Lincoln Memorial - DeBusk (LMU-DCOM) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi,

I got a phone call yesterday at 6pm Central time... I'm really excited!

I heard that more people dropped. So people on the waiting list there is still hope. Expect more phone calls next week and the following.
That's great news! Congrats! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Accepted off of the wait list today. Such a surreal feeling and I am very excited!

Reactions: 7 users
Accepted off of the wait list today. Such a surreal feeling and I am very excited!

Congratulations on being accepted! When was your interview/put on the wait list?

Same for the others who have been accepted when were you put on the wait list?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am so happy for each and everyone of you who have been accepted. I will be applying for the first time this coming cycle and this is my top choice and I hope to be here next year!

Sent from my LG-LS995 using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 users
Congratulations on being accepted! When was your interview/put on the wait list?

I interviewed in March and was waitlisted ~2 weeks after my interview.

I am so happy for each and everyone of you who have been accepted. I will be applying for the first time this coming cycle and this is my top choice and I hope to be here next year!

Sent from my LG-LS995 using Tapatalk

Best of luck to you!

Accepted from the waitlist yesterday! So excited!

I was put on the waitlist at the end of February. I sent in a LOI back in March with an update letter since I had applied and then another update letter at the beginning of May, knowing they would be reviewing waitlist applicants soon.

Reactions: 1 user

I was put on the waitlist at the end of February. I sent in a LOI back in March with an update letter since I had applied and then another update letter at the beginning of May, knowing they would be reviewing waitlist applicants soon.

Congrats! :)

Very happy and excited for you. Welcome to our class.

For current students, is attendance required for EPC and OPP lectures? I understand labs are mandatory, but the schedule is a bit vague in that it states EPC and OPP "activities" are mandatory.

Posted using SDN Mobile

For current students, is attendance required for EPC and OPP lectures? I understand labs are mandatory, but the schedule is a bit vague in that it states EPC and OPP "activities" are mandatory.

Posted using SDN Mobile

Labs are mandatory, as are other things they have scheduled "Review of Systems presentations" (in the Spring), SIM lab, OSCE (basically the simulation, real doctor stuff). Lectures aren't mandatory...or I hope not, because I didn't go to a majority of them.

Labs are mandatory, as are other things they have scheduled "Review of Systems presentations" (in the Spring), SIM lab, OSCE (basically the simulation, real doctor stuff). Lectures aren't mandatory...or I hope not, because I didn't go to a majority of them.

Good to know. Thanks much.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know the success rate of students doing MS in Anatomical Sciences and getting into LMU DCOM? Thank you

Hi there! I just wanted to let you know there is hope if you are still hanging out on the waiting list. :) I interviewed in mid March and was put on the waiting list a couple of weeks later. I just got the call this AM at 7:15 CST that I've been accepted! Yay! Congrats to all who have already been accepted and good luck to those still waiting to hear!

Reactions: 5 users
Hi there! I just wanted to let you know there is hope if you are still hanging out on the waiting list. :) I interviewed in mid March and was put on the waiting list a couple of weeks later. I just got the call this AM at 7:15 CST that I've been accepted! Yay! Congrats to all who have already been accepted and good luck to those still waiting to hear!

Congrats!!!! :)

Very happy and excited for all how got in and who are getting the calls from the wait list now. Tomorrow could be life changer form some one. Thursdays are the days to wait for those calls. Good luck to all who are waiting.

Hey Everyone congrats to everyone! I just got accepted myself! I am so humbled and overly joyed! However I am running around like a chicken with it's head cut off to get everything done. Any recommendations, suggestions on housing?, anyone potentially looking roommates? and is there a facebook group?

Hey Everyone congrats to everyone! I just got accepted myself! I am so humbled and overly joyed! However I am running around like a chicken with it's head cut off to get everything done. Any recommendations, suggestions on housing?, anyone potentially looking roommates? and is there a facebook group?

Hello and congrats! You will find answers to all of your questions in the facebook group called "DCOM 2018" https://www.facebook.com/groups/dcom2018/

I've seen people post about looking for roommates a number of times now. Everyone in this group is extremely helpful, and I am certain that you won't be running around like said chicken for much longer, haha. If you need help with Certified Profile, you'll see umpteen posts about it haha (lots by me :p).

Very happy for you. Welcome to our class. Yea, join the Facebook page DCOM class of 2018. You may also message me if you have any questions. I would love to help you in any way I can.

Congrats to everyone!

This may be a silly question, but I recently sent in my deposit and feel as if time is running short. I have not received any instructions on what else I need to do. If anyone could help me get a little bit of a head start, that would be great! Also any idea when I will hear what all I need to do?

Congrats to everyone!

This may be a silly question, but I recently sent in my deposit and feel as if time is running short. I have not received any instructions on what else I need to do. If anyone could help me get a little bit of a head start, that would be great! Also any idea when I will hear what all I need to do?
I'd start by looking for housing and filling out your FAFSA. It takes a few days for their office to receive and process the deposit :) also, you should join the Facebook group! DCOM 2018

Congrats to everyone!

I would stay in touch with Robin Lamb or Rebecca and ask them any question you have. Both of them are wonderful ladies and would help you in any way they can. And yea, join the face book group.

I'd start by looking for housing and filling out your FAFSA. It takes a few days for their office to receive and process the deposit :) also, you should join the Facebook group! DCOM 2018

Once the deposit is processed, do they email you your login information for the pathway system? And is that where I find everything that I need to complete?

Once the deposit is processed, do they email you your login information for the pathway system? And is that where I find everything that I need to complete?
Yes. You will get an email with instructions on how to set up your LMU pathway email account etc.. Once you fill out your FAFSA and it gets processed you will be instructed to log into your LMU pathway account and either accept or reject the loan.

