Liberty University (LUCOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey, your trollishness is showing, might wanna get that under control. And maybe also, while you're at it, consider not antagonizing people in a school specific thread for no reason.

K.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Will someone please get rid of this troll?

It was not trolling - I wanted to give out my genuine good luck wish.
And please stop antagonizing me.
The mod told you that you should ignore anyone who annoys you.
So ignore me if I annoy you, because you are definately annoying me.

You also copied my default picture and status's on this site.

Members don't see this ad :)
It was not trolling - I wanted to give out my genuine good luck wish.
And please stop antagonizing me.
The mod told you that you should ignore anyone who annoys you.
So ignore me if I annoy you, because you are definately annoying me.

You also copied my default picture and status's on this site. Very immature.

LOL. Wow very manipulative. Steal my avatar and status and then throw it back as if I stole it. Good job.

Well, good luck to you :) You will need it.
I'm confused. Is this a dig at me, a dig at the school, or a bit of both?

As a person that has gone to a professional school before, I can tell you that the student matters FAR more than the school when it comes to success. I have seen the same school graduate both mediocre and excellent students. In fact, I've seen this pattern from every school with which I have had any contact, both in pharmacy and medicine.

I plan to work my tail off no matter where I end up. I am confident that LUCOM will provide me with the education I need to get what I want.

I will also point out that getting into a good fellowship has less to do with your medical school than it does with how well you do in your residency. As the Dean pointed out (correctly), when you are applying for something, they only look at what you did the previous step. For example, when you applied to undergrad, they asked for your high school GPA. How many of you have had to mention your high school GPA on your medical school apps? Or your SAT?

After you get into medical school, your MCAT no longer matters. From that point on, all that matters are your board scores. After you get into residency, what matters is how you do in your residency.

How do I know he's telling the truth? Well... for one I'm a PharmD that is a practicing pharmacist in a local hospital. For two, I'm married to a D.O. resident. So I MIGHT have a bit of life experience in this. Just maybe.

That said, I appreciate the well wishes regardless of the sincerity. We all need a little luck.

Reactions: 9 users

As a person that has gone to a professional school before, I can tell you that the student matters FAR more than the school when it comes to success. I have seen the same school graduate both mediocre and excellent students. In fact, I've seen this pattern from every school with which I have had any contact, both in pharmacy and medicine.

I plan to work my tail off no matter where I end up. I am confident that LUCOM will provide me with the education I need to get what I want.

I will also point out that getting into a good fellowship has less to do with your medical school than it does with how well you do in your residency. As the Dean pointed out (correctly), when you are applying for something, they only look at what you did the previous step. For example, when you applied to undergrad, they asked for your high school GPA. How many of you have had to mention your high school GPA on your medical school apps? Or your SAT?

After you get into medical school, your MCAT no longer matters. From that point on, all that matters are your board scores. After you get into residency, what matters is how you do in your residency.

How do I know he's telling the truth? Well... for one I'm a PharmD that is a practicing pharmacist in a local hospital. For two, I'm married to a D.O. resident. So I MIGHT have a bit of life experience in this. Just maybe.

That said, I appreciate the well wishes regardless of the sincerity. We all need a little luck.

I would just like to second this- I talked to a residency director for one of the Internal Medicine programs at a Detroit area hospital and she said she doesn't even look at where the applicants go to school, it just matters how they did on their boards/class wise(i.e. class rank, i.e. are you an A/B student or always getting C's.).. it also helps if you are able to rotate with the specific hospital you want to receive a residency at. I believe that Liberty allows you to set up your own rotations 4th year wherever so that would be an opportunity to rotate somewhere other than VA if that's where you want to go.

Just go to the school where you feel the most comfortable and that you believe will help you fulfill your individual professional goals, in the end the hard work that you put in is what matters the most.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Good luck to anyone that interviewed 12/16. I'm accepted.

Reactions: 2 users
Don't take Breezy124 too seriously. They've been trolling posters for some time.

Accepted! Cannot wait to become a part of this amazing family!

Reactions: 7 users

I third this, excellent post.

Congrats to everyone accepted so far, make sure to join the fb group!

