Lake Erie - Bradenton (LECOM-Bradenton) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
They want to see that you can work in groups. Be assertive but not overly aggressive when answering. Each interview group was different so be flexible and ready to change your pre-made answers accordingly.
The questions really vary from group to group, it's less about what you say exactly and more about how you work in a group setting (although don't say anything outrageous either). Mine was really laid back and none of the questions were too hard - one thing I'd work on regardless of the group are answering 'Why PBL?' and know everything you can about that as it is the main focus of the day.

Other than that the interview was pretty relaxing, I personally liked the group setting - it takes the pressure off of you if you don't have your answer right away. Most of all I'd just relax and be yourself. You'll do fine! :)

Thanks for the advice! Do they go around and ask each applicant why medicine and why osteopathic medicine?

Members don't see this ad.

Would anybody be able to shed light on the rotations process? From what I know, students usually pick a location preference in 1st and 2nd year and then I think they are assigned to hospitals in those areas. But I have also heard of students having to take it upon themselves to find places to do their rotations and I wasn't sure if that was for people who decided to stay local or for people who decided they wanted to make their own rotations and go elsewhere?

For rotations the class is split into groups. Each group has their rotations in the same sequence. For my group, #9, we had IM first, followed by Ob/gyn, followed by Peds, etc. So that's how your sequence is done. LECOM emails you a list of groups and the sequences for each, and you submit your 1st/2nd/3rd choice, along with what geographic area you want (because they can't have too many people on the same speciality at the same time in the same area- there aren't that many spots) and they figure it out. There are a few "year-long" positions to go around. This means that you'll do all or most of your rotations at a single site. They are located at specific hospitals at a couple sites among the northern (LECOM-Erie) and southern (LECOM-Bradenton) affiliates. I think there is a lottery system to choose who gets these (not everyone wants one). There is some kind of GPA ranking here too. Usually the people with families want these so they know they won't have to move around.

LECOM (and all other schools) requires "core" rotations - family med, psych, ob/gyn, etc, and they have core affiliates to take students. For these, you submit your 1st/2nd/3rd choice among the core affiliates. You get a list of these at the beginning of the process. The group leaders work out who gets what. We also get second pass at the northern alliliates after Erie students pick their sites.

Sometimes there aren't enough "core affiliates" to go around - like with Peds or Ob/gyn. You could get dropped from a rotation if the agreement between LECOM and the affiliate doesn't work out. Then it's up to you to find something. LECOM will help you find something if you need, but it's usually easier to do it yourself because you can look in a certain location whereas LECOM will put you wherever they can find a spot.

All your electives and selectives are up to you to schedule. You usually call the office and ask to speak to the office manager or you call the hospital education office or medical staffing office.

I did most of my 3rd year rotations around bradenton at the area hospitals and Dr's offices. I had to do Ob-Gyn in Tampa bc I couldn't find anything closer. I also chose to come back up to Buffalo for an elective GI rotation to be around my family.

I will say that clinical rotations are extremely important. When you go on 4th yr audition rotations (trying to impress residencies) or when you actually get to intern year, your performance will depend on the strength of your clinical training moreso than your preclinical training. LECOM has a lot of room to improve here. There are some great rotations. There are also some rotations that are fine and easy bc your preceptors are nice but the training is not necessarily there. We do complete evaluations of rotation sites but I'm not sure what LECOM does with that information. At some of the sites you are just going to get out of it what you put in. If you are highly motivated and curious you will be well trained.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I've declined my acceptance so I hope one of you on the waitlist gets it.

P.S. If you're waitlisted and really want to go here, you need to absolutely make it very clear to the admissions office. Letters and phone calls, do them. Lots of them!

Reactions: 1 user
For rotations the class is split into groups. Each group has their rotations in the same sequence. For my group, #9, we had IM first, followed by Ob/gyn, followed by Peds, etc. So that's how your sequence is done. LECOM emails you a list of groups and the sequences for each, and you submit your 1st/2nd/3rd choice, along with what geographic area you want (because they can't have too many people on the same speciality at the same time in the same area- there aren't that many spots) and they figure it out. There are a few "year-long" positions to go around. This means that you'll do all or most of your rotations at a single site. They are located at specific hospitals at a couple sites among the northern (LECOM-Erie) and southern (LECOM-Bradenton) affiliates. I think there is a lottery system to choose who gets these (not everyone wants one). There is some kind of GPA ranking here too. Usually the people with families want these so they know they won't have to move around.

LECOM (and all other schools) requires "core" rotations - family med, psych, ob/gyn, etc, and they have core affiliates to take students. For these, you submit your 1st/2nd/3rd choice among the core affiliates. You get a list of these at the beginning of the process. The group leaders work out who gets what. We also get second pass at the northern alliliates after Erie students pick their sites.

Sometimes there aren't enough "core affiliates" to go around - like with Peds or Ob/gyn. You could get dropped from a rotation if the agreement between LECOM and the affiliate doesn't work out. Then it's up to you to find something. LECOM will help you find something if you need, but it's usually easier to do it yourself because you can look in a certain location whereas LECOM will put you wherever they can find a spot.

All your electives and selectives are up to you to schedule. You usually call the office and ask to speak to the office manager or you call the hospital education office or medical staffing office.

I did most of my 3rd year rotations around bradenton at the area hospitals and Dr's offices. I had to do Ob-Gyn in Tampa bc I couldn't find anything closer. I also chose to come back up to Buffalo for an elective GI rotation to be around my family.

I will say that clinical rotations are extremely important. When you go on 4th yr audition rotations (trying to impress residencies) or when you actually get to intern year, your performance will depend on the strength of your clinical training moreso than your preclinical training. LECOM has a lot of room to improve here. There are some great rotations. There are also some rotations that are fine and easy bc your preceptors are nice but the training is not necessarily there. We do complete evaluations of rotation sites but I'm not sure what LECOM does with that information. At some of the sites you are just going to get out of it what you put in. If you are highly motivated and curious you will be well trained.

Thanks for the info! Was it difficult scheduling all of your rotations? Having to schedule everything on my own is something that worries me about LECOM, so hearing how your experience was with that would definitely be helpful. If I go to LECOM I would probably end up wanting to do something very similar to what you did (staying in the Bradenton/Sarasota/Tampa area).

Thanks for the info! Was it difficult scheduling all of your rotations? Having to schedule everything on my own is something that worries me about LECOM, so hearing how your experience was with that would definitely be helpful. If I go to LECOM I would probably end up wanting to do something very similar to what you did (staying in the Bradenton/Sarasota/Tampa area).

Ob-gyn was the only thing i had trouble with. The Dr that LECOM put me with, well, that didn't work out due to a miscommunication between his staff and LECOM. His office was very difficult to communicate with. So I had to find one myself, ended up in Tampa with a Dr. that took too many students at a time and didn't do any OB after the 32nd week of pregnancy. There just aren't that many Ob-Gyns in the Bradenton area and we are not allowed to go to Sarasota Memorial Hospital so that kind of puts a damper on any rotations in that area. I am in another city now and could do another Ob-gyn rotation (with a reputation of being very tough but educational), but at this point, why do that to myself? I'm not going to be an ob-gyn.

Usually during 3rd year you only have to schedule your electives and selectives yourself. It's not difficult but can be a little frustrating at times.

The variable quality of rotations is more of a problem than scheduling them, some are great and some are lacking. I looked up reviews of rotations (on our student government website forum) and tried to get the best ones I could. Overall I am satisfied with my clinical education, but a few were lacking in specific areas (e.g. my peds had no inpatient --- now, if I cared that much about this, I could have applied to away rotations at other institutions during 4th year). Ultimately this will not affect my career or my training, but it's something for you guys to keep in mind when comparing schools. It's hard for you guys to judge the quality of clinical rotations because the students that you meet on tours are usually first or second year students. They don't know what they're talking about. And the admin will say the rotations are great no matter that the truth is.

