Michigan State University (MSUCOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does this school interview? I heard that they dont but I also hear that they do...
All candidates for admission will be interviewed starting this cycle. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
For the Clinical Experience page, when I put in an activity and submit, it disappears...And there's only boxes for one experience. Is it me or is there sthg wrong with it?

nvm I got it

What sort of information is appropriate for the "Additional Information" section? Since they are asking us to re-input all of our volunteering experience would it be wise to put work experience in the "Additional Information" section even though its in my AACOMAS app?? Plus WHAT'S UP WITH THIS ONE MONTH DEADLINE TO GET THE ENTIRE SECONDARY COMPLETE????? My letters are still not even received which can take "2-3 weeks".

Members don't see this ad :)
What sort of information is appropriate for the "Additional Information" section? Since they are asking us to re-input all of our volunteering experience would it be wise to put work experience in the "Additional Information" section even though its in my AACOMAS app?? Plus WHAT'S UP WITH THIS ONE MONTH DEADLINE TO GET THE ENTIRE SECONDARY COMPLETE????? My letters are still not even received which can take "2-3 weeks".
I believe I just had a list of major things I had done that would give them a better picture of me. For example, things like: being an Eagle Scout, being a college athlete, experiences as a musician, awards from school/volunteering, etc. So just bits and pieces that I felt represented me and weren't present elsewhere. That's one approach, at least.

And you should always try to get your secondaries in within a few weeks of receipt ;) If you've already sent in your letters, I wouldn't worry about the processing time on MSU's end.

I believe I just had a list of major things I had done that would give them a better picture of me. For example, things like: being an Eagle Scout, being a college athlete, experiences as a musician, awards from school/volunteering, etc. So just bits and pieces that I felt represented me and weren't present elsewhere. That's one approach, at least.

And you should always try to get your secondaries in within a few weeks of receipt ;) If you've already sent in your letters, I wouldn't worry about the processing time on MSU's end.
I'm aware of the unwritten two week rule :) It's not that that concerns me, its the letters. My letters have not been received by AACOMAS despite repeated reminding and communication with my authors. Earlier this week I sent out "thank-you" letters in the mail hoping to remind/woo them into sending them ASAP but now I'm nervous that a letter might not be forceful enough.

I'm aware of the unwritten two week rule :) It's not that that concerns me, its the letters. My letters have not been received by AACOMAS despite repeated reminding and communication with my authors. Earlier this week I sent out "thank-you" letters in the mail hoping to remind/woo them into sending them ASAP but now I'm nervous that a letter might not be forceful enough.
Sorry to hear that. I know letters can be a pain to get from people... have you thought about giving them a call or something a bit more direct than a letter? I'm sure admissions will be understanding if your letters lag a bit behind the secondary. Good luck!

Sorry to hear that. I know letters can be a pain to get from people... have you thought about giving them a call or something a bit more direct than a letter? I'm sure admissions will be understanding if your letters lag a bit behind the secondary. Good luck!
I've considered the phone call. I'm only nervous about bombarding them with communication. I wish I would have gotten my secondary just a day sooner so I could have mentioned the deadline in the letter :arghh:

For those who already got the secondary, did you have to upload a photo? I believe they have asked for one in the past?

Just out of curiosity, are you guys using up the full amount of words allowed for each question?

Just out of curiosity, are you guys using up the full amount of words allowed for each question?
I will probably use up as much space as it takes for me to answer the questions, but if I start to ramble on or fluff anything, I'll probably stop short.

For the parts where it says to relist our volunteer and shadowing are you guys going to straight copy and paste what you wrote in the primary or change it up a little?

I will probably use up as much space as it takes for me to answer the questions, but if I start to ramble on or fluff anything, I'll probably stop short.

For the parts where it says to relist our volunteer and shadowing are you guys going to straight copy and paste what you wrote in the primary or change it up a little?

+1

To answer my own question: on the secondary there is a very limited amount of space so all of my descriptions were pretty short and to the point.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm strongly considering not completing the secondary because of its high OOS tuition...