Members don't see this ad :)
So, I submitted my secondary on October 13, 2014 and still haven't heard back...I'm getting a little worried at this point. I called the school and left a message. I haven't heard back yet....Does anyone know how late they interview and if maybe they are just backed up with applications? I'm trying not to think the worst!

Merry Christmas to everyone interested in this school.

So, I submitted my secondary on October 13, 2014 and still haven't heard back...I'm getting a little worried at this point. I called the school and left a message. I haven't heard back yet....Does anyone know how late they interview and if maybe they are just backed up with applications? I'm trying not to think the worst!

The admissions director said they were about halfway through interviews- supposedly the adcom met on Dec. 19th but I don't think they will meet again until after the new year, so this might be why. just hang in there! I know waiting is rough.

Congrats to all of those who were accepted to this amazing institution and for those who are still waiting, don't give up! The adcoms usually interview well into April!

Any body else haven't heard back from them after the interview? I interviewed beginning of December and have not received anything in the mail.

Received an invite for an interview on Dec 19. Interview Scheduled for 2/2. Very excited!

Any body else haven't heard back from them after the interview? I interviewed beginning of December and have not received anything in the mail.
I think only a couple of us got accepted on the 12/19 meeting. I expect that a more thorough review of the large number of candidates will take place in early January. I think interviews start up 1/8 or 1/9, so they will probably sort through the bulk of December's candidates at or around that time.

The waiting game is unbelievably hard, but keep the faith. In the worst case, you can always strengthen an application in your gap year by doing a post-bacc masters. It worked for me.

But don't get ahead of yourself just yet. The interview season is long, and we are far from done. Stay strong and keep waiting. Difficult as it is, there is always a light at the end of the tunnel no matter what happens.

Waiting for an acceptance is much more stressful than the coursework in my opinion lol. Then again I'm only OMS-I :) hang in there everyone! And happy new year!

Hey everybody! I'll be attending LUCOM this fall with the entering class of 2019 and was wondering if anyone from the previous class could shed some light on the specs of the required laptop. Sorry for the random question, I've just been looking to replace my current laptop and am hoping that the one the school has us buy is half decent! Thanks so much!

Hey guys! I am super open with my stats, i applied late in the game (Dec 1) and was just curious if others had similar stats as me and received interviews.
sGPA: 3.9
cGPA: 3.88
MCAT: 25

Thanks hope you all had a great holiday!

Hey everybody! I'll be attending LUCOM this fall with the entering class of 2019 and was wondering if anyone from the previous class could shed some light on the specs of the required laptop. Sorry for the random question, I've just been looking to replace my current laptop and am hoping that the one the school has us buy is half decent! Thanks so much!
They will give you a laptop

Dear all.

I have seen the light.
God spoke to me in a dream last night.
He said, "Thou shall not pass judgement on LUCOM.
Science kneels before me, as should you. Creationism and Christian principles are TRUE. DO NOT question my book and will, and thou shall live a happy life. If thou shall believe in evolution and the practice of medicine devoid of the christian religion, thou WILL burn in hell. If thou are gay, thou will burn extra crispy!" (i am not gay, but I sure was scared)

This is a true story. I Hope your prayers are with me as I drop my other acceptances and now apply to LUCOM. I hope my mcat and gpa is enough, as i have gathered that LUCOM's is a 24/3.4, both I have learned are below the national average.

Thank you and god bless.

Dear all.

I have seen the light.
Science kneels before me, as should you. Creationism and Christian principles are TRUE. DO NOT question my book and will, and thou shall live a happy life. If thou shall believe in evolution and the practice of medicine devoid of the christian religion, thou WILL burn in hell. If thou are gay, thou will burn extra crispy!" (i am not gay, but I sure was scared)

This is a true story. I Hope your prayers are with me as I drop my other acceptances and now apply to LUCOM. I hope my mcat and gpa is enough, as i have gathered that LUCOM's is a 24/3.4, both I have learned are below the national average.

Thank you and god bless.
Rofl

Dear all.

I have seen the light.

Thank you and god bless.
"Every prudent man dealeth with knowledge: but a fool layeth open his folly." Proverbs 13:16

Dear all.

I have seen the light.

Thank you and god bless.

Making fun of Christians already on your very first day off your account suspension? Wow.

