Lake Erie - Bradenton (LECOM - Bradenton) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congrats on the acceptance and the other IIs. Your GPA/MCAT are decent. Combined with your great EC, you probably should have gotten an interview. I guess one can't really predict the admission cycle.

Thanks, I knew I'd get rejections anyway. And yeah that's historically how all med schools are. It's like a giant grab bag of applications lol

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Rejected post secondary, 32MCAT 3.9 cum/sci GPA. 2000+ clinical hours and 500+ ECs. Luckily, this school wasn't my first choice

Members don't see this ad :)
My extracurriculars are my best aspect lol. But I have an acceptance at LMU, and interviews at PNW and COMP-NW so I'm not phased by it at all
I knew I recognized your avatar! I'm waiting to hear back from LMU about an interview, keeping my fingers crossed. Congrats on that acceptance!

Rejected post secondary, 32MCAT 3.9 cum/sci GPA. 2000+ clinical hours and 500+ ECs. Luckily, this school wasn't my first choice

They probably rejected you because they didn't believe you would end up going there if accepted (your stats are well above par for any DO school haha). I'm sure you'll get multiple acceptances this cycle. They welcomed your secondary fee with arms wide open though - classic.

They probably rejected you because they didn't believe you would end up going there if accepted (your stats are well above par for any DO school haha). I'm sure you'll get multiple acceptances this cycle. They welcomed your secondary fee with arms wide open though - classic.

There may quite possibly be some red flags in his application. You never know. Stats are just part of it. There are people with his stats who were interviewed. There could be IA's, convictions, etc.

If anything, they would want to interview him because they can keep his deposit money in case he goes elsewhere, which is highly likely given that this school wasn't his first choice.

It's LECOM. No one knows what's going on behind those shiny glass doors.
But, one thing is certain is that the class is probably not even a quarter way full

Well they won't send out ANY acceptances for another 2 weeks so it's empty technically.... I was just saying that they've already interviewed on at least 5 dates (re: interview thread) with about 25 people per date. 125 interviews already at least - they're probably becoming more selective and looking at more than just stats now. Who knows, total mystery haha

There may quite possibly be some red flags in his application. You never know. Stats are just part of it. There are people with his stats who were interviewed. There could be IA's, convictions, etc.

If anything, they would want to interview him because they can keep his deposit money in case he goes elsewhere, which is highly likely given that this school wasn't his first choice.

You're right about the red flags, don't know about that aspect of his app.

But I feel like they would be looking for someone to end up investing in tuition (120K) rather than just a $1500 deposit. And I think the adcom knows that someone with his stats will probably have multiple offers (assuming no red flags), so he would not be likely to put that deposit down before Dec. 15. It wastes their time and takes an interview spot from someone who may end up going there.

All speculation obviously, I have no idea how this actually works. At this point I wouldn't be surprised if they were pulling names out of a hat haha

You're right about the red flags, don't know about that aspect of his app.

But I feel like they would be looking for someone to end up investing in tuition (120K) rather than just a $1500 deposit. And I think the adcom knows that someone with his stats will probably have multiple offers (assuming no red flags), so he would not be likely to put that deposit down before Dec. 15. It wastes their time and takes an interview spot from someone who may end up going there.

All speculation obviously, I have no idea how this actually works. At this point I wouldn't be surprised if they were pulling names out of a hat haha

LECOM is a school that offers cheap tuition. It is run more like a business. They already interview so many, and they can easily shove an extra applicant in their 25 each session interviews. They probably interview over 500 for a class of 165. If anything, they would want to accept as many as possible of the high stat applicants knowing they would go elsewhere. It is all about maximizing cash flow. If 100 students decide to go elsewhere, they would've made $150k alone. Last year, they used to interview early and accept early, way before any other school gave acceptances and well before when the deposit was due.

They pass the savings onto the actual LECOM student. That's how the tuition can be so cheap.

LECOM is a school that offers cheap tuition. It is run more like a business. They already interview so many, and they can easily shove an extra applicant in their 25 each session interviews. They probably interview over 500 for a class of 165. If anything, they would want to accept as many as possible of the high stat applicants knowing they would go elsewhere. It is all about maximizing cash flow. If 100 students decide to go elsewhere, they would've made $150k alone. Last year, they used to interview early and accept early, way before any other school gave acceptances and well before when the deposit was due.

They pass the savings onto the actual LECOM student. That's how the tuition can be so cheap.

Fair point, but I'm working under the assumption that they would make more money by being more selective. You may be right, but I figure those people who want to go elsewhere with high stats will probably not put the deposit down here (by Dec. 15) because they will have already received acceptances to other schools they may be more interested in. Just because they interview and accept early doesn't necessarily mean that future students put their deposits down any earlier.

Their "early decision program" puts the deadline at Nov. 1 for those who chose it (which makes no sense to me anyway, considering you just have less time to put your deposit down and it doesn't affect your admissions status according to them). The people who choose that option either really really want to go there or are too impatient to wait and hear back - IMO their impatience may cost them an unnecessary deposit.

