Kansas City University (KCU-COM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
apparently there is a waitlist fee for century towers. does any one know if people get off the waitlist? seems kind of steep to pay a 175 non refundable fee just to be put on a waitlist you might not get off of in time.

Members don't see this ad.

apparently there is a waitlist fee for century towers. does any one know if people get off the waitlist? seems kind of steep to pay a 175 non refundable fee just to be put on a waitlist you might not get off of in time.

You can call and ask what spot you'd be on the list, but everyone gets put on the "waitlist" since no apartments are currently available. By May, they know who is and isn't staying and will report back to you the apartment you'll receive. Last year they told me about half of the apartments typically get renewed and half vacated, so they've done this long enough to know how much of the waitlist will get an apt. I suggest calling before paying though, just in case.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 users
Hello to everyone. I am a former student of the great kcu. I am looking to sell my medical supply kit that the university will require you to buy. I have every piece and it is pretty much brand new. The price of everything from the book store is 800 plus tax.
I am selling mine for 600 and I'll even throw in the carrying bag which is normally 50 for free.
I live in Kansas city right now.
Please reply if you are interested in buying this. Thanks
Brad

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello to everyone. I am a former student of the great kcu. I am looking to sell my medical supply kit that the university will require you to buy. I have every piece and it is pretty much brand new. The price of everything from the book store is 800 plus tax.
I am selling mine for 600 and I'll even throw in the carrying bag which is normally 50 for free.
I live in Kansas city right now.
Please reply if you are interested in buying this. Thanks
Brad
I'd be interested!!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I want to know from some KC locals, what is the perception about KCUMB within KC and MO/KS?

I know this question is going to draw some subjective answers, but I am curious about how the school is perceived by those who've been around it for sometime.
Thus far, I've been nothing but impressed with the school, but I only first heard about it about two years ago.

I want to know from some KC locals, what is the perception about KCUMB within KC and MO/KS?

I know this question is going to draw some subjective answers, but I am curious about how the school is perceived by those who've been around it for sometime.
Thus far, I've been nothing but impressed with the school, but I only first heard about it about two years ago.
Haha great question. The answer is the community knows zero about this school. I bought a car from a group 2 blocks away from the school and they had never even heard of it. You will tell people that you go to KCU/KCUMB and they say "oh yeah, KU is a great med school". You try to have pizza delivered, you give the address and tell them it is a medical school called KCUMB and they reply with "KU med is on the other side of town, you need to call a different pizza place." Now with that being said, most people outside of medicine have no idea about medical schools. Most people associate medical schools with major colleges, and I would further add that if the school doesn't have a major sports program they wouldn't know about the medical school either. For instance, nobody here I have come into contact with has said "Oh do you go to UMKC med school". In this area KU med is king and that is ok. Nobody gives a hoot where you went to school, they'd probably be more concerned with where you did residency and how good of a physician you are IMO. I can't comment on what other physicians around the area think of KCU because I don't know. My family physician thinks it is a great school and he has a lot of colleagues from here and he is an MD.

As far as what I think of KCU being only an MS1. I love it here. I think if you are going to an osteopathic school it is probably best to choose one that has a long history and a solid background. I think newer schools are higher risk.

Reactions: 2 users
All the doctors I have shadowed know this school and say great things about it.

Also, the my own doctors know and love the school and even have partners who are graduates of KCU.

Outside of medicine people are clueless. I guarantee if you asked 100 people, only 10 or so would actually know what it takes to become a doctor and the process. No one understands the details and there isn't a reason they would.

Reactions: 3 users
Haha great question. The answer is the community knows zero about this school.

Thanks for giving me your honest answer. I agree with much of what you've said. In my neck of the woods (Pacific Northwest) I even find myself constantly explaining what a DO is. Much of my interest in KCUMB was a product of how well established it is, and that it can definitely produce a good physician. Again, thanks.

Thanks for giving me your honest answer. I agree with much of what you've said. In my neck of the woods (Pacific Northwest) I even find myself constantly explaining what a DO is. Much of my interest in KCUMB was a product of how well established it is, and that it can definitely produce a good physician. Again, thanks.
That's been my experience but then again I rarely go out in the community. Just like you already stated, most people do not know the difference between md and do.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

Def agree with you here. The school has posted a bunch of billboards up around the city to make the school more well known but I think it's the actions and effect of the alumni base that truly make it stand out as a school. So if you go to Truman Medical Center, KU MedCenter, or Children's mercy and you say you went to KCU/KCUMB most will know. But def agree with higher primate that you talk to anyone normal person in the city and the kinda give you a funny look because they've never heard of the school haha.

I just say I attend KU Med because it's easier than trying to explain what KCU is. However, this is how it's gonna be for ANY DO school you go to (unless you go to MSU or OSU) which people still wouldn't even know that it's a DO school outside of medicine (nor do they care).

Also, once you get into medical school you will quickly realize that you have for more important things to worry about than if people in the city know where your school is. Once you get into school, no one talks about DO/MD stuff. You are in medical school.

