hear anything from them.
What are your stats and when did you get the complete email?

Grats! I still haven't hear anything from them.
What are your stats and when did you get the complete email?
Thanks! I actually never received a 'complete - email.' Only received a secondary invitation (on 10/26), submitted around 11/8 (I think), and finally received an ii today.
And my stats are - GPA: 3.75, MCAT: 24, and have a variety of extracurricular experience.

How about you? Did you submit before or after me? Keep up the faith ... Best of luck!

Just got an ii!

Thanks!

Their day is very low-stress. You'll have three one on one, open file interviews with staff members. Be prepared to answer why medicine, why DO, why VCOM. Good luck!

Two friends who were accepted there this year got their IIs three business days after submitting, interviewed a week later, and were accepted a week after that.

n = 3, can't speak as to others.

I think VCOM does a great job of processing applications quickly and identifying the candidates they want.

Similar experience

this school takes the cake for the least communicative. I applied here MONTHS ago (first DO application) and I have heard nothing but absolute silence

Reactions: 2 users
this school takes the cake for the least communicative. I applied here MONTHS ago (first DO application) and I have heard nothing but absolute silence

meaning your primary or secondary?

Hello fellow SDNers! I've been lurking around for a while now but haven't read through the whole thread yet. I was wondering if VCOM is already interviewing for the WL/ how full their classes are..maybe someone mentioned something during the interviews? Is it true that the GPA is more important than the MCAT for this school? It would be amazing if anyone could comment :) Thanks in advance and good luck to everyone applying!!!

Hello fellow SDNers! I've been lurking around for a while now but haven't read through the whole thread yet. I was wondering if VCOM is already interviewing for the WL/ how full their classes are..maybe someone mentioned something during the interviews? Is it true that the GPA is more important than the MCAT for this school? It would be amazing if anyone could comment :) Thanks in advance and good luck to everyone applying!!!
GPA is more important! And interest in primary care/serving the underpriviliged :D

GPA is more important! And interest in primary care/serving the underpriviliged :D

Thanks you, @CharuMD ! I was thinking about giving it a shot and just submitting my AACOMAS but I'm not 100% sure aaaahhh decisions, decisions. It's filled out and everything is there...I just have to hit submit lol
I have a low MCAT but a high GPA..my initial plan was to retake the MCAT in April and then apply next cycle. But it's sooo temptimg!

secondary. I don't think they pre screen I got it fairly quickly
Yeah I still haven't heard anything from them either. Everyone says the DO school cycle is longer than the MD, so I'm holding out hope!

Yeah I still haven't heard anything from them either. Everyone says the DO school cycle is longer than the MD, so I'm holding out hope!
This is actually bad news for me :( I am happy with my DO options right now but not at all satisfied with MD. BTW wouldn't the length of the cycle depend on the specific school? I know NYU finishes interviews in December but some schools interview until april! (Granted not many, but there is definitely a discrepancy)

Hey everyone! Just wondering how selective this school is about sending out secondaries. Do you just have to meet a minimum GPA and MCAT requirement to receive one, or do they consider EC's, personal statement, etc. also? About what percentage of people that submit secondary applications are invited for an interview? Just trying to get a general idea. Thanks for any responses!

Just got an II! does anyone know if a feb interview is too late in the cycle?

Just got an II! does anyone know if a feb interview is too late in the cycle?
I interviewed in Feb last cycle and I was waitlisted, I didn't get in, but they offered me a position for the 2020 class. So worst case you would get a position for the following class.

I interviewed in Feb last cycle and I was waitlisted, I didn't get in, but they offered me a position for the 2020 class. So worst case you would get a position for the following class.
What are your stats/LizzyM and when were you complete?
This is actually pretty cool, considering your seats saved so you have a year to really relax vs getting in in the current cycle and having x months to relax.

Hey everyone! Just wondering how selective this school is about sending out secondaries. Do you just have to meet a minimum GPA and MCAT requirement to receive one, or do they consider EC's, personal statement, etc. also? About what percentage of people that submit secondary applications are invited for an interview? Just trying to get a general idea. Thanks for any responses!
I second this question...especially the last part. I wonder how many students are invited for an interview post secondary submission? Any input would be awesome :)

Hey guys - I'm a current student. VCOM typically has a quick turn around for notification of the next step...but they also have a problem with their e-mails getting filtered to spam. Make sure you check your spam folder regularly as some of the information you are looking for might have ended up there

Hey guys - I'm a current student. VCOM typically has a quick turn around for notification of the next step...but they also have a problem with their e-mails getting filtered to spam. Make sure you check your spam folder regularly as some of the information you are looking for might have ended up there
Do you know if they like LOIs? Does it mean anything to them? According to some forums here it depends on the school...What is an appropriate time to submit one? I was thinking post secondary...?

I called them a few weeks back asking an update on my application. I'm from CA and they said they haven't gotten to this region of the country yet- anyone from the west coast receive an II?