Michigan State University (MSUCOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just received II!! I couldn't believe what I saw! I thought it was another mass email that surprised me! Does anyone know if class is full or not? (Am I interviewing for a waitlist spot)
They've been wait listing people since the beginning of the cycle, so there's no way to tell if the class is full and you're interviewing for a wait list. Since the timing of the interview has nothing to do with it. Even if it's filled this is one of the few schools I'd say to go for it even if you get wait listed since the wait list moves up pretty fast. Almost all tier 1 wait listers end up getting in.

Members don't see this ad.

They've been wait listing people since the beginning of the cycle, so there's no way to tell if the class is full and you're interviewing for a wait list. Since the timing of the interview has nothing to do with it. Even if it's filled this is one of the few schools I'd say to go for it even if you get wait listed since the wait list moves up pretty fast. Almost all tier 1 wait listers end up getting in.
Do they tell you if you are tier 1? How do they determine the tiers? Is it GPA/MCAT based?

Wow, congrats! When were you complete and your stats if you don't mind?
Hey,

I submitted my app back in August. My stat is below average with 3.2/3.4/26 (8/10/8). I'm surprised they even considered me for an interview. Maybe they liked my military and research experience? Anyways, I'm thankful for the opportunity and am crossing my fingers!

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Do they tell you if you are tier 1? How do they determine the tiers? Is it GPA/MCAT based?
They tell you which tier you're on and how good your chances are of getting in. Which is really nice on their part. Teir 1 has a I think a 90% chance tier 2 was like 50:50 and tier 3 they tell you to apply again next year after meeting with a msucom advisor. So they really try to help you out no matter what ends up happening after the interview. If you enjoy the school I think you should go for it, the interview itself is a fun experience.

I'm not really sure what the tiers are based on. Pretty sure it's based on your interview performance and the overall application.

Reactions: 1 users
They tell you which tier you're on and how good your chances are of getting in. Which is really nice on their part. Teir 1 has a I think a 90% chance tier 2 was like 50:50 and tier 3 they tell you to apply again next year after meeting with a msucom advisor. So they really try to help you out no matter what ends up happening after the interview. If you enjoy the school I think you should go for it, the interview itself is a fun experience.

I'm not really sure what the tiers are based on. Pretty sure it's based on your interview performance and the overall application.
Do you remember where 90% chance tier 1 came from?

Do you remember where 90% chance tier 1 came from?
We asked during the presentation what each tier means, and Katherine told us each tier percentiles. I could be off at the percentage, but if you're tier one she said you have extremely good chance of getting in. In the wait list email the send they also tell you what your chances are, maybe someone who was wait listed could elaborate more based on what their email said.

Reactions: 1 user
Just received II!! I couldn't believe what I saw! I thought it was another mass email that surprised me! Does anyone know if class is full or not? (Am I interviewing for a waitlist spot)

What interview dates were available for you to choose from?

any recent update email from Jan or Dec that someone can copy & paste? Apparently those on the waitlist do not receive the monthly updates in regards to number of acceptance, number of deposits....

any recent update email from Jan or Dec that someone can copy & paste? Apparently those on the waitlist do not receive the monthly updates in regards to number of acceptance, number of deposits....

I dont think they have sent out an update since November.

For those of you who are accepted, What do you do in your free time?
I just find it interesting because MSUCOM has accepted people even in August. Having an application cycle that short must be like the best thing ever. :nod:

That's simply not true. I was waitlisted, and I've received updates since then--albeit, I haven't gotten the dec or jan update, but no one has gotten that.

We asked during the presentation what each tier means, and Katherine told us each tier percentiles. I could be off at the percentage, but if you're tier one she said you have extremely good chance of getting in. In the wait list email the send they also tell you what your chances are, maybe someone who was wait listed could elaborate more based on what their email said.

They don't tell you in your WL email what your teir is. You have to call and ask the receptionist to decipher the wording. Although I think we posted all of this in this thread, so you could also just look here.

All AACOMAS Applicants: 5367
Applicants Interviewed: 497
Seat Deposits Paid: 260 (includes Canadian)
Canadian Seat Deposits Paid: 24
MCAT average of accepted applicants: 29/506
Science GPA average of accepted applicants: 3.6

Members don't see this ad :)
All AACOMAS Applicants: 5367
Applicants Interviewed: 497
Seat Deposits Paid: 260 (includes Canadian)
Canadian Seat Deposits Paid: 24
MCAT average of accepted applicants: 29/506
Science GPA average of accepted applicants: 3.6

They've almost filled the class!

They've almost filled the class!
Remember that includes canadian applicants. Total class size is 325 including canadians. So for American applicants they had 236 paid deposits out of 300.

Reactions: 2 users
Also got the call for acceptance today, will be paying the deposit tonight. GPA 3.4, 3.5 MCAT 24 and 501. She mentioned that my interview was what made the decision for them. Just an FYI for anyone with below average stats.

Reactions: 7 users
Also got the call for acceptance today, will be paying the deposit tonight. GPA 3.4, 3.5 MCAT 24 and 501. She mentioned that my interview was what made the decision for them. Just an FYI for anyone with below average stats.
Congrats! I was there with you on that day! Hoping to hear back from them this week.

Interviewed Dec 11.

Just received the acceptance email! Canadian, s/cGPA 3.7x, 33 MCAT. I never got a call but it would have been nice to know how I did on the interview (first MMI).

Watched Ballo d'or ceremony with my cell on max vol....no call. Going to pray tonite ....

To those that are already students at MSUCOM, I was wondering if you could shed some light on the required preceptorship experiences? For example, it says online that you need to do two of the three, but do you have the choice of which two? Also, is there any way to know when exactly you will be in them? I am trying to think about planning a wedding (maybe August 2017), but I was wondering if there's any way that I could guarantee that I would be open during that time.
Thanks!

To those that are already students at MSUCOM, I was wondering if you could shed some light on the required preceptorship experiences? For example, it says online that you need to do two of the three, but do you have the choice of which two? Also, is there any way to know when exactly you will be in them? I am trying to think about planning a wedding (maybe August 2017), but I was wondering if there's any way that I could guarantee that I would be open during that time.
Thanks!
Hey Jesebelle,

We were able to rank the available weeks (10 to choose from) and exclude any weeks that included pre-arranged plans. So you don't have an exact choice over your scheduled weeks, but you do have some say. You also indicated 3-4 counties within Michigan that you would prefer to have your preceptorship, but that, again, is not guaranteed. I think it's fair to say that a wedding would be a "pre-arranged plan" that could exempt you from ranking one of the weeks. :)

@SpartanWolverine
Okay great that alleviates a lot of stress I was starting to think I was going to have to wait until after med school haha
Thank you very much!!!

Taltos did you do anything specifically to prepare for your interview? I am interviewing on Friday.

Taltos did you do anything specifically to prepare for your interview? I am interviewing on Friday.

I read some articles debating health care issues and googled practice questions. I think it helped, I had an idea of what to expect even though it won't be the same. Make sure to breath slowly and speak clear and concise. Just be yourself and support any answer with your beliefs.

I read some articles debating health care issues and googled practice questions. I think it helped, I had an idea of what to expect even though it won't be the same. Make sure to breath slowly and speak clear and concise. Just be yourself and support any answer with your beliefs.
Thank you so much!

Would it be worth it to send a letter of intent to MSU-COM ?

When and where do we do the drug test for those who are admitted?

In lights of the Canadian dollar, just wondering what the consensus here is for Canadian students that have been accepted and paid deposits, now that tuition will be looking ~88k even including the 20k scholarship provided by MSU. Are accepted Canadian students thinking about waiving their seat in favour of another school?

And has any Canadian on the wait-list been offered a seat?

Good luck everyone. Praying for a recovery of the Canadian dollar!!

In lights of the Canadian dollar, just wondering what the consensus here is for Canadian students that have been accepted and paid deposits, now that tuition will be looking ~88k even including the 20k scholarship provided by MSU. Are accepted Canadian students thinking about waiving their seat in favour of another school?

And has any Canadian on the wait-list been offered a seat?

Good luck everyone. Praying for a recovery of the Canadian dollar!!

It is quite unfortunate that the Canadian dollar is in this state, more unfortunate is the number of students that will have to turn away because of this. The CND is slated to recover roughly around 2020 which is when I'll probably be paying back a lot of my loans. I've thought about this and I still think MSUCOM is worth it based on many personal factors. How I see it is at the end of all this I should have no trouble paying off my loans, albeit it might take a year or 2 more to repay.

My choice is so strong that I declined a interview at KCUMB which has a annual tuition of ~44K USD. I just hope I'm not making any mistakes. I'm fortunate to have the support of my family.

Does anyone from 12/11 pm session have received a call from MSU. Please post...tnx

Can any current/previous students comment if MSU is friendly towards nontrad and someone with family? I know some schools are very supportive and have good number of non trad population. Also, is Lansing a good place to raise a family? Thanks!

Can any current/previous students comment if MSU is friendly towards nontrad and someone with family? I know some schools are very supportive and have good number of non trad population. Also, is Lansing a good place to raise a family? Thanks!

Last edited:
I can't talk abt MSU as their policy, but I am a non trad, I came from Europe with MD degree, here in the US I passed all USMLE exams , exams required to apply for residency. Unfortunately I needed to wait long time for my green card and bcs of I did received it 11 years after I applied I lost the slimmest chance to secure a residency. Working full time at DMC, bcs I have family to support-wife and 7y.o. daughter, I decided to take MCAT. I really wanted to be a doctor since I don't know anything else to do. I spent my entire life in Hospital. While waiting for my green card, I did over 14 research projects in the big three hospital in MI- DMC, St John, Beaumont. So with not that great mcat score but with outstanding CV I put my trust in MSUCOM and I applied only there, nowhere else, again since I was married and didn't want to go to any other state. Here I had an interview on 11/12 and today I got email rejecting me.
Don't know why I got rejected, but I doubt I can improve my application. But I can say as non trad student and with the experience I have I am hurt and very disappointed, I wish I had applied everywhere.
Probably over all MSUCOM is not non trad friendly, probably the fact I already passed all USMLE exams did hurt me. But the fact is I need to look somewhere else and ask questions before applying, I don't want to repeat same mistake.
Good luck to every one.

