Michigan State University (MSUCOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Accepted today :) Completed 8/6. Interview invite 8/7. Interviewed on 9/11. In-state applicant. GPA: 3.5 Science GPA: 3.3. MCAT: 30 Second year applying. Lots of clinical/research/volunteer experience.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
Am I the only one still waiting to hear back after 9/11 interview

<------------------my face

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Hi! I got a phone call from MSUCOM, but since I missed the phone call, I received a message saying "call me back" and we ended up playing phone tag. I also haven't gotten an email yet, but I'm freaking out because they said they call for acceptances and email for waitlist and I'm just in a limbo for the night. Is that pretty standard for missed phone calls?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! I got a phone call from MSUCOM, but since I missed the phone call, I received a message saying "call me back" and we ended up playing phone tag. I also haven't gotten an email yet, but I'm freaking out because they said they call for acceptances and email for waitlist and I'm just in a limbo for the night. Is that pretty standard for missed phone calls?

I got a vague voicemail from them as well but got the acceptance when I called back. Goodluck!

I missed the call also (and had to play phone tag) but got the email right away.

I don't think they call to waitlist or reject so it is definitely looking positive in my opinion.

Congrats everyone :)

More questions - do the open houses that everyone is invited to via email follow the same structure as the open houses accepted applicants choose from? I'm wondering if it matters if I go to the one this weekend vs the later date that was available to me. Also are family allowed to come to the accepted applicant open house?

As always, thank you!

More questions - do the open houses that everyone is invited to via email follow the same structure as the open houses accepted applicants choose from? I'm wondering if it matters if I go to the one this weekend vs the later date that was available to me. Also are family allowed to come to the accepted applicant open house?

As always, thank you!

As always, thank you!
The accepted student open houses are really just a tour by current students of the Detroit and Macomb sites. You can bring a family member if you wish but most people didn't(don't feel pressured either way, they don't care if you bring someone).

The See the Sites has more general info about the school overall(may be repetitive from the interview day/acceptance packet). They have talks on osteopathic medicine, meet the deans, a student panel, etc. They also have a tour. A lot more people bring family or friends to this since they are just open houses.

FWIW: I think it is beneficial to attend both if possible. I got something different and beneficial out of attending both events.

Reactions: 1 user
What do you guys think is the likelihood of me getting an interview from MSUCOM if my secondary was completed towards the end of August?

What do you guys think is the likelihood of me getting an interview from MSUCOM if my secondary was completed towards the end of August?
I got an interview and completed my secondary 8/27 so you definitely have a chance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My secondary wasn't completed until the begining of october and I got an interview invite on october 12th so you could definitely still hear back!

Members don't see this ad :)
I got an interview and completed my secondary 8/27 so you definitely have a chance.

Awesome! Good luck! Do you mind me asking what your stats were going in?

My secondary wasn't completed until the begining of october and I got an interview invite on october 12th so you could definitely still hear back!

Best of luck to you!

Do you mind me asking what your stats were going in?

Awesome! Good luck! Do you mind me asking what your stats were going in?
This is my second year applying. My mcat is pretty low at 25 but my gpa is 3.6 with sGPA of 3.5.

This is my second year applying. My mcat is pretty low at 25 but my gpa is 3.6 with sGPA of 3.5.

Nice! I hope I can also get an interview too :) Is there anything that you did that was particularly different from the first time you applied?

This is my first time applying and it hasn't been too promising as of yet so I hope something comes through soon.

Nice! I hope I can also get an interview too :) Is there anything that you did that was particularly different from the first time you applied?

This is my first time applying and it hasn't been too promising as of yet so I hope something comes through soon.
I think I definitely took a lot more time with the essays and made them more emotional. My gpa was a little higher this year too.

Don't get too worked up about it. Last year I didn't hear back till March when I applied in July and ended up getting wait listed. It's definitely hard not getting accepted but I'm actually thankful for the gap year. I have a fantastic job with great experience for med school and it's nice to just take a breather. But don't even worry about that for now. It's never too late to hear back! Feel free to message me if you have any other questions.

Apply early, meet with an MSUCOM advisor, go to the open houses/see the Sites.

These are things you have in your control to show you are interested in this school. Make sure to write an update letter in your portal telling them what steps you have taken to improve your app.

Just off the top of my head and from speaking to an advisor these help strengthen your app.

Reactions: 1 users

These are things you have in your control to show you are interested in this school. Make sure to write an update letter in your portal telling them what steps you have taken to improve your app.

Just off the top of my head and from speaking to an advisor these help strengthen your app.
Agreed. After not getting off the wait list, I met with an advisor right away to discuss ways to strengthen my application and show my interest in applying again. I also wrote a very detailed essay about how I improved not just statistically but mentally this time around.

