Michigan State University (MSUCOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Whoever is using interfolio check if the letters you submitted into your app are the ones that actually are present. MSUCOM seriously screwed this up for a bunch of people and it's a real piss-off since the lady confirmed next Thursday they start with apps.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
This is likely a silly question, so I apologize in advance.
I've seen on this thread (and others) that acceptances go out over the phone.
I have a job where I do not have cell service 9-5.
Will they 1) extend admissions via email and 2) leave a voice mail?
This is a serious question!
Haha they will leave you a voicemail. E-mails will usually go out a few days later (regardless of whether you talked to them on the phone).

Does anyone know if you can just have the LOR sent directly without interfolio?

Is there an address? some of the people writing my letters are old school.
I asked their admissions office the same question and was told that letters can only be sent via VirtualEvals or Interfolio.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did really bad on my MCAT :( Maybe next cycle. Good luck to everyone else!!

Whoever is using interfolio check if the letters you submitted into your app are the ones that actually are present. MSUCOM seriously screwed this up for a bunch of people and it's a real piss-off since the lady confirmed next Thursday they start with apps.
Second this. I submitted in June and still have yet to be complete because of some interfolio issue. I've been back and forth with MSU and Interfolio and they can't resolve it yet. Please tell me I'm not the only one with this issue

I submitted my primary in the beginning of August but it still has yet to be verified in ACCOMAS and starting to worry about the timing of my application (my transcript and score were received prior to submitting). My stats are 3.5 gpa from UofM, 30 mcat (11/9/10), captain of a sports team, president of a club, lots of clinical volunteering and am currently a research fellow at the National Institutes of Health. It seems like MSUCOM moves much faster than other schools in acceptance decisions given their no interview policy, but will my secondaries be too late in the game? assuming I complete within September?

I submitted my primary in the beginning of August but it still has yet to be verified in ACCOMAS and starting to worry about the timing of my application (my transcript and score were received prior to submitting). My stats are 3.5 gpa from UofM, 30 mcat (11/9/10), captain of a sports team, president of a club, lots of clinical volunteering and am currently a research fellow at the National Institutes of Health. It seems like MSUCOM moves much faster than other schools in acceptance decisions given their no interview policy, but will my secondaries be too late in the game? assuming I complete within September?

no it won't be late plus you are a strong candidate. Take your time and submit a strong secondary, don't rush it!

I submitted my ACCOMAS 7/9 and got it back 8/25. I think they're a little backed up.

If I were you I would look up the secondary questions here and have all you LORS ready to go on Interfolio.

I submitted my ACCOMAS 7/9 and got it back 8/25. I think they're a little backed up.

If I were you I would look up the secondary questions here and have all you LORS ready to go on Interfolio.

Yes that thread is immensely helpful given the wait time currently. More time to bug my LORs in the meanwhile too

How much of a disadvantage (if any) do you think an applicant would be with an MD LOR instead of a DO LOR?

How much of a disadvantage (if any) do you think an applicant would be with an MD LOR instead of a DO LOR?
An MD letter is just fine. Of course a DO letter would be looked upon slightly more favorably by some adcom members, but I do not think the majority care one way or another as long as the rest of your application shows an interest in osteopathic medicine.

Reactions: 1 users

An MD letter is fine as long as you have a good relationship with your LOR writer. MSUCOM would rather you use letters from people that actually know you well verse a random letter from a DO you only shadow for a week (if that). MSUCOM really likes to see your truly personality shine through your secondary (remember no interview so always keep that in mine before you submit anything).

A note: A huge part of my acceptance was due to good LORs

Reactions: 2 users
do they let the IS applicants know about their acceptances first? my bro submitted his secondary at the end of June and his AACOMAS was verified in mid June. However he is a Oklahoma resident like me. Do you think he will receive a acceptance/rejection call next thursday?

Members don't see this ad :)
do they let the IS applicants know about their acceptances first? my bro submitted his secondary at the end of June and his AACOMAS was verified in mid June. However he is a Oklahoma resident like me. Do you think he will receive a acceptance/rejection call next thursday?

