Michigan State c/o 2019 Applicants!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Are they still sending out invites for the MMI? I submitted my supplemental and VMCAS at the end of September and then the end of October. I know on there website it says they are doing MMI's until February but have all the invites gone out already? I just want to know at this point. My stats are good I think and my SIS is like 872 so I'm trying to be hopeful.

Yes there's plenty of time. You're not one of the first few to get it because you turned in your apps pretty late.

Members don't see this ad.

I went to a meeting about interview days today. They are interviewing 420 people! :eek:

Members don't see this ad :)
That's SOOOO many.... geeze louise....

Also, I'm in group 1 (blue)...check in's at 7:45am....kill me now....

420 total as of now. I don't know the breakdown of OOS vs IS.
I don't know much more. Other than I will be giving tours on 12/13.

420 total as of now. I don't know the breakdown of OOS vs IS.
I don't know much more. Other than I will be giving tours on 12/13.
As of now as in that is the total number of slots, or the total number of invites as of now?

As of now as in that is the total number of slots, or the total number of invites as of now?
This is what I understood- the committee reviewed applicants and has decided they want to offer interviews to 420 people. And many people have already signed up for interviews- this is why they added more dates. They are interviewing 84 people on each of the interview days.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
This is what I understood- the committee reviewed applicants and has decided they want to offer interviews to 420 people. And many people have already signed up for interviews- this is why they added more dates. They are interviewing 84 people on each of the interview days.
So just shy of 50% of their applicants using last year's total. Wowza. Is this the only school that interviews this many?

Also:

desk_flip.jpg

Well, at least you made the interview cut! One step at a time. :)

Finally got the invitation to interview! At least I know I have a shot now.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm pretty sure Illinois and Tufts interviews almost that large of a percentage of their applicants too

Honestly, I have a hard time seeing the point of interviewing THAT many people..... the interviews can't possibly weigh enough for them to be unable to narrow it down to a smaller number than that...... It gets unbelievably expensive,not to mention stressful, for people to interview with such large groups when there is still such a small chance of getting in.....

I guess I should stay quiet considering I'm lucky enough to have an interview, and I am thankful...but...geeze....

I'm pretty sure Illinois and Tufts interviews almost that large of a percentage of their applicants too

Honestly, I have a hard time seeing the point of interviewing THAT many people..... the interviews can't possibly weigh enough for them to be unable to narrow it down to a smaller number than that...... It gets unbelievably expensive,not to mention stressful, for people to interview with such large groups when there is still such a small chance of getting in.....

I guess I should stay quiet considering I'm lucky enough to have an interview, and I am thankful...but...geeze....
I think Illinois caps at 300. But yeah 420 is an obscene amount. Like, really. It makes me think that they have no idea how these interviews are going to go (plus I'm a pessimist).

But, the tiny little optimist inside of me wants to remind everyone that even if your interview goes terribly (which it won't, because we are all awesome), they are still going to re-review your file!!

But, the tiny little optimist inside of me wants to remind everyone that even if your interview goes terribly (which it won't, because we are all awesome), they are still going to re-review your file!!

Pfft the optimist inside me says getting an interview for vet school is still something worth celebrating. Also, where did I put that "I told you so" gif . . .

Reactions: 1 users
Pfft the optimist inside me says getting an interview for vet school is still something worth celebrating. Also, where did I put that "I told you so" gif . . .
Told me so what?? :shrug:

That's SOOOO many.... geeze louise....

Also, I'm in group 1 (blue)...check in's at 7:45am....kill me now....

This might be a stupid question, but what do you mean by "group 1 (blue)"? Where would I find what group I am in?

Look at the top of the itinerary they sent you and it should say your group number and color.

Are they still sending out invites for the MMI? I submitted my supplemental and VMCAS at the end of September and then the end of October. I know on there website it says they are doing MMI's until February but have all the invites gone out already? I just want to know at this point. My stats are good I think and my SIS is like 872 so I'm trying to be hopeful.
Sorry, was out of town and not looking at the forums. Yes, MMI's are still going out (I believe some are going out this morning even) so keep a lookout. I think more emails will be going out for a couple more weeks as well so even those who submitted their supplemental applications at the end of Oct or early Nov should also keep a lookout.

I got an interview and was wondering if anyone knows how the MMI work? Are they behavioral? How many do we have? Thanks!

Look at the top of the itinerary they sent you and it should say your group number and color.
Did you receive the itinerary after your given time to register for an interview? I don't thinkn I've received one.

Did you receive the itinerary after your given time to register for an interview? I don't thinkn I've received one.
I registered for January 9th and haven't gotten one. I'm sure we'll get one in the next few weeks though (assuming you are not in the first group!).

Yeah you have a given amount of time to choose your MMI date on the portal. After that date passes and your time is set, they send out an email. But I guess if your chosen interview date is not in the near future they won't send you the itinerary just yet.. probably

I'm on the 2/13 boat in the afternoon! There's a ton of space available but I really only got to choose this date :/ Nothing else was open..oh well I'm just excited to have an interview!

