Iowa State University CVM c/o 2020 applicants!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Seems like they interviewed a LOT less CT residents from last year. Like down to 16 from >30. And considering they supposedly accepted >20 of them last year, it looks like maybe they aren't planning on accepting as many of us? Either that or they're taking most of us. Just seemed like a drastic change to me.

Seems like they interviewed a LOT less CT residents from last year. Like down to 16 from >30. And considering they supposedly accepted >20 of them last year, it looks like maybe they aren't planning on accepting as many of us? Either that or they're taking most of us. Just seemed like a drastic change to me.

I was curious about that too, but I have a feeling they'll take at least 10 because that's what it's been the past few years. Plus have to give at least 5 seats, and I'm sure they accept more as some will decline, so 10 is probably safe.

Maybe they just had fewer CT applicants as they have had previously?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Looks like there were a decent chunk more Iowa residents who interviewed this year, too. I know that that number may be inflated because of the Home Base Iowa initiative, which literally started just this year. We're considered IS for both tuition and interview purposes. But as someone who applied and was approved for that, it wasn't very well advertised beyond a checkbox on the supplemental and a small webpage outlining the paperwork requirements on the main campus website. I'd be surprised if there were a lot of us who went through that avenue...

They interviewed 74 IS this year compared to last year's 64 IS interviews... Are they still only accepting 54 IS students? I'm getting more nervous now...

Does anyone know when they will let us know by?

Does anyone know when they will let us know by?
Official word from the school is Feburary 15th, but in years past, they've actually been up to a week early on sending out decisions. I hope that's what happens again!

So there's a small chance that we could hear something by the middle-end of next week if that trend holds true.

Official word from the school is Feburary 15th, but in years past, they've actually been up to a week early on sending out decisions. I hope that's what happens again!

So there's a small chance that we could hear something by the middle-end of next week if that trend holds true.
I hope its sooner rather than later! its killing me not knowing haha

Reactions: 1 users
I hope its sooner rather than later! its killing me not knowing haha
Hahaha, I understand! I applied to four schools but only have one decision so far (alternate at Midwestern), so I'm also in limbo at the moment. :) Heck, I'm still waiting on an interview invite from my IS, although if I get into ISU, I'll probably decline it anyway since I'll get the resident tuition and it costs less. :D

Another anxious applicant! I did have a question for any student that may be on here in their 3rd or 4th year. It's been harder to find the ISU students, if you could message me that would be great!

Also hoping we hear earlier than the 15th! Working on making my decision between Mizzou and (possibly) ISU.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I was wondering if any current students could explain what "Dead Week" is. I saw it on the ISU calendar and wondered! Thanks :)

I was wondering if any current students could explain what "Dead Week" is. I saw it on the ISU calendar and wondered! Thanks :)
"Dead week" is the week before final exams, and there is a rule that no quizzes or exams are to be given, and no official meetings are to be held during that time. My understanding (and I could be wrong because I didn't do my undergrad here at ISU) is that there are many undergrad classes that do not meet during dead week, but here at the vet school we continue to have classes through that week.

"Dead week" is the week before final exams, and there is a rule that no quizzes or exams are to be given, and no official meetings are to be held during that time. My understanding (and I could be wrong because I didn't do my undergrad here at ISU) is that there are many undergrad classes that do not meet during dead week, but here at the vet school we continue to have classes through that week.
All undergrad classes are still held during dead week! But the rest is spot on! "Dead" because no one goes out and everyone spends all their time studying!

Members don't see this ad :)
I AM GETTING SO ANXIOUS TO HEAR. I hope we hear this week. ISU is my IS and top school!!!! Good luck to everyone!!!

Way to make me think notifications had gone out :p

Reactions: 2 users
I AM GETTING SO ANXIOUS TO HEAR. I hope we hear this week. ISU is my IS and top school!!!! Good luck to everyone!!!
Almost gave me a damn heart attack! Hahaha. :p

I'm really hoping for this week, too. It's going to be an anxiety-ridden few days, waiting to hear back from both Glasgow and ISU.

