Liberty University COM (LUCOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Got the call too! Wasn't expecting them to call for another few weeks but I'm not gonna complain.
Congratulations! Did you both receive the phone call at the end of the day yesterday (8/29)?

Members don't see this ad.

Congratulations! Did you both receive the phone call at the end of the day yesterday (8/29)?

I did but I was in class when I got it so I didn't find out until this morning when I called back.

Just a heads up, Dean Martin has stepped down from the medical school. I do not know what this means for LUCOM but keep it in mind.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just a heads up, Dean Martin has stepped down from the medical school. I do not know what this means for LUCOM but keep it in mind.

Yes, he stepped down to spend more time with his family as his daughter is helping start a new DO school in the midwest around where he's originally from, and he'd like to be closer to his grand kids with whatever time he has left on this earth. He will still be a consultant to our interim dean, Dr. Klink, who is an awesome faculty member as well. His wife, Sherri, is also still going to be seeing through our accreditation process.

We've said goodbye to him several times over the last month, and he'll be deeply missed. However, we still have very talented faculty to ensure the rest of the accreditation process goes smoothly so I don't think there's much to be nervous about.

Reactions: 3 users
For the volunteer section of the secondary did ppl just repeat what they put in the activities section of the AACOMAS app?

I did but I was in class when I got it so I didn't find out until this morning when I called back.
Congratulations! Very exciting for you!

II received today and somehow was able to secure the date of 09/02. Anyone else going to be there this Friday?

For the volunteer section of the secondary did ppl just repeat what they put in the activities section of the AACOMAS app?
I don't think that's an issue to be mindful of since I did pull directly from my primary APP and received an II

Congratulations! Very exciting for you!

II received today and somehow was able to secure the date of 09/02. Anyone else going to be there this Friday?

Thanks! The interview was super laid back, I only got asked one somewhat difficult question. They seemed to be trying really hard to get to know me/determine whether or not I'm a good fit. And they fed us brisket, just sayin.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks! The interview was super laid back, I only got asked one somewhat difficult question. They seemed to be trying really hard to get to know me/determine whether or not I'm a good fit. And they fed us brisket, just sayin.

Good to know, thanks. I know itll be hard in the moment to keep that in mind but I hope I can!

kvbhp.jpg

To anyone debating about whether or not to interview here:

GO!

Give LUCOM a chance and it will not disappoint. Don't listen to people on SDN. Remember they also tore apart Rocky Vista until recently. This school is awesome and I feel very lucky to have interviewed there. It definitely made its way into the conversation of top school for me and my wife.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 5 users
Interviewed the 22 as well. Havent heard anything yet starting to get nervous :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, I received a interview invite, and I'm going on the the 26th. Can you also message me and let me know your impression and how the day went? I would really appreciate it.
Well I'll send you a message and let you know how it goes! Something tells me this school this school will be a pleasant surprise for you, especially after talking to current students.

Well I'll send you a message and let you know how it goes! Something tells me this school this school will be a pleasant surprise for you, especially after talking to current students.

Could you send the message my way as well? I just got an II and I'm signed up for October 7th. Really excited for this school!

Hi, I received a interview invite, and I'm going on the the 26th. Can you also message me and let me know your impression and how the day went? I would really appreciate it.

Could you send the message my way as well? I just got an II and I'm signed up for October 7th. Really excited for this school!

Got you guys! Check your PM's :)

I have an interview here at the end of the month. I'll be coming in from out of town. Anyone have any recommendations of things to do in the area? I kind of want to explore the cities of the places I'm interviewing. :)

I have an interview here at the end of the month. I'll be coming in from out of town. Anyone have any recommendations of things to do in the area? I kind of want to explore the cities of the places I'm interviewing. :)

I say go to downtown Lynchburg! They have some awesome 200 year old buildings out there haha

Hey guys I'm interviewing here on the 15th. I'm thinking of relying on uber to go from my airbnb to the school. Can anyone comment on the reliability/availability of uber in this area? Is it safer for me to rent a car?

Hey guys I'm interviewing here on the 15th. I'm thinking of relying on uber to go from my airbnb to the school. Can anyone comment on the reliability/availability of uber in this area? Is it safer for me to rent a car?

Lynchburg is fairly small, so I don't know if you could rely on uber there. Maybe take a taxi or rent a cheap car.

Reactions: 1 users
To anyone debating about whether or not to interview here:

GO!

Give LUCOM a chance and it will not disappoint. Don't listen to people on SDN. Remember they also tore apart Rocky Vista until recently. This school is awesome and I feel very lucky to have interviewed there. It definitely made its way into the conversation of top school for me and my wife.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile[/QUOTE

Hi! I'm a long time lurker/viewer of sdn. I have an interview at LUCOM and was wondering if you could let me know about your interview experience, what your thoughts coming into the interview about the school were and how it changed after the interview?

Or anyone else can PM regarding that experience, that would super helpful! Thanks :)

II!

Would anyone currently at LUCOM be willing to let me stay with them while I'm in town for my interview? I'm scheduled for October 3rd!
25 y/o female, South Asian, and super excited for this opportunity.

:)

Lynchburg is fairly small, so I don't know if you could rely on uber there. Maybe take a taxi or rent a cheap car.

Oops, I have always thought I could count on Uber. Thank you for your input. Now gotta go book myself a taxi. I am staying at an airbnb too, so there's not gonna be any taxi waiting right in the front door like if I were to stay in a hotel. Thanks a lot for letting me know :).

