Iowa State University CVM c/o 2020 applicants!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Interview was SO low stress! Very conversational, and they really tried to make you as comfortable as possible! Nothing personally threw me for a loop!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 7 users
Just wanted to add that they told us that the invites for the other interview weekends will be going out in the next couple of weeks, so if you're still waiting, don't give up hope! They put up the stats for the invites of this weekend and it was all IS and contract states (CT, ND, SD).

Reactions: 2 users
Just wanted to add that they told us that the invites for the other interview weekends will be going out in the next couple of weeks, so if you're still waiting, don't give up hope! They put up the stats for the invites of this weekend and it was all IS and contract states (CT, ND, SD).
There were also a few of us (maybe it was only me?) OOSers who interviewed this weekend as part of the brand new Home Base Iowa/Veterans Access initiative, provided that we met all paperwork requirements and got approved for it. We were considered Iowa residents for both tuition and interview purposes, which I guess explains why I was invited for this session. :)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Oh, cool. Yeah, they must have lumped you into the Iowa numbers when they put up that chart.

I'm from NE (contract state) and got an interview for Dec. 20

I thought the rest of the interview dates were in January?

Oh, cool. Yeah, they must have lumped you into the Iowa numbers when they put up that chart.
Yeah, I think that's what happened, so that 62 number may be slightly inflated (I thought that the benefit stopped at IS tuition, but maybe it extends further than that...?). Although I will say I did panic a fair bit when I came in and was handed a name tag saying I was from Iowa, because I had completely forgotten I'd applied for the HBI/VA program (by the way, future OOS applicants... check it out and see if you qualify -- it can potentially save you a ton of money if you are accepted). :eek:

Speaking of, for the curious, here's the demographics for this first weekend! http://vetmed.iastate.edu/sites/default/files/academics/DEMOGRAPHICS FOR DECEMBER 5-6.pdf

By the way, @DogtorCK... you said that you interviewed at 2 on Sunday, right? I did, too, so I wonder if we toured together (it was just me, my mom, and then one other female student currently at ISU for undergrad and her guest?).

Yeah, I think that's what happened, so that 62 number may be slightly inflated (I thought that the benefit stopped at IS tuition, but maybe it extends further than that...?). Although I will say I did panic a fair bit when I came in and was handed a name tag saying I was from Iowa, because I had completely forgotten I'd applied for the HBI/VA program (by the way, future OOS applicants... check it out and see if you qualify -- it can potentially save you a ton of money if you are accepted). :eek:

Speaking of, for the curious, here's the demographics for this first weekend! http://vetmed.iastate.edu/sites/default/files/academics/DEMOGRAPHICS FOR DECEMBER 5-6.pdf

By the way, @DogtorCK... you said that you interviewed at 2 on Sunday, right? I did, too, so I wonder if we toured together (it was just me, my mom, and then one other female student currently at ISU for undergrad and her guest?).
Nope that wasn't me. I'm dumb and temporarily (when I responded to you) thought my interview was at 2 but it was at 11. I was going to amend it but then ... I forgot.

Just got an interview invite for January! Haven't gotten an email or anything, but its up on the portal:)
Out of State applicant!
Check your portals, friends! :D

Reactions: 3 users
Just got an interview invite for January! Haven't gotten an email or anything, but its up on the portal:)
Out of State applicant!

Me too! Just popped up on my portal. No email. OOS as well

Same! So exciting :)

Congratulations everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
Out of State applicant!

Same! Hey, thanks for the heads up!

Reactions: 1 users
OOS interview invite sent today! I'm so excited!!

I'm OOS and didn't have anything change on my portal (still in academic review), I'm guessing that's a bad sign? :(

I got an interview as well! I'm OOS haven't picked the date yet but it'll be some day in January. So excited!!

I just moved to committee review. I'm OOS

I was placed on interview waitlist. Anyone know anything about this and what my chances of getting an interveiw is?

Hey everyone got on a interview on the 24th of Jan. Planning on flying in on the 23rd....Anyone want to carpool or know of a good way to get to Ames.

Hey everyone got on a interview on the 24th of Jan. Planning on flying in on the 23rd....Anyone want to carpool or know of a good way to get to Ames.

I had my interview a few weeks ago (contract state). The drive from Des Moines is pretty straight forward if you're old enough to rent a car. It took maybe 40 minutes from the airport and it only cost me $60 to rent from Friday night to Sunday night (over 25, no extra fees). Someone else at my interview stayed at a hotel in Des Moines and took Uber to his interview for I think roughly the same cost.

Also, the interviewers are super nice and it is very low key. It's structured, "tell me about a time when____" type questions (the ones on the interview prep page were very similar), but they'll also give you a different prompt if one just doesn't jive with you and they want you to do well, so don't stress about it.

Also also, when you're scheduling your interview keep in mind that no matter what time your interview is, you still have to be there for the beginning of the block (morning check in is 7:15 and afternoon 12?). I scheduled mine for 11 thinking I could sleep in but nope, you have to be there and then sit around and wait for your interview time to come. Plan your interview block around any of the presentations (financial aid, student panel) that you want to go to as some students couldn't go to all of them if their interview times conflicted.

Good luck to everyone!!

To add on somewhat onto what @DogtorCK told you, I highly recommend that you check out the financial aid panel. Or, if you interview at that time, perhaps send a guest if you're bringing one. While I thought all of the panels I went to during the interview were great, that one was by far the most helpful and informative to me. And with how high the cost of vet school is, it's definitely an important consideration.

Anyone have any advice for the interview? I know my situation is a bit different since I interview at UNL since I'm from Nebraska. So I'm hoping it's still the same. I wasn't nervous before, but now that it's on Sunday I'm getting a bit antsy!

Hey guys, was wondering if anyone has any insight of interview waitlist and what my chances of getting off the waitlist are :( ?

I have no idea about the wait list. I know that there were 2 people who didn't show up to my interview session, so it could be possible?

I wonder if them not showing up could open up a spot for a waitlist applicant or if they just go with the applicants they got. Congrats on your interview tho!

The only issue of trying to decide things around a panel is that they haven't given me any panel times.....all I had was choice of times and just had to wing it really.

No one was given panel times before, but they are on the interview info page on their site if you look around for it

To everyone who received an interview: I received a message on the portal messaging system with a link to RSVP for the interview! Check your portals! T-minus 19 days :soexcited:
Congrats! Where is the portal? I'm so bad with this...

Hey guys, I was reading online that there is a day you need to inform Iowa State if you are attending the offered interview session or not. Is this true? If so what is the day?

Hey guys, I was reading online that there is a day you need to inform Iowa State if you are attending the offered interview session or not. Is this true? If so what is the day?
If you are offered an interview, they will tell you in the same message the date you need to accept/decline the interview by!

If you are offered an interview, they will tell you in the same message the date you need to accept/decline the interview by!

I was just wondering the dates to inform them about accepting/denying, since I am on the interview waitlist. I heard it was December 29th last year.

Are there any more interviews being sent out? I'm still in committee review atm, and nothing on my portal has changed for awhile.

I was just wondering the dates to inform them about accepting/denying, since I am on the interview waitlist. I heard it was December 29th last year.
It depends on when they sent the invitations! They give you two weeks to respond.

It depends on when they sent the invitations! They give you two weeks to respond.

Okay thank you, i think the last ones were sent around 12/18! Do you have an interview?

I see last year they interviewed 60 of the 64 IS students the first weekend. This year there were 62 of us IS the first weekend. Do you think they'll interview a few more IS students? So anxious waiting until FEBRUARY! Good luck to everyone interviewing in January, and HAPPY NEW YEAR! :banana::soexcited:

Does anyone know how many of the IS interviewees will be accepted?
They'll have a presentation on interview day that shows the statistics and chances of getting in at that point for both IS and OOS. At least that's what they did last year.

They'll have a presentation on interview day that shows the statistics and chances of getting in at that point for both IS and OOS. At least that's what they did last year.
Hmmm I went during the dec interview, and I don't recall them showing us that. But thanks! :)