Lake Erie (LECOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did you interview yet? If you saw "the cart" - that's pretty much all of your books that will be used. You'll also get a list with the editions and will be expected to buy/have access to them. You can usually get a good price on the FB group from second years leaving for clinical rotations.

Yah I've been accepted since October but I wasn't sure where to look for the list of books.

Members don't see this ad.

Did you interview yet? If you saw "the cart" - that's pretty much all of your books that will be used. You'll also get a list with the editions and will be expected to buy/have access to them. You can usually get a good price on the FB group from second years leaving for clinical rotations.

This is right, but I just wanted to add for accepted students: DON'T buy the whole list yet! (Unless you're dying to give Amazon all of your money). A lot of people in my class will be selling their books for fairly cheap, plus you really don't need all of them right away. Get the anatomy stuff before you get here, and you might want embryology, histology and OPP to start off as well, but the rest can wait until you get your loan refund check. You won't use H&P until October, pharmacology until November and immunology, microbiology and neuroanatomy until second semester, anyway.

@PAC2DO-- at some point admissions will be sending you a list of books. It probably won't be until early summer so they can look into new editions of textbooks. But like I said, definitely no need to pre-buy the vast majority of them.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Well I cant believe I finally did it but I withdrew my seat today and it hurt like hell :arghh: lol I could of waited a few more months but I decided it was unfair to you guys on the wait-list waiting to get an offer. I really love LECOM and it was an extremely tough decision but the other school is simply in a better location for me. So you guys on the wait-list this ones for you, whoever gets it better enjoy it ;)!!!

Hey guys. So Bradenton never sent me the first email to fill out my secondary but sent me a follow up one yesterday. Should I complete it this late or no?
There's no harm if you're willing to pay the fee. They do interviews until April or the class fills up, whichever happens first.

Well I cant believe I finally did it but I withdrew my seat today and it hurt like hell :arghh: lol I could of waited a few more months but I decided it was unfair to you guys on the wait-list waiting to get an offer. I really love LECOM and it was an extremely tough decision but the other school is simply in a better location for me. So you guys on the wait-list this ones for you, whoever gets it better enjoy it ;)!!!

What up doc, which school would that be? Thanks.

What up doc, which school would that be? Thanks.
OU-HCOM the Cleveland Campus, its just were im born and raised even if I went to LECOM I was guna try and do some rotations back here so it just made sense for me to stay here all four years.

Withdrew from Interview.

Good luck, and may the force be with you.

Is LECOM still sending out acceptances or is everyone getting wait listed first at this point? Thank you for any help!

Is LECOM still sending out acceptances or is everyone getting wait listed first at this point? Thank you for any help!
It's definitely still a mixed bag from the last batch of letters they sent out!

Good luck :)!

Cancelled my interview and withdrew my application. Hopefully it'll go to one of you guys who are still waiting to hear back. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
To the ppl who got interviews from Bradenton and Erie or Seton Hill did you have a large gap between the II's? Curious because it has been silent on the B front.

Thank y'all in advance!
I would say this is definitely the best, helpful, kind, well wishing batch of people in a discussion group I am in! :) :)

Hey there! Maybe this was answered already but i didnt see it. Anyway, i had a two month gap between my erie/sh and my bradenton interviews. Talking to people in my Bradenton interview i found many of us had had a similar gap.

And i couldn't agree more with you! It may sound crazy but the kindness and helpfulness of the people here are really playing a role in my decision

Constantly checking the portal..... Have any January interviewees had a portal change or an acceptance yet? If so, about how long did it take?

Just a heads up, LECOM is currently in the progress of sending out acceptances to LECOM Post-bacc students who all interviewed two weeks ago. A few have already received their acceptances. There's I think 120 of us pre-meds in the program.

I heard about a month. When did you II?

They meant you should get your letter within a month after the portal changes. I think there are people who interviewed in December that still haven't had a portal change. I interviewed on 1/7 and still haven't heard.

For those of you still have your admissions fate up in the air, be patient, let the process unfold itself, and channel your energy into worthwhile pursuits in the mean time (current position/job, research, shadowing etc...). LECOM at SH still accepts applicants straight from interview in April, though I'm not sure on May and beyond.

It is now mid February, so for some of you it might be time to start thinking about backup plans, which I should point out that having a backup is never a sign of pessimism but rather a sign of maturity and resilience.

Instead of stalking postal services, (which none of you do I'm sure ;] ,) here's something you can temporarily distract yourself with. This is what I came across the other day. Since I am myself Class of 2019, I've looked up the most recent official admissions data from AACOMAS on my incoming class. Here's what I've dug up. Hope you will find it interesting and informative.

