Kansas City University (KCUMB-COM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Sorry for the ignorant question but is that how the federal loans work? You have to pay first and then they give you a refund check?
Yea generally speaking, thats how it worked for undergrad at least. But the thing is the refund timing seems to vary dramatically by school. I had one school I went to who gave it to us weeks into the semester, and when you ask them why that is, they would say "it is impossible to get it earlier." Then I went to another school who gave us our refunds like a week before school started I think... Heck my wife's grad program wont give it until like 3-4 weeks into the semester, its bananas.

I think technically the schools have to disperse them within 14 days of the 1st day of classes or something, but they find ways to go around it and stretch it.

Members don't see this ad.

So maybe I will just have to use a credit card and then use the refund to pay it back a few weeks later. Thats about the only way I see this going down logistically.

Anyone feel like selling me a new macbook for like $200 haha?

Reactions: 1 user
So maybe I will just have to use a credit card and then use the refund to pay it back a few weeks later. Thats about the only way I see this going down logistically.

Anyone feel like selling me a new macbook for like $200 haha?

Hey my friend might have one!

Members don't see this ad :)
Others would have better insight than me (not using fed loans for first year) but I believe for med school you get your disbursement from the gov and then pay KCUMB. I remember getting emails from admins saying they were going to work wiTh students who hadn't received their loans yet, so I don't think you pay then get refunded...@chizeledfrmstone or @Eremba probably have better answers than I do.

fudge... well it looks like I am going to have to find creative ways to get some money for books and a laptop. Though I imagine I wont have to buy all of the books right off the bat, since it is systems based.

For the first 14 days you could probably get by with PDF versions.

Others would have better insight than me (not using fed loans for first year) but I believe for med school you get your disbursement from the gov and then pay KCUMB. I remember getting emails from admins saying they were going to work wiTh students who hadn't received their loans yet, so I don't think you pay then get refunded...@chizeledfrmstone or @Eremba probably have better answers than I do.

Lucky b*astard.

Reactions: 1 users
how is that possible? Scholarship?

Tomorrow marks two weeks since I got a complete email telling me they'd have a decision for me within two weeks. Should I call Thursday, if I don't hear something tomorrow?

For what it's worth my interview group today had about 27 males to 3 females

I would hope the class ratio isn't that one-sided. Doubt it would ever be, but you never know. My interview was pretty evenly split between male/female.

Members don't see this ad :)
When will I get a follow - up email? I got accepted over a while ago but still havent received anything that explains about financial aid, required courses to finish, and other important things....

When will I get a follow - up email? I got accepted over a while ago but still havent received anything that explains about financial aid, required courses to finish, and other important things....

The "follow up email" is just instructions on how to submit a deposit and by when. They provide a link to the Matriculation page of their website which will have more information on what you need to do before starting. But courses and financial aid are already available on their website. They list their advice for filing for aid and the course requirements are in the admissions. Hope that helps!

how is that possible? Scholarship?

I worked for the past year and a half and lived at home, so I saved pretty much everything I earned. That's covering my first semester and living expenses for the year. I'm borrowing the second semester from my parents, so I'm not really debt free, but they're not making me pay interest on it. The goal was to eliminate interest and save 50-60k in the long run. My budget is really tight right now though, sometimes I wish I had taken out fed aid, haha. There are scholarships available though! They're tough to get and not a ton, but an extra couple thousand dollars is always nice.

I worked for the past year and a half and lived at home, so I saved pretty much everything I earned. That's covering my first semester and living expenses for the year. I'm borrowing the second semester from my parents, so I'm not really debt free, but they're not making me pay interest on it. The goal was to eliminate interest and save 50-60k in the long run. My budget is really tight right now though, sometimes I wish I had taken out fed aid, haha. There are scholarships available though! They're tough to get and not a ton, but an extra couple thousand dollars is always nice.
Yea I mean I have seen some of the big ones but you need like a 3.9 gpa and 30+ MCAT. I dont qualify for any of the major scholarships that they have. And unfortunately my wife and I are pretty much living month to month so there is no way for me to really save anything, heck I will probably have to use credit cards for a laptop and books :(. But it is what it is. I am going to be riding the fed loan pony into the sunset.

Reactions: 3 users
To any current student or potential student who knows about CT living: do you happen to know how the prices compare to other places in KC? And how are the apartments as far as management/maintenance/quality?

Trying to make a list of potential places to live so I can compare living expenses with other schools and CT seems the most convenient. Thanks for anyone's help! =]

To any current student or potential student who knows about CT living: do you happen to know how the prices compare to other places in KC? And how are the apartments as far as management/maintenance/quality?

Trying to make a list of potential places to live so I can compare living expenses with other schools and CT seems the most convenient. Thanks for anyone's help! =]
same.. I am curious as well

Interviewed on the 24th of September and waiting with baited breath to hear...
If you have baited breath, do not expect a successful career in medicine. However, if you are waiting with BATED breath, by all means, grab a beer and relax until you get the good news.

