Michigan State University (MSUCOM) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I dont want a lot for christmas. There is just one thing I need. I dont care about the presents, underneath the christmas tree! All i want for christmas is msu! Sjabakdlcl can i just become a doc already?!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I dont want a lot for christmas. There is just one thing I need. I dont care about the presents, underneath the christmas tree! All i want for christmas is msu! Sjabakdlcl can i just become a doc already?!

you and me both!!!

Naw. It'll be funny for me to try and guess who the multiple SDN people are! :p Can you share what you think of the MSUCOM facilities? I haven't been able to see too much from their Powerpoint tour and haven't had a great response on here.

East Lansing=dungeon according to You Tube. ;)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Naw. It'll be funny for me to try and guess who the multiple SDN people are! :p Can you share what you think of the MSUCOM facilities? I haven't been able to see too much from their Powerpoint tour and haven't had a great response on here.

The classes for the DO school are all located in one building that looks okay..nothing special...I didn't get a chance to look at their anatomy lab..one of the administrators told me that the Dean of MSU have been talking about building a new building for the DO school..but no decision has been made yet..overall I wasn't impressed with where the classes were held but the surrounding area of the building is really nice

I would agree with bionerd89's sentiments. The building itself is a bit underwhelming, but the OMM lab looked great. We also didn't get to see the anatomy lab, but the students doing our tour said it's right on par with Wayne and other IS schools. There were an abundant amound of studying areas in the building which was great to see and, realistically, you probably won't be spending too much time there outside of labs. One of my student guides estimated that maybe 25% of students went to lecture, so really, most students are streaming them either live or shortly after the lecture is complete. IMO all pre-clerkship years are about the same and this wasn't really ever going to be a deciding factor for me. Where MSUCOM blows other schools out of the water is their clerkship years with the State-wide Campus system which includes 26 core rotation sites all across MI. With ~60% of all AOA residencies located in MI, this is a great opportunity to get your foot in the door at many of these hospitals, which to me is much more important than a jazzy-looking building for my first two years. I will admit that the basement is a little dungeon-y though!

Reactions: 4 users
True, but they have an awesome game room down there, though! :)
That study lounge is sweet! Totally forgot to mention that. I definitely plan on partaking in some "friendly" ping-pong matches!

That study lounge is sweet! Totally forgot to mention that. I definitely plan on partaking in some "friendly" ping-pong matches!

Haha "friendly," from what they told us, it gets really intense! The professors said they can hear screaming during ping-pong all the way down the halls! See you on the court (table) next year!

Last edited:
Just got an e-mail offering a spot on the wait list... They do want me to schedule a day to come to the site and spend 3 hours for a tour though. Does anyone know more details about this, they explained it but it was kind of vague. Is the dress attire formal, I'm assuming?

Just got an e-mail offering a spot on the wait list... They do want me to schedule a day to come to the site and spend 3 hours for a tour though. Does anyone know more details about this, they explained it but it was kind of vague. Is the dress attire formal, I'm assuming?

That's awesome news! Congrats! I'm sure there will be enough movement. :)

Business-casual (if its one of the dates offered on the portal). Someone showed up in a full suit at mine, while there was another person in jeans and a button up. I suppose it varies, but I was told business-casual.

Ah congrats! Do you mind sharing if you're IS or OOS and your stats?

Members don't see this ad :)
26R/3.45/good clinical experience. Does the wait list typically move quickly? I feel like a large majority of people who get acceptances here submit a deposit, but then again I could be way off.

Your stats are very similar to mine...haven't heard anything back :(...submitted 10/19....when were you complete? Do they tell you your position on the waitlist?

26R/3.45/good clinical experience. Does the wait list typically move quickly? I feel like a large majority of people who get acceptances here submit a deposit, but then again I could be way off.
An advisor told me the majority of the movement happens in May so it doesn't sound like it. I was on it last yr and that's how I remember it. Are you in state or out of state?

Accepted!!!!!! IS 33M/3.5/ ~500+hrs volunteer, strong clinical exp. I got the call as I was driving home from my interview today and I could not be more excited and relieved. Best of luck to all of you working hard toward earning a well-deserved acceptance!

Reactions: 5 users
Got a waitlist offer.. :/ stats were 3.55cgpa/3.61sgpa, 26 mcat around 1500 volunteer and IS.

An advisor told me the majority of the movement happens in May so it doesn't sound like it. I was on it last yr and that's how I remember it. Are you in state or out of state?

in state

Another sad day for me. :(
#1... I'm trying to stay positive in thinking that the email said they wanna fill the class by February, so we still have next wk and then (I would think) most of January left to receive offers?

The EL facilities are ok. What I love is the location -- you definitely feel like you are at a university. The Macomb site was so beautiful I almost chose to go there... but then I realized how important location is. Plus I feel there are more opportunities at the EL campus since the lectures are live there and it seems there are more events. I should add, the reason the Macomb site is so great to me is the windows in all of the rooms. Fee Hall is a bit dungeon-like, but hey! It's a college campus... and it feels much nicer than even Marian in Indianapolis where I interviewed, and MU-COM's brand new! I'd say the facilities are adequate and you will be happy in EL just because it's MSU and has trees, a river, and plenty of happy students.

#1... I'm trying to stay positive in thinking that the email said they wanna fill the class by February, so we still have next wk and then (I would think) most of January left to receive offers?
A lot of my friends now in their 2nd or 3rd year weren't accepted until April or May. Some had been waitlisted in January. I wouldn't give up hope! Also, someone asked my one friend what her MCAT score was and she just laughed... lol That has to tell you something.

Reactions: 2 users

When did you finish applying, if I may ask? Congratulations :)

Your stats are very similar to mine...haven't heard anything back :(...submitted 10/19....when were you complete? Do they tell you your position on the waitlist?
Ya stats are similar to mine as well :( and i finished applying in AUGUST!

A lot of my friends now in their 2nd or 3rd year weren't accepted until April or May. Some had been waitlisted in January. I wouldn't give up hope! Also, someone asked my one friend what her MCAT score was and she just laughed... lol That has to tell you something.
Yeah. I think it's hard to hear and believe this advice, but my PI is also a pre-med advisor and has told me countless times that things continue to move up until the bitter end of things (haha my inclination is to, pessimistically, not believe her... regardless of her years of experience). It's still early to give up hope.

Wear a button down or sweater. Do not wear a full out suit! I wouldn't even recommend wearing a tie, but definitely no tennis shoes or jeans. Also, if in doubt about what color to wear, wear navy blue. I'm actually about to email them about my tour on January 24th to see if I can bring my mom. I found it strange no one else seemed to bring anyone to the open houses I went to, but my mom came with me and everything went great and it made her happy. I'll be sure to let everyone else know what they tell me concerning bringing anyone else on the tour. The tour should include a student panel where current students talk about their experiences and give you advice. There will be a ton of opportunities to ask questions. You will see the facilities and hear from faculty members about the overall COM experience. Nothing to stress about!

I've been creeping on this thread for quite sometime, but haven't posted yet. Just wanted to say I've been accepted to MSUCOM and am excited to meet any of you who will be my future classmates. I'm also applying for the DO-PhD program. For those of you still waiting to hear back, here's a brief overview of my profile:

Division I swimmer throughout college. Captain one year

Cummulative GPA: 3.72
Science GPA: 3.71
Biology BS and Psychology BA

First MCAT: 28 (phy:9, verb:10, bio:9)
Second MCAT: 27(phy:8,verb:9, bio:10)

Volunteer hours: a lot.

Currently work as a full time research assistant in Neuropharmacology dept (1 year).

I submitted my secondary at the end of October.

They told me when they called me that what they liked about my application was my letters of recommendation (from my former coach and current PI)
And they also said they like my answer for the question in the secondary about leadership.

I felt as if I was never going to hear back on anything but now I have and I'm accepted and so happy about it!! For those of you still waiting: relief will come, just keep swimming! (Finding Nemo reference).

Reactions: 5 users
I've been creeping on this thread for quite sometime, but haven't posted yet. Just wanted to say I've been accepted to MSUCOM and am excited to meet any of you who will be my future classmates. I'm also applying for the DO-PhD program. For those of you still waiting to hear back, here's a brief overview of my profile:

Currently work as a full time research assistant in Neuropharmacology dept (1 year).

They told me when they called me that what they liked about my application was my letters of recommendation (from my former coach and current PI)
And they also said they like my answer for the question in the secondary about leadership.

I felt as if I was never going to hear back on anything but now I have and I'm accepted and so happy about it!! For those of you still waiting: relief will come, just keep swimming! (Finding Nemo reference).

Congratulations!!! Your stats are great! I don't suppose you're Canadian, are you?

I agree -- you have a fantastic application. Congratulations!

Hey guys, in need of some advice here:

so I need 6 creds of English to meet MSU's requirement and I was planning on taking 2 courses in January so that I'd meet the requirement had I been accepted. The 2 courses that are available that I can take aren't the most interesting...there is a full year course starting next September which I'd love to take. I haven't heard anything back yet from MSU :( and I was debating whether I should take the two courses or wait till Sept 2014? Should I give them a call and ask?

Hey guys, in need of some advice here:

so I need 6 creds of English to meet MSU's requirement and I was planning on taking 2 courses in January so that I'd meet the requirement had I been accepted. The 2 courses that are available that I can take aren't the most interesting...there is a full year course starting next September which I'd love to take. I haven't heard anything back yet from MSU :( and I was debating whether I should take the two courses or wait till Sept 2014? Should I give them a call and ask?
Assuming you're just finishing the first semester of your senior year, I would take the courses in your spring semester so that you're prepared to go for June if you're accepted. I'm a little confused why you would still be taking a full year of classes after your application season? I suppose this makes sense if you're a post-graduate employed full-time somewhere and a year or two doesn't make much difference.

Of course calling them is always the best bet.

Just call them so you save yourself the trouble.

I have a similar problem but with biochemistry. I'm registered to take it at Oakland University this next semester, but I might as well just take in next fall and study over this next semester to retake the MCAT (the only area in my app that could be improved at this point).

I tried calling the office, but they are closed today on Friday. Advising appointments are pretty already into 2014 it looks like just for heads up for other people. :)

Assuming you're just finishing the first semester of your senior year, I would take the courses in your spring semester so that you're prepared to go for June if you're accepted. I'm a little confused why you would still be taking a full year of classes after your application season? I suppose this makes sense if you're a post-graduate employed full-time somewhere and a year or two doesn't make much difference.

Of course calling them is always the best bet.
I have a similar problem but with biochemistry. I'm registered to take it at Oakland University this next semester, but I might as well just take in next fall and study over this next semester to retake the MCAT (the only area in my app that could be improved at this point).

I tried calling the office, but they are closed today on Friday. Advising appointments are pretty already into 2014 it looks like just for heads up for other people. :)

Same here...I could def. improve my MCAT score... but I also like the idea of having all requirements fulfilled prior to the next application cycle.

Studyshy: I took biochemistry at oakland. Super easy - I actually took the online course (it doesnt show up as online on the transcript), and you have to go in to class only to take the tests. It worked out well!

Studyshy: I took biochemistry at oakland. Super easy - I actually took the online course (it doesnt show up as online on the transcript), and you have to go in to class only to take the tests. It worked out well!

That's funny that you mention that because that is what I'm registered for. Who was the prof? I work full time as a nurse in a hospital so this was easiest with my schedule.

I'm actually right now at a hotel because tomorrow I take my final for genetics at Oakland. To anyone reading this, DO NOT take online genetics at Oakland. In the well over 200 credit hours that I have taken, this has been my worst course experience. However, I do think that I can easily raise my BS section on the MCAT from a 10 to an 11 or maybe 12 with what I have learned this semester so that is the good news!

That's funny that you mention that because that is what I'm registered for. Who was the prof? I work full time as a nurse in a hospital so this was easiest with my schedule.

I'm actually right now at a hotel because tomorrow I take my final for genetics at Oakland. To anyone reading this, DO NOT take online genetics at Oakland. In the well over 200 credit hours that I have taken, this has been my worst course experience. However, I do think that I can easily raise my BS section on the MCAT from a 10 to an 11 or maybe 12 with what I have learned this semester so that is the good news!
I saw your post and did a double take. I am also taking genetics at Oakland right now. Thank goodness Dr. J doesn't look at SDN (or hopefully he doesn't). I'm really glad you said this wasn't a great experience, because I have been unimpressed and thought all online classes were like this. I live far enough away that if the snow is bad enough tomorrow, I might be able to take the final from home. If not, I'll see you tomorrow! I really hope you get offered a spot or at least an interview because based on your input here and in the class forums, I know you will blow them away!

I saw your post and did a double take. I am also taking genetics at Oakland right now. Thank goodness Dr. J doesn't look at SDN (or hopefully he doesn't). I'm really glad you said this wasn't a great experience, because I have been unimpressed and thought all online classes were like this. I live far enough away that if the snow is bad enough tomorrow, I might be able to take the final from home. If not, I'll see you tomorrow! I really hope you get offered a spot or at least an interview because based on your input here and in the class forums, I know you will blow them away!

Oh my gosh! No way! I've been dying to talk to someone from the class to see what they thought. I hope that he doesn't read SDN either, but I do have some suggestions on how the class can be better. Like, um quizzes are from a different publisher with different terminology, lol. I'm totally scared about tomorrow's exam and what kind of off the wall questions that will be on it. It would be great to meet you if the weather isn't bad! May we both get into our dream schools.....and pass genetics! :)

I took genetics last year at oakland. Not the online course but the class. It was with Dr. Wendell and I thought it was great. The online biochem course is not bad at all. Study the powerpoint slides! Thats all I did before the exams. I took it with Dr. Arik dvir (idk if im spelling this correctly). His exams were not difficult. Memorize everything he asks you to memorize and study the slides! Good luck!

Has anyone gotten into MSU with 5-6 repeats? When I talked with admissions, the lady seemed to say that the ADCOM preferred people who brought up their sGPA with new courses, rather than repeats. I have done both, but the biggest jump was from freshman repeats!

Has anyone gotten into MSU with 5-6 repeats? When I talked with admissions, the lady seemed to say that the ADCOM preferred people who brought up their sGPA with new courses, rather than repeats. I have done both, but the biggest jump was from freshman repeats!

Hmm I'm not too sure but during my phone appointment on Wednesday, I was told they place the greatest emphasis on your grades in upper level science courses. I also did poorly freshman year, but did very well from then on and was told my upward trend looks very good so not to worry.

If you did well in all of your upper levels (mostly 4.0 and a few 3.5) and the rest of your app looks good, then I doubt that would completely detriment your outcome. That's just my opinion though, so I think it might be worth it for you to call and follow-up on this with an admissions advisor for peace of mind. Good luck! :)

thanks DrOneDay, I was told the same thing, it was just a bummer though that I spent that time doing repeats(and getting A+s) when i could have been doing more upper levels. I do have 7-8 upper level biol's/physics, at a 3.74. I will take 2 more 400 levels before application time, and hope for the best.

I bombed the first semester of one of my upper science classes then 4.0d the second part the next semester and they seemed to like that improvement and then didn't care about the first class. If something was going that made you do poorly don't be afraid to tell them your excuse(s)! My 3rd time applying was when I finally said why I didn't do as well one semester and on the first MCAT (which I really should have voided) in my personal statement and then I was accepted. I did also retake the MCAT which was key for me, but an advisor will be able to tell you exactly what should get you accepted.

Hey guys, has anyone asked about how to update the school with grades?

List of MSUCOM acceptances that have been posted on here so far:

Theslicknerd
In State
Complete: Mid-July
Accepted: 9/12
MCAT: 31
GPA: 3.7
Volunteering: ~1000 hours

Colli512
In State
Complete: 7/29
No MCAT – early acceptance program
sGPA: 3.6
cGPA: 3.55

okokok
In State
nontraditional applicant
Complete: 7/21
MCAT: 30 (<8 in one section)
Volunteering: 1500+ hours

DOC9090
In State
Reapplicant
MCAT: 30

Zonday
In State
Complete: End of July
MCAT: 28

Dsmithr
In State
Accepted: 9/19
MCAT: 29
sGPA: 3.73
cGPA:3.75

SpartyOn17
In State
Complete: 8/19
Accepted: 10/3
MCAT: 38
GPA: 4.0

Revann22
Canadian
Accepted: 10/3
Undergrad GPA: 3.7
Post Grad GPA: 3.9
3+ years of clinical experience

Duff84
Complete: 7/20
Accepted: 10/4
GPA: 3.55
Medical assistant for 3.5 yrs

Remy LeBeau
OOS
Complete: 8/7
Accepted: 10/4
MCAT: 34
sGPA: 3.9
cGPA: 3.5
Post bacc GPA: 3.9

Lysine9740
In State
Complete: 8/1
Accepted: 10/10
MCAT: 25
GPA: 3.71

Medicines
In State
MCAT: 27
GPA: 3.95

Tap5133
OOS
Complete: 8/6
MCAT: 31
GPA: 3.65

DCM5
Canadian
Complete: First week of July
Accepted: 10/21
Volunteering: 1600+ hours

Resolutepremed
OOS
Accepted: 10/21
MCAT:31
non-scienceGPA: 3.5

DockyDoc
Accepted: 10/28
MCAT: 24
sGPA: 2.9
cGPA: 3.2

BlondeDoctor3
In State
Complete: 7/28
Accepted: 10/31
sGPA: 3.5
cGPA: 3.65

Audaz
Canadian
Complete: 8/2
Accepted: 10/31
MCAT: 25
cGPA: 3.9
Lots of volunteering and MS degree

Sarah25
Canadian
Complete: 8/29
Accepted: 11/7
GPA: 3.6

VisualEvolution
In State
Complete: 8/1
MCAT: 27
sGPA: 3.61
cGPA: 3.81

almostkorean
In State
Non-traditional applicant
Complete: 7/30
MCAT: 33
GPA: 3.4

Deandean25
GPA: 3.5
Volunteering: 1500 hrs

Jayb82388
In State
Accepted: 11/14
MCAT: 26
MS degree

Hockey40
In State
Complete: 7/17 (letters not in ‘till Sept)
Accepted: 11/14

HabisY
In State
Complete: 8/31
Accepted: 11/21
cGPA: 3.4

Johnamo
Complete: 9/10
Accepted: 11/21
MCAT: 36
GPA: <3.2

Premed2712
Canadian
Complete: 9/22
Accepted: 11/22
GPA: 3.95
Volunteering: 1000+ hours

Spartan2332
Reapplicant
GPA: 3.88

HelloMoto16
In State
Complete: 10/2
sGPA: 3.45
cGPA: 3.64
Grad GPA: 3.75

Bionerd89
OOS
Complete: 9/10
Accepted: 12/5
MCAT: 29
sGPA: 3.7
cGPA: 3.6

PreMedBarbie
sGPA: 3.65
cGPA: 3.8

Hunnypots
OOS
Non-traditional applicant
Complete: 10/12
Accepted: 12/6
sGPA: 3.0
cGPA: 3.0

Le Hospital
sGPA: 3.7
cGPA: 3.6
Voluteering: ~1000 hours

Brunofelix
In State
Accepted: 12/12
GPA: 3.5
Volunteering: ~500 hours

Cansav09
Complete: End of October
Accepted: 12/12
MCAT: 28, then 27
cGPA: 3.72
sGPA: 3.71

Reactions: 9 users
Wow, well I'd imagine that list must have taken you more than just a minute or two to compose. It's very helpful though so thanks for posting that!

Wow, well I'd imagine that list must have taken you more than just a minute or two to compose. It's very helpful though so thanks for posting that!
Lol I have been compiling the stats for a while so I thought I would show everyone else :)