Michigan State University (MSUCOM) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What's your MCAT studyshy? I'm trying to see if there's a pattern at all with who's left to hear back. My gpa's are a little lower than their averages but my MCAT is a 27 and I'm hoping that'll at least get me a wait list spot..

Lower than 27, but I've seen people accepted with my MCAT with lower GPAs over the past several years. I think that anything lower than a 28 puts applicants at serious risk even if they are perfect in other areas. I've been keeping track of the Lizzy M numbers for those who have been accepted. I'd say the average (including science GPA) is about 100 with a range of about 96-103+. Mine sits at 100 with 20,000+ clinical hours (medic, mental health tech, nurse, birthing doula)and several thousand plus volunteer hours.

I think that I was a really naïve premed to think that schools really cared about volunteerism and well-roundedness. It's all about stats, and especially high MCATs and there are a lot of well-qualified pre-meds that they get to choose from. People like me who don't measure up in all areas get left in the dust.

I have decided to retake the MCAT in the spring and reapply next year. I really like MSUCOM so I think it is worth trying again.

I remember feeling really bad for you last year. I though for sure you'd get off the waitlist. You were put on it so early in the season.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Lower than 27, but I've seen people accepted with my MCAT with lower GPAs over the past several years. I think that anything lower than a 28 puts applicants at serious risk even if they are perfect in other areas. I've been keeping track of the Lizzy M numbers for those who have been accepted. I'd say the average (including science GPA) is about 100 with a range of about 96-103+. Mine sits at 100 with 20,000+ clinical hours (medic, mental health tech, nurse, birthing doula)and several thousand plus volunteer hours.

I think that I was a really naïve premed to think that schools really cared about volunteerism and well-roundedness. It's all about stats, and especially high MCATs and there are a lot of well-qualified pre-meds that they get to choose from. People like me who don't measure up in all areas get left in the dust.

I have decided to retake the MCAT in the spring and reapply next year. I really like MSUCOM so I think it is worth trying again.

I remember feeling really bad for you last year. I though for sure you'd get off the waitlist. You were put on it so early in the season.

Haha yeah that was definitely rough.. Lori was a little surprised/confused that they had wait listed me so early last cycle, which didn't exactly make me feel better but hey. I think it's reasonable to say that good clinical experience and volunteerism can get you a spot despite low stats. I've definitely seen it. Unfortunately, I have a feeling a large portion of that chance has to do with luck like a later MCAT might delay your window of being looked at or something. Stuff along those lines. I'll be retaking the MCAT this spring as well if I don't hear anything by the end of January because mine expires for next cycle. Thanks for responding and don't give up! I wish you the best of luck :)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Haha yeah that was definitely rough.. Lori was a little surprised/confused that they had wait listed me so early last cycle, which didn't exactly make me feel better but hey. I think it's reasonable to say that good clinical experience and volunteerism can get you a spot despite low stats. I've definitely seen it. Unfortunately, I have a feeling a large portion of that chance has to do with luck like a later MCAT might delay your window of being looked at or something. Stuff along those lines. I'll be retaking the MCAT this spring as well if I don't hear anything by the end of January because mine expires for next cycle. Thanks for responding and don't give up! I wish you the best of luck :)

I have a feeling that if we haven't heard back by now that we won't most likely. In your case, I think that stinks because you followed their advice and improved your application greatly. Happy MCAT studying if it comes to that! :)

Due to the arctic vortex, MSU is closed today.

They said the class should be filled by February and there are still 4 Thursdays left in January.... Last year, people were accepted right up until the first week of school in June. These are the things I'm telling myself. Hang in there, everyone still waiting. I'm still holding on to hope :)

Reactions: 2 users
Looks like another quiet Thursday. :)

Yup a quiet Thursday.... I don't like quiet.... anyone gotten interview invites recently?

I wonder if they didn't meet today because of all the bad weather we've had? I went to Detroit yesterday, and it took me three hours to get there. Normally, it would have taken me an hour.

I wonder if they didn't meet today because of all the bad weather we've had? I went to Detroit yesterday, and it took me three hours to get there. Normally, it would have taken me an hour.
I was wondering the same thing! Maybe we'll hear from them tomorrow instead of today because of the delay? Or maybe more people will hear from them next week? haha

I was wondering the same thing! Maybe we'll hear from them tomorrow instead of today because of the delay? Or maybe more people will hear from them next week? haha

Yeah, my son's school has been closed all week. They will be closed again tomorrow. I have almost died lots of times trying to get to work this week. Also, if someone didn't replace you, you weren't allowed to leave. I couldn't drive south of me until yesterday when they had the level III (Ohio), and you could get arrested if found driving on the street.

Tomorrow would be great, lol! :)

Silence today, too, it looks like. Everyone have a great weekend! :)

Just got an email this morning!! I'm in!!

Members don't see this ad :)
28 MCAT- 8 verbal, 10 on the other two sections
Roughly a 3.8 science GPA, and a 3.86 overall GPA
I'm also an in state student

Also, my entire application was submitted December 10th. I was actually very surprised to hear back so soon, especially with their break for the holidays!

Also, my entire application was submitted December 10th. I was actually very surprised to hear back so soon, especially with their break for the holidays!

Wow that's awesome, and thanks for sharing your stats. So they just emailed you and you never got a phone call?

I applied late (November) and haven't heard anything back yet...does anyone know if the school is still offering interviews or if the class is pretty much full already?

I applied late (November) and haven't heard anything back yet...does anyone know if the school is still offering interviews or if the class is pretty much full already?
1) MSU-COM doesn't do interviews unless they feel like they need more information about you in order to make an admissions decision. The vast majority of people are accepted outright sans interview.
2) They were just a little over half full as of the December update. Assuming they haven't offered TOO many more seats since then (with the long period they were closed), I expect they will be offering ~100+ more acceptances.

There are a good deal of us that haven't heard anything back yet since July and so forth. Interviews are a rarity for this school, they really only interview if there's something about your app they need to discuss in person. Other than that, you wait for an acceptance, wait list or rejection. They said the class should be filled by February so until then (and probably after for wait listers) is up for offers.

1) MSU-COM doesn't do interviews unless they feel like they need more information about you in order to make an admissions decision. The vast majority of people are accepted outright sans interview.
2) They were just a little over half full as of the December update. Assuming they haven't offered TOO many more seats since then (with the long period they were closed), I expect they will be offering ~100+ more acceptances.

Can you clarify your first point? If I'm reading correctly, you're saying that MSUCOM accepts students without mandatory interviews like other medical schools? If so, I did NOT know that...

Can you clarify your first point? If I'm reading correctly, you're saying that MSUCOM accepts students without mandatory interviews like other medical schools? If so, I did NOT know that...
Haha, that is correct. They don't generally interview! It took me a while to figure that out.

From the AACOM information book: "For some applicants, a single one-on-one interview ... takes place on the MSU campus. In most cases, decisions are made [solely] based [on] review of the AACOMAS and supplemental applications".

However, you do have a post-acceptance tour (e.g., mine is on Jan 24). I've heard it likened to being your chance to interview them and see if you think they're a good fit for you -- as they already think you're a good fit based on your application. I slightly disagree with that view, though, since most people will have needed to pay their deposit prior to their tour day... so it's in your interest to know you like the school before the tour!

Haha, that is correct. They don't generally interview! It took me a while to figure that out.

From the AACOM information book: "For some applicants, a single one-on-one interview ... takes place on the MSU campus. In most cases, decisions are made [solely] based [on] review of the AACOMAS and supplemental applications".

However, you do have a post-acceptance tour (e.g., mine is on Jan 24). I've heard it likened to being your chance to interview them and see if you think they're a good fit for you -- as they already think you're a good fit based on your application. I slightly disagree with that view, though, since most people will have needed to pay their deposit prior to their tour day... so it's in your interest to know you like the school before the tour!

Ah I see. I guess there are some seats still left if class is little over half full in December. Do you know when the last acceptances are sent out and if they let you know via email/phone/snail mail?

Ah I see. I guess there are some seats still left if class is little over half full in December. Do you know when the last acceptances are sent out and if they let you know via email/phone/snail mail?
There certainly are some seats left as of now. However, I believe they aggressively fill the spots near the end of the year (they say online that they try to fill the class in December)... so I'm not sure when the last acceptances are sent out. It seems, though, that they're markedly behind this "fill by the end of December" deadline. Keep in mind that classes start in June, so they're bound to fill up earlier than other schools.

Acceptances are conveyed via phone call. E-mails are also sent out, and there is a new tab added to the online application. A snail-mail packet comes around a week or so later. In other words, an acceptance wouldn't come your way without you knowing it. :p

28 MCAT- 8 verbal, 10 on the other two sections
Roughly a 3.8 science GPA, and a 3.86 overall GPA
I'm also an in state student

If you don't mind me asking, how many volunteer hours did you have?

If you don't mind me asking, how many volunteer hours did you have?

I had about 350-400 volunteer hours, 40 were medically related. 170 hours of shadowing different medical occupations.

I had about 350-400 volunteer hours, 40 were medically related. 170 hours of shadowing different medical occupations.

You heard back very quickly. Very impressive! :)

The door is slowly closing folks, just got this email... posting more for future threads:

Greetings Applicants,

Below you will see our January admissions process update. Applicants are selected for Admissions Committee review based on several criteria including a combination of academic accomplishments, extracurricular experiences, timing of application completion, etc.

We anticipate filling the class by mid-February, and continue to construct a waitlist until mid-Spring. Students who are selected for the waitlist could be notified at any time prior to the start of orientation. Students who are not selected for the class may also be notified at any time throughout the admissions cycle. Please be sure to check your online application status to ensure your file is complete as your application will be ineligible for review until you have ‘complete’ status.

Applicant summary, as of 1/13/14
All AACOMAS Applicants: 5037
Admission Offers: 258
Seat Deposits Paid: 224
Canadian Offers: 25
Canadian Deposits Paid: 23
Average MCAT: 28.89
Average Science GPA: 3.6

Site placement, as of 1/13/14
Detroit Medical Center: 42/50
Macomb University Center: 18/50
East Lansing: 137/200

Subjective factors of the application such as extracurricular activities, volunteer experience, recommendation letters, osteopathic interest, and personal statements are not quantifiable and therefore we are unable to provide data on these highly valued application entities.

Thats, what, 11 spots left?

I'm loving the almost 29 average MCAT! Maybe breaking 30 next year :)

The door is slowly closing folks, just got this email... posting more for future threads:

Greetings Applicants,

Below you will see our January admissions process update. Applicants are selected for Admissions Committee review based on several criteria including a combination of academic accomplishments, extracurricular experiences, timing of application completion, etc.

We anticipate filling the class by mid-February, and continue to construct a waitlist until mid-Spring. Students who are selected for the waitlist could be notified at any time prior to the start of orientation. Students who are not selected for the class may also be notified at any time throughout the admissions cycle. Please be sure to check your online application status to ensure your file is complete as your application will be ineligible for review until you have ‘complete’ status.

Applicant summary, as of 1/13/14
All AACOMAS Applicants: 5037
Admission Offers: 258
Seat Deposits Paid: 224
Canadian Offers: 25
Canadian Deposits Paid: 23
Average MCAT: 28.89
Average Science GPA: 3.6

Site placement, as of 1/13/14
Detroit Medical Center: 42/50
Macomb University Center: 18/50
East Lansing: 137/200

Subjective factors of the application such as extracurricular activities, volunteer experience, recommendation letters, osteopathic interest, and personal statements are not quantifiable and therefore we are unable to provide data on these highly valued application entities.

Thats, what, 11 spots left?

From the site placement numbers, it looks like they accept 300 people. 224 people have paid a deposit, so there's 76 spots left to fill. Better than 11 spots left, but yes, it looks like the door is slowly closing here.

That 87% yield for US students was pretty surprising to me.
At the Accept Day I went to, the Dean said their "Canadian Initiative" program aims to only accepts 25 students a year.

From the site placement numbers, it looks like they accept 300 people. 224 people have paid a deposit, so there's 76 spots left to fill. Better than 11 spots left, but yes, it looks like the door is slowly closing here.

Yes, and that number appears inconsistent with their site placement numbers.

Yes, and that number appears inconsistent with their site placement numbers.
It's not surprising that the numbers don't quite line up, since they're different (sequential) steps in the admissions process.

So:
258/5037 applicants have been accepted.
224/258 acceptees have paid the deposit.
197/224 acceptees who have paid the deposit have also mailed in their application and selected a site.

Last edited:
I am a Canadian and have decided to withdraw from my spot at MSUCOM. So, that opens up another spot for a Canadian :). All the best to everyone in their applications!

Am I the only one whose heart drops everytime they see "com.admissions...." in their inbox ?! .... 76 spots left is still great news (yup I'm one of those "glass half full" ppl:p) ... good luck this week to my fellow SDNers still waiting on their acceptances!!

Does anyone know how I can choose site preference?? I don't see it on the application

Does anyone know how I can choose site preference?? I don't see it on the application

Its in the "admissions offer" tab (admissions.com.msu.edu). In the "site preference" menu on the left.

At the tours, they told us Macomb was family friendly, and usually the students that choose that site are a bit older and have a family. So there might be a smaller amount of students with families accepted, so fewer people pick there.

Just my thoughts.

http://com.msu.edu/Students/Resources/Macomb.htm
My opinions are that both EL and Detroit have plusses, whereas Macomb doesn't have too much going for it. Here's why I think that:

EL: Main campus. I believe this is where the classes are all taught (correct me if I'm wrong, but I think lectures are streamed to Detroit and Macomb from EL). College life in a nice city -- you get the full MSU experience here.
Detroit: Fantastic and close clinical partnerships. Really gives you a good setup for making connections at DMC.
Macomb: Affordable housing. Otherwise...??? I personally can't see any reason to choose Macomb over the other two locations without some outside reason. Perhaps growing up in metro-Detroit has made me a little resistant to living there for another few years. If you want to be away from a big school town, have affordable housing and/or maybe have family in the area, then it's a fine place to choose. I just feel like you're slightly compromising on the experience and/or networking opportunities.

Those were some of the thoughts that went into my decision to chose EL... so of course I'm a bit biased. ;)

Last edited:
I was considering either Detroit or Macomb because I prefer a smaller class size. I ended up choosing Macomb because my family was convinced that Detroit was sketchy. Is this true at all for those familiar with the area?

I was considering either Detroit or Macomb because I prefer a smaller class size. I ended up choosing Macomb because my family was convinced that Detroit was sketchy. Is this true at all for those familiar with the area?
Well the DMC area itself is fine -- lots of nice things in the immediate vicinity. However, if you go a few blocks in any direction, things can get sketchy quickly. I have plenty of friends who went to Wayne for various programs that can attest to that! I like a lot of things about Detroit, but it's not really somewhere I would choose to live.

Last edited:
EL: Main campus. I believe this is where the classes are all taught (correct me if I'm wrong, but I think lectures are streamed to Detroit and Macomb from EL). College life in a nice city -- you get the full MSU experience here.

They said that the lectures are alternated between the three sites, and its streamed wherever it isn't being held. Also, since Detroit and Macomb is smaller class sizes, you get more one on one with the professors. I chose EL though, went to undergrad here, and very familiar with the place.

My opinions are that both EL and Detroit have plusses, whereas Macomb doesn't have too much going for it. Here's why I think that:

Detroit: Fantastic and close clinical partnerships. Really gives you a good setup for making connections at DMC.
Macomb: Affordable housing. Otherwise...??? I personally can't see any reason to choose Macomb over the other two locations without some outside reason. Perhaps growing up in metro-Detroit has made me a little resistant to living there for another few years. If you want to be away from a big school town, have affordable housing and/or maybe have family in the area, then it's a fine place to choose. I just feel like you're slightly compromising on the experience and/or networking opportunities.

Those were some of the thoughts that went into my decision to chose EL... so of course I'm a bit biased. ;)

i think people may choose macomb because it allows them to save money by living with their parents for 2-4 more years. personally not my cup of tea BUT there is free and easy parking at macomb.

Hey guys, some of you want data about the currently accepted class to gauge your chances or just to know. So I thought I would offer mine up for your reference: In State, 3.5 GPA, 3.4 sGPA, 31 MCAT, about 500 hours of volunteering/shadowing/etc. Submitted August 21, accepted December 19 (best Christmas present ever). I'm one of the 42 currently going to the Detroit campus. Anybody else on here going there too? I'd really like to hear what others think about that location and what their plans are. Other than that I wish the sincerest of luck to everybody else applying. I know it can be stressful (my heart would stop every time I saw an email from MSU) but you need to keep a positive attitude and have confidence in yourself. With that you can be successful in anything you do. Best of luck.

I am a Canadian and have decided to withdraw from my spot at MSUCOM. So, that opens up another spot for a Canadian :). All the best to everyone in their applications!

Desperately want your spot!!!