There's literally no telling about your last question lol ... also I'm fairly sure they let ppl know they are accepted as soon as a decision has been reached (in state or otherwise) and just keep track of the number of OOS, IS and Canadians that have been accepted ..... Which is why people say apply early :)

There's literally no telling about your last question lol ... also I'm fairly sure they let ppl know they are accepted as soon as a decision has been reached (in state or otherwise) and just keep track of the number of OOS, IS and Canadians that have been accepted ..... Which is why people say apply early :)

How is M1 treating you? Anything that stands out about MSUCOM in terms of the curriculum? Thanks ahead!

So sorry if this has beed addressed already (I'm sure it has), but I have a question about out of state tuition at MSUCOM. I see that for two semesters it is around $55,000.00. However for three semesters it is about $80,000.00. Are there three semesters in a year? Is it really $80,000.00 per year for out of state students? If so, any out of state students have sucess with scholarship applications to help offset the cost?

So sorry if this has beed addressed already (I'm sure it has), but I have a question about out of state tuition at MSUCOM. I see that for two semesters it is around $55,000.00. However for three semesters it is about $80,000.00. Are there three semesters in a year? Is it really $80,000.00 per year for out of state students? If so, any out of state students have sucess with scholarship applications to help offset the cost?
You've got the right idea. Yes -- summer, fall, and spring semesters, and it really is about double for OOS tuition (approx $75-80k for each of the four years). For example, here's a recent tuition schedule -- http://com.msu.edu/class_of_2018/Financial_Aid/2014_Medical_Budgets.pdf

I do believe that many OOS students get decent scholarships to offset the cost closer to IS tuition levels, but, since I'm IS, I can't speak to that point very well.

anyone hear back yet? The wait is killer.

Just wanted to verify that the begin reviewing next Thursday?]

Yeah, a lady I kept bugging about my letters told me next thursday. But also I hear that they divide apps based on their stats.. higher ones up first is what I hear.. Nooo

Just wanted to verify that the begin reviewing next Thursday?

How are you enjoying MS-I by the way?

Yeah, a lady I kept bugging about my letters told me next thursday. But also I hear that they divide apps based on their stats.. higher ones up first is what I hear.. Nooo :*(

Just wanted to verify that the begin reviewing next Thursday?

How are you enjoying MS-I by the way?
As far as I know, it does sound like the admissions committee will start meeting soon. Though it's difficult (and possibly aggravating) advice to hear, just be patient! Hopefully you get some solace from the fact that their main goal is to give you a fair shot as an applicant. They really do care about you as an individual and want to know your story thoroughly.

MS-I is good. It's also tough, and unlike any work I've ever had to do. But, at the same time, I'm learning a whole lot and am becoming more and more confident that I will be a good, competent, caring, and knowledgeable doctor in the future. That's about all I can ask for, right?! ;)

I have been waiting for this my whole life :)
Haha, fair... And I totally remember the months of checking my e-mail (and SDN) incessantly between secondary submission and the many months of waiting afterwards. Honestly, I didn't know the final status of all my applications until just about a month ago (late July, 2014) after submitting on 6/10/13.

As far as I know, it does sound like the admissions committee will start meeting soon. Though it's difficult (and possibly aggravating) advice to hear, just be patient! Hopefully you get some solace from the fact that their main goal is to give you a fair shot as an applicant. They really do care about you as an individual and want to know your story thoroughly.

MS-I is good. It's also tough, and unlike any work I've ever had to do. But, at the same time, I'm learning a whole lot and am becoming more and more confident that I will be a good, competent, caring, and knowledgeable doctor in the future. That's about all I can ask for, right?! ;)

Haha, fair... And I totally remember the months of checking my e-mail (and SDN) incessantly between secondary submission and the many months of waiting afterwards. Honestly, I didn't know the final status of all my applications until just about a month ago (late July, 2014) after submitting on 6/10/13.

Thanks for the information! My patient tank is still quiet full so I think I'll be okay haha. Do you have a lot of classmates from CA?

Glad to hear that first year is treating you well!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile

Thanks for the information! My patient tank is still quiet full so I think I'll be okay haha. Do you have a lot of classmates from CA?

Glad to hear that first year is treating you well!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile
Haha, definitely not a lot... probably no more than five or so (< 2%) are from California.

