Michigan State c/o 2021 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have a question about the personal hardship essay for the supplemental application. I have already submitted my application for other schools but I am waiting to submit MSU's because ETS is still down and I can't upload a copy of my GRE scores. I have rewritten my personal hardship essay about thirty times because I am not sure if I should include it or not. My junior year of college, I was a victim of a sexual assault. In dealing with the medical and legal aftermath, I had to withdraw from classes and move home with my family. However, my main reasoning behind including this in my application is to emphasis how I overcame it. I spent my summer taking close to 20 credit hours, working with a horse rescue and working as a volunteer coordinator at the local humane society. I have also now started a free-self defense class for female college students that is taught once a week on campus by my father (who is a police officer) and a support group for victims of sexual assault. I am only asking because I would like opinions on if this would be an acceptable topic. Up until then, I was fortunate enough to not have faced any significant personal hardships so I am at a loss for what else I could possibly discuss. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Your willingness to share your story is a true testament to your strength. If you feel empowered to disclose this in your hardship essay I would encourage you. Sending you many well wishes!

Members don't see this ad.

I have a question about the personal hardship essay for the supplemental application. I have already submitted my application for other schools but I am waiting to submit MSU's because ETS is still down and I can't upload a copy of my GRE scores. I have rewritten my personal hardship essay about thirty times because I am not sure if I should include it or not. My junior year of college, I was a victim of a sexual assault. In dealing with the medical and legal aftermath, I had to withdraw from classes and move home with my family. However, my main reasoning behind including this in my application is to emphasis how I overcame it. I spent my summer taking close to 20 credit hours, working with a horse rescue and working as a volunteer coordinator at the local humane society. I have also now started a free-self defense class for female college students that is taught once a week on campus by my father (who is a police officer) and a support group for victims of sexual assault. I am only asking because I would like opinions on if this would be an acceptable topic. Up until then, I was fortunate enough to not have faced any significant personal hardships so I am at a loss for what else I could possibly discuss. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Yes, you should definitely include it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Finally got verified yesterday and received the "thanks for applying" email today. :happy:
Also just got the "Thanks" email - got a real "hurry up and wait" feeling now, haha.

Trying to think of good ways to keep busy and not think about invites - probably going to join some new clubs :heckyeah:

I just wanted to add that I went to an admissions presentation a few months ago and they said the lowest SIS score to be accepted last year was 840. So you're definitely in the clear! I'm sure it changes every year but this definitely made me feel a little better. My SIS score is around 860 too. The GRE was not very kind to me!

did they say what the average SIS score was?

I just wanted to add that I went to an admissions presentation a few months ago and they said the lowest SIS score to be accepted last year was 840. So you're definitely in the clear! I'm sure it changes every year but this definitely made me feel a little better. My SIS score is around 860 too. The GRE was not very kind to me!

When this statement was made did they specify to you whether it was for instate or OOS? The SIS scores to be competitive for OOS and IS are vastly different.

Reactions: 1 user
No they didn't distinguish that. I'm assuming that is probably instate.

At a meeting this summer with admin staff, when asked about competitive SIS scores Dr. Hilda Abreu offered a very limited response to our group that stated anything above a 790 is competitive. I do think it is obvious that what they are truly staying is if you have above a 790 you are in the running.

Here's the thing that I think is important to note... Your SIS score only tells part of the story.
I would not be encouraged or discouraged by the fact that presumably the lowest SIS score to be accepted was 840. I know people that had higher SIS scores that were waitlisted for instate... You may have a SIS score of 890 but if you do not have the experience, communication skills, and LOR's of the person with a SIS score of 830, you will quickly get surpassed in file review and later, in interviews. MSU is truly looking for well rounded applicants so as I said before, don't let your average or excellent SIS score encourage or discourage you.

Reactions: 2 users
Everything we could possibly do until interviews is done: The VMCAS Submission deadline is tonight!
Beyond thankful that I have submitted and verified already. Best of luck to everyone, especially those still waiting on materials or verification.

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know if MSU would/when like to receive our fall transcripts and if our fall courses are used in the calculation of our GPAs?
I'm not able to find the information online-Thanks!

Does anyone know if MSU would/when like to receive our fall transcripts and if our fall courses are used in the calculation of our GPAs?

You could email them and ask, but I'm assuming they will calculate those gpas without those grades

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I went back through my old emails, and I got one in June about sending final transcripts by July 15th. I took a gap year last year so I don't know when or if fall transcripts were due.

I believe final transcripts are due in July. Your GPA calculations don't include anything taken after summer 2016.

