Kansas City University (KCUMB-COM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm guessing you were on a quarter system correct? Quarter units are not equivalent to semester credits. 3 quarter hours = 2 credits hours.
From AACOMAS (sorry for janky format):
Quarter HoursSemester Hours
1 = 0.7
2 = 1.3
3 = 2.0
4 = 2.7
5 = 3.3
6 = 4.0
7 = 4.7
8 = 5.3
9 = 6.0
10 = 6.7
Indeed, Quarter system.

Members don't see this ad.

Giving up my acceptance here, I hope it goes to another deserving applicant here! Best of luck you all!

Reactions: 1 users
Crossing my fingers and hoping I hear back from KCUMB this week!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
So I am looking into places to live around KC. Someone posted a link to a post I think last year that had a very detailed description of all these different areas. Does anyone know what I am talking about?

Congrats too all those who've been accepted. My interview is on 11/11! I'd like to make a friend or two before going to the interview so please let me know if you are interviewing on the same day :)

I'm interviewing that day too! Super excited and pretty darn nervous as it's my first choice. Luckily I'll get to stay in town for a couple days to get a feel for it. Are there any current KCUMB students (or anybody really) who knows of anyone willing to let interviewees couch surf for a night? I'm trying to complete the whole interview process as cheaply as possible due to limited funds.
Also, for everyone whose already interviewed, how did the interview go for you? Any big surprises or things you wished you'd done differently?

So I am looking into places to live around KC. Someone posted a link to a post I think last year that had a very detailed description of all these different areas. Does anyone know what I am talking about?

I'm looking at some of the lofts near the school. They look sweet.

I'm interviewing that day too! Super excited and pretty darn nervous as it's my first choice. Luckily I'll get to stay in town for a couple days to get a feel for it. Are there any current KCUMB students (or anybody really) who knows of anyone willing to let interviewees couch surf for a night? I'm trying to complete the whole interview process as cheaply as possible due to limited funds.
Also, for everyone whose already interviewed, how did the interview go for you? Any big surprises or things you wished you'd done differently?

I am too! I am in the same boat- if any current students don't mind letting my crash on a couch or the floor, I would appreciate it haha. I'm going broke flying out to places and staying at hotels

I dont know what post youre referring too but whats ur situation? Family? Single? I spent 3 days looking at houses andstuff around kc and even tho I dont live there I feel like I know a ton about it.

I dont know what post youre referring too but whats ur situation? Family? Single? I spent 3 days looking at houses andstuff around kc and even tho I dont live there I feel like I know a ton about it.
Living with my fiancé. Wanna live in safe location and hopefully a condo within 30 min of campus

Blue springs and anything north of briarcliff parkway are amazing areas. My wife and I will definitely move to blue springs

Blue springs is 20 mins away from campus and has the small suburbia town feel with all the amenities. Briarcliff is 10 mins from campus but is the ritzy area right outside of kc. There are nice nice condos and apartments there (not really affordable houses) but if ur looking for a good 2 bedroom next to malls and close to school that would be the place. And yes I would definitely take into account no traffic or snow = 10 mins

Members don't see this ad :)
How bad is the snowy weather? Haha.

I asked the locals this when I went to interview and they responded " sometimes it's not too bad, other times it is." Lol

I just looked up some places in blue springs and it's a really nice area - yet the rent is still super cheap! This is such a pleasant surprise! Coming from California, I can't believe my eyes when I see a spacious 2 bedroom for only 700$ lol

Apparently there are a fee apartment buildings located very close to the campus too, I've been looking into those. One of them even allows up to 2 pets!

Apparently there are a fee apartment buildings located very close to the campus too, I've been looking into those. One of them even allows up to 2 pets!

There are a good amount of them that look amazing actually. I'm considering a few personally when I come here to find a place to Ikea up.

Im considering blue springs because I have a wife and 3 kids. I dont think you can get a house too close to campus and in a safe neighborhood. I havent looked at apartments but they did give us that apt guide from ii day. Dont know if anyone looked that up?

