Kansas City University (KCU-COM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
any idea how long it takes to receive the secondary? My DO App just verified a couple days ago and I'm anxious to start on these secondaries

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
@Nblufire12 I have the same question. My app was receive over 2 weeks ago, and still no secondary!

Congrats on the II but especially CONGRATS on being in a position to take a month-long vacation. That's pretty sweet. I'm sure you can schedule a later one but it will need to be through a phone call. Look up Patricia Harper's phone number. She is very responsive and helpful. I wouldn't mention the month-long vacation though, just say that none of the dates work with your schedule or something like that.

Edit - KCU is pretty quick to fill up their class. This means the typical 'diminishing returns' of rolling admissions is likely exaggerated here. Delaying your interview a month will likely result in a much lower availability of seats in the class by the time you get considered.
if this is your number one choice id schedule an interview asap. I hear they accept a high percentage of people they interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
i have my interview this wed, but where is a good place to grab dinner the night before the interview? I will be staying at the 816 Hotel.

I walked from 816 to Jerusalem Cafe (~10mins away). I enjoyed it.
But there are a lot of other places in the area.

For those of you staying at the 816, don't forget that they give you two free drinks every night during happy hour from 6-730....just sayin'.

i have my interview this wed, but where is a good place to grab dinner the night before the interview? I will be staying at the 816 Hotel.

Char Bar, about 3 blocks down the street. Recommended by the front desk and I wasn't disappointed. I had the Holy Trinity (Ribs, Brisket, & Burnt Ends). Make sure you get Burnt Ends....you need them in your life.

Reactions: 1 users
I sent in primary in July, took 6 weeks to verify, then finished my secondary kinda slow in september. Then I get an email today finally saying my file was complete like a month later. Is this usual or am I just having the worst luck with this stuff? Hope I still get a decent consideration.

Nope! They will be next year though. I'm excited to see what kind of jump it'll make.

To quote @just_SAIYAN OVER 9000!!!!!!

Does the waitlist mean that they've already filled the class? I wouldn't be surprised, from all the acceptances.

I doubt the class is filled this early.

No, I spoke to the admissions director before setting my own interview date and she said the class isn't filled until Christmas or so.

To the first 2 quotes, the bolded is right. Last year's class was "full" by the end of December, so pretty much anyone that wasn't in the COB that interviewed in the New Year interviewed for the waitlist. I believe some of them were eventually accepted, but applying/interviewing early helps a lot here.

Jack Stack and/or Joes KC BBQ

Joe's FTW.

I'm not exactly sure how many are given out but most Osteopathic schools give out 2x as many acceptances as there are seats available, therefore 540 would be close. That being said, I think KCU probably gives out less because most students accepted end up matriculating here. They will inevitably lose students to allopathic schools and maybe a few other osteopathic schools so I'm guessing they still accept around 450 students. Now those acceptance rates of 80% also include waitlisted students because you techinically are not rejected. Maybe @AlteredScale has more insight than I do.

For the current first year class (and the past few years from what I understand), they interviewed ~800 people out of ~4,300 applicants, and accepted 500 initially (before waitlist movement). There are 250 seats per class, plus an 11% 'wiggle-room' for acceptances. So there can be up to 275 or so matriculating students in each class. So the above is pretty accurate, just thought I'd give the solid numbers.

I sent in primary in July, took 6 weeks to verify, then finished my secondary kinda slow in september. Then I get an email today finally saying my file was complete like a month later. Is this usual or am I just having the worst luck with this stuff? Hope I still get a decent consideration.

How late in July? How slow is "kinda slow"?

3-4 weeks to complete after secondary I would think is normal at this point in the cycle, for a school as desired/busy as KCU.

Don't fret. Still roughly three months before acceptance rate drops. You should be fine.

KCU Grand Rounds Presentations tomorrow @ noon (CST). Live lik:

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Who else is interviewing on the 15th?! Really excited for this one! Easily one of my top choices :)

It's pretty intense.

You get out of medical school what you put into it. You can get by on 4-6 hours a day (on top of labs and class if you go to class) or push your butt 8-10. Do whatever suits you.

You have free time but the curriculum schedule dictates when you have that free time. Use that free time wisely.

@AlteredScale can you post you typical a schedule??

so wait, you have class and labs from ~8-5 (9 hours) and then people study an additional 8-10 hours? How is that possible?

That leaves 5 hours for sleeping AND eating

so wait, you have class and labs from ~8-5 (9 hours) and then people study an additional 8-10 hours? How is that possible?

That leaves 5 hours for sleeping AND eating

And to ****. Don't forget to **** otherwise you get backed up!

You don't have class 8-5 everyday. Thursday and Friday is 9am-noon this week. It just depends on the block.

Some people don't even bother going to class. That frees up a bunch of time.

Yeah, some students will study 10+ hours a day. Probably not the same ones who go to class.

Reactions: 2 users
The 3.25 cgpa minimum is a hard requirement right?

For the multiple obligations question on the secondary, should be mainly be talking about school/work/volunteering all throughout college or a single experience?

Last edited:
For the multiple obligations question on the secondary, should be mainly be talking about school/work/volunteering all throughout college or a single experience?

I talked about a specific period in my life ("my junior year of undergrad") not my entire time in college. That's too vague IMO.