Making fun of Christians already on your very first day off your account suspension? Wow.

I am not making fun of christian's. You're the one implying that..
I did imply however, that I was wrong about judging LUCOM. Your MCAT VR went tough didn't it?

profile_357528941_75sq_1366558336.jpg

@AlteredScale? Is that you?

Last edited:
I think only a couple of us got accepted on the 12/19 meeting. I expect that a more thorough review of the large number of candidates will take place in early January. I think interviews start up 1/8 or 1/9, so they will probably sort through the bulk of December's candidates at or around that time.

The waiting game is unbelievably hard, but keep the faith. In the worst case, you can always strengthen an application in your gap year by doing a post-bacc masters. It worked for me.

But don't get ahead of yourself just yet. The interview season is long, and we are far from done. Stay strong and keep waiting. Difficult as it is, there is always a light at the end of the tunnel no matter what happens.

I already have an acceptance at another school. I was just wondering if the letter from LUCOM, whether acceptance or rejection, got lost in the mail from something. Nonetheless, I am thankful and glad that I had the opportunity to interview at this beautiful school.

Can't say I'm sad to see people that bring little to this table removed.

There is more to a school than stats. There is more to a physician than MCAT.

Is LUCOM for everyone? Honestly? No. It isn't.

Is that OK? Yes it is.

If you do not agree with the Christian ideology that is very central to Liberty University, then do not go. Is it relevant that the undergrad program teaches young earth creationism? Honestly? Not really. The medical school teaches what will be on the boards because they must prepare you for what will be on them. That includes topics that are contrary to their beliefs.

Am I sad that this school has some strong Christian beliefs? Honestly? No. In my interview, they reminded me of one of the aspects of Christianity that I had all but forgotten about: forgiveness. I made a terrible mistake during my third year of pharmacy school, and I paid for it dearly. In fact, I am still paying for it. During my interview, one of my interviewers reminded me that part of Christianity is the ability to forgive your past crimes if you have atoned for them. LUCOM was the second school to offer me an interview (my scheduled interview has not yet happened for the first) and they were among the first to be able to forgive my previous transgression.

LUCOM also does one thing that no other school offers. Though their rotations have not begun yet, the dean says he wants to have a weighted lottery for selecting rotation spots. First pool goes to people that have children. Second pool goes to those with spouses. Everyone else is in the third and final pool. While some think this is disadvantageous to single students, the dean believes a commitment to families and not breaking them up for months at a time is more important.

I do not yet have children, but it is highly likely that I will before rotations begin. Regardless, I do have a wife that I love dearly. I have done long distance before. In fact, it would be harder to do a longer distance relationship than she and I did (I was in Japan, she was finishing up her undergrad at Tulane.) Though our relationship survived two years in Japan, I am not eager to prove that our marriage can survive long distance again. She is my partner in all things, and when we are apart for long periods, it is hard on both of us.

Would I necessarily have rotations more than an hour away from her at another school? No. But do I know with almost absolute certainty that I wouldn't have to live away from her at LUCOM? Yes I do.

Schools are multifactorial. There are the classes you take, the rotations you will go on, and the place that you will live. You must consider all the facts before you finally decide which school to go to.

For what it's worth, I'm still going to the other interview. I will still go to other schools that offer me future interviews. I will do this because I will consider all of the above things. I'm looking for the best fit for me. LUCOM has said that they believe I am a good fit for them. I also believe the school is a good fit for me, but I cannot say that it is the BEST fit for me unless I see all possible alternatives.

Can't say I'm sad to see people that bring little to this table removed.

There is more to a school than stats. There is more to a physician than MCAT.

Is LUCOM for everyone? Honestly? No. It isn't.

Is that OK? Yes it is.

If you do not agree with the Christian ideology that is very central to Liberty University, then do not go. Is it relevant that the undergrad program teaches young earth creationism? Honestly? Not really. The medical school teaches what will be on the boards because they must prepare you for what will be on them. That includes topics that are contrary to their beliefs.