Reactions: 2 users
Accepted Students Day was so awesome!

Amazing school, amazing students, amazing place that is going to set us all up for so much success in the future.

All not going here should be soooooo jealous. Seriously

Reactions: 4 users
This is a crazy good match list! Does AOA ortho matter vs acgme?

And a bunch of anesthesia and plastic....wow!

I would say yes it would have mattered a few years ago but since most of these programs (actually all since these are 5-6 yr programs) will be acgme and held at the same standard as a university residency program then I would say the difference is negligent and they'll get superb training as well!

I enjoyed acceptance day so much and got a really good feeling from the school/finally picked my apartment! I really like Kansas City too. Thanks to the student ambassadors for a great day!

Reactions: 3 users
Hoping some people can provide some clarity on this: are KCU students required to match into a core clinical site for MS3, or can they chose an affiliated site? The dean mentioned something at accept day like if someone wanted to go to CA, they could do that, but there's no core sites in CA. I imagine he may have been talking about 4th year, but I'm wondering about third year. Also, can your third year electives be in a different place than your core site?

Hoping some people can provide some clarity on this: are KCU students required to match into a core clinical site for MS3, or can they chose an affiliated site? The dean mentioned something at accept day like if someone wanted to go to CA, they could do that, but there's no core sites in CA. I imagine he may have been talking about 4th year, but I'm wondering about third year. Also, can your third year electives be in a different place than your core site?

For third year you're only allowed to go to the core sites because the school is pretty stringent on making sure you get a strong clinical education during that time. For the electives I believe hey need tone either at the site or an accepted area within that site (I think they have a list online for those). Fourth is basically free for you do what you will minus the specific EM and other little electives.

For those of you who are entering the 2020 class in a few months, I received a piece of advice that I think is worth sharing. When you're studying for these blocks, treat every pass of the material on the power point like it's the last time you'll see it before the exam. Hopefully that helps a few of you!

Last edited:
@AlteredScale I'm contemplating book purchases and was told many of the texts are available digitally via the library. If you could recommend which books might be necessary to purchase vs just using the digital versions.

For those of you who are entering the 2020 class in a few months, I received a piece of advice that I think is worth sharing. When you're studying for these blocks, treat every past of the material on the power point like it's the last time you'll see it before the exam. Hopefully that helps a few of you!

What?

What?

I think he meant study everything like you won't be able to see it again. So pay attention to detail?

@AlteredScale I'm contemplating book purchases and was told many of the texts are available digitally via the library. If you could recommend which books might be necessary to purchase vs just using the digital versions.

I so far have purchased medical biochemistry, BRS physiology or costanzo physiology, and Big Robbins, the rest you can def get by with the power points!

If you're saying what I think you're saying, it sounds super intimidating.
Oh that's not what I wanted to portray haha. I just meant that statement helps you pay attention to detail and in some way motivates you. After three months of studying you sometimes find yourself lacking motivation. So when you say "okay, this will be the lay time I see this ppt before the exam" it helps your mind really stick the facts straight!

I so far have purchased medical biochemistry, BRS physiology or costanzo physiology, and Big Robbins, the rest you can def get by with the power points!

Would you say that many of the "other" books are in fact available via the digital library? More as a just in case one wanted to read them. I will likely be fine with the PowerPoints alone, but nice to know what is readily available vas what I'd have to physically visit the library to read.

Thanks for the input, as always!

If you're saying what I think you're saying, it sounds super intimidating.

It is intimidating! I mean, last week when I was studying for our final exam, I was looking at a Powerpoint and as soon as I was done with the lecture some random dude wearing a bandana walked in and ripped the download from my computer and took all my textbooks so I could never see it again! It was nuts! Hahaha jk @AlteredScale

Lets go get some Cali burritos @AlteredScale

Would you say that many of the "other" books are in fact available via the digital library? More as a just in case one wanted to read them. I will likely be fine with the PowerPoints alone, but nice to know what is readily available vas what I'd have to physically visit the library to read.

So... for most of the classes, they will have what you need to know in the Power Points alone. The information is there, but sometimes it is hard for me to put the information into context to get a deep understanding because they don't include the entire picture sometimes in the lectures. There is a difference between understanding and memorizing. For me, it is easier to read the entire chapter in the physiology book. For example, before studying lecture #1 of the renal block, I had already read the entire renal chapter in Costanzo so I had an idea of what was going to be discussed. That way I can get the "whole picture" of what is going on in one pass of the slides and can kinda make a story in my head with the information. Then, when you are studying the lecture slides everything makes much more sense because you kinda have a framework to work off...does this make sense kinda? This is the way I do it. I think @AlteredScale and @Higherprimate do this as well?

For our last block, the slides were NOT good to study from alone because they were just a bunch of random facts here and there. If you can't connect the dots on why "X fact" is important, you are gonna have a BAD TIME trying to answer questions regarding a patient who comes in presenting a certain way and using these "random facts" to draw conclusions.