You guys are going to regret living so far away from campus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I live 20 min from campus, not too far from Blue Springs actually,and I don't regret it. Every situation is different, and as a parent I certainly understand some of the things you need to take into consideration. School district quality is at the top of the list and the school district around campus is not the best.

I have been in KC for more than a decade and used to commute 45 min one way to school, so I know what winter can do to your route, I still don't think 20 min is bad.

Anyway, any one is free to pm me,especially people with family weighing options including good school districts

I live 20 min from campus, not too far from Blue Springs actually,and I don't regret it. Every situation is different, and as a parent I certainly understand some of the things you need to take into consideration. School district quality is at the top of the list and the school district around campus is not the best.

I have been in KC for more than a decade and used to commute 45 min one way to school, so I know what winter can do to your route, I still don't think 20 min is bad.

Anyway, any one is free to pm me,especially people with family weighing options including good school districts

True, the older students always make it work and I understand there are different considerations.

For the younger folk with no kids, I highly recommend you live closer to campus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Who is going to admits day and what do you think we should wear? suits again?

UGH I want to go to accepted student day so bad but I really can't take off work (since I already did before for the interview) I'm pretty sure there is another one in the spring, has anyone else heard this?

UGH I want to go to accepted student day so bad but I really can't take off work (since I already did before for the interview) I'm pretty sure there is another one in the spring, has anyone else heard this?
Im pretty sure they mentioned that there is a spring date as well.

I emailed them last week asking about a possible spring date since I can't go this week either (but I expect to hear plenty from those that do go!) - hopefully they'll get back to me soon

I am pretty sure that all of us who interviewed the week of 10/13 will be hearing back about our decisions this week! I am wearing my KCUMB shirt tomorrow for luck! Anyway, good luck everyone! I hope we all get to be classmates soon! =]=]

Reactions: 3 users
Interviewing this week! Anyone who has already interviewed have any advice or tips? Especially regarding the ethical questions...

Interviewing this week! Anyone who has already interviewed have any advice or tips? Especially regarding the ethical questions...
I didn't have a single ethical question. They only have access to your secondary so make sure you go over what you wrote there.

The best thing to do is just go through this thread and find the interview days because then you'll get a lot of different answers instead of people rewriting it all again here (which they probably won't do haha). It's tedious, but assuming you want to get in, I think it'll be worth your time to look back and read everything =] Good luck!!

Be yourself...show them why you love medicine and show them why you will be a good doctor! It's all about you as a person at this stage, so represent your personality!

The best thing to do is just go through this thread and find the interview days because then you'll get a lot of different answers instead of people rewriting it all again here (which they probably won't do haha). It's tedious, but assuming you want to get in, I think it'll be worth your time to look back and read everything =] Good luck!!
Haha yeah I actually read through the entire thread. No one really covered the ethical questions though so that's why I asked! :)

They asked me if I witnessed or experienced any ethical situations in my clinical experiences. Then after I named something, they asked me how I would handle it.

I called and asked about the 10/15 interview date and admissions told me it went to committee today!

just need to take a nap so time can go by faster :dead:

I'm at school right now, wishing I could take a nap!

My application was supposedly released on 10/9 (although one school sent me a secondary the day before) and I have yet to hear anything from this school other than a generic email saying "check us out." I understand they're busy, it just seems crazy they can be this busy. Can somebody adjust my expectations?
My stats, in case it matters:
30 MCAT (11 PS / 10VR / 9 BS)
3.73 overall GPA, 3.82 science
physiology major

this is the busiest time of year and youre applying a little late. I had to wait 1 month after being complete to get an II. I know they screen hard for secondaries and interviews so since it hasn't even been a month yet it doesn't seem out of the ordinary to me. If you want you can definitely call them to see if they got it all - alot of schools wait on MCAT scores if you have any pending too.

Thanks. I have nothing outstanding right now. I've called at least three times and left a message with my contact information. Is there a best time to call?

theyre in committee today so theyre super busy. Just keep trying or try tomorrow my best guess.

ACCEPPTEED!! Interviewed on 10/15 :D wooohooooo

Reactions: 5 users
Haha I'll tell you it's in the middle of the alphabet :p

Interviewed 10/20. Sounds like I'll have another week of waiting!