Kansas City University (KCU-COM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So other than the peds and surgery....do you recall any of the others that will/may be offered?

IM, ObGyb, I think heme onc, and a few others I can't remember off the top of me head.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
For current students, around when do you think it's safe to have your housing secured? :)

IM, ObGyb, I think heme onc, and a few others I can't remember off the top of me head.

Will anybody interested/in good academic standing get to do this? Or will it be a competitive application process?

Current Students: at my interview day one of the 2nd years mentioned that KCU has special tracks for people interested in peds, surgery, and maybe other specialities (these were the ones I remembered) where if you are in good academic standing you can do peds rotations at the childrens hospital or surgery at KU. Can anybody confirm this? I cannot find any information on this.

Hmm had never heard of this. does this guarantee those students to stay in KC for years 3/4?

Hmm had never heard of this. does this guarantee those students to stay in KC for years 3/4?

From what I've heard, it depends on the track. I know there are some global health track students going elsewhere but I think majority of the tracks stay in KC. We haven't heard a ton about them though, there will hopefully be more info by time fall comes! :)

Surgery is one of the options for the fast track? Is it just general surgery?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Surgery is one of the options for the fast track? Is it just general surgery?

You mean the honors track? These aren't fast tracks!

Yeah for now I've only heard of gen surg but maybe ENT and/or neurosurgery in the the future perhaps? No clue if those will happen though!

You mean the honors track? These aren't fast tracks!

Yeah for now I've only heard of gen surg but maybe ENT and/or neurosurgery in the the future perhaps? No clue if those will happen though!
I'm sorry that's what I meant. And great, thanks for the info!

I'm sorry but I don't understand the tracks. So if you have the gpa, what does the track do for you exactly that you wouldn't get if you weren't in the track?

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone who interviewed in the Last 2 months heard anything back yet?
Everyone who interviewed in 2015 heard back. If you're wondering about January interviewers, I don't know. But if you interviewed in early or mid January and haven't heard back, you might want to call the admissions office.

Question for any of the current students. I know KCU estimates around 71-73k annual cost of attendance. I also know some schools exaggerate this number, while others are a little optimistic. How have you faired in terms of cost of attendance. I'll be living in CT, with a roommate and will not be owning a car for at least the first two years. Thanks guys!

Hey if I know I'm going here, is it still a good idea to go the accepted student day. What will I gain from this?

I would like to go but I don't think I can anymore. ..

Hey if I know I'm going here, is it still a good idea to go the accepted student day. What will I gain from this?

I never went but I heard you just get some more info. Its more for seeing the city and getting help with housing but you can do that without flying ther haha.

No harm no foul in not going!

Question for any of the current students. I know KCU estimates around 71-73k annual cost of attendance. I also know some schools exaggerate this number, while others are a little optimistic. How have you faired in terms of cost of attendance. I'll be living in CT, with a roommate and will not be owning a car for at least the first two years. Thanks guys!

COA has been fine for me. I havent had any issues with living or having fun tbh. Most places here are decently priced. Just dont go out and have meals at those three dollar bills places on yelp ;)

You don't need to go. I didn't go. No problems. It's not worth the flights IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

If you're a single student who can live on a budget then you will be able to give money back every semester.

They give me like $12k/semester and I return $4-5k. I live in an expensive place, spend too much on food and health insurance, and have a bad time with budgets.

Accepted! Interviewed late January!

Reactions: 7 users
Congrats.

Thanks!! I had a great experience at my interview! Seemed like an amazing place with a tight knit feel.

Does anyone get financial aid or grants or scholarships or is it all loans?

Thanks

@AlteredScale , I have a quick question about being a student ambassador.
Other than being there for the interview days, what else are you responsible for, and are there any benefits to being a student ambassador?

@AlteredScale , I have a quick question about being a student ambassador.
Other than being there for the interview days, what else are you responsible for, and are there any benefits to being a student ambassador?

We usually do tours for other groups like the governing board of KCU, for any events that occur we are the representatives. If they need help hosting 1 or 2 students we do that as well. It's not a bad gig. Free lunch, get to meet some cool people. The student services ladies are an absolute blast to work with and they spoil us with a tone of food and stuff haha.

Feel free to ask any other questions!

@AlteredScale any chance you have any more info about the specialty tracks you could release?

@AlteredScale any chance you have any more info about the specialty tracks you could release?

Nothing exciting yet. All I have are anecdotal stories in terms of the 2nd year students heading towards the pediatrics track. I know they have a surgery track, and internal med track, an ObGyn track. I know they had more but I don't remember them right now :/

No worries :) when/if you get those can you update me? @AlteredScale

Wow. This is an excellent school. It had a better feel than both of the in-state medical schools that I interviewed at. Glad to have had the chance to interview here, tour the facilities, and speak with current students.

Reactions: 4 users
What's the printing situation like on campus? Random, but does Century towers provide any?

What's the printing situation like on campus? Random, but does Century towers provide any?

Printing is super easy and cheap on campus with the WEPA printing service that's connected to your ipad. I believe ct has printing as well.

Wow. This is an excellent school. It had a better feel than both of the in-state medical schools that I interviewed at. Glad to have had the chance to interview here, tour the facilities, and speak with current students.

The chocolate cake would have been a tipping point for me. It was pretty good.

Glad you enjoyed! It was pleasure being your guys ambassador that day :)

Not that I could find, but maybe current students can answer? @AlteredScale @mamit1001 @SynapticDoctah
What I'd really like is a place to play quick games of soccer on campus. Maybe we could just set up goals on the bball court... :thinking:

Not on campus that I know of. There's a pretty big field by the parking lot though that you might be able to play soccer in? They have their intramural flag football games there so it's plenty big haha