Liberty University COM (LUCOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys. I received a secondary but took more than 2 weeks to fill it out. It says that if I take more than two weeks, my application becomes inactive. Does that mean that I am no longer being considered or do I have to do something now to make it active again.

II this morning at 6:42 am (Mountain Time) !! It's not letting me log in to see the interview dates so hopefully it's fixed later! Secondary received 21 July and submitted 24 July.

Reactions: 1 user
II this morning at 6:42 am (Mountain Time) !! It's not letting me log in to see the interview dates so hopefully it's fixed later! Secondary received 21 July and submitted 24 July.
Congratulations!!
I got one this morning as well! Submitted my secondary 7/27. Glad I'm not the only one who couldn't log on to schedule! Did you contact them about it?

Congratulations!!
I got one this morning as well! Submitted my secondary 7/27. Glad I'm not the only one who couldn't log on to schedule! Did you contact them about it?

Congrats as well! No I'm going to wait a day or 2 to see if it works and if not I'll call then.

Congrats as well! No I'm going to wait a day or 2 to see if it works and if not I'll call then.
I actually just got access for scheduling! You might want to try again now!

Soooooo what I'm gathering is that if you're non-Christian you shouldn't waste your time?

The prompt from last year that someone posted earlier was manageable, but this one screams "we don't want you unless you're Christian" to me. I had a feeling I might be too liberal for Liberty but this prompt is just too much. What do you guys think?

I also read their code of conduct and it says they don't allow students to use alcohol. I have like one drink every six months so I can definitely do without it, but a school trying to control students like that leaves a weird taste in my mouth. Someone please prove me wrong on all these points!
I know others have responded, but I will respond and give my viewpoint on this. You are applying to a medical school that is closely associated with a Christian University. I believe most of the faculty and staff are Christian as well. However, LUCOM continuously makes it clear that while they are based on a Christian worldview, they love having people with different faiths/backgrounds in the class. I know that for both first and second years, there are many people in the class who are not Christian.

I think that one reason they changed the prompt for this year is to make it clear that if you apply and are accepted to LUCOM, you know what you are getting into. If the knowledge that the school is based on Christian values scares you or bothers you, then don't apply. This will save you time and money, it will save the school time, and it will allow another student to take your potential spot in the class. If you are unsure how you feel about it... apply and find out. As you may already know, an interview is just as much about them getting to know you as well as you getting to know them!

Good luck everyone!

II! First one of the season! Complete 8/4 , cgpa 3.7, mcat 26 if anyone was wondering.

II scheduled for 8/24! Anyone know of a good place to stay? Do any hotels have a shuttle to the COM?

Members don't see this ad :)
II scheduled for 8/24! Anyone know of a good place to stay? Do any hotels have a shuttle to the COM?

Two hotels next to campus...Hampton Suites Inn and Springfield Inn. I'm not sure about shuttle availability, however. You'll want to call them for that, but those are both extremely close to the medical bldg.

Reactions: 1 users
Just got my invite for an interview today! Going to see which date works best for me and schedule the interview within the next couple of days. This is my first interview offer so far, so I am very excited! I really identify with the mission and values of LUCOM and would be honored to attend this school. Good luck to everyone!

Should I be worried if I still haven't received a secondary?

Got an interview invite! 3.4 GPA, 3.1 science, 29 MCAT.

My timeline for anybody curious, 8/13 secondary submitted, 8/18 interview invite!!

Any students know what a competitive MCAT here is or if they screen?

I just got the itinerary for the interview day on August 24...anyone else going then? Can't wait to see the school and get to know current students! Also, it doesn't specify who my interviewers will be...I thought they would give that info, because they seemed to do that last year.

I just got the itinerary for the interview day on August 24...anyone else going then? Can't wait to see the school and get to know current students! Also, it doesn't specify who my interviewers will be...I thought they would give that info, because they seemed to do that last year.

They specified for me last year who my interviewers were, but it changed on the day of my interview.

Any students know what a competitive MCAT here is or if they screen?
I do not know the exact MCAT score they are really looking for, but I can tell you that what while that is a major factor.. determining whether or not you fit the vision and mission of the school is also a major factor. I know of RARE instances where someone with a really low MCAT was accepted (but it was due to some special circumstances or life experiences). They told us this during my interview to show that, while GPA/MCAT is important, so is fitting the mission/vision of the school.