If you have baited breath, do not expect a successful career in medicine. However, if you are waiting with BATED breath, by all means, grab a beer and relax until you get the good news.
Hahaha.
9/24 reporting in, no news yet but it has only been 1 week :p We got much more time before having "bated breath"

Hey guys I have been accepted but never received an email indicating missing course work , I know I am missing bichem and I am taking it now but I am worried I might be missing one credit bio and an English class should I ask them ? Any thoughts on this I just want to be ready
Thanks

Hey guys I have been accepted but never received an email indicating missing course work , I know I am missing bichem and I am taking it now but I am worried I might be missing one credit bio and an English class should I ask them ? Any thoughts on this I just want to be ready
Thanks
You can go on aacomas and check the application that they had released to kcumb. I believe that PDF shows what you are still deficit in. But calling the school would also work!

You can go on aacomas and check the application that they had released to kcumb. I believe that PDF shows what you are still deficit in. But calling the school would also work!
I did and it doesn't show bichem so I am enrolled in that it shows English but some other schools have said it didn't meet their req and the bio portion I have 11 hours 3 without lab I am just wondering if they haven't emailed any missing course work if that means you are ok

I did and it doesn't show bichem so I am enrolled in that it shows English but some other schools have said it didn't meet their req and the bio portion I have 11 hours 3 without lab I am just wondering if they haven't emailed any missing course work if that means you are ok
Hmmm. You should definitely email them to confirm about it just to be extra sure. You don't want your acceptance to get revoked last minute due to not meeting their prereqs.

It's been over a month since my primary was submitted and I still haven't received a secondary. Should I call and see where my app stands?

Awesome. Thanks for the grammar check.

Just putting this out there again since it seems it got lost in another discussion! @chizledfrmstone and @Stagg737 - any advice? Thanks in advance! :)

Just putting this out there again since it seems it got lost in another discussion! @chizledfrmstone and @Stagg737 - any advice? Thanks in advance! :)

Michelle Sparks.

She is a realtor that works with KCUMB students and helps them find apartments.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I actually have no clue how financial aid works....lol.
I am HPSP. :)

So interviewed on Tuesday and got an email today asking if I plan to take biochem if offered admission.....is this standard or does this indicate they're thinking about accepting me??

So interviewed on Tuesday and got an email today asking if I plan to take biochem if offered admission.....is this standard or does this indicate they're thinking about accepting me??

Biochem is a requirement from them so I'm sure that they would need to know that you'll have it completed before matriculation before they can make a decision. Either way, as long as you're planning to do, sounds like good news could be on the way!

Should I call them and ask about the status of my application? It's now been over two weeks since I received a complete email, and the email said they'd get back to me within two weeks.

Sounds like good news to me! Also, general advice for incoming students: if you have the chance to take biochem or immunology during undergrad, do it. It will probably help your transition here immensely if you are at least a little familiar with the material as opposed to trying to learn everything at a pace you've never experienced before.

IMO, CT is expensive. I live in a 2 bedroom 2 bathroom apartment that includes parking, water, and trash for 1100/month that's a 5 minute drive from campus (quality hill). If you do some research you can definitely find much better deals than CT. Like Chizeledfrmstone said, contact Michelle Sparks. She'll work with students for free and can help find some great places. CT does have advantages like living with tons of other students, being close to campus, etc., but if you've got a family or don't want a dorm feeling I wouldn't recommend it.

Padmapper.com is a great resource. Lots of features to hone in on exactly what you're wanting in housing, with an endless amount of options cheaper than CT. The 'walkability' overlay is super helpful. As a KC native, my advice would be not to live east of the campus, as it definitely gets seedy lol. Rivermarket, Financial District, Westport, and Country Club Plaza areas are all viable options within a 15 min drive.

Yea they send the decision both through email and snail mail.

I appreciate that they email! Being from the west coast, and out of country that helps. Even if its a rejection, at least I would know sooner that the weeks it would take the postal service. other schools need to adopt email! its the 21st century..

I appreciate that they email! Being from the west coast, and out of country that helps. Even if its a rejection, at least I would know sooner that the weeks it would take the postal service. other schools need to adopt email! its the 21st century..

Do a lot of schools use snail mail for decisions? I was under the impression that email was the preferred method for most schools.

Do we need to inform the university of our travel plans? I remember seeing something like that when selecting an interview date, but I can't be sure. Did anyone else let the school know about their flight and such?

Do we need to inform the university of our travel plans? I remember seeing something like that when selecting an interview date, but I can't be sure. Did anyone else let the school know about their flight and such?

Yes, you should let them know. They schedule your interview time according to your plans so that you won't miss your flight. Just send them an email stating when you are getting in/flying out.