Can somebody send me the secondary questions? I'm curious if the criteria they are looking for has changed...

I talked about it balancing the areas you mentioned, but specifically during a time when I was also going through severe health issues and needed to balance my obligations with prioritizing my recovery, etc. I agree with the response above - if you're going to talk about "school/work/volunteering", try to put it in a specific context.

Okay, thank you. I am getting so tired of all the different secondary questions for all the different schools... :annoyed:

Hey guys, just wondering, has anyone received the followup email that the acceptance email alluded to? I haven't got one yet; figured I should ask the forum before I contact the school.

Hey guys, just wondering, has anyone received the followup email that the acceptance email alluded to? I haven't got one yet; figured I should ask the forum before I contact the school.
Not yet!

I haven't either! Hang tight. I think we're all waiting... but those acceptance emails/follow-up emails (with official acceptance letter and instructions) are so... :soexcited:

The 3.25 cgpa minimum is a hard requirement right?
I met two of the three cutoffs (missed one by just a little) and I got an interview. So if you love the school, you gotta risk it!

When would you say it is late to interview? I see a lot of people say that this school fills up seats by december. Is end of October okay still?

When would you say it is late to interview? I see a lot of people say that this school fills up seats by december. Is end of October okay still?

Is that a chocobo?

II just a few hours ago! Anyone know what the interview day is like? Tips? Thanks!

What the heck is up with the question about your other top 3 medical schools? C'mon now...

What the heck is up with the question about your other top 3 medical schools? C'mon now...

What question is that? I was under the impression the questions were the three listed as the first post of the forum. Am I missing something?

What question is that? I was under the impression the questions were the three listed as the first post of the forum. Am I missing something?
It is just a click and scroll down to find the school question. Definitely not essay form.

I don't think its a trick question but I don't really feel comfortable answering it. haha.

I don't think its a trick question but I don't really feel comfortable answering it. haha.

Yeah...doubt it's meant to be tricky either. That being said, I can't imagine they would include it if it didn't have some bearing. Perhaps to gauge if one is applying only DO or MD as well.

I believe the options were only DO schools. I was completely honest and put down my next top 3. I wish I could have put 1. KCU 2. KCU 3. KCU = Automagically accepted!! :clap:

This question on the secondary is optional. I didn't answer it and received an acceptance! :happy: If you guys are not comfortable answering, I am pretty sure it is OK to skip... However, this type of question may come up in any interview you might have so I would be prepared to answer it.

I believe the options were only DO schools. I was completely honest and put down my next top 3. I wish I could have put 1. KCU 2. KCU 3. KCU = Automagically accepted!! :clap:

I hear you. KCU is one of only 3 I am applying to and, to be honest, the only one I am truly interested in attending.

I don't think that Q has any bearing on your application. I think KCU just likes discovery questions on surveys. It's actually something I appreciate.
But I agree, doing that question was a bit awkward.

I don't think that Q has any bearing on your application. I think KCU just likes discovery questions on surveys. It's actually something I appreciate.
But I agree, doing that question was a bit awkward.
Yeah I'm sure it doesn't have any bearing. I still feel like writing three other schools is just setting me up for failure. Haha

This question on the secondary is optional. I didn't answer it and received an acceptance! :happy: If you guys are not comfortable answering, I am pretty sure it is OK to skip... However, this type of question may come up in any interview you might have so I would be prepared to answer it.

When my interviewer found out I where I was from one of the first things he asked me was if I got into KCU and The osteopathic school in my home state which would I choose? I took this as a "why KCU" question cleverly disguised. Just be prepared for curveballs!

Whenever I was asked this question I felt they were trying to get an idea of the area that the schools are in. If all of the schools that I listed were west coast schools then one Midwest they probably think you are applying to KCU as a backup. I was asked straight up in an interview why I would choose KCU over a west coast school. That being said, we have plenty of Californians, Utahns, and Floridians so I don't think it has any bearing on admissions.

Reactions: 4 users

If you think it's awkward answering that on the secondary, they asked me that during my interview.....

If you think it's awkward answering that on the secondary, they asked me that during my interview.....

I was asked this question in quite a few of my interviews. I don't think it's an awkward question at all.

Interviewing is a 2 way street. They want to make sure they like you and that you like them. If you don't fit their mission statement then why would they be interested in you?

If your answer is so generic that you can take out the name of their institution and plug in another name then they can tell you're bullsh*ting.

Just got II via email! Although the email says they recently notified me of an II and I need to sign up....but I never got anything lol

Just got II via email! Although the email says they recently notified me of an II and I need to sign up....but I never got anything lol
Probably in your promotions email~

That's interesting, really though as long as you're honest and show you're insightful, they won't hold it against you.

Yeah, maybe I should clarify that the question itself isn't awkward, but rather the way it was asked followed by roughly 20 seconds of silence after I answered the question. Also, my post was in reply to the guy stating the question on the secondary was awkward as in "if you thought that was awkward, better get over it before your interveiw". You're 100% right though honesty is the best route in any case, be genuine and don't try to BS them.

FYI. I got an email letting me know to pay the fee, and submit agreements by Dec 15. Was in my promotions tab. Just thought I should let you guys know.