So me being dumb, I didn't realize until today that Michigan State takes only the last 18 credit hours for graduate work. Seeing as this excludes one of my only two B's, it raised that GPA for me and ended up raising my SIS score by 12 points!! :)

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I havent gotten to see any of the 3d bone yet, but apparently you can get them made in a few different colors. We've got to pay for them if we want them currently, I think the whole set runs just under $200. The skull is the most expensive part by far, and I dont think they've got any of the vertebra available yet either.

Same!! Congrats! I am SO happy right now!

Also received an interview invitation today. Congratulations to all!!! Leaving tomorrow for my interview at Iowa State University so feeling a little overjoyed over here. :D

Same!! I also received my interview invite today hoping for the 9th in the afternoon! On my way to Iowa State tomorrow as well for an interview tomorrow with wallydo! Wishing you all the best of luck!!

congrats!! Are all of you IS applicants? Have any OOS people gotten an invite yet?

congrats!! Are all of you IS applicants? Have any OOS people gotten an invite yet?

LuckySpartan and I are IS as well. Fingers crossed that you will hear soon.

LuckySpartan and I are IS as well. Fingers crossed that you will hear soon.

Thanks! my calculated SIS score is somewhat high (I think?, 934) so I *feel* like I'm in a good place to get an interview, but I
I'm nervous since the only place I've heard back from at all was a rejection (glasgow) :(

Good luck yall! It can be a lot of fun, and a little scary. Kind of like a roller coaster :)

I was in the OOS pool and think I got my email for a interview in January

Does anyone know if MSU uses the +/- system when calculating GPA's or if they round to the letter grade? I've been hunting around their admissions site trying to find the answer but no luck!

Does anyone know if MSU uses the +/- system when calculating GPA's or if they round to the letter grade? I've been hunting around their admissions site trying to find the answer but no luck!

I wasn't aware that rounding to the letter grade was even a thing... but anyways when they sent me my GPAs at the end of last cycle they matched the ones I had calculated myself so I would say there was no rounding going on there. Does that help?

I wasn't aware that rounding to the letter grade was even a thing... but anyways when they sent me my GPAs at the end of last cycle they matched the ones I had calculated myself so I would say there was no rounding going on there. Does that help?

Haha yeah it does help! I'm assuming that means your school used a +/- system then? I know VMCAS disregards +/- ( so a B- and a B+ carry the same weight) but I forget which veterinary programs do and don't factor them in.

Haha yeah it does help! I'm assuming that means your school used a +/- system then? I know VMCAS disregards +/- ( so a B- and a B+ carry the same weight) but I forget which veterinary programs do and don't factor them in.

Yes, my school used a +/- system. I can't say I've ever looked too closely at my VMCAS GPAs other than to look at general trends so I wasn't aware they did that either.

Congrats on the interviews!!

Also, could the people who received interviews post their stats, if you don't mind. I've been checking my email constantly hoping to hear for one of the schools I applied to.

Someone on the APVMA group on facebook said they heard from the admissions team that OOS people should start hearing about interviews in december.

I'm OOS as well and got an interview this morning :)

Congrats to those who got interviews!! Quick question, does Michigan a state send their OOS interviews out in rounds? Just wondering because some of my friends and I haven't heard anything yet.

Congrats to those who got interviews!! Quick question, does Michigan a state send their OOS interviews out in rounds? Just wondering because some of my friends and I haven't heard anything yet.

Yeah they do. I only received my interview invite OOS in December/ January (can't remember but I think it was early January) and had my interview in February. I'm here now so not getting an interview right away means nothing!

Last edited:
does anyone know if they wait until after the last interviews to make decisions or do people that interview earlier hear back earlier?

I know they are doing things a bit differently this year but last year... the majority of people were notified within a week to ten days following their interviews if they were accepted.

I know they are doing things a bit differently this year but last year... the majority of people were notified within a week to ten days following their interviews if they were accepted.
In what sense are they doing things differently this year?

In what sense are they doing things differently this year?

The entire process is slightly different because of the earlier deadline but I was referring to the way they are sending out interview invites. Last year they sent out the majority IS and OOS at one time and this year they did IS first then OOS. So I am not sure how that will hinder the way they send acceptances.

Last edited:
I am OOS, and received an interview invite this morning! I haven't decided on the date yet, but likely looking at early January.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I was told when I called in that they accept everyone after all the interviews are done (February).

OOS here and received my interview invite this morning! I'm so excited and so nervous ha. Can't wait to meet all the other applicants who are interviewing!

OOS here and received my interview invite this morning! I'm so excited and so nervous ha. Can't wait to meet all the other applicants who are interviewing!
Congratulations! I did as well! How exciting :)

Congrats to everyone who has received an invite so far!! Would you mind sharing your SIS scores?

I got my interview invite too! OOS