You guys will figure it out once you get here and start going through classes. It took me two blocks to really figure out what works for me. Also, each professor is going to be different. The people I study with, and I, have learned that if we have certain professors, we should just read the book instead of trying to learn from the Power Point slides. Other professors it is ok to study only the PP slides.

Here are a list of books I would get FOR SURE for the first few classes:

MCM (Medical biochem,this doesn't mean "man crush Monday" guys)
- Medical Biochemistry by Panini is good to have as a hard copy because again, you can see an entire pathway and see the entire picture instead of choppy slides. Also, many of the professors for biochemistry take questions out of this book and/or have similar questions, so doing the practice questions is key.

HDM (immunology)
-For this class, I think you would be fine just using the lecture slides.

MSK (musculoskeletal)
- Get the hard copy of Human Gross Anatomy by Dr. Olinger in our bookstore. It has great pictures of real bodies + drawings side by side. He also includes clinical notes in the book. Dr. Olinger is an anatomy professor here and so when he teaches anatomy, he takes stuff straight out of his book. Therefore, instead of studying his slides, I just look at his textbook. I use his book for EVERY block when there is an anatomy component.

-Get Clinically Oriented Anatomy (.pdf or hardcopy). Many questions for MSK are straight out of the "blue boxes, clinical boxes" in this book so you NEED to read them somehow.

Cardiopulmonary/Renal/Endo/Repro/GI
- #1 is Physiology by Costanzo. You will hear this name all throughout medical school as it is one of the biggest physio books out there. Get this book as a hard copy or .pdf and read each chapter when you go through each block. Also, do the practice questions after each chapter. This is KEY.

-Another good book to get for anything related to embryology (which you will have in every block as well is Medical Embryology by Langman. Like I said, sometimes it is hard to put embryo into context, so I like to read the chapter in here before trying to hit the slides.

This is all I can think of for now...let me know if you have any questions.

Last edited:

Oh yeah, there are so many books on the digital library. Guaranteed you won't use all of them!

I'll be withdrawing my acceptance. I hope it goes to one of you guys who are waiting! <3

Can't recall if this question has been asked, but are tests scheduled on specific days of the week? I.e. Monday's are test days?

Can't recall if this question has been asked, but are tests scheduled on specific days of the week? I.e. Monday's are test days?

For the most part all the written exams (the ones that count for the most of your grade) will be on Monday. Anatomy practicals have also been on Monday but sometimes they are on Friday.

It's a little bit varied though ad when tests happen on a Friday everyone loses their minds haha.

hey guys, I'm having hard time deciding where to live? Century towers obviously provides the peace of mind of being right in front of the school, cheap rent, and being around other students. I know the area is a bit wanting so I was looking at a couple places that are about 12 miles north of KCU. What are most of y'all doing? Staying at CT or living elsewhere?

hey guys, I'm having hard time deciding where to live? Century towers obviously provides the peace of mind of being right in front of the school, cheap rent, and being around other students. I know the area is a bit wanting so I was looking at a couple places that are about 12 miles north of KCU. What are most of y'all doing? Staying at CT or living elsewhere?
Cityview is pretty close as is briarcliff apartments. Beyond that there are lofts and apartments in downtown by are pretty pricey unless your SO is with you and working then you may be eligible for low income pricing on the lofts.

The briarcliff apartments are nice, but way too expensive in my opinion. There are so many good apartments 10-15 min away--you'll be able to find a lot of nice ones if you're willing to drive a little.

For the multiple obligations secondary, do y'all think it's bad to say that I skipped an event to focus on studying. For example, I missed regional playoffs with my club baseball team to study for my ochem final (which I still got a B on unfortunately). But I'm afraid that may sound like if I don't have time to do something I just don't do it. Plus I really wouldn't consider a B being successful in that situation.
Or are they looking for a situation where you had multiple things to do, and you found a way to do all of them? What do y'all think? What did y'all put for this?

For the multiple obligations secondary, do y'all think it's bad to say that I skipped an event to focus on studying. For example, I missed regional playoffs with my club baseball team to study for my ochem final (which I still got a B on unfortunately). But I'm afraid that may sound like if I don't have time to do something I just don't do it. Plus I really wouldn't consider a B being successful in that situation.
Or are they looking for a situation where you had multiple things to do, and you found a way to do all of them? What do y'all think? What did y'all put for this?

Nah thats a fine story to use, More important is getting the message across about what you learned from that situation and what you have dine since to succeed.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

For the current graduating class I have seen some great matches. IM at UC Irvine, UCLA Olive View, KU Med. EM at Mizzou. Anesthesiology at Case Western University Hospitals, General Surgery at KU Med, Radiology at Ohio State, Diagnostic Rads at Scott & White, ObGyn at UCSF-Fresno. 5 orthopedic surgery, 1 ENT surgery.

For what it's worth as well. Don't believe UCLA Olive View has ever accepted a DO into their program (http://uclaoliveview.org/people/housestaff/).