My advice for you guys would be to look for some kind of consistency or structure in the clinical rotations. Ask how many sites students rotate at during 3rd year. Ask if there are syllabi or assignments during the rotations. Ask if there is any didactic component to the rotations. Ask how students are graded on rotations. I actually think that the fewer sites where students rotate (in 3rd year), the better -- this shows that they have room for the students at those sites (and aren't struggling to place their students) and are probably better able to control the quality of rotations when there are fewer sites. I'm not counting 4th year audition or "away" rotations here.

Hi! CONGRATS!!! Did you get an email??

I interviewed 1/10 and got accepted today (1/14) as well and did not get an email. I just said on my lecom portal that "The Admissions Committee has made a decision on your application. You will receive an official letter in the mail within 30 days." Good luck to you!! :)

I interviewed 1/10 and got accepted today (1/14) as well and did not get an email. I just said on my lecom portal that "The Admissions Committee has made a decision on your application. You will receive an official letter in the mail within 30 days." Good luck to you!! :)
So you called?

Congrats to all the recent acceptances, make sure to join the Facebook group if you want an opportunity to network with your possible future classmates as well as some members of the C/O 2017 that are in there answering questions.

I have a question or two for other deposited students about the matriculation packet. I was looking through it, wanting to get a head start on it so I don't have to rush later. I was wondering if the matriculation packet or any of the forms within were binding? Nothing I saw said anything about that I just wanted to be sure as I have a few interviews next month and although they are reaches, I'd like to have my options open even if my packet has been turned in.

Also, when reading through the technology page I noticed that it said we had to go to IT to set up our computer, etc. but that Macs are NOT supported and you must show up with a Windows based computer. Obviously I know this isn't a strict policy because more than half of the students in the PBL group I watched had Macs, I was just curious what you do about setting your computer up?

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats to all the recent acceptances, make sure to join the Facebook group if you want an opportunity to network with your possible future classmates as well as some members of the C/O 2017 that are in there answering questions.

I have a question or two for other deposited students about the matriculation packet. I was looking through it, wanting to get a head start on it so I don't have to rush later. I was wondering if the matriculation packet or any of the forms within were binding? Nothing I saw said anything about that I just wanted to be sure as I have a few interviews next month and although they are reaches, I'd like to have my options open even if my packet has been turned in.

Also, when reading through the technology page I noticed that it said we had to go to IT to set up our computer, etc. but that Macs are NOT supported and you must show up with a Windows based computer. Obviously I know this isn't a strict policy because more than half of the students in the PBL group I watched had Macs, I was just curious what you do about setting your computer up?

There's really nothing to set up and the IT department is somewhat mac friendly if you have issues connecting to the network, but I don't think many people have problems with that

My deposit is due on a date that falls on a weekend, does anybody know if I actually have to get it there Friday for someone in the office to mark it as in on time? Or can my envelope get there on Saturday and I'll still be fine?

My deposit is due on a date that falls on a weekend, does anybody know if I actually have to get it there Friday for someone in the office to mark it as in on time? Or can my envelope get there on Saturday and I'll still be fine?

I would get it in Friday.

Ok so i know LECOM requires a DO letter but has anyone tried sending a MD letter? just wondering

They have a DO there on interview day to write letters. That's how I got mine. I was accepted too so they don't hold it against you

I'm staying here in Bradenton until Saturday. If anyone wants to meet up before the interview let me know!

Hi guys, I have an interview on the 3rd - I just wanted to hear from people about their experiences. Was it intimidating, did they really hammer you on anything specific... etc?

Thanks

Hi guys, I have an interview on the 3rd - I just wanted to hear from people about their experiences. Was it intimidating, did they really hammer you on anything specific... etc?