Happy thanksgiving everyone!
I'm not honestly all that surprised that they're interviewing so many applicants! A lot of people are going to have sis scores above 790 so I sort of expected it. I'm not exactly looking forward to the MMIs though! Sooooo stressful! (I also just received an email that they need my professional photo uploaded-bad me!)

Hey guys, having trouble re-accessing the info for my interview.. It's not until February so I'm not that worried, but just wondering if anyone else has been having issues with accessing that part of the website?

Hey guys, having trouble re-accessing the info for my interview.. It's not until February so I'm not that worried, but just wondering if anyone else has been having issues with accessing that part of the website?
I can't get in either :)

Still haven't heard back about an interview... my supplement was due on Nov. 7 and my SIS score was above the recommended one, so I thought that I had a pretty good chance at scoring an interview. Has anyone else not heard anything back from them yet or is it just me? :(

Still haven't heard back about an interview... my supplement was due on Nov. 7 and my SIS score was above the recommended one, so I thought that I had a pretty good chance at scoring an interview. Has anyone else not heard anything back from them yet or is it just me? :(

Mine was due on the 7th as well and haven't heard anything yet >___> but I think it's because our deadline was so late. Hehe, oh so I hope :p

Mine was due on the 7th as well and haven't heard anything yet >___> but I think it's because our deadline was so late. Hehe, oh so I hope :p
Me too. This wait is driving me nuts!

You're freaking over nothing. I was in the first batch to receive the supplemental in September and the first batch to get the interview invite TWO whole months later. It hasn't even been a month for you. I know the wait is horrible, but you just need to know that unlike most schools, they send out interviews based on the order in which they received the VMCAS app, so you'll get yours eventually but it wont be until later because you submitted your application later in the cycle. Again, stop freaking out and go have a margarita or something. You'll get your interview before you know it. :)

You're freaking over nothing. I was in the first batch to receive the supplemental in September and the first batch to get the interview invite TWO whole months later. It hasn't even been a month for you. I know the wait is horrible, but you just need to know that unlike most schools, they send out interviews based on the order in which they received the VMCAS app, so you'll get yours eventually but it wont be until later because you submitted your application later in the cycle. Again, stop freaking out and go have a margarita or something. You'll get your interview before you know it. :)
I support you in your margarita drinking.

Reactions: 2 users
Is anyone else who is interviewing next week starting to get SUPER nervous?!?! I feel like these MMIs are so hard to prepare for!!!

Also... I can't remember if I asked this or just thought about asking it so my apologies if I did but, do we know how long after interviews it is before we start to hear back?

Is anyone else who is interviewing next week starting to get SUPER nervous?!?! I feel like these MMIs are so hard to prepare for!!!

Also... I can't remember if I asked this or just thought about asking it so my apologies if I did but, do we know how long after interviews it is before we start to hear back?
I know makes me feel nauseated just thinking about it :/ I get so nervous. I don't really even know how to prepare... how are you preparing?

Good luck to you guys! Let us know how smoothly everything went. I bet the admissions office is running around preparing right about now. I couple of vets I know have been asked to do the interviews, so it sounds like they are going to have a lot of people there.

I'm so excited! I can't wait. :D

Just got my interview invitation! Submitted my app on the 31st of october so pretty understandable as to why I got it so late!

MSU posted on their website that seven stations are set up covering the follow topics "maturity, ethical judgment, compassion, sociability, disposition, cultural competence, and self awareness". So it is pretty possible that each station will judge one of these areas each, and/or a mixtures (sociability for example might be all of them). And since they used the word scenario it could be similar something like "Dog came down with xyz owner/client who couldn't pay what would you do?" probs way more complex but maybe something similar. Or it could be way more straightforward such as "Tell us your thoughts and opinions on xyz topic". I also have talked to a few veterinarians that I work with about their thoughts and opinions on the current topics in veterinary medicine, such as people going to the internet for their information instead of professionals, blue buffalo etc. Just a thought on that!

Why did you guys choose to apply to MSU?? I'm worried they will ask this during the interview and I can't really come up with anything specific other than that I could see myself living in Lansing....

Why did you guys choose to apply to MSU?? I'm worried they will ask this during the interview and I can't really come up with anything specific other than that I could see myself living in Lansing....
These may or may not apply to you: No tracking, 1.5 years of clinics as opposed to just 1 yr, caseload, technology (MRI/CT/IR)

Don't take this as me being rude, but you really should have good reasons for applying to any vet school. What are your interests? How does the school's curriculum, research, etc. offer you a chance to become a better veterinarian? Mine are the fact that the school has a wildlife ward and works closely with the local zoo and has a ACZM boarded vet on staff that I could work under, the opportunities to gain large animal/food animal experience (something I would like to learn more about, at the very least, and falls under no tracking), and that they offer a residency in zoo/wildlife medicine.

Also, since it's MMI, I don't know that they would ask you that. Unless they can somehow work it into one of those 7 categories.

Has anyone had their interview yet? I have mine on February 7th

Has anyone had their interview yet? I have mine on February 7th

The first interviews are this upcoming weekend. We'll let you guys know how it went. :)