Am I sad that this school has some strong Christian beliefs? Honestly? No. In my interview, they reminded me of one of the aspects of Christianity that I had all but forgotten about: forgiveness. I made a terrible mistake during my third year of pharmacy school, and I paid for it dearly. In fact, I am still paying for it. During my interview, one of my interviewers reminded me that part of Christianity is the ability to forgive your past crimes if you have atoned for them. LUCOM was the second school to offer me an interview (my scheduled interview has not yet happened for the first) and they were among the first to be able to forgive my previous transgression.

LUCOM also does one thing that no other school offers. Though their rotations have not begun yet, the dean says he wants to have a weighted lottery for selecting rotation spots. First pool goes to people that have children. Second pool goes to those with spouses. Everyone else is in the third and final pool. While some think this is disadvantageous to single students, the dean believes a commitment to families and not breaking them up for months at a time is more important.

I do not yet have children, but it is highly likely that I will before rotations begin. Regardless, I do have a wife that I love dearly. I have done long distance before. In fact, it would be harder to do a longer distance relationship than she and I did (I was in Japan, she was finishing up her undergrad at Tulane.) Though our relationship survived two years in Japan, I am not eager to prove that our marriage can survive long distance again. She is my partner in all things, and when we are apart for long periods, it is hard on both of us.

Would I necessarily have rotations more than an hour away from her at another school? No. But do I know with almost absolute certainty that I wouldn't have to live away from her at LUCOM? Yes I do.

Schools are multifactorial. There are the classes you take, the rotations you will go on, and the place that you will live. You must consider all the facts before you finally decide which school to go to.

For what it's worth, I'm still going to the other interview. I will still go to other schools that offer me future interviews. I will do this because I will consider all of the above things. I'm looking for the best fit for me. LUCOM has said that they believe I am a good fit for them. I also believe the school is a good fit for me, but I cannot say that it is the BEST fit for me unless I see all possible alternatives.
Not bashing LUCOM or anything. But the lottery seems very wrong; since eveyrone should be entitled to fair competittion regardless of marital status. Iam married; but I would not want the first pick of rotation before anyone else just because he is single.

Not bashing LUCOM or anything. But the lottery seems very wrong; since eveyrone should be entitled to fair competittion regardless of marital status. Iam married; but I would not want the first pick of rotation before anyone else just because he is single.

I would be furious about this if I were attending this school.

Hey guys! I am super open with my stats, i applied late in the game (Dec 1) and was just curious if others had similar stats as me and received interviews.
sGPA: 3.9
cGPA: 3.88
MCAT: 25

Thanks hope you all had a great holiday!

Lucom seems to value GPA more then MCAT so you should be good but you might have applied to late

I would be furious about this if I were attending this school.
It's funny how different the attitude is of those who actually do attend. I'm thankful to be apart of a class that that goes out of its way to serve and help its fellow student.

It's funny how different the attitude is of those who actually do attend. I'm thankful to be apart of a class that that goes out of its way to serve and help its fellow student.

This isn't "serving and helping" fellow students. It's screwing over a whole chunk of the class. Everyone goes into medical school (hopefully) realizing the necessary sacrifices to succeed. Deciding to go to medical school while married or with kids doesn't entitle someone to better educational opportunities. If the class knew before matriculating, then my feelings on this policy would be unjustified, but the poster implied that this is something currently being discussed.

Remember what I said about LUCOM not being for everyone? LUCOM gets an abnormally high percentage of married students because of this. If you don't like it, then you may not be the type of student to whom they are catering.

Is it "fair?" Honestly? No. But what is "fair?" That is a relative term.

If you look at my posts in this thread, I would think I've been very objective. I'm telling what I know of the school from my firsthand experience. This school will NOT be a good fit for every student. And as I said before, that's ENTIRELY ok.

If you are a student that is accepted into more than one school, you should go to the school that you feel is the best fit. If you are only accepted into one school, on top of being luckier than the vast number of applicants overall, your decision is much easier.

I am not advocating this school over all schools. I am advocating the advantages of this school versus other schools. Or telling about parts of the school that were a good fit for ME. I applied very broadly because

1) I can.

2) I wanted to make sure I didn't go to A medical school, I went to the school that was best for ME.

If aspects of this school do not appeal to you, then don't apply.

