Liberty University COM (LUCOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yes I got that email!
My email said my application does not meet some requirements but my retake-MCAT scores aren't out yet! The last line of my email says "Your AACOMAS application will undergo further evaluation within the next 30 days for extended consideration." So not sure if this is a rejection or not?? o_O
Sounds like your application will be reviewed again at the next committee meeting. I can't say for sure that Liberty's admissions committee does that, but I've seen people mentioning that process on other forums. If I'm correct, I think it means they haven't made a decision on your app yet. But I may be wrong so take that with a grain of salt!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I responded back to the email with some more extracurriculars I've been working on, since I can't really afford an MCAT retake or more classes. Hopefully that will give them something to consider. I really like the christian environment of LUCOM so I hope I don't end up with a rejection!

Received my pre-secondary rejection today! AACOMAS verified 7/12. Good luck to everyone else!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Received a pre-secondary rejection today too :( Must have been a massive rejection day

I'm sorry to hear about the rejections guys...

But I would advise you not to call them or email them to try and change their minds. If you were rejected without your MCAT scores or new MCAT scores, it is most likely because they do not think that you would be a good fit for the school. Maybe call and try to find out why you were rejected.. or what you could improve on for next time... but don't try to convince them to let you in, because it won't work.

Again, sorry to hear about the rejections, but there are still alot of schools out there! I received many rejections, but still made it into a med school! Don't get discouraged!

Reactions: 2 users
II yesterday! I found their Secondary Invite in my junk folder 8/24 (They sent it 7/30) and turned it in immediately to get the II only 3 days later!!!

Its been a minute since Ive been on SDN! Im a 2nd year student. If you have any questions about LUCOM please don't hesitate to ask. But email me since it might be another several months before I check SDN again lol. email [email protected]. For those of you getting rejections without your MCAT, email them!! I emailed after submitting my primary saying I had just retaken the MCAT and asked that they wait to review my file until after my new score was posted. After it was posted I emailed them and sure enough I got an interview :)

I hope everyone that interviewed so far found LUCOM to be as friendly and welcoming as everyone here thinks it is.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
What are LUCOM's pre-secondary cutoffs? Are all of these people getting pre-secondary rejections because they are not meeting a cutoff or because they do not fit the mission?

How was the interview here? Is it open or closed, and who is it done by?

Did they ask any questions about your faith?
They didn't ask me any questions about it, personally. I brought up my faith because it's a big part of why I chose to pursue medicine in the first place. I don't recall any follow-up questions that directly asked about it. Maybe one when I was describing some volunteer work I do at my church - but I can't recall if my interviewer asked what my church was like or if I offered up that information without being prompted. The impression I gathered from the interview day was that they just want to get to know who you are as a person, what motivates you, etc. One of my interviewers did ask if she could pray with me before our interview was over, and I was happy to do that. Also, one of the admissions directors prayed with us as a group before lunch. I hope that helps you get an idea of what to expect!

Reactions: 1 users
havent interviewed here yet but I have an II and I am almost positive Im going to get rejected. Got the names of my interviewers and I've heard some 'stories' about one of them...not to mention people of this person's ethnicity always HATE people of my ethnicity (due to historical things that have happened between us). More concerned about my race than anything now. Great...

Last edited:
havent interviewed here yet but I have an II and I am almost positive Im going to get rejected. Got the names of my interviewers and I've heard some 'stories' about one of them...not to mention people of this person's ethnicity always HATE people of my ethnicity (due to historical things that have happened between us). More concerned about my race than anything now. Great...

I think you may be making a mountain out of a mole hill, but just try not to turn your fears into a self fulfilling prophecy. Treat this like any other interview and try not let your concerns or insecurities bleed through. These people are medical and academic professionals. I'm sure if you approach your interview as you would any other they will treat you with the same professional respect they show everyone.

I think you may be making a mountain out of a mole hill, but just try not to turn your fears into a self fulfilling prophecy. Treat this like any other interview and try not let your concerns or insecurities bleed through. These people are medical and academic professionals. I'm sure if you approach your interview as you would any other they will treat you with the same professional respect they show everyone.
maybe...I got some time

EDIT:
my other post was meant for another school. I realized after someone messaged me about it. This stress is getting to me LOL

Last edited:
Is anyone familiar with the style of Interview that Liberty does?

^id like to know too

Last edited:
Is anyone familiar with the style of Interview that Liberty does?

I just interviewed here. The interview is two 30-minute sessions, one with a clinical faculty member, and one with a biomedical sciences faculty member. I'm not sure about anyone else, but they mainly asked me questions about my activities, "Why LUCOM," asked me to give my opinion on current healthcare legislation, and respond to a hypothetical medical ethics scenario.

