Kansas City University (KCU-COM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Oh I knew that. I've seen them. I was just talking about how unique they are to KCU

They're unique and shiny until you end up having to do one yourself in the middle of a hard class.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
They're unique and shiny until you end up having to do one yourself in the middle of a hard class.

Despite being incredibly behind in MSK, I still think it was a cool experience and I know that at least in my group, the people who put in the effort definitely learned a lot. Plus it opened a lot of doors with faculty members so that was cool too.

Overall, it wasn't a bad experience. It's just very time consuming and I should have planned for it better. It just means this weekend will be a study marathon lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
Despite being incredibly behind in MSK, I still think it was a cool experience and I know that at least in my group, the people who put in the effort definitely learned a lot. Plus it opened a lot of doors with faculty members so that was cool too.

Overall, it wasn't a bad experience. It's just very time consuming and I should have planned for it better. It just means this weekend will be a study marathon lol.

I will agree with you on this one. While I was actually working on it I wasn't the happiest...but after it is done with we did learn a lot.

The idea of grand rounds seem awesome haha. The first group did a fantastic job the other day!!!

in the complete email, they said they would give me a response within 3 weeks for an interview. it's been 4 weeks. should i be worried that this is a silent rejection?

About how long does it take for KCU to make a decision on applicants after the interview?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Hey I am scheduled for an interview on OCT 1, anyone else interviewing that wants to carpool together?
Or do current students offer room for one night?
Please let me know.
Thank you!

Hey I am scheduled for an interview on OCT 1, anyone else interviewing that wants to carpool together?
Or do current students offer room for one night?
Please let me know.
Thank you!
you could also look into airbnb!

Members don't see this ad :)
^ it'll also depend on how many interview days they have and how behind they get on reviewing apps haha. I was the first interview day last year and heard back within a week but I know other people who interviewed in October/November who had to wait four weeks (especially around the holidays). Hang tight and good luck!

^ it'll also depend on how many interview days they have and how behind they get on reviewing apps haha. I was the first interview day last year and heard back within a week but I know other people who interviewed in October/November who had to wait four weeks (especially around the holidays). Hang tight and good luck!

Hmm, I wonder what their first interview day was this year?

It was on 09/20. Still no word for us either. But, I am trying to be patient.

Hopefully we here something this coming week!

I am withdrawing my application. I hope my interview spot goes to one of you!

So, I interviewed here, and it's definitely up there on my choices, most likely my first choice. I think the interview went well.

I'm kind of freaking out because I saw that the MCAT average for class of 2019 was 29, and my MCAT is far below that. I know not everyone will be around a 29, but my MCAT is definitely lower.

I really want an acceptance here, but I feel like I interviewed for a waitlist spot.

Can someone tell me how many people are accepted post interview?

In the SAME boat as you w/ the MCAT

Here's to a new week of possibly finding out a decision!

Reactions: 1 users
We were told that last year had about 65% post-interview acceptance rate. But it might drop slightly this year because of an increase in number of application.

So, I interviewed here, and it's definitely up there on my choices, most likely my first choice. I think the interview went well.

I'm kind of freaking out because I saw that the MCAT average for class of 2019 was 29, and my MCAT is far below that. I know not everyone will be around a 29, but my MCAT is definitely lower.

I really want an acceptance here, but I feel like I interviewed for a waitlist spot.

Can someone tell me how many people are accepted post interview?

Just curious, this will be my first med school interview ever. On the interview day, do applicants bring anything with them ? Besides your personal items, a pen maybe ?

We were told that last year had about 65% post-interview acceptance rate. But it might drop slightly this year because of an increase in number of application.

Did they say that they are seeing an increase in applicants? Maybe that's why the process is taking longer this cycle.

Just curious, this will be my first med school interview ever. On the interview day, do applicants bring anything with them ? Besides your personal items, a pen maybe ?
I've not brought anything to any of my interviews. I've seen people bring a notepad and pen. (I don't think the admissions committee looks at who takes notes on the financial aid info...)

Does anyone if theres a specified time frame between the secondary received email and the secondary complete email? I went back and eliminating the outliers (4 days and 22 days), I saw an average of about 10 days. Just doing some crazy creeping to pass the time and ease the anxiety a little.

It's your choice. I took a notepad to my first interview but didn't write anything because I was too nervous haha. I took notes for KCU though because there was a lot of info from current students that I thought I wouldn't remember later

Landed in KC around 12pm today. I'm already liking this place! Chillin at a cafe. People here are nice

Is anyone willing to share an Uber with me tomorrow after the interview? I'll be going to the airport directly post-interview. My flight is at 7:45 pm.

Is anyone willing to share an Uber with me tomorrow after the interview? I'll be going to the airport directly post-interview. My flight is at 7:45 pm.

I wouldn't mind sharing an Uber. My flight is at 5:30pm so I'm bouncin ASAP

JUST GOT ACCEPTED! Interviewed on 9/10! I'm super excited!!!

Reactions: 19 users
what about things like working out/staying healthy haha. I assume you won't be able to work out everyday but I'd hope that there's some time to work out 4/5 days/wk for like 45mins to an hour

If you manage your time decently you can workout every day. Despite what it may sound like, most med students do have some kind of life outside of studying, it's just not as much time as in undergrad.

I am not 100% sure if we are the only ones, but I do know that MOST schools do not do Grand Rounds.

The only other school I know of that does grand rounds like KCU is RVU (for obvious reasons). Supposedly the students at UMKC heard about it and were trying pretty hard to get grand rounds implemented there as well. Idk if they have or will be doing them, but they were trying.

Should I continue to wait or should I call to check on my status?

Calling won't hurt, but before you do, check the spam box of your e-mail if you have one. For some reason e-mails from KCU often end up there, especially if you're using g-mail. A fellow SDN classmate on here almost missed his interview because his ii went into his spam.

Did they say that they are seeing an increase in applicants? Maybe that's why the process is taking longer this cycle.

We had a larger increase in applicants than any other school in terms of percentage last year, and they expect that trend to continue. However, from what I understand they also are not planning on increasing the number of interviews significantly due to time constraints. So if you got an interview, you're in a very good position.

I'll also say that KCU is one of the schools where applying early can make a HUGE difference in your chances for an acceptance. The current first year class was full by winter break last year, and anyone that submitted a secondary later than mid-October (aka interviewed in spring) was interviewing for the waitlist. Supposedly there were a few students with very impressive MCATs that were either waitlisted or flat out rejected because they applied in the spring and there just weren't any spots in the class left. If you've already got an interview, you're in good shape. To anyone applying here that hasn't turned in a secondary yet, GET IT DONE IF YOU WANT A LEGITIMATE SHOT!!! Otherwise good luck to everyone!

Reactions: 2 users
Would love to get secondaries in, but still waiting on AACOMAS to finish verifying my application! That's one of the biggest hold ups for many others I think. I actually have the secondaries all written and ready to submit.

I was also 9/10 but I have not heard anything back yet. Hoping to get good news soon though!

I was also 9/10 but I have not heard anything back yet. Hoping to get good news soon though!

I'm guessing it should be coming soon then

Ive never checked my spam this many times. haha.

Reactions: 2 users
So for the secondary, did anyone use the full 2500 characters? Do you think it would be bad to talk about more than one situation? Idk how I can stretch out an essay that long about one situation.