If you simply want to bash the school based on stats, then your argument is not particularly valid. I'm sure @DoctorSynthesis will trot out his 20 year old paper on how MCAT correlates to board scores. And perhaps it does. But tell me, how many of you have WORKED in a hospital with physicians? How many of you that have can tell me what their board scores are?

Go ahead and tell me. I'll wait.

Ok. Now that that's over. What matters is this school WILL graduate physicians. Some of them will be good physicians. Some will undoubtedly be mediocre. I'd say that's par for the course for most any school since stats don't make the physician. There is SO much more to being an actual licensed healthcare practitioner than board scores. There's book knowledge, there's an ability to think clinically. There's bedside manner. There's aptitude for business. There's an ability to handle working conditions that are stressful. There's time management. There's familiarity with EMR systems.

There is far more to making a good doctor than having the best score on A test or the best GPA. After all, most of us are qualified for medical school, yet only a small percentage of us get in. What separates those of us that get in from those that do not?

There's always more to the picture.

This isn't "serving and helping" fellow students. It's screwing over a whole chunk of the class. Everyone goes into medical school (hopefully) realizing the necessary sacrifices to succeed. Deciding to go to medical school while married or with kids doesn't entitle someone to better educational opportunities. If the class knew before matriculating, then my feelings on this policy would be unjustified, but the poster implied that this is something currently being discussed.

If there are plenty of sites for rotations, then the argument is moot. I could argue that forcing a father to go to rotations 3 hours from his infant daughter and requiring him to rent an apartment there would unnaturally stress him. Is it fair for the mother of three to not see her children for days at a time? Single people can more easily make that move.

I never said it was fair. But again, what IS fair? Is it fair to make families split for months at a time?

Again. Pick the school YOU go to based on what is the best fit FOR YOU.

To me, this is a HUGE advantage. This gives me peace of mind. That tells me I can go to this school and not regret picking it because I am separated from my family. At the end of the day, I will pick the school that is the best fit FOR ME.
I recommend all of you do the same.

I'm glad you attend a school that fits your values and that as I stated before the students don't share your sentiment here.

If there are plenty of sites for rotations, then the argument is moot. I could argue that forcing a father to go to rotations 3 hours from his infant daughter and requiring him to rent an apartment there would unnaturally stress him. Is it fair for the mother of three to not see her children for days at a time? Single people can more easily make that move.

I never said it was fair. But again, what IS fair? Is it fair to make families split for months at a time?

Again. Pick the school YOU go to based on what is the best fit FOR YOU.

To me, this is a HUGE advantage. This gives me peace of mind. That tells me I can go to this school and not regret picking it because I am separated from my family. At the end of the day, I will pick the school that is the best fit FOR ME.
I recommend all of you do the same.

I completely agree that there is nothing wrong with this policy if it's clear to students before applying. If the dean was talking about doing this with c/o 2020+ then I take back what I said. But if I found out first or second year that I was going to get sent out of town for rotations because families get priority, I would be super pissed. Nobody is forcing a father to go 3 hours away for rotations, or forcing families to split. That decision was made by the individual CHOOSING to start medical school with a family. What about students who decided NOT to get married, or NOT to have kids because they understood these types of risks beforehand?

Reactions: 5 users
I completely agree that there is nothing wrong with this policy if it's clear to students before applying. If the dean was talking about doing this with c/o 2020+ then I take back what I said. But if I found out first or second year that I was going to get sent out of town for rotations because families get priority, I would be super pissed. Nobody is forcing a father to go 3 hours away for rotations, or forcing families to split. That decision was made by the individual CHOOSING to start medical school with a family. What about students who decided NOT to get married, or NOT to have kids because they understood these types of risks beforehand?

I was told this at the interview. So before I plunk down any money to this school, I am aware of the policy. I see no problem with them instituting this policy for the class of 2019 or even earlier, provided they were also told at interview.

Before I make the decision to attend this school, I will have everything necessary to make informed consent. And from what the dean said, it isn't "being discussed." It is his policy and will be happening for the class of 2018. I cannot speak for that class, but I would probably assume that they were likewise informed of this plan, probably at interview. If anyone can clarify, that would be appreciated.

Does anybody know how many students end up on the waiting list? And if the waiting list is ordered? Thank you in advance.