Thanks

The interview is very relaxed. The group interview wasn't all that bad. My group I think were one of the unlucky ones and we had a couple of ethical questions. One was if we had one healthy liver, and three patients, a 10 year old girl, a medical student, or a 40 year old CEO with a family, who would we give it to. Everyone in my group seemed to work well together though. Everyone took turns and there was only one person who really was trying to show off, but otherwise it wasn't bad. It wasn't too serious (besides that one question), my group also got asked about health care, and of course PBL, but talking with the other groups, most didn't share my experience. Just go in there confident and you'll be fine. I really thought I didn't make an impression whatsoever and yet I found out a few days after my interview that I was accepted!

Good luck!

The interview is very relaxed. The group interview wasn't all that bad. My group I think were one of the unlucky ones and we had a couple of ethical questions. One was if we had one healthy liver, and three patients, a 10 year old girl, a medical student, or a 40 year old CEO with a family, who would we give it to. Everyone in my group seemed to work well together though. Everyone took turns and there was only one person who really was trying to show off, but otherwise it wasn't bad. It wasn't too serious (besides that one question), my group also got asked about health care, and of course PBL, but talking with the other groups, most didn't share my experience. Just go in there confident and you'll be fine. I really thought I didn't make an impression whatsoever and yet I found out a few days after my interview that I was accepted!

Good luck!
That's great to hear! Congratulations, and thank you for your advice.

Good luck!

What is an acceptable response to a question like that? I would think we shouldn't decide such matters and if they all had equal need and wait times, then it should be totally random since socio-economic factors shouldn't play a role on who gets the liver.

Withdrawing my spot for LECOM-B class of 2018. Too bad I can't get my deposit back.....anyways good luck to you all!

Does anyone know if the lecombsga site will have a forum for Class of 2018 anytime soon? I was accepted back in November. For you stat lovers, cGPA 3.85, sGPA 3.82, 28 MCAT, IS from Miami. I wanted to let everyone know that I was really impressed with the PBL format. I think learning medicine by being an investigator and working together is just awesome.

Does anyone know if the lecombsga site will have a forum for Class of 2018 anytime soon? I was accepted back in November. For you stat lovers, cGPA 3.85, sGPA 3.82, 28 MCAT, IS from Miami. I wanted to let everyone know that I was really impressed with the PBL format. I think learning medicine by being an investigator and working together is just awesome.

Hello! Fellow Miamian here! Judging by the previous class threads on lecombsga, they weren't utilized very much. I hope our class is a little more interactive, lol

Hello! Fellow Miamian here! Judging by the previous class threads on lecombsga, they weren't utilized very much. I hope our class is a little more interactive, lol
Good deal! It's looking more and more like I'll be in Bradenton come July.

Hello all,

I got a call back from admissions yesterday afternoon letting me know that I was going to get an official acceptance phone call soon (I interviewed 1/31) (I had called to check about my status earlier). However, they informed me that I would only have a week to decide on the offer at that point. While I plan on attending another program, I figured I'd give everyone the heads up that you won't have very long to weigh your options if you're still waiting to hear from Lecom-B

Here's the fb page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/620874734631147/
Was accepted (31MCAT/3.6gpa) in Dec, I had to call due to snail mail. Will be withdrawing my acceptance. I would definitely make sure PBL is right for you, because this will outweigh the nice weather, location, etc

The facebook page has been significantly more active than the SGA forums, if you haven't already I would highly recommend joining.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/620874734631147/

Current first and second years have offered a fair amount of advice about moving, finding a place to live, etc. There are a fair number of people looking for, and finding, roommates through the FB page as well.

Hello! Does anyone know if the class is full yet or if they are still extending interviews? Thanks!

Last edited:
I got an interview invite last Thursday (02/20).... I scheduled for March 17. Interview scheduler went clear till April. However, most schools by now are interviewing for the waitlist......but LECOM did not mention I was interviewing for the waitlist in my ii email.

I got an interview invite last Thursday (02/20).... I scheduled for March 17. Interview scheduler went clear till April. However, most schools by now are interviewing for the waitlist......but LECOM did not mention I was interviewing for the waitlist in my ii email.

Thanks for the response! I live extremely close to LECOM and wasn't sure if I should stop by to see if I can talk to someone about my application to see where I stand. I am really hoping to get an interview here

Thanks for the response! I live extremely close to LECOM and wasn't sure if I should stop by to see if I can talk to someone about my application to see where I stand. I am really hoping to get an interview here

If I were in your situation I would write a letter of intent....(why you fit in with the mission statement, why you really want to attend LECOM and what qualities you would bring to the class of 2018).... then stop by and drop it off. Make sure when you stop in that you are dressed nicely, I wouldn't go quite as far as suit and tie but definitely a nice shirt and slacks.

If I were in your situation I would write a letter of intent....(why you fit in with the mission statement, why you really want to attend LECOM and what qualities you would bring to the class of 2018).... then stop by and drop it off. Make sure when you stop in that you are dressed nicely, I wouldn't go quite as far as suit and tie but definitely a nice shirt and slacks.

Great advice, I was going to email a LOI but I never thought to deliver it personally. I think that's what I will do. I was planning to wear a business type skirt and nice shirt. How long after you submitted your secondary did you hear back about an interview?

Oh lets see.... my secondary was processed by LECOM on January 2nd and ii on 02/20. Good luck! Have you interviewed at any other schools?

No, not yet! I submitted my primary late because I was waiting on fall grades. Just hoping to get any interview at this point, but LECOM is my #1

Yeah, try the letter of intent, write it well and cross your fingers! :xf: If you have the time you may even try writing a letter of intent to your other top 3 schools..... won't hurt at least. When was your secondary complete?

Hello all! I interviewed 2/21 and it was a great experience! We were told to definitely send a letter of intent post interview as well. I wonder if anyone knows whether I should email the letter to Mrs. Shively or send snail mail? I have already sent one thank you email to one of my interviewers, but I want to send a nice LOI to the entire admissions staff as well. Thanks!

Hello all! I interviewed 2/21 and it was a great experience! We were told to definitely send a letter of intent post interview as well. I wonder if anyone knows whether I should email the letter to Mrs. Shively or send snail mail? I have already sent one thank you email to one of my interviewers, but I want to send a nice LOI to the entire admissions staff as well. Thanks!

I would tend to side on e-mail....you want them to receive it quickly so its in your file when they meet to make a final decision on you. Snail mail will take a few days to get there and then however many for the school to sort through and get to the appropriate peoples. You can still write a very nice letter of intent via email.

Hello all. I interviewed on 2/10 with my application already complete and, even though they've had 3 admission committee meetings since then, my status still says "Your application is still under consideration by the Admissions Committee." I'm wondering if it's normal for it to take this long to render a decision at this point in the cycle? Because from what I've read here, they're usually pretty quick to render decisions post-interview (usually by the next admission committee meeting).

Hello all. I interviewed on 2/10 with my application already complete and, even though they've had 3 admission committee meetings since then, my status still says "Your application is still under consideration by the Admissions Committee." I'm wondering if it's normal for it to take this long to render a decision at this point in the cycle? Because from what I've read here, they're usually pretty quick to render decisions post-interview (usually by the next admission committee meeting).

I interviewed in January and I have the same message so I'm not too sure what that implies, but hopefully good news awaits us!

After looking over some more information about LECOM's administration and policies towards its students I'm going to withdraw my acceptance. Good luck to everyone trying to get a spot!

Interviewed 1/26 Accepted the day after (called for confirmation)

After looking over some more information about LECOM's administration and policies towards its students I'm going to withdraw my acceptance. Good luck to everyone trying to get a spot!

Do you mind sharing what about their administration and policies turned you away? I am teetering whether I should go to my interview or not....any insight would be great.

Do you mind sharing what about their administration and policies turned you away? I am teetering whether I should go to my interview or not....any insight would be great.