Michigan State University (MSUCOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

If i could down-vote that post...
download.jpg

(I will admit UofM is playing great ball though and has been the only close game Utah has played all year)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Hi SpartanWolverine! Completely unrelated, but saw your name and could not help myself. Which side are you picking come Saturday? :)
I don't think I will be able to get myself to switch over.....Go Blue!

Reactions: 1 user
View attachment 196996
(I will admit UofM is playing great ball though and has been the only close game Utah has played all year)
Haha. Can't just give up a lifetime of supporting big blue. Besides, what has Michigan State done for me besides provide me the opportunity to be a physician?

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
View attachment 196996
I went to Michigan for a year of grad school until I had to transfer to UCSD because my lab moved. It was the only school I have been to that has football and I LOVE football. There were many grad students from the Big Ten schools. None of them really switched their allegiance from their undergrad. Those tailgates were the best. BTW, Harbaugh has already saved Michigan football. Top defense in the country!!

I don't think I will be able to get myself to switch over.....Go Blue!
That's why I couldn't even get myself to apply to their med school! I bleed green too much!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haha. Can't just give up a lifetime of supporting big blue. Besides, what has Michigan State done for me besides provide me the opportunity to be a physician?

Haha, what a paltry gesture when compared to a lifetime spent in the Big House. Either way, as a former Spartan I don't know if I am more nervous for my interview at CMED Friday, or the game Saturday. Probably the game. Go green!

Haven't posted in a while.....but had to drop in to say go blue, of course.

Reactions: 1 users
Got super excited because I received a call from a number I didn't recognize... Turns out to be just spam. (And I never receive spam calls)

WHAT A TEASE.

Got super excited because I received a call from a number I didn't recognize... Turns out to be just spam. (And I never receive spam calls)

WHAT A TEASE.
Look for a 517 area code. That'll be the golden call! I've been staring at my phone waiting too.

Look for a 517 area code. That'll be the golden call! I've been staring at my phone waiting too.

Or a 586 area code.

SPARTY ON!!!!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Top defense in the country!!
Hopefully Rudock doesn't throw a ton of interceptions though! It's feeling like time Harbaugh and company return Sparty to "little brother" status. I'm super excited to be a Spartan physician...but a lifetime of allegiance can't be changed. I'm super excited for Saturday, Go Blue!

Can a current student provide some input?

I just selected my seat at the DMC site and have heard that a number of my lectures will be streamed (with live interaction) from the EL site. On average how many lectures are held this way? I live very close to the Detroit campus so would much rather stay put, but I'm wondering if this is something worth moving over?

Thanks!

I just selected my seat at the DMC site and have heard that a number of my lectures will be streamed (with live interaction) from the EL site. On average how many lectures are held this way? I live very close to the Detroit campus so would much rather stay put, but I'm wondering if this is something worth moving over?

Thanks!
@DaddyBex28

Thanks!
It depends a bit on the course, but I would say 80%+ of lectures are from East Lansing (i.e., in EL we typically might have one day per week with content from DMC or Macomb). I personally like having live lectures, but, even in EL, a decent majority of people do not attend live lecture unless it's required. As DrPatriot suggested, @DaddyBex28 or @iTcanBdone might be able to comment on what they think about lectures from a Detroit perspective. :)

I will most likely be declining my offer of acceptance to MSUCOM. Good luck to the rest of you and I hope my spot goes to one of you on the waitlist!

Thanks!

Hey there! So I'm a current first year and so far I've noticed it hasn't been an issue for me. For anatomy over the summer, most of the lectures were streamed/recorded from East Lansing.

I agree, I like having the lecturer in person as well, and for several classes this second semester, especially Biochem and Immuno, our lecturers have been based out of the DMC. However, being able to ask questions or clarify things is not an issue as we are provided a microphone and our faculty and staff are also resources if we are confused about anything.

We also have site-specific staff for our Histology and Anatomy Labs. So that is also one-on-one interaction with faculty at your specific site location.

I will say most people from most of the sites don't attend class often. For the first week or so people are really into it and go, but then attendance kinda dives.

But, personally, if I don't go to class, I won't be motivated to watch it later.

Also, I think your location decision should consider other factors as well...but if that is a make-or-break decision for you then go with your gut!

Congrats on the acceptance and I hope to see you around the DMC next year :)

Hey there! So I'm a current first year and so far I've noticed it hasn't been an issue for me. For anatomy over the summer, most of the lectures were streamed/recorded from East Lansing.

I agree, I like having the lecturer in person as well, and for several classes this second semester, especially Biochem and Immuno, our lecturers have been based out of the DMC. However, being able to ask questions or clarify things is not an issue as we are provided a microphone and our faculty and staff are also resources if we are confused about anything.

We also have site-specific staff for our Histology and Anatomy Labs. So that is also one-on-one interaction with faculty at your specific site location.

I will say most people from most of the sites don't attend class often. For the first week or so people are really into it and go, but then attendance kinda dives.

But, personally, if I don't go to class, I won't be motivated to watch it later.

Also, I think your location decision should consider other factors as well...but if that is a make-or-break decision for you then go with your gut!

Congrats on the acceptance and I hope to see you around the DMC next year :)

Thank you so much! Your response was very detailed and summarized any worries I had. I really appreciate it. DMC it is :)

One more question - is there free parking for DMC students or how do I go about buying a parking pass?

