Michigan State University (MSUCOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
From what I've seen it looks like MSU only starts sending out decisions in mid-September.

While it is unlikely that they will start phone calls earlier this year than other years, I can't help but feel a little hopeful for an early answer. They did say that admissions notifications will be made as early as late August.

. . . but then again, Rowan promised to release their secondary application by late July and it's still not up.

Members don't see this ad.

Really? I heard it was end of August. This is just cruel.

It is end of August, read below.

" The Admissions Committee plans to meet bi-monthly for the 2014-2015 application cycle. Admissions notifications will occur at any time between late August 2014 and mid-Spring 2015. Applicants who are selected for the waiting list could be notified any time between August 2014 and one week before orientation (June 2015). Students who are not selected for the class may be notified at any time throughout the admissions cycle.

Members don't see this ad :)
How long does AACOMAS takes to process? I submitted mine at end of July (due to personal reasons). I'm hoping its quick since I sent MSU my LORs already

Two questions about letters of evaluation:

I don't have an account through VirtualEvals or Interfolio, which are the only two options listed by MSUCOM to deliver letters to their admissions committee. My university instead has their own reference letter service that acts in a similar manner as the above mentioned virtual systems. Does anyone know if letters absolutely must be received by only VirtualEvals or Interfolio? If not, does anyone know off the top of their heads what address I may direct the letters to?

I've emailed MSUCOM as well, but just wanted to see in advance if anyone knew here. Thanks.

Is there a reason the secondary has us relist all our volunteer experiences, even though it's all on the primary already?

Also how detailed were you in the summary for shadowing experiences?

Edit:
Couple more questions: If I'm currently volunteering would I just put it in the "Additional Information" section or should I put it in the volunteer experiences section as well?

Do I put my time as a research assistant in the volunteer experiences?

Last edited:
How long does AACOMAS takes to process? I submitted mine at end of July (due to personal reasons). I'm hoping its quick since I sent MSU my LORs already

"Although the time frame varies, AACOMAS normally processes applications in three to six weeks from the completion date (the latter of the date submitted and paid, or when all transcripts are received). Missing transcripts and/or receipt of large volumes of materials in the AACOMAS Office can affect this time frame. You can review the status of your application online by logging into the AACOMAS website." (http://www.aacom.org/Documents/AACOMASInstructions.pdf)

"Although the time frame varies, AACOMAS normally processes applications in three to six weeks from the completion date (the latter of the date submitted and paid, or when all transcripts are received). Missing transcripts and/or receipt of large volumes of materials in the AACOMAS Office can affect this time frame. You can review the status of your application online by logging into the AACOMAS website." (http://www.aacom.org/Documents/AACOMASInstructions.pdf)
Thank you for the reply. Hoping it could be processed soon

I would wait until after the first round of acceptances...save your ammo until the battle actually begins ;)

If you have your summer grades, then I would update them now. Who knows, that information might mean an acceptance if your in the first round of review.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was thinking the same thing about an update letter. I'm kind of torn whether to send it this week or after they have sent out their first batch of acceptances. I just don't want to get overlooked at first and then not given a second chance. I said i would be working in a lab at a certain university doing research, my only update is that I am now at a better university doing different research, now as a research associate.

Are there any re-applicants out there who rolled their transcripts over from last cycle? If so, how long did it take for AACOMAS to process your application and release it to schools?

This is my situation, and I was really hoping it would take less than 3 weeks. :(

the volunteering question, is that shadowing too? what about research? if you didn't get paid? i'm really confused

the volunteering question, is that shadowing too? what about research? if you didn't get paid? i'm really confused

I put research down, you are volunteering your time to help out a lab and also helping a good cause.

Don't put shadowing as the only person to benefit from that is you! haha

Reactions: 1 user
Is MSU more forgiving with below average stats for IS than OOS? I have a below average GPA (3.4/3.25) but slightly above average MCAT (28) and for personal and financial reasons would hope that I'd get some love from MSU.

Is MSU more forgiving with below average stats for IS than OOS? I have a below average GPA (3.4/3.25) but slightly above average MCAT (28) and for personal and financial reasons would hope that I'd get some love from MSU.
Average MCAT for msu is around 28. Your stats are ok probably depends on your ECs

Their class is something like 86% IS, so they must be at least slightly forgiving. They are really serious about volunteer hours. Make sure your ECs demonstrate a long-held commitment to service.

How much did people write for the "medically-related shadowing or clinical experiences" question, when you were talking about shadowing? Is it sufficient enough to just write "Shadowed Dr. X three times for 3 hours at a time" or do I need to elaborate? Also, do I talk about the hospital volunteer and medical service trips here?

Also, what was the consensus about sending more than 3 letters?

Canadian here, so is it true that applicants are ranked based on stats making it less important to submit your secondary ASAP?

Canadian here, so is it true that applicants are ranked based on stats making it less important to submit your secondary ASAP?
I spoke with the admin team and they no longer rank. The committee will ask for batches of applicants that meet a certain range of mcat and gpa and slide the scale as the year goes on.

Does anyone know when they're going to start making phone calls to accepted applicants? I know the email said "late August" but it seems like in years past there was a specific day of the week (like every Wednesday starting with the first Wednesday of September, for example).

the email did say late august, so as long as msucom keeps their word, applicants should get acceptance calls this week. Otherwise, really messed up on msucom's part to lie like that and default on their word.

The email said "Admissions notifications will occur at any time between late August 2014 and mid-Spring 2015." It would not be lying if they started acceptance calls later than this week.

Reactions: 1 users
The email said "Admissions notifications will occur at any time between late August 2014 and mid-Spring 2015." It would not be lying if they started acceptance calls later than this week.

looks like we have a msucom admissions rep here, lol.

It will likely be this Friday, or next week.

It will likely be this Friday, or next week.

from what I understand, a lot of people are accepted off the waitlist too due to the high number of OOS applicants rejecting their acceptances due to high OOS tuition.Also a lot of the IS applicants will reject their acceptances to attend one of the 5 other Michigan medical schools.

from what I understand, a lot of people are accepted off the waitlist too due to the high number of OOS applicants rejecting their acceptances due to high OOS tuition.Also a lot of the IS applicants will reject their acceptances to attend one of the 5 other Michigan medical schools.

So are you a medical student btw? (your profile says so). I have heard similar things!

So are you a medical student btw? (your profile says so). I have heard similar things!

i'm in limbo between medical school and residency. my younger bro is applying to msucom and i'm a michigan resident.

Is this the right list of schools:

1: MSU-CHM
2. Western Michigan
3. Central Michigan
4. Oakland Beaumont
5. University of Michigan

and of course

6. MSUCOM

wow, lot of schools for michigan residents to choose from

i'm in limbo between medical school and residency. my younger bro is applying to msucom and i'm a michigan resident.

2. Western Michigan
3. Central Michigan
4. Oakland Beaumont

and of course

6. MSUCOM

Don't forget Wayne State.

2. Western Michigan
3. Central Michigan
4. Oakland Beaumont

and of course

6. MSUCOM

Oh were you not able to match? Where did you attend school... Sorry to hear that

Oh were you not able to match? Where did you attend school... Sorry to hear that

wow, wayne state too...we michigan residents sure are lucky!

yes I was not able to match 2 years in a row due to the ****ty reputation of my school and even ****tier rotations (mainly sitting in a doctor's office and playing with my phone, lol) so poor LORs

I went to Windsor medical school in the island of st.kitts. now people have matched from windsor, even in 2014....but it's much harder than matching from msucom

wow, wayne state too...we michigan residents sure are lucky!

yes I was not able to match 2 years in a row due to the ****ty reputation of my school and even ****tier rotations (mainly sitting in a doctor's office and playing with my phone, lol) so poor LORs

I went to Windsor medical school in the island of st.kitts. now people have matched from windsor, even in 2014....but it's much harder than matching from msucom

Sorry to hear that, have you considered applying to DO programs and redoing your degree? "much harder" is an understatement..

Sorry to hear that, have you considered applying to DO programs and redoing your degree? "much harder" is an understatement..

i'm still considering it but for now, i'm going to try the match one last time in 2015 and apply for prelim spots

i'm still considering it but for now, i'm going to try the match one last time in 2015 and apply for prelim spots
Why not apply now, so you could have a potential acceptance for next summer, in case you fail to match again?

Likely after 2 fails, you're not going to have luck statistically...what residency are you applying for? Even a prelim spot might not turn into a full fledged

Why not apply now, so you could have a potential acceptance for next summer, in case you fail to match again?

Likely after 2 fails, you're not going to have luck statistically...what residency are you applying for? Even a prelim spot might not turn into a full fledged

prelim FM and yes, my AACOMAS is already verified and im working on secondaries. I guess we think alike lol

prelim FM and yes, my AACOMAS is already verified and im working on secondaries. I guess we think alike lol
Try your luck with LMU-DCOM, if you are a good fit, they may look past the previous degree.

last year their first acceptances went out the second Thursday of September. And I believe it was the same the year before. I got a phone call around 11:30 AM and then an email Friday morning. I wouldn't hold my breath for this week or next! Hang in there though!

I visited East Lansing recently and talked to the secretary at admissions. She said the committee met for the first time last Thursday to "debrief". As we know, they are meeting bimonthly this cycle, so they won't meet again until next Thursday, which is most likely when the first calls will go out. Also because its only twice a month, they are reviewing more apps per session. Best of luck to everyone!

This is likely a silly question, so I apologize in advance.
I've seen on this thread (and others) that acceptances go out over the phone.
I have a job where I do not have cell service 9-5.
Will they 1) extend admissions via email and 2) leave a voice mail?
This is a serious question!

This is likely a silly question, so I apologize in advance.
I've seen on this thread (and others) that acceptances go out over the phone.
I have a job where I do not have cell service 9-5.
Will they 1) extend admissions via email and 2) leave a voice mail?
This is a serious question!

From what I read in previous threads, they do leave a voicemail. If you want to be sure, why don't you email MSUCOM and explain your situation?

How long did it take everyone's LORs to successfully be marked as received on the secondary? Still waiting for mine, it's been about 1-2 weeks since it was successfully sent via Interfolio.

took my bro less than a week