OOS but I moved out here to Michigan a few months ago. MCAT 29 GPA 3.89 secondary completed 8/31 but I haven't heard anything back. Anyone else in the same boat? Are interview invites still going out for people who submitted late August?

Am I the only one still waiting to hear back after 9/11 interview

<------------------my face

As a DO/PhD Applicant, you might be on hold until Dr. McCormick decides?

Thanks for the advice! I definitely will look into writing an update letter in my portal.

Unfortunately, I live in California so it would take a bit of planning to just kind of go to the sites.

I think I definitely took a lot more time with the essays and made them more emotional. My gpa was a little higher this year too.

Don't get too worked up about it. Last year I didn't hear back till March when I applied in July and ended up getting wait listed. It's definitely hard not getting accepted but I'm actually thankful for the gap year. I have a fantastic job with great experience for med school and it's nice to just take a breather. But don't even worry about that for now. It's never too late to hear back! Feel free to message me if you have any other questions.

Thanks for the encouraging words! I will keep that in mind if anything comes up :)

Thanks for the advice! I definitely will look into writing an update letter in my portal.

Unfortunately, I live in California so it would take a bit of planning to just kind of go to the sites.
I think I remember from the secondary that they offer webinars or something like that? Maybe look into that. You just want to show that you are interested in the school.

I think I remember from the secondary that they offer webinars or something like that? Maybe look into that. You just want to show that you are interested in the school.
I didn't see that. I will definitely do that! Thanks!!

Best of luck to you!

Do you mind me asking what your stats were going in?

First time applying, IS, mcat 25, cGPA 3.78, sGPA 3.76. Currently working in the health care field as a medical laboratory scientist.

Last edited:
Don't think too much on IIs. I'm IS with a LizzyM of 65-66. I was complete 9/1, and got an II on the 15th

It really is a crapshoot tbh. Just focus on whatever is actually in your control

First time applying, IS, mcat 26, cGPA 3.78, sGPA 3.75. Currently working in the health care field as a medical laboratory scientist.
Probably a newb thing to ask, but what is IS?

Accepted 10/19. IS. Primary sent 6/6, secondary 7/28, II 9/11 afternoon session.
MCAT 28, GPA 3.56, Science GPA 3.67.
Bachelor of Fine Arts in Music.

Massage therapist 5 years. Will be 30 yo by program start.

Edit: I'd also like to note that I have bipolar disorder and owned up to to it in my application, so they really are serious when they say they want to know who you are.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
Accepted 10/19. IS. Primary sent 6/6, secondary 7/28, II 9/11 afternoon session.

Edit: I'd also like to note that I have bipolar disorder and owned up to to it in my application, so they really are serious when they say they want to know who you are.
Congratulations!!! :)

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Any 9/30 interviewees hear back yet? It seems like the 9/11 ones have the biggest turnaround so far.

Any 9/30 interviewees hear back yet? It seems like the 9/11 ones have the biggest turnaround so far.
They had to cancel a council meeting, so the last of the 9/11 people got their answers about a week late.

That's awesome. Congrats!! If you have any questions about any of the sites, feel free to message me. I'm at the DMC.

Im probably overthinking this but im worried about my suit for my interview. Its from Ann Taylor, black, but its cut shorter than a traditional suit and has sleeve that stop before the wrist. It is 'somewhat' trendy but still very conservative looking. Is this appropriate?

Im probably overthinking this but im worried about my suit for my interview. Its from Ann Taylor, black, but its cut shorter than a traditional suit and has sleeve that stop before the wrist. It is 'somewhat' trendy but still very conservative looking. Is this appropriate?
My sleeves were above the wrist too so i don't think it's an issue. There were some people in the interview that didn't even wear a jacket and just a cardigan so you're totally fine.

My sleeves were above the wrist too so i don't think it's an issue. There were some people in the interview that didn't even wear a jacket and just a cardigan so you're totally fine.

Thank you! You saved my day and my wallet. I haven't worn it in a while so I kind of forgot and then I started reading other forums and freaking out that it needed to be a 100% traditional suit.

Thank you! You saved my day and my wallet. I haven't worn it in a while so I kind of forgot and then I started reading other forums and freaking out that it needed to be a 100% traditional suit.
Haha no problem! Like I said, there were a few girls who weren't dressed like that and seemed to do fine. I don't think an inch or two off the wrist is a big concern. As long as it still looks professional and clean.

Haha no problem! Like I said, there were a few girls who weren't dressed like that and seemed to do fine. I don't think an inch or two off the wrist is a big concern. As long as it still looks professional and clean.

How many people were at your interview time?

I would say around 20