Thank you so much! Your response was very detailed and summarized any worries I had. I really appreciate it. DMC it is :)

One more question - is there free parking for DMC students or how do I go about buying a parking pass?
It is like $400 according to the students I talked to at the tour day and they will discuss details at a later date.

It is like $400 according to the students I talked to at the tour day and they will discuss details at a later date.

No free parking, unfortunately. You can pay per semester, so you aren't committed to paying too much upfront and so if you decide to change your mind or if you end up not using the parking facilities as much as you thought you would, then you aren't losing too much money.

Many of my classmates who live within 5-15 minutes walk still purchase the pass, especially for exam days haha.

You will get parking info next spring about 2-4 weeks before classes start. It was ~$80 for the summer, and $160 for Fall. I think it is generally ~$160 for Fall and Winter semesters and then $80 for Summer.

Perks for the parking: it's gated (actually double gated) and there are security personnel who roam around the DMC parking facilities. It is open 24/7 as well. I prefer to pay for the parking than park on the street and risk anything happening, especially for the days you are at school for +12 hours.

Feel free to ask me any more questions or to PM me! Welcome to the DMC!

No free parking, unfortunately. You can pay per semester, so you aren't committed to paying too much upfront and so if you decide to change your mind or if you end up not using the parking facilities as much as you thought you would, then you aren't losing too much money.

Many of my classmates who live within 5-15 minutes walk still purchase the pass, especially for exam days haha.

You will get parking info next spring about 2-4 weeks before classes start. It was ~$80 for the summer, and $160 for Fall. I think it is generally ~$160 for Fall and Winter semesters and then $80 for Summer.

Perks for the parking: it's gated (actually double gated) and there are security personnel who roam around the DMC parking facilities. It is open 24/7 as well. I prefer to pay for the parking than park on the street and risk anything happening, especially for the days you are at school for +12 hours.

Feel free to ask me any more questions or to PM me! Welcome to the DMC!

how expensive is rent in the area for a reasonable place? (I know its a tough question given roomates style of place etc.)

how expensive is rent in the area for a reasonable place? (I know its a tough question given roomates style of place etc.)

Rent can range from $600-$1200 around the DMC. I commute from 10-15 minute drive out and I pay $475 (split with my partner) for a house.

Wait listed. Interviewed 9/11.

MCAT-29 GPA- 3.54 sGPA - 3.6
In state applicant, graduated from MSU undergrad

Good luck to the rest of you

Last edited:
Wait listed. Interviewed 9/11.

MCAT-29 GPA- 3.54 sGPA - 3.6
In state applicant, graduated from MSU undergrad

Good luck to the rest of you

What do you think went wrong in your opinion? You have very strong stats.

As much as I love this school, I will probably be withdrawing. I think the school is wonderful and that everyone going here is going to love it! I hope one of you guys get my spot and I wish you all the best in the future! For those of you that I met along the interview trail, I hope we meet again :)

Reactions: 4 users
@SpartanWolverine and @DaddyBex28 and any other current students on here, are there specific requirements for a laptop? I know certain schools have certain requirements but I haven't been able to find anything for MSUCOM. My current laptop is on the out so I am looking to find a new one relatively soon. Thanks!

@SpartanWolverine and @DaddyBex28 and any other current students on here, are there specific requirements for a laptop? I know certain schools have certain requirements but I haven't been able to find anything for MSUCOM. My current laptop is on the out so I am looking to find a new one relatively soon. Thanks!

Yes, you are required to have your own personal laptop and/or iPad for computer based testing. They have an option for receiving extra financial aid to purchase one if you do not have the means.

Yes, you are required to have your own personal laptop and/or iPad for computer based testing. They have an option for receiving extra financial aid to purchase one if you do not have the means.
Okay but no specific type of hardware or operating system? Also...SPARTY ON!!

Okay but no specific type of hardware or operating system? Also...SPARTY ON!!
I believe Windows 10 is not yet compatible with their testing program.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Does anyone know what the tuition for out-of-state applicants is? I remember them telling us during the interview that this year the tuition will be reduced slightly.

Does anyone know what the tuition for out-of-state applicants is? I remember them telling us during the interview that this year the tuition will be reduced slightly.
Based on the current 2015-2016 tuition it's $78,280/year (without scholarships). I didn't hear that it was going to be lowered, but that's great if it is!

To those of you who are waitlisted, what stats or IS/OOS did you guys have?

The interview day consists of a MMI, tour, student panel, and presentations by faculty/staff/admin. So there is no traditional interview included in the day per-se. That kind of stuff is more for your secondary. :)

However, If you were asking about the types of questions in the MMI, I'm afraid we can't discuss the kinds of things you might see during that.

Just wondering, what is the student panel about? The student panel won't interview us??

Just wondering, what is the student panel about? The student panel won't interview us??
After the interview current MSUCOM students come meet with you and do a Q&A before giving you a tour.

Just received the call: ACCEPTED (9/11 interview)

Reactions: 13 users
Another day, another MSUCOM open house email, ANOTHER HEART ATTACK.

Reactions: 11 users
accepted today! interviewed 9/11. OOS but would love to come here. if anyone has any scholarship advice please let me know!

Reactions: 3 users