Liberty University DO school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
And King College is building an MD school in Abingdon, which will make seven medical schools in Virginia.

LOL I did forget about that one. And Abingdon seems like such a weird place for a medical school.

There aren't going to be any medical student rotation spots left in VA.

Members don't see this ad.

LOL I did forget about that one. And Abingdon seems like such a weird place for a medical school.

There aren't going to be any medical student rotation spots left in VA.

You don't seem to understand, there is a physcician shortage and the only way to staph it is to open up more schools and disregard what is best for the profession. After all, these school just want to make money, -er I mean ease the shortage. ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
You cannot honestly distinguish micro and macro evolution. Those terms do not even exist outside of the creationist landscape.

Macro evolution is simply put micro evolution over a long time.

Sorry, but no one is debating evolution anymore.

It seems like some of you imagine a scenario where a doctor would be so wrapped up in creationism that they couldn't read an mri, or hold their scalpel properly or take a patient history. The view on the origin of man has no reflection on the daily tasks of a physician.

Yes, a doctor's duty is to also advance the community he is in. Being a creationist damages the community, end of story.

Yes, a doctor's duty is to also advance the community he is in. Being a creationist damages the community, end of story.

You will find very few job opportunities as an "advance the community-ist". A physician's duty is to perform the tests/evaluations/procedures that their specialty prepares them for and for which their employer/customer/government will pay them...

You will find very few job opportunities as an "advance the community-ist". A physician's duty is to perform the tests/evaluations/procedures that their specialty prepares them for and for which their employer/customer/government will pay them...

Will you see undeserved patients? Patients without insurance? Will you attempt to make ways to help patients like these and create programs in which physicians come and once a month give their services for free? That is advancing the community.
A physician not only heals his patients, he heals his community and as a part of his community he should seek to better it. And personally making sure the educational system improves and becomes strong should be on everyone's agenda.

Will you see undeserved patients? Patients without insurance? Will you attempt to make ways to help patients like these and create programs in which physicians come and once a month give their services for free? That is advancing the community.
A physician not only heals his patients, he heals his community and as a part of his community he should seek to better it. And personally making sure the educational system improves and becomes strong should be on everyone's agenda.

Charity is not a duty of a physician. Charity is however a duty of a christian...have you been reading the Bible again? It's good stuff I tell you, good stuff ;)

Charity is not a duty of a physician. Charity is however a duty of a christian...have you been reading the Bible again? It's good stuff I tell you, good stuff ;)

Upholding social justice is a duty of every ethically inclined practitioner of anything.

It is as important as non-malificence ie above all do no harm.

And King College is building an MD school in Abingdon, which will make seven medical schools in Virginia.

Wow, and Virginia mostly caters to in-state students (Then again, most non-private MD schools do too) so that's nothing but good news for Pre-Med Students.

And I agree with Neurospeed. A medical school brings in money/recognition for schools so that's why there's such a large increase of them as of late. It'd be interesting to see ~10 years from now (After all these schools are built and the students participate in the match) how the Match will be. Hell, will there even be a scramble anymore?

Just gonna leave this here. What about doctors that are creationist such as Ben Carson?

Members don't see this ad :)
And why is it assumed creationism will be taught as part of the curriculum?

3rnyg9.jpg

Just gonna leave this here. What about doctors that are creationist such as Ben Carson?

He's a brilliant physician and businessman. But beyond that he really is clueless about things ranging from explaining his disagreement with evolution by explaining it through the terms of a 4th grader and socially his views are backward such as when he called gay marriage and pedophilia similar.

But what can I say, he's a pull yourself by your bootstraps guy.

Yes, and it's a sad day that they dumb down science to not offend people. The truth is the truth regardless of a persons beliefs, end of story.

Wow. I hope you can practice more tact in your communication with future patients. The world is full of people who won't share your views, try to be a little more considerate and open-minded.

These new schools have NO CLUE as to how they are going to manage clinical rotations. I can guarantee you they will have to ship everybody out to rural family practice rotations outside the state.

Seriously, I predict in 10 years DeVry or Phoenix will have a med school. Unbelievable :laugh:

These new schools have NO CLUE as to how they are going to manage clinical rotations. I can guarantee you they will have to ship everybody out to rural family practice rotations outside the state.

Seriously, I predict in 10 years DeVry or Phoenix will have a med school. Unbelievable :laugh:
DeVry has Ross University in the Caribbean. I'm not sure if they are the owners of RVUCOM? Or is it another Caribbean school that owns them?

Wow. I hope you can practice more tact in your communication with future patients. The world is full of people who won't share your views, try to be a little more considerate and open-minded.

open minded towards ignorance? great!

Most people in the south believe in creationism. Southerners will be ecstatic when this school opens. Yes, the rest of the country will laugh at this school, but it doesn't matter to the southerners because the USA will secede into smaller nations in the next 200-300 years and this will be one of their premier med schools.

I don't think I'm being close minded tbh. If a patient wants to believe, that is their choice. It does not change my opinion that they could spend that time being much more productive ( Ben Franklin had a good quote about lighthouses vs churches.

Most people in the south believe in creationism. Southerners will be ecstatic when this school opens. Yes, the rest of the country will laugh at this school, but it doesn't matter to the southerners because the USA will secede into smaller nations in the next 200-300 years and this will be one of their premier med schools.