Is anyone interviewing this Thursday the 15th? I am getting into town tomorrow and am wondering if anyone wants to meet up for coffee. It'd be great to chat with another potential future classmate:)

Hi guys!

I was applying here and I received the first email saying they got my primary application - about 30 days ago. Wondering why they didnt send me an email whether or not to complete the II was strange so I called them today. Not sure but it seemed like they were really confused I never got any email but regardless they sent me a link to a website that asks for a username/pw or to "claim account". I tried claiming and it asked for an ID# so I put the aacomas ID (since I had no other numbers to use). Now it says it doesn't work! What did you guys do for your II?

Also I sent them a reply saying I dont know what ID number I'm supposed to use, still waiting for a reply.

Also is a c3.02 and s3.12 and MCAT 513 + not devout christian but open to accepting christian ideas would be competitive or this school?

Have you received a "Complete your secondary application" Email from them? In the email it says "A user account has been created for you. Please claim your account and then enter your "Last Name," "ID Number"xxxxxxxx, and "Birth Date." You will be directed to set up a secure password." Perhaps when you emailed them, they assumed you received this email and simply sent you the link to the website to enter above information. It was NOT the AACOMAS ID number they ask for, but one in this secondary email.

Your MCAT score is strong and makes you more competitive with your GPA, though your ECs, ESSAY and LORs all play a role.

ya we have like 3 uber drivers here and they work the most random times haha
you may be better off renting a car or calling a cab. although the cabs aren't the most legit thing here either.

as for things to do, you can walk around downtown, there's a lot of historical sites here in downtown as well as immediately around. If you have a whole day extra, i would recommend a hike nearby or heading up to charlottesville where UVA is. there's a ton more to do up there and just FYI they have a trader joe's, whole foods, AND costco. we're a bigger town, I'm not sure why we don't have those things. :(

ya we have like 3 uber drivers here and they work the most random times haha
you may be better off renting a car or calling a cab. although the cabs aren't the most legit thing here either.

as for things to do, you can walk around downtown, there's a lot of historical sites here in downtown as well as immediately around. If you have a whole day extra, i would recommend a hike nearby or heading up to charlottesville where UVA is. there's a ton more to do up there and just FYI they have a trader joe's, whole foods, AND costco. we're a bigger town, I'm not sure why we don't have those things. :(

Thank you so much for your response. I'm actually interviewing on Friday the 16th. I don't really want to rent a car because I think it's too rushed trying to return the car and catch a flight. But I'm scared of the cab situation too. Was reading some Yelp reviews about cab companies here being an hour late for appointments. I'm flying back immediately after the interview, so no time to check out the area. Man if only there was a Costco and TJ in Lynchburg. I'm a big fan of them :).

I wonder when they'll be sending out more decisions? I'm aching to hear whether I got in

I interviewed 8/18, and I haven't heard anything back either. Going on 4 weeks.
Damn if it hits the 4 week mark I'm for sure going to email them... They should've had some sort of decision by 4 weeks since they said 2 :/ I would rather just know instead of being confused and on edge haha

Yep. If I don't hear anything by the end of the week, I will email them. They told my interview group it could take 3-4 weeks. I hate not knowing!
They told us two weeks haha but maybe they have a big load of apps to go through... Let me know what they end up saying! :)

I also interviewed 8/22 and still have not heard anything. Congrats to those accepted!

Just recently interviewed. The process was very organized, informative and laid back. They really ease any nerves in the first hour. I got the feel that the school truly embraces a supportive, family type atmosphere. Not to mention the amazing view of the blue ridge mountains. As an LUCOM student, you also have access to nearly everything at Liberty University. Lynchburg is a nice town as well. Very impressed and cannot wait to hear back!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I just re-read their FAQ section from the interview folder. It says "You will generally hear from us within three to four weeks of your interview. Sometimes it takes longer, depending on the dean's availability. He reviews the outcomes of the admissions committee meetings prior to anyone being notified of their status."

So maybe it is taking longer because they are kind of inbetween deans. I keep telling myself no news is good news.
You're right, it could definitely be because of the dean situation. And a maybe is better than a no

II!

Would anyone currently at LUCOM be willing to let me stay with them while I'm in town for my interview? I'm scheduled for October 3rd!
25 y/o female, South Asian, and super excited for this opportunity.

:)
I'm scheduled for 10/3 too! See you there!

Denied post-interview. Not the way I wanted to start

Interviewed on Thursday (9/15). It was a beautiful, new building with a lovely little town (Lynchburg). The students I spoke to all had good things to say about it, including a family atmosphere and how it was not at all competitive. The faculty we met were for the most part very nice and friendly, and we were able to joke around with them and it was a pretty laid back atmosphere. I was even able to make one of my interviewers laugh, so I think that can attest to how casual the entire thing felt. There was definitely a 'Christian' atmosphere and emphasis, with a lot of the faculty mentioning God often and even praying 3 separate times during the interview day. I personally did not feel uncomfortable by the situation, but I feel as though those that dislike this type of thing will definitely dislike this school if only for this purpose. I got the impression it is not similar to it's undergraduate counterpart though, if that is any consolation for those of you that aren't a fan of the Christian environment. In terms of the actual interview, I did personally get hammered with difficult ethical questions, but it seemed as though some of my peers with the same interviewers did not have a similar experience so I think it might be variable. My only advice would be to prepare for the worst and see what you get. They do emphasize that they're just trying to gauge what kind of person you are, and that's the same feeling I got.

Good luck everyone!