Super long secondary...Why do we have to list volunteer and clinical experiences/ coursework all over again...SMH

I absolutely refuse to complete this in one sitting:annoyed:
Are the questions the same as what was posted on here previously? Also, when did you apply? My app was sent out at the end of May and I have yet to receive a secondary :unsure:. Heading up north on vacation Tuesday through Sunday and I'm sure I'll be getting all of my secondaries while I am up there.....dang ittttt :(

Are the questions the same as what was posted on here previously? Also, when did you apply? My app was sent out at the end of May and I have yet to receive a secondary :unsure:. Heading up north on vacation Tuesday through Sunday and I'm sure I'll be getting all of my secondaries while I am up there.....dang ittttt :(
I'm with you in the "inopportune vacation time" boat... I was verified the 23rd and receive it the 26th

They have never interviewed previously, but I believe they will be performing interviews this year.
is this a rumor (which it seems) or an actual fact? I have yet to see a source...so im really unsure whether to believe or not

is this a rumor (which it seems) or an actual fact? I have yet to see a source...so im really unsure whether to believe or not
It is on the website under admissions process that they will be interviewing.

I applied on May 21st. Was verified on June 2nd. Started receiving secondaries last week.

I met with an admissions counselor this cycle(early May) and they confirmed there will be interviews starting this cycle.

Has anyone had there MCAT and Letters sent via AACOMAS and been marked as received. Mine are incomplete still at this point. I am ready to pay and submit otherwise.

Has anyone had there MCAT and Letters sent via AACOMAS and been marked as received. Mine are incomplete still at this point. I am ready to pay and submit otherwise.
how do you know they recieved your letters if you use AACOMAS?

...I dont, I was hoping one of you would shine some light on that. Watching that ticker count down doesn't help my anxiety

Last edited:
If you scroll to the bottom of the welcome page, it gives you the time your secondary has to be completed in
Secondary Application Deadline - Sunday, July 26, 2015 1:04 PM
(27 Days 1 Hour: 43 Minutes: 45 Seconds)..tick tick tick

If you scroll to the bottom of the welcome page, it gives you the time your secondary has to be completed in
Secondary Application Deadline - Sunday, July 26, 2015 1:04 PM
(27 Days 1 Hour: 43 Minutes: 45 Seconds)..tick tick tick
Is that once you get the secondary?? I haven't gotten one yet..

What on earth is meant by this prompt?

What is your legacy to your family, friends and the community at this point in your life?

Like what sort of impact have we made already? What our future actions mean to these groups?

For the part on the secondary where we have to re-list our shadowing experiences, how detailed are you guys getting when describing the experience?

For the part on the secondary where we have to re-list our shadowing experiences, how detailed are you guys getting when describing the experience?
Just a basic overview and summary of any super important memory (ex. seeing OMM) I want to make sure stands out. It is already on the primary so I went pretty general. It is so frustrating that we have to type all of this again!

What their specialties were and what kind of shift I shadowed them on

Just a basic overview and summary of any super important memory (ex. seeing OMM) I want to make sure stands out. It is already on the primary so I went pretty general. It is so frustrating that we have to type all of this again!
I know! It's so frustrating!

Officially submitted the secondary! :soexcited:

Reactions: 1 users
My MCAT is marked received. I just sent my letters through Interfolio so I can't speak to that.

My MCAT is marked received. I just sent my letters through Interfolio so I can't speak to that.

Do you know when you MCAT was marked as received? My official MCAT is on my aacomas application and I know CCOM has my official MCAT. MSUCOM doesn't have it though. I'm thinking maybe they just haven't downloaded it yet?

Do you know when you MCAT was marked as received? My official MCAT is on my aacomas application and I know CCOM has my official MCAT. MSUCOM doesn't have it though. I'm thinking maybe they just haven't downloaded it yet?
My official MCAT was marked received at MSU immediately after I submitted the secondary tonight. It didn't say my MCAT was received until after I paid and checked on the status tab. It now says everything is in but my LOR's which were sent through Interfolio yesterday.

Finally submitted and marked as complete. That was a tough secondary!

Finally submitted and marked as complete. That was a tough secondary!
Nice, yeah it was pretty tough! I got the email that my LOR's were received and I am fully complete as well!

Finally got my secondary! Warning to any people using a University of Michigan email (umich.edu) they do not send through to umich emails and that is why I was not receiving a secondary, had to create a new email.

Reactions: 1 users
In the additional information section, should I put job experience even though it is already in my Primary? They are having us transfer over all of our volunteer and clinical experience even though it is already on the primary, so I figured I would ask?

Can somebody summarize the secondary prompt for this year? And again, why is it not on post #1? Thank you.

Can somebody summarize the secondary prompt for this year? And again, why is it not on post #1? Thank you.
1) Describe in two to three paragraphs how you learned about the osteopathic profession and why you feel the profession is a good fit for you. 500 words maximum
2) How does the career of a physician fit with your characteristics and skill sets? 500
3) What is your legacy to your family, friends and the community at this point in your life? 250
4) If you had to choose a different career path what would that be? 250

I sent a message to hopefully get the first post modified.

Last edited: