Lake Erie - Bradenton (LECOM-Bradenton) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think they told my interview group they had 20 or so take the usmle and like 10 scored 90%. Don't hold me to those numbers though... Can anyone else confirm?

Members don't see this ad.

Just got back from the post office, deposit is officially in the mail! I am so excited for next year.

The students/administrators I talked to didn't mention anything about specific USMLE on their own; however, one student did ask about those scores when they brought up COMLEX scores. They didn't mention any prep they offered but they did state that their averages were roughly 50 points above average for USMLE just like COMLEX. So I can't speak to what prep students do but it seems as though you will still be pretty well prepared for it.

Yeah, that's good to know. It just seemed that the students were steered toward primary care and COMLEX. It could of just been the one student I spoke to, but it did concern me to be honest. Because students at other interviews I attended were very upfront about addressing preparation for comlex AND usmle.

Anyways, I know it's a great school and I wish you the best of luck! I still may end up here if I can finally come to a decision!

I just got my acceptance letter, but honestly I have a few reservations about the school. I have ~4 weeks to make a decision, so maybe that will change. The prosected cadavers, rotation site quality, and atmosphere of the school just didn't seem like a good fit for my goals/personality.

Regarding the statements above talking about board scores: I remember the average COMLEX score being ~50 points over other schools. I remember being told that the top 1/2 of the class is allowed to take the USMLE, but didn't get any numbers regarding performance on it. They could not have an average on the USMLE that is 50 points above average, that is NOT possible seeing as average is 220-225 and the (theoretical) max is 300. On the interview trail, I also heard (not sure if true, please correct me if it's wrong) that students at LECOM take an exam to qualify for taking the COMLEX, which is why they can advertise a 100% pass rate.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know a little while back people were saying that when their status says "a decision has beem made about your application, you will recieve a letter ..." that means a rejection. Well, I just recieved my letter in the mail and I was pleased to find it was actually an acceptance! Although I will be declining the acceptance, don't give up hope if thats what your status says!

Also accepted today by snail mail, my first one. Still weighing all my options right now, though.

I know a little while back people were saying that when their status says "a decision has beem made about your application, you will recieve a letter ..." that means a rejection. Well, I just recieved my letter in the mail and I was pleased to find it was actually an acceptance! Although I will be declining the acceptance, don't give up hope if thats what your status says!

I believe people we're saying that regarding your portal status saying that prior to interviewing. As a pre-interview portal status it is a rejection. Post-interview it could be an acceptance, wait list, or rejection.

ohh, yeah that makes much more sense

I just got my acceptance letter, but honestly I have a few reservations about the school. I have ~4 weeks to make a decision, so maybe that will change. The prosected cadavers, rotation site quality, and atmosphere of the school just didn't seem like a good fit for my goals/personality.

Regarding the statements above talking about board scores: I remember the average COMLEX score being ~50 points over other schools. I remember being told that the top 1/2 of the class is allowed to take the USMLE, but didn't get any numbers regarding performance on it. They could not have an average on the USMLE that is 50 points above average, that is NOT possible seeing as average is 220-225 and the (theoretical) max is 300. On the interview trail, I also heard (not sure if true, please correct me if it's wrong) that students at LECOM take an exam to qualify for taking the COMLEX, which is why they can advertise a 100% pass rate.

They place restrictions on who can take the USMLE? What... Is this typical? Does any other school do this? What could be the rationale?

Yeah, it seemed fishy to me and so far I have yet to hear anyone clarify this. If I go to med school, I want to take whichever exam I choose and have the school support my choice rather than tell me which test I should be focusing on.

They place restrictions on who can take the USMLE? What... Is this typical? Does any other school do this? What could be the rationale?
I heard this on interview day from a 2nd year student. If it's true, the school may have realized that people in the bottom 1/2 of the class don't tend to do well or benefit from taking the USMLE. I don't know of any other DO school that does this, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it doesn't happen.

Well I specifically remember them saying one of the people that failed last year was recommended not to take the exam...

Question.... I received an email today from LECOM-B stating that my supplemental application has been processed even though I submitted it way back in September and was confirmed then that my application was under review. Then, I decided to check out the online portal and my status says something along the lines of "The admissions committee has made a decision regarding your application. You will be notified within 30-days by an official letter in the mail."
I am not naive, so what it really sounds like is that I was rejected pre-interview! Why couldnt they just say that on the portal?! haha
Has anyone else has gotten this message or seen that in their portal and know whats up? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Question.... I received an email today from LECOM-B stating that my supplemental application has been processed even though I submitted it way back in September and was confirmed then that my application was under review. Then, I decided to check out the online portal and my status says something along the lines of "The admissions committee has made a decision regarding your application. You will be notified within 30-days by an official letter in the mail."
I am not naive, so what it really sounds like is that I was rejected pre-interview! Why couldnt they just say that on the portal?! haha
Has anyone else has gotten this message or seen that in their portal and know whats up? Thanks!

Hey, I was complete back in august for both lecom-sh and lecom-b. For lecom-sh, I got the update email, then the portal said I was invited for an interview. I recently got the e-mail from lecom-b but it just says my file is under review. Lecom-sh did not tell me about my admission any way ot her than snail mail--they don't notify via e-mail but they may over phone. Similarly, I don't think lecom-b notifies rejection/acceptance online. That's most likely why your portal says that. Sorry to hear about it, hope you get lots of other options!

COMLEX: We do take a bunch of diagnostic tests before the exam to make sure we're ready. If you're not going to pass...do you really want to take it and waste a ton of money? It may allow them to advertise a 100% pass rate but it also helps you out in terms of seeing your weaknesses before you take the actual test.
USMLE: Anyone is allowed to take it. That being said, it's not recommended for students towards the bottom of the class because they don't tend to do as well and that's typically why the "top half" of the class takes it.
They focus on prepping you for COMLEX but most of the material overlaps so a lot of people just get review books and question banks to adequately prepare for both.

Accepted via snail mail yesterday. OOS, interviewed 8/23, 3.9, 38. Deferred acceptance until Nov 5.

Not keen on sending $1,500.

COMLEX: We do take a bunch of diagnostic tests before the exam to make sure we're ready. If you're not going to pass...do you really want to take it and waste a ton of money? It may allow them to advertise a 100% pass rate but it also helps you out in terms of seeing your weaknesses before you take the actual test.
USMLE: Anyone is allowed to take it. That being said, it's not recommended for students towards the bottom of the class because they don't tend to do as well and that's typically why the "top half" of the class takes it.
They focus on prepping you for COMLEX but most of the material overlaps so a lot of people just get review books and question banks to adequately prepare for both.

Hey! I was recently accepted to LECOM-B and have some questions. I have been accepted elsewhere and I'm finding it very hard to decide. Do you mind if I PM you to ask a few questions/get your opinion on some things? Thanks!

withdrew my acceptance this morning
goodluck to the rest of you!!

It says on the site that a decision has been maid and a letter is coming my way, but I did not interview yet. Is this most likely a reject?

It says on the site that a decision has been maid and a letter is coming my way, but I did not interview yet. Is this most likely a reject?

I think so, based only on what I've read on this thread. Did you get an email or just check the portal and notice the change?
I've been complete for 2 months and am waiting for some kind of action from them.

I think so, based only on what I've read on this thread. Did you get an email or just check the portal and notice the change?
I've been complete for 2 months and am waiting for some kind of action from them.
I got an email yesterday basically saying blah blah it could take several weeks. But it didn't say anything about the mail. I wouldn't have found out if I didn't check the portal

Interviewing this Friday.

I'll probably fly in Thursday at the Tampa Airport and then drive to the Holiday Inn Express near LECOM. If anyone wants a ride and is willing to chip in let me know. If you stay at the Holiday Inn you can drive with me to the school the next day.

Last edited:

I got the same portal update from LECOM-B, guess we will find out pretty soon. The other campus says my file is still under review. Hmmm. Best of luck to us!!

Reactions: 1 user
Mailed in my deposit at the end of last week and now my portal status updated, feels real now!

Reactions: 1 user
No i checked my status online and it said that a decision had been made. I called and they told me over the phone

Is this rare to find out their decision over the phone? The committee is meeting today for my ii last week and I want to call them as soon as my portal changes..

Is this rare to find out their decision over the phone? The committee is meeting today for my ii last week and I want to call them as soon as my portal changes..

Definitely not, many of us called for our decisions.

Definitely not, many of us called for our decisions.
Did you call Annette directly or the admissions front desk? Also did your portal change the same day that committee meets or later?

Did you call Annette directly or the admissions front desk? Also did your portal change the same day that committee meets or later?

My portal changed saying a decision had been made so I called and asked for admissions. Annette answered and told me.

I did the same thing the Tuesday afternoon after my interview, definitely call Annette. Its nerve wrecking to get it over the phone (especially as someone who thought they would get rejected) but it was the best news I could've asked for. A lot better than waiting for the letter in the mail.

Anyone complete around 11/4 got interview yet?

Well I just called and I was rejected. I thought I did very well during my interview too so it stings. I was waitlisted by LECOM Erie yesterday too but I thought I bombed that interview..no love from LECOM:(

Well I just called and I was rejected. I thought I did very well during my interview too so it stings. I was waitlisted by LECOM Erie yesterday too but I thought I bombed that interview..no love from LECOM:(

Sorry to hear that. :( Would you mind sharing your stats? I've read quite a few posts on this thread of people getting rejected with above average stats.

Called to check on my status and was informed that I "would not be offered an interview this year." and a letter should be arriving soon to say just that.
Disappointing to get the rejection, but you can't win 'em all.
Good luck to everyone else applying here.

Sept 9 "received", nov 1 "processed"(I thought this was really strange...), II today, dates open all over feb

Sept 9 "received", nov 1 "processed"(I thought this was really strange...), II today, dates open all over feb
Thank you. I ask because I received an invitation in middle of October. And the only dates available they had was January. So it was a three-month backup. That's why was curious how backed up the interviews are. But it makes sense now because you are a month after me and so it's January and February. I was just curious thanks for letting me know.

Oh boy I just sent in my secondary 11/4. If I am offered an interview it will probably be in March. Thank god I already have 4 other IIs. 1 MD 3 DO

Those are my stats exactly.. I am interviewing at both Erie and Bradenton. Seems like a lot of people are getting rejected =( I'm starting to worry!

Don't worry, I was accepted with almost these same stats. Just rock the interview and you'll be fine. :)

Has anyone else received an email stating "The Admissions Committee has reviewed your file and a decision has not yet been made regarding an interview. The Admissions Committee will meet to review your application every 90 days; you will be notified if there is a change in their decision at that time.?"

For those that have been accepted, would you mind sharing some of your extracurricular/volunteering experiences?

Thanks.

Don't worry, I was accepted with almost these same stats. Just rock the interview and you'll be fine. :)
Any advice on "rocking the interview?" I'm afraid that in the group I won't have an original answer or be as well spoken as the others.. Do you think the group interview setup is better than individual interview?