Hey... Hey....
Your script for Risperidone has been filled.
Hey... Hey...
You should take it.
Hey... Hey...
I sound poetic.

^i never knew you had the credentials of a psychiatrist. You must have learned a lot in psych 101.

open minded towards ignorance? great!

By that I don't mean you have to agree with it (I don't either) but scoffing at those who hold these views is a unnecessary. They are no less or more than anyone else for believing what they do.

By that I don't mean you have to agree with it (I don't either) but scoffing at those who hold these views is a unnecessary. They are no less or more than anyone else for believing what they do.

I did not scoff at it. I simply quoted Issac Asimov.

Is anyone here against the idea of new DO schools in general or just Liberty University opening one up? Because for me, the biggest negative is the unnecessary number of DO schools opening up.

Is anyone here against the idea of new DO schools in general or just Liberty University opening one up? Because for me, the biggest negative is the unnecessary number of DO schools opening up.

Generally my view on the matter is any institute less than Purdue or Vassar shouldn't have the right to own a medical school.
All of these schools opening up in random places lowers the value of the degree not to mention they have no capability to match these students since they have no connections or OPTI.

But this thread is dually an anti-liberty college and an anti-coca thing. If coca thought about the image of osteopathic medicine and the welfare of students it wouldn't ever recognize liberty as an entity and would have directly flipped off center for nursing education.

it's both.

DeVry has Ross University in the Caribbean. I'm not sure if they are the owners of RVUCOM? Or is it another Caribbean school that owns them?

DeVry owns Ross and now AUC. I believe RVUCOM was founded by the previous owner of AUC.

Generally my view on the matter is any institute less than Purdue or Vassar shouldn't have the right to own a medical school.
All of these schools opening up in random places lowers the value of the degree not to mention they have no capability to match these students since they have no connections or OPTI.

But this thread is dually an anti-liberty college and an anti-coca thing. If coca thought about the image of osteopathic medicine and the welfare of students it wouldn't ever recognize liberty as an entity and would have directly flipped off center for nursing education.

What about stand-a-lone private med schools like Touro and LECOM? They have some pretty well connected OPTIs or clinical connections. They are also pumping out tons of DOs that are doing pretty well in boards and the match.

Also, making blanket statements deprives us of a few schools that started out as newer, less established schools and turned into some very good medical schools. MU-COM is a good example of a seemingly well-connected school that appears to be very well planned out and funded. Marian University is certainly not at the level of Purdue or Vassar, but most people seem to believe that in the not too distant future it will be a very successful DO school.

I agree that maybe more restrictions need to be made on schools applying for COCA accreditation, but I certainly can't make a blanket generalization that new DO schools that aren't affiliated with some well-known university will be terrible or harm the DO profession.

False. They are now affiliated with Lynchburg General.

The location mostly. I question the motive of the school just because it is in a densely populated state in terms of existing medical programs. And VCOM is less than 100 miles away.

I have conditions, such as connections.
Sorry but many schools do not have a semblance of connections for their students.

I am flabbergasted at your disrespect. "Being a creationist damages the community, end of story."

With your logic, I can just as easily argue that being an evolutionist damages the community.

Kiddo, you need to learn tolerance.

Reactions: 1 user
I am flabbergasted at your disrespect. "Being a creationist damages the community, end of story."

With your logic, I can just as easily argue that being an evolutionist damages the community.

You're allowed to maintain that misguided opinion. My belief is a population that accepts science is one that is likely to also make better health decisions.

It's a 350 bed hospital, which is large enough to accommodate students. Smaller university hospitals are in the 500 to 600 bed range.

I am flabbergasted at your disrespect. "Being a ignorant damages the community, end of story."

With your logic, I can just as easily argue that being knowledgeable damages the community.

Fixed that for you. Now people can see the heart of the argument and what you label to be "tolerance."

Fixed that for you. Now people can see the heart of the argument and what you label to be "tolerance."

Yes, if you knowingly choose to accept a lie then fine, but to teach it to your children and others and label evolution a lie is something I will never be tolerant of. There's no excuse for purposefully ignoring evolution; a lesson that everyone should learn.

Thank you.
People fail to see the fact that a physician is an important part of the community. If the physician is ignorant, he is ignorant at the expense of his community.
It is one thing to be respectful, it is another to stand against the tide of willful degeneration.

Thank you.
People fail to see the fact that a physician is an important part of the community. If the physician is ignorant, he is ignorant at the expense of his community.
It is one thing to be respectful, it is another to stand against the tide of willful degeneration.

I agree. Although everyone is entitled to their own faith and opinions, I would be wholly unsatisfied and unhappy if my physician told me the reason why I had to get an appendectomy or my wisdom teeth removed is because his God made me this way.

I have a right to expect my physician to be knowledgeable and professional with all aspects of my health, including education.

Thank you.

Maybe we should make all physicians learn about Medieval History, too. Because that's just about as relevant to the practice of medicine as the origin of species.

Maybe we should make all physicians learn about Medieval History, too. Because that's just about as relevant to the practice of medicine as the origin of species.

We're not saying that physicians should become evolutionary biologists. Rather, they should not purposefully deny evolution as false in support of creationism, which Liberty University does. This is especially true when their job entails educating the public about certain diseases and how it came to be.