FlexMed 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Well, I just registered for the August MCAT and bought a few review books

#pessimistic

Members don't see this ad.

I wonder what group they're going to lump me up with... my major is a combination of three seemingly unrelated (though not to me) disciplines.

I don't understand what your point is. HuMed applications were reviewed concurrently with AMCAS applications for twenty years. I promise that this isn't speculation, but you are free to believe whatever you like.

Segmenting students based on area of focus makes a lot of sense. It would be very challenging to compare the relative accomplishments of an engineer and a poly sci major in this program if everyone was lumped together on interview days,
lol... I wasn't disagreeing with you. Just speculating for other possibilities and having fun.

Also – poli* sci. :p

Members don't see this ad :)
lol... I wasn't disagreeing with you. Just speculating for other possibilities and having fun.

Also – poli* sci. :p

lol indeed.

Thanks for fixing my phone autocorrect mistake. I cannot overemphasize how truly embarrassed I feel at this moment. You have done a great service for not only me, but every single reader of this thread in years to come.

Thanks for fixing my phone autocorrect mistake. I cannot overemphasize how truly embarrassed I feel at this moment. You have done a great service for not only me, but every single reader of this thread in years to come.
tumblr_lho0p8Egty1qf7hu5.gif

Reactions: 1 user

I see...

Well, I just registered for the August MCAT and bought a few review books

#pessimistic

Keep your chin up. I think studying for the MCAT can be kind of enjoyable anyway. It's a chance to apply all the random stuff you've put so much time into over the years and to revisit with new clarity concepts you may have struggled with in the past. Just remember that once you are accepted to FlexMed you have to cancel that registration :)

I see...

Keep your chin up. I think studying for the MCAT can be kind of enjoyable anyway. It's a chance to apply all the random stuff you've put so much time into over the years and to revisit with new clarity concepts you may have struggled with in the past. Just remember that once you are accepted to FlexMed you have to cancel that registration :)
What a great way of thinking about the MCATs! Thanks for that :biglove:

What are the majors here? I'm a bio major and anthropology minor. I assume they have tons of bio majors applying...

What are the majors here? I'm a bio major and anthropology minor. I assume they have tons of bio majors applying...
Doubt those will be the majority of people making it, though. The point seems to be to not have the 60% bio major class a lot of med schools have lol

Just a heads-up: I just got an interview invite as a Humanities applicant! I guess it's not Mondays-only this year...woo hooo!!!

I just got an interview as a biological science person! Still in shock.

Members don't see this ad :)
Interview invite, humanities/science double major. Feel incredibly honored.

Humanities major here, also got an interview.

I got an interview invite as well :soexcited: I'm a biochem/biophysics major with an interest in global health.

Last edited:
Still haven't received anything :( I hope they're not done be giving out interviews. Guess they're not handing them out by concentrations given the mix we're seeing this time around.

Still haven't received anything :( I hope they're not done be giving out interviews. Guess they're not handing them out by concentrations given the mix we're seeing this time around.
Haven't heard anything either. But since I'm an international student, I wonder if they put us in the same pool.

No interview here either, and I'm a biological sciences major with a psych minor.
Do rejects get letters too? Because the lack of contact is better than a rejection letter...

Also got an interview. Anyone else choose 4/2 for the interview date? It'd be cool to see each other then.

Is anyone else who got an invite having trouble scheduling an interview? Three days were available for me on Friday...and this morning all of the dates are suddenly greyed out.

Is anyone else who got an invite having trouble scheduling an interview? Three days were available for me on Friday...and this morning all of the dates are suddenly greyed out.
You should try to click on the top where it says "April". There are 3 weeks in April when you can schedule I think.

got an interview
SOO EXCITED AND SCARED LIKE HOLY FREKIN *********

I need to email them because one of the weeks they have for me is smack in the middle of finals week.

got an interview
SOO EXCITED AND SCARED LIKE HOLY FREKIN *********

I need to email them because one of the weeks they have for me is smack in the middle of finals week.
Congrats! Did you receive it today or yesterday?

When is everyone going to their interviews? We should meet up!

Hey guys,
I am currently a freshman at UMD, majoring in Chemistry, and I am very interested in this program. I was wondering if those who received offers could tell me their schools/GPA/EC/SAT etc.
I know that this is a very competitive program and I don't know if I should even bother in applying next year since I don't go to an Ivy League.
Thanks and congratulations to all who got interviews!

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. I found completing the application itself (writing the essays, asking for recommendations, synthesizing my extracurriculars into a coherent story) a highly reflective and rewarding process. Even if FM does not work out, I'm 1000% more prepared for the actual med school application process than I was a few months ago.

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. I found completing the application itself (writing the essays, asking for recommendations, synthesizing my extracurriculars into a coherent story) a highly reflective and rewarding process. Even if FM does not work out, I'm 1000% more prepared for the actual med school application process than I was a few months ago.
You're right! I should definitely apply; I don't want to regret it in the future. Congratulations on your interview by the way!
Do you think you can tell me your stats? I'm just worried because my high school GPA (3.55) and SAT score (1880) were not that good :\. My grades, however, steadily improved throughout the years (3.4, 3.4, 3.4, 4.0; freshman ->snr year) and now I currently have a GPA of 3.94; my current extracurricular activities are also very good. Still, I have no idea if I have a chance in getting in since my high school grades kind of put me in a bad position.

@umdterps go for it. As choypin said, you'll never know if you don't try. I still feel like it's going to be a long shot for me, but I'm hoping that my essays and unconventional path will help me stand out. I do sometimes get down from thinking about how much more confident I'd feel if my life circumstances didn't make it so difficult to get stellar grades and get into an ivy... but it's never the end of the world if things don't go as planned. Don't let yourself pass up on the opportunity and later wonder 'what if?'

You're right! I should definitely apply; I don't want to regret it in the future. Congratulations on your interview by the way!
Do you think you can tell me your stats? I'm just worried because my high school GPA (3.55) and SAT score (1880) were not that good :\. My grades, however, steadily improved throughout the years (3.4, 3.4, 3.4, 4.0; freshman ->snr year) and now I currently have a GPA of 3.94; my current extracurricular activities are also very good. Still, I have no idea if I have a chance in getting in since my high school grades kind of put me in a bad position.

my hs gpa was like a 3.7 unweighted. not exactly but somewhere in that ball park (3.7+/-0.15). however i did graduate valedictorian so iono how that affected it at all. my sat was 1520 or 1560 CR+M and 800 800 770 for chem math iic and bio and 33/34 act. I did turn it quite around in uni though and got a 3.98 going into my 4th semester at college though. for what its worth I dont go to an ivy league either and got an interview so even though they might favor ivys, i think if you did well your semesters in uni i think you'll be ok in the end.

Ultimately, I believe admission into this program depends on a demonstrated passion and clear future direction/plan in a certain area. If that's absent, numbers don't really matter much.

Reactions: 3 users
my hs gpa was like a 3.7 unweighted. not exactly but somewhere in that ball park (3.7+/-0.15). however i did graduate valedictorian so iono how that affected it at all. my sat was 1520 or 1560 CR+M and 800 800 770 for chem math iic and bio and 33/34 act. I did turn it quite around in uni though and got a 3.98 going into my 4th semester at college though. for what its worth I dont go to an ivy league either and got an interview so even though they might favor ivys, i think if you did well your semesters in uni i think you'll be ok in the end.

Which school do you currently attend?

The fact that they are not sending out acceptances until June tells me they still have 2 months worth of interviews to fill. Don't lose hope everyone!

^True. It seemed as if the last date for interviews (at least on my webpage) was April 18th. There's still time to receive interview invites!

^True. It seemed as if the last date for interviews (at least on my webpage) was April 18th. There's still time to receive interview invites!
How many dates were you allowed to choose from?

There were green blocks from the end of March every weekday until April 18th (if I recall - someone tell me if I'm wrong). Right when I got the interview invite, I looked through my class' syllabuses and picked a date where exams didn't coincide with the interview dates.

Wow, explosions occurred pretty close to MS Hospital. Hope everyone there is ok... Their ER is probably swamped today.

Hey everyone! Biomedical Sciences person here.
Dean David Muller seems to always stress that they're looking for Humanities and Computational Sciences students for FlexMed and not necessarily "Biomedical Sciences" people. Do you think there'll be less spots for people who applied as BS and are very basic science research oriented?

Hey everyone! Biomedical Sciences person here.
Dean David Muller seems to always stress that they're looking for Humanities and Computational Sciences students for FlexMed and not necessarily "Biomedical Sciences" people. Do you think there'll be less spots for people who applied as BS and are very basic science research oriented?
MSSM was always very partial towards the HuMed type of people. SciMed was a later invention, but who know how they'll weigh this most recent class :shrug:

I emailed the admin office and they said the last date for interviews is 25 April. I have a feeling I was part of the last wave or wave near the end of interview invites.

Does anyone know how many spots there are this year from FlexMed? Some sources say 50% of the incoming class, some say 25%, and some say it depends on the quality of the applicant pool.

Does anyone know how many spots there are this year from FlexMed? Some sources say 50% of the incoming class, some say 25%, and some say it depends on the quality of the applicant pool.
Citations needed

I emailed the admin office and they said the last date for interviews is 25 April. I have a feeling I was part of the last wave or wave near the end of interview invites.

Well I guess that's it for me and the rest of us then... :'(

I'm curious about the amount of people they're interviewing versus the amount of people they're going to accept. I think traditional MD applicants have an acceptance rate of ~40% if invited for an interview (but that's because they're considering other schools, so it's probably not logical to look at those numbers).

If we're assuming 10-12 interviewees per interview day and 30 interview days, then that's 300-360 interviewees. If there's 35 seats (25% of their incoming class), then the percentage of accepted interviewees would be anywhere from 10~12% :eek:

I'm also wondering what percentage of applicants got interviews o_O