@johnamo Which campus are you at? I've been to the Detroit campus and liked how small the class is there but I feel like I might miss out on some opportunities at the EL campus. Know if there is any advantage/disadvantage to being in EL vs Detroit?

I took this pic during my visit to the Lansing campus. Seriously fell in love with it. If only they'd love me backk :X.. unashamed desperation lol.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-08-29-23-03-19-1.png
    Screenshot_2014-08-29-23-03-19-1.png
    681.7 KB · Views: 94
@johnamo Which campus are you at? I've been to the Detroit campus and liked how small the class is there but I feel like I might miss out on some opportunities at the EL campus. Know if there is any advantage/disadvantage to being in EL vs Detroit?

I have friends in Detroit section, smaller class size which is a plus but all lectures are live with a prof there to answer questions

I have friends in Detroit section, smaller class size which is a plus but all lectures are live with a prof there to answer questions

but isn't it dangerous and ghetto in the detroit campus?

It's at the DMC so it's not like you're in danger while you're there but I wouldn't recommend venturing out to the surrounding neighbourhoods. Friends have told me that people try to park on the streets for free instead of the parking garage and have had their cars stolen/broken into. I would only choose it so I can live at home (from the burbs) and the DMC is a nice enough place.

It's at the DMC so it's not like you're in danger while you're there but I wouldn't recommend venturing out to the surrounding neighbourhoods. Friends have told me that people try to park on the streets for free instead of the parking garage and have had their cars stolen/broken into. I would only choose it so I can live at home (from the burbs) and the DMC is a nice enough place.

so if you're a OOS student and you don't have a car, what do you do? Are there dorms available with buses that take you to walmart? Or do you have to buy a car and move to the burbs?

and if your car breaks down in between your commute from home to school...well then, you're royally screwed!

so if you're a OOS student and you don't have a car, what do you do? Are there dorms available with buses that take you to walmart? Or do you have to buy a car and move to the burbs?

Not sure if there are dorms. 100% do not recommend the bus system in Detroit and I'm dead serious. I would say a car would be pretty necessary and would recommend the burbs or moving just outside of Detroit to Warren or Clinton Township where it's not as bad. I'd suggest an OOS to choose the East Lansing campus or possibly the Macomb campus although I am not familiar with it.

Edit: I have had my a flat while leaving the DMC and well.... I was a bit terrified.

Reactions: 1 users
Canadians automatically get a scholarship :D (25 Canadians a year)

Loll I lived in Detroit so I know how to get around, but that part of Detroit isn't bad because it's all universities and hospitals so no biggie. There is a parking garage so you'll be just fine. Worst case scenario you get robbed somehow but its rare.

Not sure if there are dorms. 100% do not recommend the bus system in Detroit and I'm dead serious. I would say a car would be pretty necessary and would recommend the burbs or moving just outside of Detroit to Warren or Clinton Township where it's not as bad. I'd suggest an OOS to choose the East Lansing campus or possibly the Macomb campus although I am not familiar with it.

Edit: I have had my a flat while leaving the DMC and well.... I was a bit terrified.

Hahaha you're better off walking than using the bus in Detroit.

I am in EL. I never really considered the "distance" sites, though having a smaller class size (~50) is definitely a plus for them IMO... 200 in EL makes it pretty impersonal. The majority of lectures are live-streamed from EL to DMC and Macomb, but a portion are also live-streamed from DMC or Macomb. However, as the other commenter said, there is always a faculty-member on-site in order to facilitate. Honestly, the lectures are also live-streamed online and recordings are available immediately after the lecture finishes to view sped up... so relatively few people go to lectures (esp. 8am) if there are not quizzes.

I think EL is a great campus that has more of a traditional medical school feel. The facilities are perfectly adequate with good tech, though the building (Fee Hall) is a bit old. You just have to ask yourself whether you want to live more of a college lifestyle or not. EL will cost more than the other sites due to an overall higher cost of living, but there is certainly more going on for young students looking for occasional fun. I do get the feeling that the distance sites are left out of many activities and opportunities, but I know there are also active chapters of student groups at each of the sites. Plus they get free parking on-site (definitely not the case in EL), decent housing prices nearby, and new facilities!

Hope that helps a bit.