Looks like not very many people got a call this Thursday. May be the class is almost full.

Is it worth going to the Masters of Science despite of not having a guarantee of getting in the following year and the price of the Masters?

Is it worth going to the Masters of Science despite of not having a guarantee of getting in the following year and the price of the Masters?

I did not do the Masters so I can only comment on what I've seen and heard. It seems that about everyone who was in the Masters program, applied to the DO program, and had As and Bs were accepted. I know of only two students that didn't get in and that was because they had a C average. During your first year of the DO program, you are then only required to take classes you haven't taken in your masters (basically only half). Beyond that, roughly 8-10 of the former Masters students work in the anatomy lab as TAs so they're getting paid.

There are definitely pros and cons to both but if you're determined to become a DO at DCOM and are willing to put in the work to ensure you're a competitive applicant, go for it!

I did not do the Masters so I can only comment on what I've seen and heard. It seems that about everyone who was in the Masters program, applied to the DO program, and had As and Bs were accepted. I know of only two students that didn't get in and that was because they had a C average. During your first year of the DO program, you are then only required to take classes you haven't taken in your masters (basically only half). Beyond that, roughly 8-10 of the former Masters students work in the anatomy lab as TAs so they're getting paid.

There are definitely pros and cons to both but if you're determined to become a DO at DCOM and are willing to put in the work to ensure you're a competitive applicant, go for it!

I did the post-bacc program but there have been significant changes since it became a Masters program so I would take what I say with a grain of salt. Most people that have As/Bs get in, granted they have decent MCAT scores (I would shoot for 25 or higher). It isn't 1/2 the OMS1 courseload but you won't have to take Anatomy, Histology, maybe neuroanatomy if you do well enough in the program--which is still a significant help

I'm in the Master's program right now so hopefully will be joining my classmates to come back here in the fall as a first year. Majority of the Master's class has been accepted, a few are waitlisted.

Which master's guarantees an interview for DCOM?

Which master's guarantees an interview for DCOM?
Are you referring to the anatomical science, and biomedical professions? They all guarantee an interview if you maintain a 3.0 average. But shoot for A's in the med school courses. That will help quite a bit.

I am referring to both but looking specifically at anatomical science.

Also I have weighed out my options and have decided to attend the Master's program - anatomical science; It's exciting and nerve racking, but can't wait to meet you all. :)

Also I have weighed out my options and have decided to attend the Master's program - anatomical science; It's exciting and nerve racking, but can't wait to meet you all. :)

good luck! I did the post-bacc (now the master's) and am starting my 2nd year at dcom. So it's definitely a good program. :)

w8 a second! you're giving up your waitlisted spot just like that?!

Gave up my seat today. Best of luck to those still waiting for a spot.

I'm starting the MS program in a couple weeks, so I don't have much to offer. However, I can tell you the current matriculation rate from this past years MS students to DCOM is 91%, with 2 students waitlisted. I'll take hard work and 91% any day, even though no guarantee is made.

I am stuck on one of the short essays "
Medical school requires a huge commitment in time and energy. Have you prepared for this commitment?
"

I don't really understand how anybody can write an essay based on this yes /no type question.

Medical school requires a huge commitment in time and energy. Have you prepared for this commitment?
"

I don't really understand how anybody can write an essay based on this yes /no type question.
Realize that that is not the question they are asking you. They are actually asking you: "How have you prepared yourself?"

To answer this, you can use case scenarios to explain how a certain struggle has improved your time management. Perhaps a noisy roommate, or how you realized after making a C in some class that you can't sit around being a bum and eating Cheetos all day. You get the idea :)

PS- Also not a good idea to use your real name on SDN

"

They want to see your level of commitment and to see that you understand what you are getting into. Telling stories and giving examples are a great way to do this.

P.s. Most schools ask this question in one way or another.

I am interviewing here next month. I know that this is everyones first year, but does anyone have any info on this school? For example, reasons you would/would not choice LMU over other schools (particularly DMU or KCUMB)? Thanks!

I am interviewing here next month. I know that this is everyones first year, but does anyone have any info on this school? For example, reasons you would/would not choice LMU over other schools (particularly DMU or KCUMB)? Thanks!
Hey, I'm a first year at LMU-DCOM. One of the main reasons that this school is so appealing to many people is that it truly is in the Goldilocks years. The school was only opened a handful of years ago, and because of that, the facilities are brand new, and everything in them is state of the art. All of our lectures are recorded and made available to the students to play back at their leisure, including annotations that the professors make during their presentations. We have brand new labs with new examination tables that are open for you to practice whenever you want. We also have a Sim lab which is built just like a doctors office with multiple exam rooms. Students are also allowed in there whenever they want. A brand new anatomy lab for cadaver dissection tops it off. With one donor to every 8-10 students, you get a hands-on experience that hardly anyone else in the country gets. All of our professors are hand selected because they are some of the best in the country at what they do. On the other side of the coin, DCOM has graduated enough classes to build a reputation of one of the best producing schools in the US. If I'm not mistaken, at the time I started no graduating class from the previous four years had been below #5 in the nation for their residency placement rates among DO schools, which is astonishing.
Team everything I said with the fact that you get to open up your window every morning to the Appalachian mountains of the Cumberland Gap, and you have just about the best all round DO school in the country.
Hope that's been helpful!

Reactions: 5 users
I sent my secondary in on 10/19 along with all LORs. On 10/28, I emailed them to ask whether my letters had arrived. However, I got no word from DCOM since then. I am so nervous!

Did any of you receive a complete email? How long after you submitted? Also, how far apart is between being complete and receiving an ii?

Thank you all! :)

make sure you are in the correct year's thread, everyone :)

Sorry and thank you! My bad!

I've posted on the other thread already. I'm not a donor yet, so I can't delete my posts.