I'm sorry to hear that you got rejected at MSUCOM. Since you said you don't know what else to do other than being a doctor, I would say try it again next year! I'm not sure what your MCAT score was, but I would aim to get at least 26 and apply early and broadly! I understand that you want to stay in Michigan, but you and your family may have to make some sacrifices (i.e. moving) in order to become a doctor. I hope you have full support from your family! With your experience, I've no doubt you will get an acceptance next year! Good luck!

I'm sorry to hear that you got rejected at MSUCOM. Since you said you don't know what else to do other than being a doctor, I would say try it again next year! I'm not sure what your MCAT score was, but I would aim to get at least 26 and apply early and broadly! I understand that you want to stay in Michigan, but you and your family may have to make some sacrifices (i.e. moving) in order to become a doctor. I hope you have full support from your family! With your experience, I've no doubt you will get an acceptance next year! Good luck!

Last edited:
The question is, if I have mcat score of 35 let's say, would this make me a smarter person than I am now. If mcat is so important where stands M.D. degree earn 6 years in European University, as well where we would put USMLE exams- national board exams for US students in allopathic medical school. I did my very best on.mcat, yes probably I
could have done better if I was not full time working ( I am working over time every check so I can pay my daughter medical bill, she broke her arm and had surgery at UofM)
If MSUCOM declare experience and volunteering makes huge impact in their selection, why I was not even wait listed. When come hours of research experience I have thousands, because I was doing it for over 6 years.
Hey, I'm not here to troll, I'm just confused- what else do I need to do so I can get in. Where should I focus so I can be at least wait listed. For sure I won't do any research anymore, then it must be academic improvement. My gpa comes from my M.D degree, not much there to improve as well. So I guess MCAT which really makes me sad- not good mcat wipes off everything I have a achieved! I mean REALLY!?
Thanks for the good words, and good luck, I hope you get accepted. Peace...
Hey @madridista,

It sounds like you're really disappointed with how your season turned out at MSUCOM... which is understandable based on all of your experience and hard work. Did you ever talk to an admissions advisor at COM to see what their advice might be? If you're considering applying next year, I would definitely recommend giving admissions a call to schedule an advising meeting so that you can find out what was deficient in your application and/or why you may not have been successful this year. If you were granted an interview, chances are good that your numbers were okay -- there may have been other aspects to your application or interview that were deciding factors and could be improved in the meantime.

Best of luck!

Hey @madridista,

It sounds like you're really disappointed with how your season turned out at MSUCOM... which is understandable based on all of your experience and hard work. Did you ever talk to an admissions advisor at COM to see what their advice might be? If you're considering applying next year, I would definitely recommend giving admissions a call to schedule an advising meeting so that you can find out what was deficient in your application and/or why you may not have been successful this year. If you were granted an interview, chances are good that your numbers were okay -- there may have been other aspects to your application or interview that were deciding factors and could be improved in the meantime.

Last edited:
Have any accepted applicants received a letter containing information about how to set up student email and PAN number yet? I called and admissions said it would be sent out last week but I still haven't received anything.

Have any accepted applicants received a letter containing information about how to set up student email and PAN number yet? I called and admissions said it would be sent out last week but I still haven't received anything.
No, nobody has yet. Word on the FB page is they are coming in February.

Mini-rant:

It sucks, because I can't defer my undergrad loan payments until I'm registered as a medical student! And from what I understand, we're not officially registered as students until we get these PID/PAN ID numbers set up.
Paying back monthly student loans, while trying to save up for medical school, especially when my paychecks are garbage, is a struggle lol.

Mini-rant:

It sucks, because I can't defer my undergrad loan payments until I'm registered as a medical student! And from what I understand, we're not officially registered as students until we get these PID/PAN ID numbers set up.
Paying back monthly student loans, while trying to save up for medical school, especially when my paychecks are garbage, is a struggle lol.

You could always opt for an income based repayment plan.

Hi! I was wondering who you wrote your thank you notes out to? Just the admissions committee in general? I forgot to write a thank you note for my last interview and want to make sure I do this time!

Hi! I was wondering who you wrote your thank you notes out to? Just the admissions committee in general? I forgot to write a thank you note for my last interview and want to make sure I do this time!
It's definitely not something you need to do, but you can address it to Dr. Ruger/the admissions office/interviewers/the admissions committee/whomever you'd like. They usually get shared with all those involved regardless. :)