Reactions: 3 users
This might be a dumb question, but how do you go about submitting the LORs? Do they have to be sent in to get a supplemental app or do you submit them once you have a supplemental?

This might be a dumb question, but how do you go about submitting the LORs? Do they have to be sent in to get a supplemental app or do you submit them once you have a supplemental?

Instructions will follow after you get secondary.

I go to the DMC campus and I would strongly recommend it. First of all, the facilities are much nicer. You benefit in anatomy from our nationally recognized lab and how good the cadavers are (some students from EL even came and used our lab to study tho I'm not sure that is a great idea). Also, the small class allows you to get to know the Dean and all the staff very well, which is beneficial for letters of rec later on. The first day I walked into the DMC to get my badge the staff already knew my name, as if they had studied. Also, everyone is super friendly and Dean Willyerd is awesome. In terms of there being fun things to do, we are in Midtown Detroit, like a 5 minute drive to downtown where there are many bars and activities to do, like a tigers or lions game. Also, with the construction of the M1 on woodward, it will be super easy to get from the DMC to downtown without driving! It also is a more professional atmosphere, since you attend school in a hospital and don't have tailgating undergrads every satruday making you jealous that you have to study! But it also allows you to have easy access to fun nights out in detroit, which really is turning around and becoming a great city! As for safety, the DMC is super safe. Midtown is one of the nicest parts of Detroit and I never ever feel unsafe there. Also, since we have our own hallway that you need badges to get into, students can leave their computers and phones in rooms while they are in anatomy lab or going to lunch and no one will take them. Also helps that there are cameras covering essentially the entire building. I wouldn't say there is much disadvantage to the lectures mainly being streamed from East Lansing because at any point you can use the microphone in the class room and ask the professor a question at the EL site. Also, a good number of lectures are given from the DMC by our staff who are always on site to answer questions. Also, we have the same opportunities as the EL Campus does for the most part and if they aren't exactly the same we have another opportunity to compensate. They wouldn't allow there to be disadvantages at the distance sites! MSUCOM actually published a study showing there were no differences in board scores from people at the main site versus the distance sites!And finally, I'd lastly recommend DMC because you are attending medical school in a hospital that has a big number of osteopathic residency spots! If you can make connections i'm sure that could be beneficial! Oh one other thing, parking is NOT free at the DMC...something like $75 for the summer semester and $158 each for fall and spring! Good luck and I hope to meet some of you next year!

Reactions: 6 users
I have a question...so on the secondary, there is a section for "shadowing and clinical experiences", so I put shadowing and hospital volunteering there, as well as medical mission trip stuff...but then on the next page, it asks for volunteer work. Do I repeat the hospital volunteering and service trip stuff? And are extracurriculars (like organization and student groups) considered volunteering if time was volunteered for the good of the group? Help!

I have a question...so on the secondary, there is a section for "shadowing and clinical experiences", so I put shadowing and hospital volunteering there, as well as medical mission trip stuff...but then on the next page, it asks for volunteer work. Do I repeat the hospital volunteering and service trip stuff? And are extracurriculars (like organization and student groups) considered volunteering if time was volunteered for the good of the group? Help!

repeat the hospital volunteering and service trips but do not include organization and student groups because that is not considered volunteering and looks like an obvious attempt to pad the volunteering hours.

repeat the hospital volunteering and service trips but do not include organization and student groups because that is not considered volunteering and looks like an obvious attempt to pad the volunteering hours.
Okay cool. Is unpaid research considered volunteering as well?

Oh one other thing, parking is NOT free at the DMC...something like $75 for the summer semester and $158 each for fall and spring! Good luck and I hope to meet some of you next year!
Haha, really? I specifically remember faculty mentioning that during orientation. Maybe Macomb does? Our EL permits are around ~$400 for the year.

How is M1 treating you? Anything that stands out about MSUCOM in terms of the curriculum? Thanks ahead!

I am actually really love the curriculum here. Don't get me wrong it is a lot of work and the pride themselves on forcing their student constantly to adjust and re-adjust. If you like to be challenged often you will like here! I feel like they are totally preparing us for boards as well as being real osteopathic physicians They are also really good at helping you whenever you are having a hard time adjusting or grasping the material (of which there is boat loads of lol).. All and all, I am very happy to be here :)