And yes, they pass the savings onto the actual LECOM student, but I don't think those savings are coming from the admissions department's shrewd business strategy. I think it has more to do with (at least at Bradenton) the very limited overhead incurred by their PBL curriculum among other smaller things.

And yes, they pass the savings onto the actual LECOM student, but I don't think those savings are coming from the admissions department's shrewd business strategy. I think it has more to do with (at least at Bradenton) the very limited overhead incurred by their PBL curriculum among other smaller things.

LECOM also offers LDP (lecture-based pathway) in their Erie Campus, and tuition is actually even lower than that of LECOM-Bradenton.

Fair point, but I'm working under the assumption that they would make more money by being more selective. You may be right, but I figure those people who want to go elsewhere with high stats will probably not put the deposit down here (by Dec. 15) because they will have already received acceptances to other schools they may be more interested in. Just because they interview and accept early doesn't necessarily mean that future students put their deposits down any earlier.

Their "early decision program" puts the deadline at Nov. 1 for those who chose it (which makes no sense to me anyway, considering you just have less time to put your deposit down and it doesn't affect your admissions status according to them). The people who choose that option either really really want to go there or are too impatient to wait and hear back - IMO their impatience may cost them an unnecessary deposit.

It doesn't make too much of a difference. Your deposit is either due on Nov. 1, or by December 1. Only a month difference. If accepted after November, you only have 2 weeks to submit the deposit vs. 4 if you hear back early. Regular decision is by Nov. 17th or so.

Either way, unless you can get a school that would likely accept you in that four week period (not very common,) it doesn't matter to the average applicant. You're going to spend that deposit anyways if you don't hear back from other schools before Dec. 1. At least, if you know early, you can start cancelling interviews at schools you don't want to go to. There's also that reassurance so you won't feel as nervous knowing that you got into school already and more likely to perform better at future interviews.

Also, these schools are admitting students on a rolling basis. Obviously earlier is better. Even though they say it doesn't affect chances, it still does, even if slightly. As classes fill up, they start looking for better applicants

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)

I believe at LECOM-Erie (not sure about LECOM-Bradenton) they mentioned if you choose to receive your decision in November then the admissions committee will look at your file after they look at applicants who chose early decision. But they did say it won't hurt our chances, so take from that what you will.

LECOM also offers LDP (lecture-based pathway) in their Erie Campus, and tuition is actually even lower than that of LECOM-Bradenton.

I don't know if that is a fair comparison to make. Do the two schools have the same admissions criteria or system? I didn't think they did, even though they lump all their statistics together when they present info to you as if it were the same school.

Do you really think that the extra money they save from deposits of students who don't attend really makes the cost difference that big? That seems unrealistic to me. Like you said, it would take 100 students for them to make $150k this way. Lets say everyone they interviewed was accepted and put down a deposit for the sake of illustration... thats 335 students who put down a $1500 deposit ~500k. Divide by the number of students who will attend and pay tuition (500,000/165) = ~$3000 that goes towards each students' savings. While that is significant (and in reality would be much lower since every student interviewed will not be accepted/not pay the deposit, in addition to those who interviewed and will not pay the deposit), it doesn't seem to be the biggest factor in a 30k tuition vs. 50k tuitions at other schools.

It doesn't make too much of a difference. Your deposit is either due on Nov. 1, or by December 1. Only a month difference. If accepted after November, you only have 2 weeks to submit the deposit vs. 4 if you hear back early. Regular decision is by Nov. 17th or so.

Either way, unless you can get a school that would likely accept you in that four week period (not very common,) it doesn't matter to the average applicant. You're going to spend that deposit anyways if you don't hear back from other schools before Dec. 1. At least, if you know early, you can start cancelling interviews at schools you don't want to go to. There's also that reassurance so you won't feel as nervous knowing that you got into school already and more likely to perform better at future interviews.

Also, these schools are admitting students on a rolling basis. Obviously earlier is better. Even though they say it doesn't affect chances, it still does, even if slightly. As classes fill up, they start looking for better applicants

I was told at the Bradenton interview that you would have 30 days to put down a deposit, regardless of if you chose Oct. 1 or Nov. 15. Those 6 weeks may make a huge difference for me. Many schools interview and turnaround within 3 weeks and I'm hoping to hear from some other schools before I put down the Bradenton deposit (if I'm accepted).

If you have an interview within a month before the Oct. deadline, that is crucial time. Maybe not for the average applicant, but for many people who fit in those parameters I think it makes a big difference.

Valid point about the nerves and reassurance knowing you're already in somewhere. But, at Bradenton, they told us that our group would hear back if we were rejected or waitlisted on Oct. 1, regardless of which date we picked. So if I don't hear anything on Oct. 1, I am going to assume it's an acceptance and buy myself an extra 6 weeks for the deposit and rest assured that I've already garnered an acceptance before other interviews.

Agreed about the rolling decisions

I believe at LECOM-Erie (not sure about LECOM-Bradenton) they mentioned if you choose to receive your decision in November then the admissions committee will look at your file after they look at applicants who chose early decision. But they did say it won't hurt our chances, so take from that what you will.