A new school will generally accept lower MCATs for the first year, and each successive class would most likely have a higher MCAT average. The first year they opened the school, they opened it late and didn't have too many applicants. For the class of 2019 they had over 4000 applicants. So I would say, expect them to look for a GPA/MCAT that is similar to any other school out there... but also understand that a major part of their decision is whether or not you fit with the school.

Reactions: 2 users
Secondary submitted 8/12.. still havent heard back :( - OOS, 26mcat, 3.7 gpa
Would really love to interview here! I really admire the mission and atmosphere the school provides

Startjg, we can't wait to meet you! Our entire class is excited to see new interviewees, which should tell you a lot about this school. Don't hesitate to ask questions tomorrow if you need clarification on anything!

@LoveDoctor93 had a great time at the interview..everyone was so genuinely friendly and the interview felt more like a conversation than anything. Loved watching the 1st years play ultimate frisbee, the facilities were amazing, and the writing on the wall with whiteboard marker was so cool haha really hoping to get good news from this school!

Has anybody had a difficult time getting a response from the LUCOM admissions team? I have called and emailed them from multiple accounts including my assigned Liberty account and I have yet to receive a reply.

Has anybody had a difficult time getting a response from the LUCOM admissions team? I have called and emailed them from multiple accounts including my assigned Liberty account and I have yet to receive a reply.
Yes! I emailed about a week ago to try and get a later date for my interview and I haven't heard anything. I was going to try and call them tomorrow.

Tried calling because I couldn't claim my account and got transferred to nearly every department at the school lol

Hi all, I just recieved invitation for interview today but I am living in California and the only available interview dates are next week which doesnt give me much time to get a ticket. Is it a bad move to try and interview during the next batch? let me know your thoughts.

Hi all, I just recieved invitation for interview today but I am living in California and the only available interview dates are next week which doesnt give me much time to get a ticket. Is it a bad move to try and interview during the next batch? let me know your thoughts.
I don't think so. Call the admissions office and ask them if you can reschedule so you can have more time to make travel arrangements. It's early enough in the cycle that it's not like the class will fill up without you if you go a week or two later.

I had a similar situation last year. It shouldn't be a problem at all to sign up for a later interview date. It is still early, so dont be worried about "losing a spot". Especially if you are looking at other places to interview on the east coast, it's best to try and group them together if you can.

Is anyone else still without a secondary? I know they said thirty days, but I didn't actually expect it to take that long to get an answer.

Is anyone else still without a secondary? I know they said thirty days, but I didn't actually expect it to take that long to get an answer.
yea i haven't received one... i emailed them today. no response yet

Rejection pre-secondary just received, AACOMAS verified 7/19

S***, and I applied to PCOM, if Liberty does not take me... I don't know who will

Woah huge rejection influx. Sorry everyone.

When were you guy complete/stats if you don't mind me asking?

I'm scared to check my email now haha. A lot of you have better stats than I do, so my rejection is probably coming.

Rejected.... BUT I retook the MCAT last week, why didn't they wait to see those scores come out next month? Should I call?

rejected as well, but i don't even have my mcat score back yet, strange they would reject me without my mcat score?

@doctorinthehouse_ I would! It can't hurt, and might make a difference! I'm kind of wondering if LUCOM sent out their secondaries to the people they wanted early, and are now just rejecting the rest.

I can't tell if I got rejected or not. I got an email saying I did not meet their preferred criteria, but my application would be reviewed in 30 days. Did everyone else's say that?

Rejected. This school is my least favorite anyway, especially after today's shooting.

I can't tell if I got rejected or not. I got an email saying I did not meet their preferred criteria, but my application would be reviewed in 30 days. Did everyone else's say that?
Yes I got that email!
My email said my application does not meet some requirements but my retake-MCAT scores aren't out yet! The last line of my email says "Your AACOMAS application will undergo further evaluation within the next 30 days for extended consideration." So not sure if this is a rejection or not?? o_O

Yes I got that email!
My email said my application does not meet some requirements but my retake-MCAT scores aren't out yet! The last line of my email says "Your AACOMAS application will undergo further evaluation within the next 30 days for extended consideration." So not sure if this is a rejection or not?? o_O
It is not a rejection, for sho! They are probably waiting for your MCAT scores:)