Kansas City University (KCU-COM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congratulations to all those accepted today! I hope to see some of you next year.:)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted KC campus!!!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 4 users
Interviewed 9/27 and accepted to KC campus! Literally in tears of joy

Reactions: 5 users
Accepted! KC interviewed 9/27

1000% matriculating

Reactions: 7 users
Accepted to KC!

Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone know where I can find their COMLEX & USMLE pass rates and average scores? I thought I saw it pre-interview, but I think they changed their website...

99.7% pass rate for comlex. Hard to give a pass rate for USMLE since not the whole class takes em but I heard two fails.

Comlex: I believe 30 points above the national average. USMLE last I heard was 227-228

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

99.7% pass rate for comlex. Hard to give a pass rate for USMLE since not the whole class takes em but I heard two fails.

Comlex: I believe 30 points above the national average. USMLE last I heard was 227-228

Thank you!!

Got the decision during another interview today. ACCEPTED TO KC CAMPUS! What a time to be alive!

Reactions: 10 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Wow! 9/27 - 10/14 = 17 days! That's a lot shorter than 6 weeks. That's what I like to see!

Reactions: 1 user
Hoping those October interview results come soooonnn I don't even want to do other interviews i just want this one!

I interviewed last week so haven't heard back yet. Did they say when the "accepted day" was going to be? And is that in case you are still on the fence if you want to go? If I got accepted here my wife and I might want to visit my top two or three choices together so we can be sure we both like where I choose. I am just wondering if that is what their accepted day was for or not.

I interviewed last week so haven't heard back yet. Did they say when the "accepted day" was going to be? And is that in case you are still on the fence if you want to go? If I got accepted here my wife and I might want to visit my top two or three choices together so we can be sure we both like where I choose. I am just wondering if that is what their accepted day was for or not.

Their accepted day last year was right before the second deposit was due. I want to say it was early March.

Now I can finally wear the KCU shirt without feeling paranoid

Reactions: 13 users
accepted via email this morning to the kansas city campus as well! interviewed 9/23.
super surprised because I was definitely expecting the 6 week turnaround time.
congratulations everyone!! :highfive:

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
@AlteredScale I know you're not a magical omniscient admissions being, but should I contact them? It's been over 4 weeks since they told me they would screen my primary within 2 weeks. I have not received the secondary or any further communication. I just don't want to get lost or fall further behind. Any thoughts you have are welcomed.

@AlteredScale I know you're not a magical omniscient admissions being, but should I contact them? It's been over 4 weeks since they told me they would screen my primary within 2 weeks. I have not received the secondary or any further communication. I just don't want to get lost or fall further behind. Any thoughts you have are welcomed.

I would definitely contact them!

Interviewed here on 10/12 and this decision cannot come soon enough. This place is definitely my new number one.

Does anyone have new or interesting info about the Joplin campus? I understand the class size will be about 150, is that correct? Any real pros/cons relative to attending the KC campus?

Interviewed here today and had a great time, definitely a great vibe and awesome campus. So it was mentioned a few times how rigorous KCUMB's curriculum is. I should've asked about it, but in my head I was thinking "aren't all med school curriculums rigorous"? Can any current students comment on the curriculum, and am I missing something that is unique to KCUMB's curriculum?

Interviewed here today and had a great time, definitely a great vibe and awesome campus. So it was mentioned a few times how rigorous KCUMB's curriculum is. I should've asked about it, but in my head I was thinking "aren't all med school curriculums rigorous"? Can any current students comment on the curriculum, and am I missing something that is unique to KCUMB's curriculum?

Its intensive. Exams every other week. Lots of competencies in which faculty expect you to not only know the info but apply it and even teach it to classmates. The pace is fast and pretty unrelenting. You will complete a renal course in about three weeks, a semester of biochem in a week, and An endocrinology course in two weeks. You will essentially memorize all of medical microbiology in two weeks. Second year your assigned reading is Big Robbins. You would fail our exams only using Pathoma and/or First Aid.

Its very tough and expectations are high. But all of this is to make sure each class performs at the very top in both boards and clinical rotations and so far its proven its worth. :)

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 4 users
Its intensive. Exams every other week. Lots of competencies in which faculty expect you to not only know the info but apply it and even teach it to classmates. The pace is fast and pretty unrelenting. You will complete a renal course in about three weeks, a semester of biochem in a week, and An endocrinology course in two weeks. You will essentially memorize all of medical microbiology in two weeks. Second year your assigned reading is Big Robbins. You would fail our exams only using Pathoma and/or First Aid.

Its very tough and expectations are high. But all of this is to make sure each class performs at the very top in both boards and clinical rotations and so far its proven its worth. :)

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app
Wow that is intense but the numbers don't lie! How do you even adjust that pace? I guess it helps being in it with lots of other like minded people.

Wow that is intense but the numbers don't lie! How do you even adjust that pace? I guess it helps being in it with lots of other like minded people.

The school does there best to create a strong support system while you start. Sef the first semester can be quite a shock but so far eveyone survives! Your seniors will also be there to tutor you and tive you tips to survive!

The curriclum is really designed in a way to ensure that you have a solid base of knowledge so you can understand multi system pathophysiology come second year. The pathologists second year are unique and do their very. est go help you understand all the diseases you need to know for boards.

Reactions: 2 users

As @AlteredScale stated (although I may question scales sobriety based on the last post), the adjustment is tough, and 12 weeks in I'm still adjusting. Your first midterm is exactly 1 week after you start classes, and it doesn't stop from there. In fact, add in standardized patients, labs, and grand rounds (I know everyone loves getting those emails), it can be a real mind f...k. (Yes, I am writing this while studying for a 3 hour final on Monday after an anatomy lab practical today).

Each person finds their own way to cope/survive. The second year students help as much as they can, which is awesome.

On a side note, I do wish they could find some time in the curriculum to add some breaks, or a day off in between blocks to recharge. For example, MSK final is on Monday afternoon, and Cardio starts at 8am on Tuesday with a mandatory competency in the afternoon.

Gotta run. The 27 variations of claw hand aren't gonna diffuse into my brain on it's own.

Reactions: 7 users
As @AlteredScale stated (although I may question scales sobriety based on the last post), the adjustment is tough, and 12 weeks in I'm still adjusting. Your first midterm is exactly 1 week after you start classes, and it doesn't stop from there. In fact, add in standardized patients, labs, and grand rounds (I know everyone loves getting those emails), it can be a real mind f...k. (Yes, I am writing this while studying for a 3 hour final on Monday after an anatomy lab practical today).

Each person finds their own way to cope/survive. The second year students help as much as they can, which is awesome.

On a side note, I do wish they could find some time in the curriculum to add some breaks, or a day off in between blocks to recharge. For example, MSK final is on Monday afternoon, and Cardio starts at 8am on Tuesday with a mandatory competency in the afternoon.

Gotta run. The 27 variations of claw hand aren't gonna diffuse into my brain on it's own.

Good luck on Monday man! MSK almost over

Reactions: 1 users

Ha! I suck at typing on my iPad sober. Couldn't imagine what'd I would type with a few whiskeys down.

Ugh those grand round emails!!!!!!

Not only the grand rounds emails, which I hate, but today I got an email from "KCU Admissions" which got my heart going a bit faster. Then I read it and it was a "reminder to submit my secondary application" which I submitted like 4 days ago...ugh!

Does anyone know how many family members we can bring to the white coat ceremony?

MS1 students, could you please share your current schedule or what a typical week for you is?

There is no specific schedule "type" as it varies week to week but for the most part you ca expect to have class from 8am to 12pm. Sometimes it's 9am. Sometimes to even 10am when you start.

The afternoons are saves for clinical med/osteopathic labs as well as gross anatomy labs once that portion of the curriculum starts (about 1.5 months after orientation).

About 2-4 hrs each week are dedicated to osteopathic skills first year. That comes down to two hours almost every other week second year.

Clinical med is a weekly thing.

Gross anatomy is most of first year. Second will make up for it with a huge amount of reading material to study between pathology physio pharmacology and clinical medicine.

There is an exam almost every other week usually on mondays but sometimes there's a Friday exam in there as well.

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone know how many family members we can bring to the white coat ceremony?

They had no limit this year. You just told them how many you needed. The ceremony was at Kauffman performing arts center, so there's were a fair amount of seats.

Reactions: 1 users
I understand they'll send a follow up email regarding deposit and deadlines. But could current students shed light on how much it would cost and when we have to pay it to secure a spot in the Class of 2021?

I understand they'll send a follow up email regarding deposit and deadlines. But could current students shed light on how much it would cost and when we have to pay it to secure a spot in the Class of 2021?
Just jumping in because I saw this on the CIB, but KCU follows normal AACOMAS traffic guidelines, meaning that if you are admitted before Nov. 15 you have until Dec. 14 to pay your $1,000 deposit :)

Just jumping in because I saw this on the CIB, but KCU follows normal AACOMAS traffic guidelines, meaning that if you are admitted before Nov. 15 you have until Dec. 14 to pay your $1,000 deposit :)

Thanks for the reply!