They didn't say that to my group at Bradenton, they explicitly said that it won't affect our chances and that the adcom will have already made a decision within a week of our interview or thereabouts.

Haha how does it not hurt your chances if more seats will be filled by the time a decision has to be made about your app?

They didn't say that to my group at Bradenton, they explicitly said that it won't affect our chances and that the adcom will have already made a decision within a week of our interview or thereabouts.

Haha how does it not hurt your chances if more seats will be filled by the time a decision has to be made about your app?
Yeah I remember them saying something similar at my interview at Bradenon.

As for Erie I agree, it does hurt the chances if the app is being looked at later than other applicants. Thats why I went with the early decision there. Maybe they were saying its early in the cycle so it wouldn't hurt the chances because of it?

Yeah I remember them saying something similar at my interview at Bradenon.

As for Erie I agree, it does hurt the chances if the app is being looked at later than other applicants. Thats why I went with the early decision there. Maybe they were saying its early in the cycle so it wouldn't hurt the chances because of it?

I think doing early decision there was a smart move. Whatever they were trying to say, better to be safe than sorry haha

I think doing early decision there was a smart move. Whatever they were trying to say, better to be safe than sorry haha

I would choose Bradenton over Erie, so I had to choose early for Bradenton too so I don't have to lose another $1500. I already got into a school that I like more than LECOM.

I would choose Bradenton over Erie, so I had to choose early for Bradenton too so I don't have to lose another $1500. I already got into a school that I like more than LECOM.

Getting an acceptance this early is awesome, congrats. Unlike you, some of us will probably still have to deal with that mammoth deposit haha

II for 10/12! It is my first one for the cycle so I'm really excited!

Submitted Secondary: Late July
"Further Review text" :Sept 1
II: Sept 16

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
II for 10/12 as well!!! "Further review" text yesterday, II today. Can't wait to meet everybody!

Reactions: 4 users
Got the "under further review" text yesterday as well. Hopefully that means an interview too. We'll see......

Reactions: 1 users
nope no red flags in terms of convictions or any type of disciplinary actions... no red flags that I was aware of either. oh well, good luck to everyone and I wish yall the best of luck!

Interviewing 2 October. Can't wait! Anyone want to split the price of a hotel room?

Has anyone ever had to reschedule an interview date? If so how do they feel about it?

Hey all!

First off congrats to all who have received IIs! Goodluck to all on getting accepted :)

I have a quick question. So on my LECOM-B applicant status it says "Your file will be re-reviewed by the Admissions Committee in 60 days". Does this mean I have no chance of a II haha? Trying to think realistically here. LECOM-E still says application is under review so maybe I have a shot as these schools? MCAT: 25/ cGPA: 3.66/ sGPA: 3.57 and Florida resident.

II yayyyyyyy! :highfive:I am super duper thrilled to have an interview here! I can't believe it ahhh yay! any advice from anybody? people that already interviewed here or med students at this school? Thanks in advance sorry for all the craziness

Just got this message "Your file is under review by the Admissions Committee. We will notify you as soon as a decision has been made."

Submitted a little over a month ago. Lets see how it goes

Hey all!

First off congrats to all who have received IIs! Goodluck to all on getting accepted :)

I have a quick question. So on my LECOM-B applicant status it says "Your file will be re-reviewed by the Admissions Committee in 60 days". Does this mean I have no chance of a II haha? Trying to think realistically here. LECOM-E still says application is under review so maybe I have a shot as these schools? MCAT: 25/ cGPA: 3.66/ sGPA: 3.57 and Florida resident.

I think that just means that you are not the most competitive applicant at this time. In 60 days, you may be more competitive (compared to the pool of applicants) and given an interview. I would try not to stress too much (which is easier said than done). LECOM-E and LECOM-B have different adcoms, so you may get into one, but not the other.

Received the review text and email today after being complete for quite a while not sure what to think about this

I think that just means that you are not the most competitive applicant at this time. In 60 days, you may be more competitive (compared to the pool of applicants) and given an interview. I would try not to stress too much (which is easier said than done). LECOM-E and LECOM-B have different adcoms, so you may get into one, but not the other.

Thanks for replying! Yeah trying to stay unstressed is definitely easier said than done but I will do my best. Congrats on the II though that is fantastic!

Checked the portal today. Says letters, MCAT, and pre-reqs were completed by admissions a couple days ago.

Secondary submitted June/July.

Withdrew my application today. Had an interview scheduled for Oct 2, hoping it goes to one of you! Best of luck, everyone!

I'm extremely nervous for Oct 1st. want to know the decision soon.

Just got an Interview Invite from this school and scheduled for 10/23!!! Excited to check this school out, its my 5th interview invite this cycle!

Got an II this evening! :) Complete on 7/27, "Further review" text on 9/18.

rejection in mail.

Same here, rejection in mail preinterview. It's strange, I had an interview at LECOM-Erie. Bradenton must be looking for something else.

Interviewing here tomorrow! Fellow interviewees, I will be in the green suit.