Lake Erie - Bradenton (LECOM-Bradenton) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah Im reposting again. Could someone please tell me if it is normal for me to have to schedule an interview that is 3 months away? Im very excited but it seems so far to schedule. Also I didn't know people got call for interviews haha!

Members don't see this ad :)
For those interviewing in November, do they still offer the option to defer a decision or do early decision? Is this even an option at this point?

Yeah Im reposting again. Could someone please tell me if it is normal for me to have to schedule an interview that is 3 months away? Im very excited but it seems so far to schedule. Also I didn't know people got call for interviews haha!

I read through last years thread and there seems to be a lot of variability, although there were some people who had their interviews scheduled far in advance. I can't speak to this year as I was called on a Friday because there was a cancellation and asked if I was available the next Friday. I chose not to defer and called the following Tuesday to get my decision. It was a quick process for me but I believe that's largely due to the manner in which I got my interview invite.

canceled my interview for the 15th if anyone wants it

I got waitlisted from my 11/1 interview. I thought the interview went really well, but apparently LECOM-B didn't think it went well enough. I'm gonna send Ashley a letter of intent to see if that sways the admissions committee..

Has anyone done this before? What should I say? does this seem desperate to send a LOI so early in the cycle?

I got waitlisted from my 11/1 interview. I thought the interview went really well, but apparently LECOM-B didn't think it went well enough. I'm gonna send Ashley a letter of intent to see if that sways the admissions committee..

Has anyone done this before? What should I say? does this seem desperate to send a LOI so early in the cycle?

When I was there for my interview they said you can, and should, send updates as often as you want. I stayed and talked after because my scores are lower than their stats. Mr. Shively talked with me for 5 minutes and coached me on what to say. I wrote a letter then and there which they attached to my file. It must've work because I was accepted! I say go for it.

When I was there for my interview they said you can, and should, send updates as often as you want. I stayed and talked after because my scores are lower than their stats. Mr. Shively talked with me for 5 minutes and coached me on what to say. I wrote a letter then and there which they attached to my file. It must've work because I was accepted! I say go for it.
O wow! Yea then I'm definitely gonna send a LOI. What kind of stuff did he tell you to say? I assume you just build yourself up and talk about why you'd be a good match for LECOM's program?

Did they send you an email saying you were waitlisted? I haven't received one yet

O wow! Yea then I'm definitely gonna send a LOI. What kind of stuff did he tell you to say? I assume you just build yourself up and talk about why you'd be a good match for LECOM's program?

Yeah for me specifically my MCAT is quite a bit lower than their average (he said they're average right now was a 30), so we focused on my education at a liberal arts school and how that might have not prepared me as well as I would have liked. Additionally, he wanted me to demonstrate that I can handle the stress associated with PBL so I talked about school, baseball, etc. and the fact that I'm in an EMT course that mimics PBL, working at the GAP, and volunteering at the hospital in my year off. Also, during the day they also mentioned that MCAT scores do not correlate to success in PBL, so I implored that they give me the opportunity to prove that.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ohh ok that is what mine says. I am scared to call haha at first I thought that was a rejection and I was so sad

Also just another quick question. I heard lecom drug tests, I was just wondering whether this was on interview day or after acceptance?

Also just another quick question. I heard lecom drug tests, I was just wondering whether this was on interview day or after acceptance?

This is prior to matriculation. Probably sometime next year.

Question: I was admitted to lecom-sh. I had also applied to lecom-b and would be interested to check it out. On the portal, it says the my file is now under review. It is still possible to get an ii to lecom-b, even though I was admitted to lecom-sh, right? lecom-erie and lecom-b are 2 different administrative branches?

Ok cool! And yes its is possible to get an interview at both campuses, they are different schools; the same as MWU.

My other Question: 1)How long does an interview acceptance/rejection take?
2) How long do we have to respond to an acceptance in case were waiting for other schools to give us a status update?

Ok cool! And yes its is possible to get an interview at both campuses, they are different schools; the same as MWU.

My other Question: 1)How long does an interview acceptance/rejection take?
2) How long do we have to respond to an acceptance in case were waiting for other schools to give us a status update?

The answer to your first question is that it varies greatly. Some people get them right away, others don't hear anything until they're rejected. I was complete mid august, heard nothing until late September. They called me with a cancellation and I scheduled an interview for the next week.

To number two, I think now they're going by AACOMAS traffic deadlines. I don't believe they offer an early/late decision anymore. So I'd look at those deadlines, it varies depending on the date they notify you. Hope this helps!

The answer to your first question is that it varies greatly. Some people get them right away, others don't hear anything until they're rejected. I was complete mid august, heard nothing until late September. They called me with a cancellation and I scheduled an interview for the next week.

To number two, I think now they're going by AACOMAS traffic deadlines. I don't believe they offer an early/late decision anymore. So I'd look at those deadlines, it varies depending on the date they notify you. Hope this helps!

Great! That helps a lot bud!

Hey guys! Is anyone here interviewing tomorrow? Can anyone who has already interviewed shed light on the group interview? I know some specific questions have been discussed previously in the thread, but I'm wondering if there are any application specific questions or only general questions that everyone has a chance to discuss? Any insight would be greatly appreciated!! I can't seem to access the interview feedback pages.

It was very laid back. They did not address specific questions about applications in my group. They mainly asked about PBL and healthcare and the whole group just fed off each others answers and kept the conversation going.

You see its the healthcare bit that's really freakin me out. Are there are any particularly pertinent topics we should have down? Is there a website where I can go to read this up? I know a big one was the whole doctor assisted suicide thing

You see its the healthcare bit that's really freakin me out. Are there are any particularly pertinent topics we should have down? Is there a website where I can go to read this up? I know a big one was the whole doctor assisted suicide thing

I know this doesn't exactly answer your question but the interview questions varies from group to group. When I interviewed there were no health care related questions.

Hey guys,

I was wondering if I should hold off from sending my letters in until I get my II. It says on their portal that letters are required ONLY if you are invited.
I completed mine 10/21.

I know this doesn't exactly answer your question but the interview questions varies from group to group. When I interviewed there were no health care related questions.

Yes. Every group varies. The first question my group got asked was"so what do you think about healthcare?"

I submitted my secondary in July to both Erie and Bradenton at the same time and I paid my $50 to each school and my bank statements show this, but I received an email from Bradenton a few weeks ago saying I never paid so I just went on and paid again. I emailed them and told my situation but they just assumed I never paid so I got jipped because they should have reviewed my application in July or August. I doubt there is anything I can do but does anyone have suggestions? And I already interviewed at Erie so I did submit my application properly.

Last edited:
Does anyone know how long it is taking to receive post secondary rejections? I have been complete since August and haven't heard a word.

Does anyone know how long it is taking to receive post secondary rejections? I have been complete since August and haven't heard a word.
I was complete mid September and hadn't heard anything. I called admissions yesterday and spoke to a very nice woman. (I can't remember her name) She basically told me that my file has been reviewed but no decision has been made yet. So I guess I'm sitting squarely in the "maybe" pile.
Not great news, but better than a rejection.

I was complete mid September and hadn't heard anything. I called admissions yesterday and spoke to a very nice woman. (I can't remember her name) She basically told me that my file has been reviewed but no decision has been made yet. So I guess I'm sitting squarely in the "maybe" pile.
Not great news, but better than a rejection.

I think this is somewhat above "maybe." Those who are truly maybe get the status "your app will be reviewed in 90 days." I believe you're in the pile of those they want to interview, I just don't know how close to the top you are in that pile. I know it's still not what you want to hear but it's better than most alternatives.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello there! I interviewed this past Friday. I absolutely LOVED IT!!! We had the chance to go and see what PBL was all about. If you like self-directed learning, and don't mind learning on your own this is definitely the school for our. The building makes you feel as if you are working in the field already. Everyone seemed so nice!!! I LOVED IT

As for the interview itself, it was a group interview that included six of us. I think the questions actually depend on the group as we answer previous questions. It is more of a conversation between people who want to know more about you. No hard questions at all. I felt really comfortable.
Good luck to everyone! Feel free to PM :)

Is it too late to apply? Already verified. 26 MCAT/3.4 cGPA/DO letter. Thanks!

I really hate this new SDN layout. I don't know how to search within a thread. I wish they could go back to the original design.

Anyway, I wanted to search Sarasota airport. I would rather land at the Sarasota Airport (20 min away from Bradenton). Anything wrong with this idea? What hotel should I stay at? I would rather have a 20 min tax ride to the hotel and then have the taxi drop me off at LECOM for the interview in the morning. Is this feasible? Any advice about logistics for people who have traveled to Bradenton? Thank you.

I really hate this new SDN layout. I don't know how to search within a thread. I wish they could go back to the original design.

Anyway, I wanted to search Sarasota airport. I would rather land at the Sarasota Airport (20 min away from Bradenton). Anything wrong with this idea? What hotel should I stay at? I would rather have a 20 min tax ride to the hotel and then have the taxi drop me off at LECOM for the interview in the morning. Is this feasible? Any advice about logistics for people who have traveled to Bradenton? Thank you.

Don't know how old you are, but if you're able to rent a car, I would advise it. If you can't rent, you can ignore this advice.
When I went to LECOM-B, it was cheapest from the midwest to fly to Tampa and drive a rental to Bradenton, even considering gas costs. Taxis were too expensive to get from the Sarasota/Tampa airport to Bradenton, and the trips from hotel to LECOM and back. And you lose a lot of convenience trying to rely on taxis to get around. Unfortunately, I know rentals are not feasible for many applicants. But even with extra fees tacked on for an under 25 driver, it may still be cheaper to just rent for a couple of days rather than taxi.

I am curious if it would be even cheaper to fly into Orlando. I took my kids to downtown disney after I interviewed and it wasnt too far. Maybe an hour and a half.

Accepted today after receiving deferred decision via snail mail! I'll be declining so I hope it goes to a SDNer waiting!

Reactions: 1 user
Accepted!! I am not sure what I am doing yet...this was my first ii and I have 4 more. Loved the school though so I may have to out down that deposit!

Accepted today after receiving deferred decision via snail mail! I'll be declining so I hope it goes to a SDNer waiting!
Hoping it goes to this SDNer! Alternate list notification received today via snail mail. :(

I was waitlisted from here in late September. Hoping they start accepting from the waitlist soon.
Yeah, I need to call and confirm my alternate spot, apparently. My letter was dated Nov 6, and I just received it today. It has that nice bit about "make sure you tell us that you still want to be on the alternate list within two weeks or you're gone forever." I'm like AH OKAY

"The Admissions Committee has made a decision on your application. You will receive an official letter in the mail within 30 days." I figure this is a rejection since I haven't interviewed yet. I would like to know what I could do to make my app stronger for next year, would it be appropriate to call? I have a 3.8 gps and 27 mcat, and was complete early-mid October. Could my submission date be the reason for a rejection? A little insight would be greatly appreciated!

You may still get an ii, your stats are not gonna keep you from getting an ii.

This school has one of the worst interview scheduling systems ever! I picked a date, and booked a flight for a Dec 2nd interview, but now I'm getting paranoid that it was actually Dec. 8th or something (which is a Sunday, so someone please tell me that they don't interview Sundays so I can relax)..

Even when I called, they seemed to not care and kept repeating that they would send a confirmation a couple weeks before the interview or something and didn't look up my date to confirm. No emails or any references to my interview date on the portal either :confused:...

This school has one of the worst interview scheduling systems ever! I picked a date, and booked a flight for a Dec 2nd interview, but now I'm getting paranoid that it was actually Dec. 8th or something (which is a Sunday, so someone please tell me that they don't interview Sundays so I can relax)..

Even when I called, they seemed to not care and kept repeating that they would send a confirmation a couple weeks before the interview or something and didn't look up my date to confirm. No emails or any references to my interview date on the portal either :confused:...
I am pretty sure they dont not do interviews on sunday. I think they said the do it every Friday and maybe one other day.

I know this school raves about their high comlex pass rates, but I was wondering about the focus on usmle here.
I am interested in a specialty and would eventually like to take both exams. However during my interview I got the impression the students were only concerned with the comlex. I even asked a current student about usmle prep and they told me the school doesn't focus on that or something.

Am I getting the wrong idea? If not, I'll choose a school where students are encouraged to take both exams if they desire.

Any insight on this is appreciated.

Just got back from the post office, deposit is officially in the mail! I am so excited for next year.

I know this school raves about their high comlex pass rates, but I was wondering about the focus on usmle here.
I am interested in a specialty and would eventually like to take both exams. However during my interview I got the impression the students were only concerned with the comlex. I even asked a current student about usmle prep and they told me the school doesn't focus on that or something.

Am I getting the wrong idea? If not, I'll choose a school where students are encouraged to take both exams if they desire.

Any insight on this is appreciated.

The students/administrators I talked to didn't mention anything about specific USMLE on their own; however, one student did ask about those scores when they brought up COMLEX scores. They didn't mention any prep they offered but they did state that their averages were roughly 50 points above average for USMLE just like COMLEX. So I can't speak to what prep students do but it seems as though you will still be pretty well prepared for it.