4yr data applicant profile: Entering Classes 2012-2015
http://www.aacom.org/docs/default-source/data-and-trends/2012-15-app-report.pdf?sfvrsn=10

Incoming Class of 2015 Applicant Pool Profile:
http://www.aacom.org/docs/default-source/data-and-trends/2015-aacomasappsr.pdf?sfvrsn=12

Just a quick question about PBLs. How do we know which textbooks to use to study? Do students all get the same books?
so when you go to lecom you are required to pay for vital source. which is basically electronic books. i think it is around $1100 a year. and it comes out of your loan/tuition money automatically. so you have access to all the "required" books. however, most ppl in PBL find it difficult to read from the computer and highlight/make your own notes for 8-10 hours a day so they end up buying physical copies of the books. so you pay for you books twice. and then some since you are charged for vital source both 1st and 2nd year. i wouldn't recommend buying any books yet. you are suppose to use the current edition (questions come from the current edition and you get some pretty specific questions sometimes) and those new editions can come out right before your first pbl meeting. so hold off. the students in pbl especially aren't too happy about the vital source situation-and it sounds like the other pathways aren't either. so we have been meeting with administration about it. so it could change. and hopefully will for future classes. I've bought all the books and review books/baby versions and have spent well under $1000 (and i buy new) and then i just lug them around in a crate in the back of my car. makes studying a lot easier.

so when you go to lecom you are required to pay for vital source. which is basically electronic books. i think it is around $1100 a year. and it comes out of your loan/tuition money automatically. so you have access to all the "required" books. however, most ppl in PBL find it difficult to read from the computer and highlight/make your own notes for 8-10 hours a day so they end up buying physical copies of the books. so you pay for you books twice. and then some since you are charged for vital source both 1st and 2nd year. i wouldn't recommend buying any books yet. you are suppose to use the current edition (questions come from the current edition and you get some pretty specific questions sometimes) and those new editions can come out right before your first pbl meeting. so hold off. the students in pbl especially aren't too happy about the vital source situation-and it sounds like the other pathways aren't either. so we have been meeting with administration about it. so it could change. and hopefully will for future classes. I've bought all the books and review books/baby versions and have spent well under $1000 (and i buy new) and then i just lug them around in a crate in the back of my car. makes studying a lot easier.

For what it's worth, "Vital Source" hasn't hit the Seton Hill campus. Class of 2018 and Class of 2019 are using physical books. No guarantee they won't switch to that system for Class of 2020, but for some reason it would surprise me if they did.

For what it's worth, "Vital Source" hasn't hit the Seton Hill campus. Class of 2018 and Class of 2019 are using physical books. No guarantee they won't switch to that system for Class of 2020, but for some reason it would surprise me if they did.
Just an FYI we got an email from our class council at Erie and they had a meeting with VitalSource and the administration- not sure what will come of it but there are some pretty big complaints about the system. I too prefer to read physical books and highlight them so I bought my materials before knowing $1200 was going to be deducted from my account... had to change my loan amount because that's a month of living expenses. And then again, even with e-books you'll want to buy review books that have questions to study from, like BRS or First Aid too. My advice is to budget an extra $500 for books you may want and $750 for medical equipment since those aren't really factored in anywhere.

Just an FYI we got an email from our class council at Erie and they had a meeting with VitalSource and the administration- not sure what will come of it but there are some pretty big complaints about the system. I too prefer to read physical books and highlight them so I bought my materials before knowing $1200 was going to be deducted from my account... had to change my loan amount because that's a month of living expenses. And then again, even with e-books you'll want to buy review books that have questions to study from, like BRS or First Aid too. My advice is to budget an extra $500 for books you may want and $750 for medical equipment since those aren't really factored in anywhere.

Interesting.

And a really good point on review books, and other resources. The budget might not include the Gray's Review book ("Green Gray's") and definitely doesn't include BRS Anatomy, both of which are essentials. It also doesn't include really helpful things like Pathoma (~$100), SketchyMicro ($99/6 months), or the "baby books" for physiology and pathology. (Baby Robbins is life second year).

For second year, LECOM will provide you with Combank, but you'll want to set aside some money for other board prep materials as well. UWorld is basically a necessity, and a lot of people get other programs like DIT, Kaplan, Boards Boot Camp, etc.

I interview here this Thursday and haven't gotten the email about the individual interview portion. Are they still sending those out or do they just bring it up on the day of the interview?

I'll also have some downtime there, so any ideas on cool stuff to do or check out around the school?

Thanks!

I interview here this Thursday and haven't gotten the email about the individual interview portion. Are they still sending those out or do they just bring it up on the day of the interview?

I'll also have some downtime there, so any ideas on cool stuff to do or check out around the school?

Thanks!
Erie or SH? SH doesn't do the individual interview.
Imma let ortanakas gives you tips about the city if it is indeed Greensburg, if it is Erie then no clue lol

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Thanks!

You should get the MMI email a day or two before your interview, but you sign up during the informational session during your interview.

Erie or SH? SH doesn't do the individual interview.
Imma let ortanakas gives you tips about the city if it is indeed Greensburg, if it is Erie then no clue lol

Seton Hill for sure doesn't have the individual interview after the group interview?

Literally, just got the email about the one on one portion.

If anyone has any advice about it or the rest of the interview, I appreciate it. I read a bit about what's already been posted on this thread.

Literally, just got the email about the one on one portion.

If anyone has any advice about it or the rest of the interview, I appreciate it. I read a bit about what's already been posted on this thread.

Its 2 faculty and they each ask you a question each for the individual portion (MMI). One question is usually about some current event or medical related. The 2nd one is about yourself like why LECOM or why medicine. (This was my version, but apparently I've read on here that people had to read some article and discuss it) The group interview is really laid back, and everyone gets a chance to respond.

I'm a little confused- so no MMI at SH right?
Congrats on your interview! Let us know how it goes! I've said it before, but this is seriously the nicest group on SDN!
:)

I'm a little confused- so no MMI at SH right?
Congrats on your interview! Let us know how it goes! I've said it before, but this is seriously the nicest group on SDN!
:)
Yes no MMI in SH (unless added halfway through the cycle)

Yes no MMI in SH (unless added halfway through the cycle)

I can't confirm this, but it would surprise me if there was an MMI portion at SH, mostly because I can't think of a good space that would consistently be available to conduct it in easily.

actually really confused about the whole I got an II yesterday and only had 3/15 and 3/28 as options. but my buddy jlh19 got an II today and chose 3/11.
Thats in my spring break and would've worked out perfectly...?

Interview dates at most schools depend on availability rather than the strength of your secondary. Your friend probably saw an earlier date than you because in the time between your invites, 1+ of the applicants scheduled to interviewed that day canceled or rescheduled their interview, opening up their spot for the day. Don't let it stress you out! If you're looking for an earlier date, just keep checking your portal or contacting admissions to keep an eye on openings that come from cancellations! They happen all the time after acceptance letters start rolling out.

Sorry if this has already been addressed, prepping for an 8am at CCOM tomorrow so I'm just skimming through.

Interview dates at most schools depend on availability rather than the strength of your secondary. Your friend probably saw an earlier date than you because in the time between your invites, 1+ of the applicants scheduled to interviewed that day canceled or rescheduled their interview, opening up their spot for the day. Don't let it stress you out! If you're looking for an earlier date, just keep checking your portal or contacting admissions to keep an eye on openings that come from cancellations! They happen all the time after acceptance letters start rolling out.

Sorry if this has already been addressed, prepping for an 8am at CCOM tomorrow so I'm just skimming through.
Good luck! It was! We discovered we were at 2 diff campuses! :) Thank you though!

Anyone know the turnaround time for post-interview results? Most schools I've interviewed at have been really quick, ~ 1 week. Does Lecom take longer?

The quickest turn around is probably over a week because they must meet and follow up with snail mail of their decision. They stated that they don't respond about their decision made through email or phone call.

Anyone know the turnaround time for post-interview results? Most schools I've interviewed at have been really quick, ~ 1 week. Does Lecom take longer?

Usually at least a month, but there have been a few quicker ones on here.

Interviewing at Seton Hill on Thursday! :joyful: I'm so excited!

Reactions: 3 users
Is anyone interviewing at ERIE this thursday?

If you are, pm me. More than happy to grab a coffee/tea before the interview.

Congrats to everyone that has been accepted. I am an MSII who will be leaving Erie for rotations and looking to see if anyone is interested in taking over the house I renting (landlord is a graduating MSIV). The house is about 2.5 miles from the main campus and takes me very little time to get there even in the snow. The house would be perfect for roommates as their is a downstairs room with an adjacent office (probably too small to be a bedroom by itself) and their is an upstairs room with a large area next to it. The house has been recently updated by the landlord and has a washer and dryer in the basement. There is a large driveway that is big enough for two vehicles as well. Rent is $800, I could sublet it from May 15- July 15th giving you an opportunity to make sure you like the area before committing to a long term rental in an unknown area. Message me for details.

Hey all, I interviewed about a month ago and now am just waiting on a decision. I'm very worried because I thought the interview went terrible. I really would like to go here & hope I am not rejected. They barely asked any questions (only 2 in individual interview which was like 5 minutes..a couple more in the group interviews) so I felt like they didn't really get a chance to know me. And the interviewers give off no indication of care towards what you are saying. I answered to the best of my ability but just felt like there was so much more I could have said as I had prepared for questions way more in depth and way more difficult, ethical, etc..