I just interviewed here. The interview is two 30-minute sessions, one with a clinical faculty member, and one with a biomedical sciences faculty member. I'm not sure about anyone else, but they mainly asked me questions about my activities, "Why LUCOM," asked me to give my opinion on current healthcare legislation, and respond to a hypothetical medical ethics scenario.
how difficult would you say the interview was? anything we should expect?

Last edited:
how difficult would you say the interview was? anything we should expect?

I wouldn't say it was particularly difficult, but I did feel like the interviewers were intentionally trying to knock me off balance a couple times or fish for a specific answer. Expect some of the questions and scenarios to have several follow up questions related to what I just mentioned.

I wouldn't say it was particularly difficult, but I did feel like the interviewers were intentionally trying to knock me off balance a couple times or fish for a specific answer. Expect some of the questions and scenarios to have several follow up questions related to what I just mentioned.
do you feel you did well enough?

II! Now if I could only figure out how to log into their confounded server to schedule....

Anyone know how late interviews go here? Trying to schedule a flight....any chance they would be done by noon?

Anyone know how late interviews go here? Trying to schedule a flight....any chance they would be done by noon?

The day officially ends at 3:00, but don't expect to get out early. On my day we ended up getting out around 3:20.

When did you interview? The itinerary said the day would end at 2:30 for me when I went. I'd say we probably got out of the building around 2:35-2:40.

You're right, I'm off by a half hour. We got out around 2:50 PM.

What are LUCOM's pre-secondary cutoffs? Are all of these people getting pre-secondary rejections because they are not meeting a cutoff or because they do not fit the mission?
I'm not sure this year, but I was accepted with a 22 MCAT. I liked the school, but I ended up going to CUSOM. A big plus at least when I interviewed was that they looked at the whole person, and not just the MCAT score. I'm doing pretty well, even though I didn't have the highest MCAT and the people that interviewed could tell that I would do fine in any medical school program. I hope that helps you. That was for the 2018 class. They all seemed nice and friendly there...I was also a non trad, and have 7 kids if that helps as well, but I don't recall them asking me about how many kids that I had...

At my interview, they said they have an MCAT cutoff of 8 per section across all sittings.

I'm not sure this year, but I was accepted with a 22 MCAT. I liked the school, but I ended up going to CUSOM. A big plus at least when I interviewed was that they looked at the whole person, and not just the MCAT score. I'm doing pretty well, even though I didn't have the highest MCAT and the people that interviewed could tell that I would do fine in any medical school program. I hope that helps you. That was for the 2018 class. They all seemed nice and friendly there...I was also a non trad, and have 7 kids if that helps as well, but I don't recall them asking me about how many kids that I had...
What made you choose CUSOM?

My interview is this Tuesday and I still havent gotten a detailed itinerary. Did this happen to anyone else? Not sure if I should contact them yet

Hi everyone, what is the cheapest way to get to LUCOM if you are flying? Im coming from CA and the cheapest to Lynchburg Airport is 839$ with a 1 night hotel stay.

At my interview, they said they have an MCAT cutoff of 8 per section across all sittings.

While they were pretty lenient with the first year class and also my class, I have spoken to some adcom members about them being more selective for this next class. I think like any new school, the stats will get more and more competitive with each new year.

Hi everyone, what is the cheapest way to get to LUCOM if you are flying? Im coming from CA and the cheapest to Lynchburg Airport is 839$ with a 1 night hotel stay.

Woohoo california!

Fly to either charlottesville (1 hr) or roanoke (45min) if you want to save some money. I flew into Richmond (2 hr) via southwest airlines to save even more. Lynchburg airport is right next to campus but it's quite a bit more expensive in terms of airfare. If you don't mind driving, i would do that but that could just be me.

I'm a little confused on the requirements. I just received a secondary, but I have a PS score of 7, while the rest are 8 and above. Does getting a secondary mean they are still lenient on that requirement? I'm not sure if I should pay the fee if I don't meet the requirements.

Is it a good idea to book a flight with an overnight layover (7-8 hours) or pay a little extra to have 2 nights at a hotel. The price difference is roughly 60$

I'm a little confused on the requirements. I just received a secondary, but I have a PS score of 7, while the rest are 8 and above. Does getting a secondary mean they are still lenient on that requirement? I'm not sure if I should pay the fee if I don't meet the requirements.

It could be possible that you have other things on your application that made up for that 7. I don't believe they dole out secondaries to everyone, so I would go for it.

Is it a good idea to book a flight with an overnight layover (7-8 hours) or pay a little extra to have 2 nights at a hotel. The price difference is roughly 60$

Where you thinking about flying into? I stayed overnight at the richmond airport and it was pretty miserable so I wouldn't advise it. PM me.

Received the call....ACCEPTED! :D

Reactions: 7 users
@Dr.Fast Congrats!!!! When was your interview? What was your impression of the school?

Last edited: