Kansas City University (KCU-COM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just wait till you get pigwhich though.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Soooo good

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
nvm, just saw the email it went to my spam!?!? IT WAS SITTING THERE FOR 10 DAYS!!! AGGHHHHH
Congrats on the invite at least! For some reason all of this school's emails always go to my 'promotions' folder, except for their grand rounds emails!

Reactions: 1 user
lol this school has to stop sending Grand Round emails, it's such a tease

Members don't see this ad :)
Interviewed yesterday. Had a great time. Everyone was nice and the interview was relaxed, just like everyone else has said. I didn't get any ethics questions. The campus is beautiful and so is KC. Really hoping I get accepted!!!

Reactions: 2 users
What is everyone's impression on the preceptor-based clinicals?

When is the 6week mark for the first group of interviews? Any news yet?

Can any current KCU students speak about the clerkship/clinical rotation years at this school? I'm learning more and more about how important it is to have strong clinical rotations but i don't really know enough about clinical rotations in general to know specifically what to ask? Are the rotations nearby? Are the hospitals they are done at good? Do they allow you to experience a lot of things or are the clerkships mostly just observational? Are there many different hospitals or just one? Are the hospitals very academic?

Any info on this would be much appreciated.

Could you please weigh in, @AlteredScale ?

Can any current KCU students speak about the clerkship/clinical rotation years at this school? I'm learning more and more about how important it is to have strong clinical rotations but i don't really know enough about clinical rotations in general to know specifically what to ask? Are the rotations nearby? Are the hospitals they are done at good? Do they allow you to experience a lot of things or are the clerkships mostly just observational? Are there many different hospitals or just one? Are the hospitals very academic?

Any info on this would be much appreciated.

Could you please weigh in, @AlteredScale ?

About half the students in each class stay in KC. It's a mixture between preceptor and ward/resident team based but more so preceptor.

The other half will go to different states such as Ohio, MI, OK, CO Denver and are assigned to specific core sites. Many of them being a few hospitals. Many of these hospitals are shared by other DO schools and have residencies so they are teaching hospitals. They are not university hospitals.

All of them have their own strengths and weaknesses. For example someone interested in ortho or surgery may want more one on one attention and that can be given preceptor based and so KC is a strong site for that. Someone may want more of a inpatient setting where all of their rotations are in a hospital as supposed to outpatient or private practice setting, and Whichita or Joplin or West Palm in FL would be good for those. Note I'm just giving examples.

Just as a disclaimer what I'm saying right now may be completely inaccurate or different in terms of what sites are available or what states are open. So it's hard to give an accurate picture but it's the best I got.

I never thought I could like a school so Much until I came here. So many tough decisions are gonna be made by the time I pick a school sigh p

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted to the Joplin campus! Awesome

:banana:

Reactions: 6 users
Accepted!! Interviewed 9/27 ( I think) :)

Reactions: 10 users
Accepted! I can't believe it. Feeling so grateful right now.

Edit: KC campus!

Last edited:
Reactions: 17 users
waitlisted... :( does anyone know about the waitlist movement?

Accepted to KCMO campus!!!!!!

Reactions: 9 users
Hey that's 4 weeks time. Good news! Congrats to everyone!!

Accepted to KC, interviewed 9/13!! Anyone want to start a Class of 2021 FB Group??

Reactions: 8 users
If everyone could mention what campus preference they put, it would be appreciated :D thanks!

Accepted Joplin campus , interview 9/29

Reactions: 7 users
Placed on the Wait list post interview. Only interviewed a couple weeks ago. Regional Student. LizzyM ~74. I really liked the school, but my interview experience was nothing like what I've read on this thread. It was pretty intense and not conversational at all. Asked a couple ethical questions and then just asked about negatives/weaknesses/things I could improve upon the rest of the time. By the third time he asked me to name 3 weaknesses/things I could improve upon I told him I could think of any more...Who goes into an interview with 9 weaknesses prepared?! Also, he never even asked me the typical "Why do you wanna be a doctor?" and then he ended with "What makes you think you would fit in here since you went to undergrad at XXX and they have their own med school? Wouldn't you rather go there?" I've never had such a pessimistic interviewer at any of my other schools. None of the student ambassadors knew who my interviewer was though so I guess my experience was an outlier. Gotta love the luck of the draw!

Reactions: 3 users
Congrats to everyone accepted! I'm like 99% sure I will be matriculating. Anyone else?!

Reactions: 7 users
Accepted to KCMO campus! So excited!

I'm 100% sure I'm matriculating

Did everyone put only KC for their campus preference? I put either, but really hoping for KC. Is that happening?

I actually turned in the form late so the school made the choice for me. I feel like Joplin is really looking for people who have ties with the community or more rural areas.
Ok. I guess I'm wondering if they push all the "either" people to Joplin because I don't imagine a lot of people put Joplin as their preference. I'm kinda second-guessing my decision putting "either". But I could be wrong...

Congrats on all the acceptances today!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Does anyone know where I can find their COMLEX & USMLE pass rates and average scores? I thought I saw it pre-interview, but I think they changed their website...