Almost gave me a damn heart attack! Hahaha. :p

I'm really hoping for this week, too. It's going to be an anxiety-ridden few days, waiting to hear back from both Glasgow and ISU.
I'm guessing it'll be this week!

I really liked this school. It was by far my favorite.
As I told some other newbies at this..
the waiting is the worst part. :whistle:
Stay strong friends

You totally freaked me out! lmao ;)

I'm keeping my fingers crossed!!

PSA: Still haven't heard.

If anyone is interested, I've added up this year's interview weekend demographics.

Number interviewed: 359
IS: 74
Contract:
CT - 16
ND - 9
SD - 10
NE - Not included in interviews (Thanks, Runner94!)
OOS: 250

Seats available (Based on LAST YEAR): 149 (Odds in parentheses)
IS: 54 (73%)
Contract:
CT - 10 (62.5%)
ND - 4 (44%)
SD -5 (50%)
NE - 26 (unknown)
OOS: 50 (20%)

Links to this year's demographics:
December 5-6
January 16-17
January 23-24
January 30-31

Last edited:
Thanks for putting everything together in one place, @fredandcessna! :thumbup:

I'm starting to get really antsy; I keep freaking out every time I get an email notification... only to find out that it's from Target or Bath and Body Works. Haha. For the sake of my sanity this week, I hope that decisions come along sooner rather than later.

PSA: Still haven't heard.

If anyone is interested, I've added up this year's interview weekend demographics.
P.S. If anyone knows the deal with the Nebraska students and why they aren't listed, please correct me!

Number interviewed: 359
IS: 74
Contract:
CT - 16
ND - 9
SD - 10
NE - Not listed (Maybe included in Iowa residents?)
OOS: 250

Seats available (Based on LAST YEAR): 149
IS: 54
Contract:
CT - 10
ND - 4
SD -5
NE - 26
OOS: 50

Links to this year's demographics:
December 5-6
January 16-17
January 23-24
January 30-31

I'm from Nebraska and accepted my position at UNL-ISU in early January. We are still the class of 2020 at ISU, just taking the classes at UNL. We are separated from the interviews and such, so I interviewed in Lincoln Nebraska on Dec 20. It's kind of confusing! I believe 25 were offered positions. But don't quote me! :)

Thanks for putting everything together in one place, @fredandcessna! :thumbup:

I'm starting to get really antsy; I keep freaking out every time I get an email notification... only to find out that it's from Target or Bath and Body Works. Haha. For the sake of my sanity this week, I hope that decisions come along sooner rather than later.
ME TOO! As much as I love Target... I'm going crazy! Crossing my fingers it's soon!

TOMORROOWWWWW, TOMORROWWWWW, I LOVE YAAAAA, TOMORROWWWWW, YOU'RE ONLYYYYYY A DAYYYYY AWAAYYYYYYY (hopefully)

P.S. Sorry for stalking the ISU thread and sending you all a bajillion notifications
P.P.S. Not really that sorry
P.P.S.S. I really hope it's tomorrow

okay bye

TOMORROOWWWWW, TOMORROWWWWW, I LOVE YAAAAA, TOMORROWWWWW, YOU'RE ONLYYYYYY A DAYYYYY AWAAYYYYYYY (hopefully)

P.S. Sorry for stalking the ISU thread and sending you all a bajillion notifications
P.P.S. Not really that sorry
P.P.S.S. I really hope it's tomorrow

okay bye
I would be more than okay if decisions came today, believe me. :nailbiting:

I feel like I found out on a Wednesday... but that was a million years ago.

ugh I'm just realizing... last year their last interview weekend was a week earlier than this year. So it was 2 weeks after that day that they got notifications out. By that logic it won't be until the 15th :(

ugh I'm just realizing... last year their last interview weekend was a week earlier than this year. So it was 2 weeks after that day that they got notifications out. By that logic it won't be until the 15th :(
I think they were also told the 15 though!!! I'm still holding out hope for this week :nailbiting:

Last edited:
I believe they were also told the 15 as well though!!!

Yes, I think so, but I think they finished earlier because interviews were done earlier? :shrug: It definetely still could be this week, but if historically it takes 2 weeks after interviews finish to get results, it won't be for another week. I'm hopeful for early, but I don't have my hopes up :/

Yes, I think so, but I think they finished earlier because interviews were done earlier? :shrug: It definetely still could be this week, but if historically it takes 2 weeks after interviews finish to get results, it won't be for another week. I'm hopeful for early, but I don't have my hopes up :/
I am poo-pooing that idea!!!

(You're probably right)

Agreed. I'm really banking on it being before next week so that I can drop my physics 2 class and still get a refund if I am accepted, as unlikely as that may be.

I agree with that logic so I am now going to stop waiting for an email lol just relax this week everyone! I'm sure Hayley is right so enjoy your week, weekend, and Valentine's Day, then you can start watching your email like a hawk again! (And by "like a hawk" I mean "like a cyclone" )

I agree with that logic so I am now going to stop waiting for an email lol just relax this week everyone! I'm sure Hayley is right so enjoy your week, weekend, and Valentine's Day, then you can start watching your email like a hawk again! (And by "like a hawk" I mean "like a cyclone" )

Mildly panicked at the notification! Well said, @Makinglifedecisions! Good luck to everyone, and enjoy Valentine's day! I will be celebrating with a heart-shaped pizza and a Netflix marathon! (Love me some pizza and COSMOS).:kiss::kiss::kiss:

I'm an in-state Iowan and I have yet to hear back from admissions; I interviewed over 2 months ago and I feel like it'll be just my luck if I'm wait-listed in addition to these month of waiting. I keep checking my email and wondering when I'll get that notification.

I'm an in-state Iowan and I have yet to hear back from admissions; I interviewed over 2 months ago and I feel like it'll be just my luck if I'm wait-listed in addition to these month of waiting. I keep checking my email and wondering when I'll get that notification.
Monday the 15th! (I'm in the same boat). Regardless of when you interview, we all hear he same day!

Last edited:
Agreed. I'm really banking on it being before next week so that I can drop my physics 2 class and still get a refund if I am accepted, as unlikely as that may be.
You dont need a whole year of physics for iowa?

Nngh, so I know that we probably won't hear today... but I've still got that slight glimmer of hope that we might. I certainly wouldn't mind! :D

Nngh, so I know that we probably won't hear today... but I've still got that slight glimmer of hope that we might. I certainly wouldn't mind! :D
Me too I actually saw my interview invite on the portal before I even got the email that my portal had been updated, so I keep checking my portal

I'm going to try not to wait for it, and then be pleasantly surprised if it happens... unfortunately there's another non-vet school related email I've been waiting on since yesterday, so my email still gets refreshed every 5 minutes regardless. :rolleyes:

Yeah, I'm still waiting for a response from Glasgow, so between that school and ISU, I'm already stalking my email like a hawk. :p

Do you guys remember from November how I had to drop out of Chorus for my interview?

The email I'm waiting on today is the results of solo auditions for this semester. Waiting to see whether or not he's still holding a grudge for that...

Do you guys remember from November how I had to drop out of Chorus for my interview?

The email I'm waiting on today is the results of solo auditions for this semester. Waiting to see whether or not he's still holding a grudge for that...
Good luck, Hayley! I'm sure you'll make it

What does everyone's 'application status' say on their portal?

What does everyone's 'application status' say on their portal?
Application Status: Invited to Interview - Scheduled
Supplemental Application Status: Your supplemental application has been submitted and may no longer be edited.
VMCAS Application Status: Received